PDA

View Full Version : 32" 1080p TV + HD 5770 + HDMI = Crap

SMASH
January 10th, 2010, 01:09 PM
So I have a Vizio 1080p 32" HD TV and I also got an ATI HD 5770 for Christmas. I figured I would used the HDMI plugs and get beautiful picture out of it, and I tried it and it not only looked like crap, but it also was very glitchy and there were artifacts all over the screen. Right now I have it hooked up via PC monitor cable but with the blu-ray movies I watch they look like garbage. Any advice?

Kornman00
January 10th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Right now I have it hooked up via PC monitor cable but with the blu-ray movies I watch they look like garbage. Any advice?
Erm, what kind of monitor cable? I've only seen DVI to HDMI converter cables but even then that's not real HD so I wouldn't expect it to look HDish unless the card comes with an actual HDMI output port

kid908
January 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM
^
what he said. get a card with HDMI port.

SMASH
January 10th, 2010, 03:44 PM
No, right now I'm doing straight DVI to DVI and it's alright but it's not the best. If you had read what I wrote I have a HD 5770, which HAS a HDMI port but the video I get out of it looks like garbage.

So DVI -> DVI is usable
HDMI -> HDMI looks like garbage

Abdurahman
January 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
DVI is exactly the same as HDMI except it doesn't carry sound. You can try DVI-HDMI or try a VGA cable. That can carry HD too. It might work better.

SMASH
January 10th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I'm sorry I got my terminology mixed up, I'm running VGA from my computer to my TV. HDMI isn't better than VGA?

Amit
January 10th, 2010, 05:03 PM
^
what he said. get a card with HDMI port.

All HD 5000 Series video cards have a physical HDMI output, one Display Port output, and at least one DVI output. hth. It looks like he's using this HDMI port to run a HDMI cable stright to the TV and have messed video.

I'm sorry I got my terminology mixed up, I'm running VGA from my computer to my TV. HDMI isn't better than VGA?

HDMI is miles better than VGA and it carries audio, otherwise nobody would use it. I noticed a large improvement over VGA when I used the DVI port over the VGA port on an old X1600PRO card that had both VGA and DVI outputs on it.

Abdurahman
January 10th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Well, if yoyu are on VGA now, have you set up the resulotion for the tv?
if you set up the wrong res it will look like shite. Try an HDMI cable from the 5770 to the TV it will look good. But first try to change the screen resolution.

AAA
January 10th, 2010, 05:05 PM
No, HDMI is better than VGA.

SMASH
January 10th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Yes, the resolution is at full 1080p. It doesn't look bad with the VGA but I'm sure if the HDMI worked it would look better. But if I take out the VGA and put in the HDMI the image looks shittacular. Amit has it right.

Cortexian
January 10th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Did you actually configure TV output using the ATI control panel?

I know when I hooked my GTX 285 up to a 1080p projector via HDMI we went through a receiver/amplifier and had to change some settings on both the receiver and projector to get the result we wanted. However we only experienced image squishing and distortion due to it, nothing like you're describing.

Almost sounds like one of the following is messed up:
• HDMI Out Port
• HDMI Cable
• HDMI In Port

SMASH
January 10th, 2010, 05:34 PM
It's not the HDMI Cable cause I tried several, and it's not the in port cause i tried the couple that were back there. Can you describe what you did to adjust the picture, cause that sounds or of like what was happening.

Amit
January 10th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I don't know what CCC looks like when HDMI is plugged in. I would take my computer all the way downstairs and hook it up to my TV, but it's a large hassle.

klange
January 10th, 2010, 09:37 PM
HDMI is auto-configuring on the driver side. It knows what you're attached to down to the model number.

Remember, HDMI is DVI + (optional) encryption - big ass cable + audio. It could be that your TV wants encryption and the card isn't doing it (this leads to the entire system downscaling considerably = low resolutions + shitty picture on purpose) or the other way around (your card wants to encrypt but your TV is refusing, same results). Just throwing that out there.

SMASH
January 10th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Remember, HDMI is DVI + (optional) encryption - big ass cable + audio. It could be that your TV wants encryption and the card isn't doing it (this leads to the entire system downscaling considerably = low resolutions + shitty picture on purpose) or the other way around (your card wants to encrypt but your TV is refusing, same results). Just throwing that out there.

That sounds about what my problem might be. Do you have any info on how to fix it?

SMASH
January 13th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Bump with pic... this is the best I could make it look. At 1080p resolution I still had to use ATI Overscale to scale it up to fit the screen:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/205/mody.png

I updated my bios and any and all other drivers I could think of too.

Guys, I'm begging for help... I can't figure this out...

kid908
January 13th, 2010, 09:46 PM
All HD 5000 Series video cards have a physical HDMI output, one Display Port output, and at least one DVI output. hth. It looks like he's using this HDMI port to run a HDMI cable stright to the TV and have messed video.

HDMI is miles better than VGA and it carries audio, otherwise nobody would use it. I noticed a large improvement over VGA when I used the DVI port over the VGA port on an old X1600PRO card that had both VGA and DVI outputs on it.

Sorry, I've been on laps lately and haven't used desktop in over 2-3 years. I'm not all that updated on new cards.

@SMASH: what is the purpose of the pic? For the scale, are any of your zoom function active on your tv? It could be that.

If not, I tend to have to fix my display settings on the computer to get it view correctly on the tv via HDMI. I haven't connected my lap to tv lately, but mess around with the display setting until it's correct.

I had a problem of my tv not displaying my entire desktop view(it was zoomed in too much) so i had to lower the res (even tho the tv was hd and i wasn't displaying it at hd res on the laptop).

SMASH
January 13th, 2010, 09:59 PM
It's not the settings, been working on them for hours and it's at its best.

And the pic is to show the low resolution look of the text... especially the top part of firefox.

kid908
January 13th, 2010, 10:08 PM
It's not the settings, been working on them for hours and it's at its best.

And the pic is to show the low resolution look of the text... especially the top part of firefox.

Looks fine to me. PrtSc doesn't show the quality displayed by the monitor, only the quality of the image your card is putting out. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Cortexian
January 13th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Looks fine to me. PrtSc doesn't show the quality displayed by the monitor, only the quality of the image your card is putting out. (correct me if I'm wrong).
This, it looks crystal clear to me in that image.