PDA

View Full Version : FP bone question

t3h m00kz
January 21st, 2010, 02:00 AM
Just real fast. Is there a way to get the arms to move without being affected by the location and rotation of Frame Bone24?

Like, if I want to move the shoulders but not have to be bothered with Frame Bone24, as rotating it also fucks up the location of my gun, since it's also linked to that bone

t3h m00kz
January 21st, 2010, 09:54 AM
Got it, easy fix. Just deleted the Frame Bone24 bone and replaced it with a 1x1x1 box, renaming that to Frame Bone24. Seems to work well, hopefully won't give me issues in-game.

ODX
January 22nd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Nope, all you've got to do is just delete that, make another object (it can be anything, really. I use spheres) at whatever size you really want, and then just link the upper arms to it. Works fine, no problems with in-game.

ICEE
January 22nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
as long as the upper arms are linked and the bone is named frame bone24 it will have no problems.

JackalStomper
January 25th, 2010, 01:43 PM
wow, what a hack.

Hierarchy panel -> Link Info -> Inherit

use it.

No deleting, no renaming or new objects. Just makes whatever bone you selected no longer effected by parent nodes. Still works on export too

t3h m00kz
January 30th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Oh snap. Neat trick.

While I'm on the subject, I need to ask if it's possible to twist arm bones after they've been IK'd? I hear Forward Kinematics can be used to do that.

E: On second glance, Inheret doesn't seem to do what I want it to. I was looking for being able to move the arms wherever I want, but not have to worry about twisting and moving Frame Bone 24 in order to move shoulders. So, what I was going for was having Frame Bone 24 and the rest of the rig to be completely independent of each other.

FRain
January 31st, 2010, 01:09 PM
Got it, easy fix. Just deleted the Frame Bone24 bone and replaced it with a 1x1x1 box, renaming that to Frame Bone24. Seems to work well, hopefully won't give me issues in-game.

Just a little side note to anyone who sees this, you should ALWAYS do that. It worked for me and I used it for a while. It makes your arms alot more moveable. It makes it so your fp arms dont come out of your throat.

wow, what a hack.

Hierarchy panel -> Link Info -> Inherit

use it.

No deleting, no renaming or new objects. Just makes whatever bone you selected no longer effected by parent nodes. Still works on export too

That's actually MORE of a hack than making a new one. It's just the way bones that are child of another bone can only rotate, not move. Therefore, if you make the parent bone a box, then it doesn't handle like a retard. As far as I know, all halo's exporter and importer look at is the position, rotation, and scale values for each frame. It doesn't really care about hiearchy as long as its a child of frame bone24

JackalStomper
February 1st, 2010, 08:31 AM
Gah, Just did a test with an HI Solver attached, It doesn't allow you to change it's inherit properties. Sorry! :(

But that doesn't mean it locks to rotate only..... are you guys hitting the "lock" option on accident instead?

Seriously when using inherit I have NEVER had that problem...

While I'm on the subject, I need to ask if it's possible to twist arm bones after they've been IK'd?

If you're talking about twisting the bones manually, NO.

However,
If you're using a HI solver (which you should be) Then it's on the motion panel, IK Solver Properties Rollout. Swivel Angle. You can pick a object to be the swivel target if you really want to. I just use the spinner

While on this topic, I have a few things to say...
Look at any of bungie's FP animations, go ahead and import them. What do you see? NONE of them have the shoulders moving independently from bone24. Why? You shouldn't need to. If your weapon needs to be free you should have either used the inherit option on it, or a link constraint that's linked to the world. If it needs to move with the right hand, either link it to the right hand. Or bone24 with a link contraint to the right hand. You can then move the shoulders with bone24 all you want. :|

t3h m00kz
February 2nd, 2010, 10:23 PM
The way Bungie does it isn't the right or wrong way to do it. No reason an animator couldn't move the shoulders.

Inferno
February 2nd, 2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah. The only part of a animation that truly matters is the part that will be shown in the game. Having your off screen movements look correct is just a bonus.

JackalStomper
February 3rd, 2010, 10:56 AM
That's not my point.

I'm trying to show that the animations halo was made by don't have the shoulders moving for a reason....you...can't? I guess :S

ICEE
February 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
That's not my point.

I'm trying to show that the animations halo was made by don't have the shoulders moving for a reason....you...can't? I guess :S

Bungie probably had a much better system of constraints than what most animators in this community use, because they move their elbows naturally without moving the shoulders. If you're using the standard IK set up thats out there, and try to animate without moving the shoulders, its going to look like shit. Thats just the way it is. The point is to move the shoulders without making it look painfully obvious. Make it look good, thats all that matters.

FRain
February 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Um, we're not saying to delink the upperarms, just turn bone24 into a box instead. It will still inherit motion from the bone24 node, but it will still be coming out of your neck.