PDA

View Full Version : Beginning a large project soon, need volunteers.

Dwood
February 3rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Whelp, I have decided to follow through with one of my ideas for a project. It's going to be quite, quite large, spanning over what I plan to be about 4 maps. A number of you have seen my work, and what i have been working on.

For a reference of what I can do/have done, check:

http://www.xfire.com/profile/dazerl/videos/
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20284
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19679
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19663

Now, I need to find people who are willing to help me with the assets. (these can be anything from simple pieces of scenery to new bipeds and textures... including a custom ui.)

If all you can do is find me links to pre-made assets that would work just fine as well.

Before I tell you guys too much about the project I want to say that it will be under a very dark style with some custom bsp models made by me.

If you want to do bsps (I plan on about... 32 bsps total (possibly 40 bsps, if not, more in total) that's fine, but you'll probably wind up with me asking you to/how to fix my models.

I have a 2 hour long art class during the day for drawing and that's what I'm going to be using to concept the maps and bsps for prime SP gameplay. That, and I'm setting aside a TON of time for doing the models on the bsps.

If you wish to help me at all/want to know the story/idea behind this project, let me know.

EDIT: Because of the size of the project and the nature of the story/type of gameplay if you help me with the bsps, you will be at liberty to do almost anything you want, as long as you keep in mind the style and size of the whole project.

EDITx2: This will hopefully be an extremely rapid project, and will test your ability to create assets fast

sleepy1212
February 3rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
Let's have a look at some of these concepts first :D

il Duce Primo
February 3rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
I don't think you understand too much if you think you'll be doing 32-40 bsps.

Inferno
February 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
I'm betting this project will be abandoned in like 2 weeks.

Dwood
February 3rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
I don't think you understand too much if you think you'll be doing 32-40 bsps.

My idea is to have them all extra-super-ultra-low-res and when/if I get them all done, then make them higher quality unless someone volunteers to do that.

teh lag
February 3rd, 2010, 04:08 PM
32 bsps total

I hope you realize that's as many BSPs as POA, Halo, T&R, TSC and AOTCR combined. Modeling BSPs gets very boring very fast. Unless you're planning on Adventures through Box Corridor Central, I assure you that you're going to have to scale that back by a lot. Even getting a single custom SP map together with a passable level of polish is a massive undertaking.

Kornman00
February 3rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
I hope you realize he said they would be low quality

He's actually setting a bar to the content first. Then when it hits that bar, it can be touched up/upgraded. Mod teams can learn from iterative development...

Dwood
February 3rd, 2010, 04:12 PM
I hope you realize that's as many BSPs as POA, Halo, T&R, TSC and AOTCR combined.

E: I need assets such as scenery and unique weapons more than I do people telling me how infeasible it is.

Ex2: Thanks for backing me up Korn

Higuy
February 3rd, 2010, 05:39 PM
32 bsps over 4 maps? how fucking long is this thing? You realize the immense scale a bsp can be, right? A30 was only 2 bsps total.

By the way, if this is a SP (Which it is) you should plan on writing your story down, since you seem to have a understanding of what you want. This script should include the basics of what happen's during your levels, events and minor gameplay and how things work out. It should also include some "basic" understanding of the characters and backround information.

Also when sketching your levels, make sure to do it one encounter at a time. (I know this sounds.. boring/long, but it helps, alot)

Basically, sketch the entire bsp out then have a understanding of your events, kinda like a time line with different area's highlighted (or #'s) telling what happens. After you settle your self with that rough layout, then go into the encounters. Try not to spend to long making them perfect, but try to make them decently fun and interesting.

It's really a great workflow. Try it out.

Con
February 3rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
I promise you, if you don't get tired of modeling 32 bsps you'll get tired of UVing them all. Cut it back to the minimum you need. You may have to streamline your story.

Dwood
February 3rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
Just typed in a whole essay post and the site logged me out. I don't feel like retyping it soo basically:

Higuy: Yeah, I'm working on the story constantly. I've fleshed out part 1 enough I believe to begin concepting the levels even though as I work on the levels I get ideas for making it. Just because there will be a large # of bsps doesn't mean they'll all be huge.

Con: Yeah but I can't uv in the first place so I'll worry about that when it becomes a huge problem.

Edit: I have a rough bsp of the first part running lightmaps right now. It's really bad but I'm getting the hang of modeling in poly mode. It's mostly there just to see if I have the scale right. I was trying to make a bridge but that added like 3 hours of work so I just created some faces there and will revisit later.

Also, thanks to Sel(?) for making that cliffs tutorial. Saved me a lot of time.