PDA

View Full Version : *News* Trouble In The Skies

TeeKup
April 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Today I learned some information thats a little bit startling and confusing.

April 22, 2007
Release #: 2007-06B
Blue Angel Identified Following Beaufort Crash
PENSACOLA, Fla. – An F/A-18A Hornet assigned to the Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron crashed during yesterday’s air show at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, SC. The pilot, who did not survive, has been identified.

Blue Angel #6 was flown by Lt. Cmdr. Kevin J. Davis, 32, of Pittsfield, Mass. He served as the opposing solo pilot. This was Davis’ second year on the team and his first year as a demonstration pilot.

At approximately 4 p.m. EST yesterday, Davis was joining the Delta formation for the final maneuver of the aerial demonstration when the mishap occurred. The crash occurred approximately three miles outside the air station.

The other five Blue Angel jets were not involved in the incident and landed safely moments later.

The cause of the accident is currently under investigation.

Lt. Cmdr. Davis’ official biography may be downloaded from the squadron’s website at http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/officers/06.pdf (http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/officers/06.pdf.). (http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/officers/06.pdf.)

The Blue Angels have been a symbol of pride and strength in the USAF, I'm wondering how this is going to affect the rest of the public.

In other news, NASA's space shuttle program is expected to retire by 2009 to make room for the new Constellation project. Billions of dollars of equipment is expected to be disposed of along with alot of jobs. :S

NASA prepares for the beginning of the end of the shuttle era

Issue date: 4/24/07 Section: Science and Tech (http://media.www.stateronline.com/news/2007/04/24/ScienceandTech/)
Originally published: 4/23/07 at 10:48 PM EST Last update: 4/23/07 at 10:48 PM EST

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (MCT) — With only three years remaining before the space-shuttle fleet's planned retirement, NASA managers have begun tackling the thorny issues that will dictate the program's end.

Critical facilities must be overhauled to support planned human missions to the moon. Billions of dollars' worth of obsolete shuttle hardware must be disposed of. And, most difficult of all, thousands of jobs must be shifted or eliminated as the shuttle era ends and the new Constellation project takes off.

"Because it touches so many buildings and pieces of equipment and — most important of all — people, it requires a lot of technical management and attention every day," said Joel Kearns, transition manager for NASA's space-operations division at the agency's headquarters in Washington. "It's a really big retirement and closeout."

Nowhere will the changes be felt more keenly than at Kennedy Space Center, which will see a transformation of its work force, facilities and operations. However, the changes also will impact at least three other NASA field centers that play a major role in sending humans to space: Johnson Space Center in Houston; Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala.; and Stennis Space Center near Bay St. Louis, Miss.

Today, there are about 13,000 full-time workers at KSC, consisting of roughly 11,000 contractors and 2,000 government employees. Most of them work on the shuttle.

One of NASA's biggest challenges is to avoid an early exodus of critically skilled employees as the program winds down.

"We have a real challenge to make sure that the people who work so hard at KSC and at the support centers around KSC stay all the way until the end, because it's only with the right skilled people that we can be sure we can fly safe," Kearns said.

Moving workers from shuttle operations to the Constellation programs is another challenge.

Though NASA wants to retain workers with essential skills, many abilities required in today's shuttle program will not be needed to prepare the new Orion spacecraft for flight. An example is the dozens of workers who repair and replace the heat-resistant tiles that protect the shuttle during its fiery re-entry through Earth's atmosphere. The Orion capsule will feature a different type of heat shield.

There are 3 other pages on the website concerning this: http://media.www.stateronline.com/media/storage/paper867/news/2007/04/24/ScienceAndTech/Nasa-Prepares.For.The.Beginning.Of.The.End.Of.The.Shutt le.Era-2875677.shtml

The Constellation Project information can be found here:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/constellation/main/index.html

This is probably going to cause some financial setbacks for NASA. I have my doubts about the Constellation Project, but then again the Space Shuttle's weren't all that save either.

Discuss.

Emmzee
April 24th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I hope they're giving that stuff away. I want me a space shuttle!

