PDA

View Full Version : Would this type of community project be possible?

il Duce Primo
January 28th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I've had this idea floating in my head for a while now and I would like to see other's opinions on the matter.

The idea is a project to create 2-3 maps with custom weapons that would replace a few old weapons but still retain the Halo style. The weapons would not be remakes from other Halo games.

The project would be pushed foreward with community support from people working on assets. The community can model, texture, and animate and get a few bucks in return. Most of the funding would come from community donations but I'm willing to kick start the project off with a $300 donation. All money would be dealt through Paypal.

The people working on assets wouldn't be getting payed a lot. The amount for assets would vary between $5-50 depending on what exactly it is. An example of this would be, about $20-30 for a weapon model. This isn't a huge chunk of money but it is some that can be enjoyed.

Right now I'm curious to what the community has to say about this. The questions I have are:

Would you work on game assets?
Would you donate money to support the project?
Do you think this could be succesful, why or why not?

Inferno
January 28th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Give me money so I can work on a mod.

Also. You know how we are about "community projects".

KThxBai.

Higuy
January 28th, 2010, 03:30 PM
1, yes
2, probably, if I worked on it
3, Not really. And heres why. Most people would probably love to get payed for working on something they love, even if it isn't that much. However, people work at there own pace, and especially when a designated team isn't working on such a project, things would get pretty hectic. That being said, it'd most likely become unorganized in the long run, and in the end not worth it. I'm not saying its not possible, but I don't think it would be a good idea to invest money into something that might never even really kick off, or that might not turn out very good in the long run.

If you want to donate, I'd go donate to Halomaps or here. (But to be honest, I think 300 dollars is rather high)

flibitijibibo
January 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
1. Not really. Unless wav files count.
2. I would, if it were on Unreal/Source.
3. It may be successful to the developers, but come on. It's Halo CE. This project would do perfectly fine on a newer, better engine. I'll say it again and again, put the poor thing out of its misery.

Inferno
January 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Do this in unreal. I'll help you with that. Unreal is a fucking sex engine.

jcap
January 28th, 2010, 06:10 PM
If you want a really good project, start remodeling the Halo 1 levels with extra-detailed 100,000-poly levels (yes, that's about average) for Halo 3 PC. If Halo 3 PC fails, then just throw it into Unreal with the Beast lighting engine that could be licensed from donations.

flibitijibibo
January 28th, 2010, 06:21 PM
^ That's such a good idea to me that it seems like a joke. Why is this?

Inferno
January 28th, 2010, 09:17 PM
^ That's such a good idea to me that it seems like a joke. Why is this?

Because he insinuated that halo 3 pc would come out.

jcap
January 28th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Because he insinuated that halo 3 pc would come out.
And that it would come with a decent editing kit. :lolugh:

Inferno
January 28th, 2010, 09:23 PM
And that it would come with a decent editing kit. :lolugh:

You am funny guy jcap!

:downs:

p0lar_bear
January 28th, 2010, 09:28 PM
1. No, I'm breaking under some stress lately and tend to just wander off and do my own thing, i.e. whatever the fuck I feel like doing. I wouldn't trust myself with payment related to small-time video game modding.
2. No, I'm broke as fuck. I'd be doing it for the money.
3. No. The Halo CE community has proven, especially with Yoyorast's video contest, that when money gets involved, shit will go south. It's a community of newbie to mediocre pseudoprofessionals who get butthurt whenever real talent shows up and is recognized. I am not attempting to single out anyone or make anyone feel bad, but if you stop and think about it, this IS what happens here and at Halomaps.

I'm not saying that this is a terrible idea and you should kill you're saelf for thinking of it, but rather if you want to go through with it, tread lightly and put a LOT of thought into making it work.

jcap
January 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM
If you want a really good project, start remodeling the Halo 1 levels with extra-detailed 100,000-poly levels (yes, that's about average) for Halo 3 PC. If Halo 3 PC fails, then just throw it into Unreal with the Beast lighting engine that could be licensed from donations.
Or if you're going to be remodeling and scripting literally everything, you could take on that Halo Wars FPS idea I had. :U

Rob Oplawar
January 28th, 2010, 09:45 PM
But... but... Project Shockwave is coming. Someday.

Inferno
January 28th, 2010, 10:08 PM

Jokes are funny. So is jcap.

=sw=warlord
January 30th, 2010, 12:36 PM
your a little late buddy,Project shockwave came out in 06.:iamafag:

Lateksi
January 30th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Actually, I think people would be interested in this even without payment. I would.

Hunter
January 30th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I might, depends on what it is. Just contact me if you need, and I will see if I am interested and have time :)

Corndogman
February 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Eh, the majority of people in this community don't even use legally owned software anyways. Idk about you, but I wouldn't attempt to make money without having a legal copy of the program I'm using. I wouldn't want to increase the risk of getting in trouble. That's just me though.