take a read:

http://blogs.ign.com/MGS_HiredGun/2007/04/24/53089/

flibitijibibo
April 24th, 2007, 08:40 PM
What, no screenshots? -_-

Still a decent article though.

Varmint260
April 24th, 2007, 08:48 PM
It's a very informative article, but like one person in there commented, I'm worried about the limitations put on people like me who do not (and likely never will) have a Gold account. I'm going to assume that a whole load of the nifty features will be available to Gold users only, but I'm hoping we don't end up with a huge selection of servers that are Gold-only or something like that. Anyways, still an informative article; nice find!

solofortne
April 24th, 2007, 11:04 PM
"If you have a LIVE Silver account, there will be some limitations on what servers you can and cannot join. This is bound to be a popular discussion topic, so we will happily go into the differences between the experiences Gold and Silver members are expected to have with our game in a later blog entry. " I really hope they're not stupid enough to limit what servers you can join if you don't pay for a live gold subscription. This isn't the xbox where people have no choice but to subscribe, it's the PC and people won't tolerate that. I've been a huge defender of this game up until I read this, I'm going to wait and see exactly what they mean but I'm thinking twice about buying it now. As it is they've limited the user base by requiring vista, if they're going to require a live gold subscription to access all the content they're just shooting themselves in the foot. I'm guessing they will have microsoft servers that only gold members can access. If I remember correctly, even Gearbox had their own free servers for halo pc and they were basically living off MS/Bungie's scraps.

p0lar_bear
April 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
If you have a LIVE Silver account, there will be some limitations on what servers you can and cannot join.Hold the fuckin' phone. They better not make it so LIVE Silvers are stuck with no custom gametypes, no cheat-protected servers, or something to that effect. I like Halo PC where I can just jump into a game running what I like with no bullshit.

We managed to take care of this problem through the auto map download feature, which allows you to download the custom map from the host/dedicated server. This way no one has to leave the room, go to a particular web site, download the map, and re-enter the game to show up too late to the party to even be considered fashionably late. It’s all taken care of in-game.I really, really, REALLY hope there's an option to turn that off. Otherwise, good-bye private beta testing sessions, and goodbye bandwidth.

I would think that there are options, but the way the blog is presented, I'm interpreting it as "oh hi here's how it is you can't change it, enjoy, also you won't enjoy the game without a LIVE Gold account so givemeyrfcukinmonyplzthxkbye."

Sorry for the negative views, but I'm really sick of finding strings attached to awesome features.

p0lar_bear
April 24th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm all for the autodownloader, I'm just hoping there's an option to turn it off in case I'm doing something like hosting a public listen server (I do that sometimes). Either my connection would lag like hell, or the person would be sitting and waiting for a loooooooong time for a 30 meg map cache file to download from my machine.

I'm saying, added functionality and options are good. Think of most, if not all scenarios.

FRain
April 25th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Why the FUCK are we paying to play MP? This is bullshit. Complete bullshit.

My damn credit card for XBL just got suspended because it's not "VALID/AUTHORIZED" Now I have to get ANOTHER ONE JUST FOR H2V?

WTF?

PsychoRaven
April 26th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Honestly I am not worried cause I am a live subscriber but it does worry me because it could very well cut down the amount of people to play with. However let's just wait and see the next blog before we pass judgment.

Knight
April 28th, 2007, 09:22 PM
This is something thats gonna ponder me, lets say I want to make a match, would I be able to even with a router on? Because nobody can join my games currently because of my damn router.

Agamemnon
April 28th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Why the FUCK are we paying to play MP? This is bullshit. Complete bullshit.

My damn credit card for XBL just got suspended because it's not "VALID/AUTHORIZED" Now I have to get ANOTHER ONE JUST FOR H2V?

WTF?
You don't. Calm the hell down. You can have a free Silver account that doesn't utilize Matchmaking. You can also use your current XBL account for the Gold membership.

Syuusuke
April 29th, 2007, 08:08 AM
If you have a LIVE Silver account, there will be some limitations on what servers you can and cannot join.

Hold the fuckin' phone. They better not make it so LIVE Silvers are stuck with no custom gametypes, no cheat-protected servers, or something to that effect. I like Halo PC where I can just jump into a game running what I like with no bullshit.

Let's bring this back into consideration.

Agamemnon
April 29th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Agreed. Apart from listed features, the only supposed thing that Silver members will miss out on is match making and I, for one, believe that's a plus, though Hired Gun doesn't go into great detail about other things as well.

Snowy
April 29th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I think by limiting silver to games only means we won't be able to play in servers that are running Matchmaking. Which means that we won't be able join a server that's running "3 Plots", "Land Grab", "Gold Rush", "Control Issues" and "Contention". Even though these will be easily re-created with custom game types.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multiplayer_gametypes_in_Halo_2#Matchmakin g_playlists

Zeph
April 29th, 2007, 10:46 AM
It will most likely be gold only servers to facilitate matchmaking. 99% of the people here will have no interest in that either way. Microsoft is offering a service for Live. They need servers to facilitate that service.

someone
April 30th, 2007, 12:45 PM
BTW, there's a new screenshot of the main menu:D:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/GfW-Live_3.jpg

Agamemnon
April 30th, 2007, 03:07 PM
"Guide?"

PsychoRaven
April 30th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Guide I am certain is your Xbox Live Guide area. You know your messaging, firends list and other such stuff area. They have a way to click with the mouse to get to that stuff for those who may not be using the controller.

Syuusuke
April 30th, 2007, 06:33 PM
"Network"?

someone
May 2nd, 2007, 02:12 AM
I think that Network stands for Lan, just like the systemlink on the xbox.