Rob Oplawar
April 24th, 2007, 04:23 PM
My dad is actually very high up in the constellation project, working on the Orion Crew Exploration Vehicle. This may be a little biased therefore, because I'll naturally want to defend it, but from what I know, capsules (like the new CEV) are MUCH safer, more reliable, more efficient, and just a better idea, than the Space Shuttle. Don't get me wrong, I still maintain that the Space Shuttle is the most beautiful machine ever concieved by man, but if you look at the thing, it takes a whole hell of a lot more to get it to work right than to get a capsule to work.

As for the loss of jobs- at the moment, there are several thousand people working on CEV alone, not to mention the rest of Orion and the planned moon missions.

As far as I'm concerned, much as I love the Space Shuttle, it's about time they upgraded. The Space Shuttle program didn't seem to be going anywhere, but Constellation looks very promising to be returning us to the moon in the next decade or so, and from there on to Mars. If Constellation is succesful, and I have every reason to believe it will be, I think it will be just the push NASA needs to get started on some serious planning for a manned Mars mission.

On to the Blue Angels:
Yeah I heard about that. That really is a shame. It is surely a setback, but I think the Blue Angels will survive it and remain a prideworthy symbol for years to come. Especially since my best friend just joined the US Air Force, I hope only the best for them. I didn't bother too much before, but I'm going to start showing support for my friend's sake. I don't know about this war in Iraq, but I recognize the need for a strong air force, and I think that's just what we've got, and I approve.

Cortexian
April 24th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Snow Birds (http://www.snowbirds.forces.gc.ca/site/index_e.asp) > Blue Angels (http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/)

Snowbirds win more.

mined
April 24th, 2007, 09:59 PM
The Blue Angels have been a symbol of pride and strength in the USAF, I'm wondering how this is going to affect the rest of the public.

How dare you defile the life of a fine naval officer by lowering his status to that of an USAF member! Shame on you. :p

But anyway, this is sad. Naval and Marine pilots don't earn a seat with the Blue Angels without proving it with thousands of hours of exemplary flying and combat experience. It is amazing what these pilots can accomplish only to be but down by the likes of a bird strike.

Rob Oplawar
April 25th, 2007, 12:51 AM
>.< oh yeah they is navy. now i feel dum. but i still show my support for the air force. and i still say go blue angels.

Kornman00
April 25th, 2007, 01:08 AM
How dare you defile the life of a fine naval officer by lowering his status to that of an USAF member!
Military > you. Now shut up

Bill Gates should buy a space shuttle and then upgrade it to Vista and fly it to the moon, then claim it as property of MS, then make it one big giant office for Bungie. Why? Because MS has the money, thats why. *waits for Vista bashers*

Money shouldn't be a problem as long as they sell the out-dated gear, there are TONS of hobbyists and money spenders out there that will pour millions into buying their shit.

EDIT: But I want to know what happened to those upgraded shuttles NASA seemed to be working on. I thought they'd be cheaper than rocket-style shuttles in the long run...

Emmzee
April 25th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Bill Gates should buy a space shuttle and then upgrade it to Vista and fly it to the moon, then claim it as property of MS, then make it one big giant office for Bungie. Why? Because MS has the money, thats why. *waits for Vista bashers*
OMG VISTA SUX AND U SUX MAC OS 7 US TEH WAY TO GOE!!!!

Limited
April 25th, 2007, 10:46 AM
RIP Blue angel dude.

It's sad to see one of the best of the best die. Yet he died doing what he loved.

Do they know why he crashed? Aircraft failure?

mined
April 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Military > you. Now you shut up. Don't make me pull rank on you, korny. :D

rossmum
April 26th, 2007, 03:33 AM
RIP Blue angel dude.

It's sad to see one of the best of the best die. Yet he died doing what he loved.

Do they know why he crashed? Aircraft failure?
Apparently he just clipped a tall pine, but not 100% sure on that one.

Cortexian
April 26th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Military > you. Now you shut up. Don't make me pull rank on you, korny. :D
You should try it over the interwebs and see what happens. I know that in Canada you can't pull rank as an NCO unless your in the same unit, or on a combined exercise....

I know nothing of the U.S. Military mumbo jumbo though.

Pooky
April 29th, 2007, 12:54 AM
*waits for Vista bashers*

Vista sux.

Poor blue angels D: