PDA

View Full Version : New User- Amy

Amy
February 12th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Halomaps' registration was broken, so i found this site. >_>

Hello! I am Amy, i am a Mac/PC user that is very familiar with halo. I have been modding for 3 years (macgamingmods.com) I have been using CE as well for a long time. I don't know very much about CE, but it beats making maps out of Scenery! I kind of want someone to teach me the basics and just how to like use the tools... So don't give me a bunch of tutorials.

My aim is Amy108123 , just incase anyone wants to message me to help.

Any comment is appreciated!

So yeah, i kind of need a mentor to guide me through CE.

Kay, thanks!

SnaFuBAR
February 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM
you'd be very lucky to find someone who will hold your hand through this. we're not exactly known for that. you do, however, need to familiarize yourself with the tutorials that come with the HEK, that way you are somewhat understanding of the answers to questions you'll have. feel free to check out the tutorials section in the studio, and in ce releases.

Also, I would encourage you to create a help topic of your own, so that you can refrain from littering the board with multiple help topics.

Amy
February 12th, 2010, 08:54 PM
This is kind of my help topic.

I have read and watched many tutorials, so i am not a total newcomer.

S3anyBoy
February 12th, 2010, 08:56 PM
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?p=474478
This thread is always a big help too.

Amy
February 12th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the link! i will be checking that out now!

Higuy
February 12th, 2010, 09:17 PM
It really would help if you would tell us what you need help on, and then we could point you into the direction of those particular things.

Mainly the first thing you should do is download HEK (assuming you did already)
Next thing is to watch a basic tutorial on modeling/texturing/getting things ingame/populating/building map.

Other then that, you should be a bit more specific.

Also, this should help alot.
http://hce.halomaps.org/hek/
That is your best tool of information around when building a map to be honest. (other then actually talking to people who know alot of the stuff)

sevlag
February 12th, 2010, 09:29 PM
It really would help if you would tell us what you need help on, and then we could point you into the direction of those particular things.

Mainly the first thing you should do is download HEK (assuming you did already)
Next thing is to watch a basic tutorial on modeling/texturing/getting things ingame/populating/building map.

Other then that, you should be a bit more specific.

Also, this should help alot.
http://hce.halomaps.org/hek/
That is your best tool of information around when building a map to be honest. (other then actually talking to people who know alot of the stuff)
like you? (in all seriousness)

Higuy
February 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
like you? (in all seriousness)
What?

Amy
February 12th, 2010, 09:35 PM
OMG HIGUY /fan spazz

Yeah, i have HEK. I have a slight problem, that when i open Tool it flashes for a second then quits....

Also, can i use Sketchup to make models?

sevlag
February 12th, 2010, 09:35 PM
(other then actually talking to people who know alot of the stuff)well then by this statement asking you about map making would be beneficial as well, so i used you an an example of someone to ask when it comes to mapping

S3anyBoy
February 12th, 2010, 09:37 PM
You don't open tool, you need to copy command prompt into the folder and open that instead.

sevlag
February 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM
OMG HIGUY /fan spazz

Yeah, i have HEK. I have a slight problem, that when i open Tool it flashes for a second then quits....

make sure if you have multiple CPUs that spaien is only running off one, it cannot run off multiple (can a hobo run on multiples?)
and check the debug.txt file thats generated after you open sapien or guerilla (regardless if its succesful or not it'll still generate after your first opening or attempt)

Inferno
February 12th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Sevlag is partially wrong.

Dual core intel processors don't have a problem with sapien. It's generally just AMD.

sevlag
February 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Sevlag is partially wrong.

Dual core intel processors don't have a problem with sapien. It's generally just AMD.
really? so its only AMD, well i got PART of it right, but does /a hobo run on dual or not? just alittle curious about this

Inferno
February 12th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Doubt it. It's the same program with very minor fixes.

sevlag
February 12th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Doubt it. It's the same program with very minor fixes.
one question answered, thank you inferno +rep

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I haven't heard of any one using sketchup but then again its kinda new. I don't think you can but you can use gmax, its freeware. http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

Inferno
February 12th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Get 3ds Max or Gmax.

Personally I love 3ds.

Higuy
February 12th, 2010, 10:02 PM
OMG HIGUY /fan spazz

Also, can i use Sketchup to make models?
lol, didn't know I had a fan xP

Also, what the users said above should help you. Just copy CMD into your Halo CE directory and use that. You can also use Tool++ if your not so sure about typing everying. (personally I like to just use CMD)

Also from what I've heard, sketchup is a horrible modeling program for CE becuase it leaves hundreds of open edges. So I really don't recommend using it. Try using Gmax to start off with to get a feel with modeling. I use 3ds Max 8 for Halo, and sometimes 3dsmax 9 for other things. (3ds Max 8 is the best for Halo map making in my opinion, the exporter is alot quicker then any of the other external scripts to export..)

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I can't afford 3ds max nothing, I think most people use sketchup for general modeling because it free and advertised. gmax is free and thats the only reason I use it.

Chainsy
February 12th, 2010, 10:12 PM

Also, what the users said above should help you. Just copy CMD into your Halo CE directory and use that. You can also use Tool++ if your not so sure about typing everying. (personally I like to just use CMD)

Also from what I've heard, sketchup is a horrible modeling program for CE becuase it leaves hundreds of open edges. So I really don't recommend using it. Try using Gmax to start off with to get a feel with modeling. I use 3ds Max 8 for Halo, and sometimes 3dsmax 9 for other things. (3ds Max 8 is the best for Halo map making in my opinion, the exporter is alot quicker then any of the other external scripts to export..)

Why the fuck dont I get a fan? :smith:

OMG HIGUY YOU'RE THE NEW JONAS BROTHER OF THE CE COMMUNITY!!!

sevlag
February 12th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I can't afford 3ds max nothing, I think most people use sketchup for general modeling because it free and advertised. gmax is free and thats the only reason I use it.
who said you had to BUY it

and no pro-piracy v anti-piracy discussions people we all know those lead to trouble :|

Why the fuck dont I get a fan? :smith:

OMG HIGUY YOU'RE THE NEW JONAS BROTHER OF THE CE COMMUNITY!!!so higuy is like that group of no talent fags?

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 10:16 PM
what do you mean that free trial crap?

Higuy
February 12th, 2010, 10:17 PM
so higuy is like that group of no talent fags?
wat x2

Chainsy
February 12th, 2010, 10:19 PM
who said you had to BUY it

and no pro-piracy v anti-piracy discussions people we all know those lead to trouble :|

so higuy is like that group of no talent fags?
What the fuck are you smoking, the jonas brothers are awesome!! :ugh:

S3anyBoy
February 12th, 2010, 10:20 PM
<3 higuy :3

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 10:20 PM
the jonas brothers are only popular becuase disney and the rest of the media said they where, beware of the mass media influence.

English Mobster
February 12th, 2010, 10:21 PM

I would recommend Max 8 as well. I've used it since I began modeling, and I've never looked back. 1000x better than Gmax.
And also, Higuy, welcome to my world. I didn't know I had fans until just recently when I got swarmed by them.

Chainsy
February 12th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I would recommend Max 8 as well. I've used it since I began modeling, and I've never looked back. 1000x better than Gmax.
And also, Higuy, welcome to my world. I didn't know I had fans until just recently when I got swarmed by them.
The police questioning you on the faking of your sister's death doesn't count jay. :allears:

/offtopic

Gmax is just as good as max and I have seen users who can produce better work in that then people who use the trials.

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 10:24 PM
now that were off the jonas discussion how can I get 3ds max without buying it, or free trial. I hate free trials. once again stay away from the pirates.

Chainsy
February 12th, 2010, 10:26 PM
You have to be a student, or quit bitching and get gmax

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 10:32 PM
ohh well I'm taking a cadd class maybe that can help, and I allready have gmax.

sevlag
February 12th, 2010, 10:35 PM
What the fuck are you smoking, the jonas brothers are awesome!! :ugh:
STOP! Do not trole

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 10:36 PM
is amy even still on here?

Chainsy
February 12th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Idk if CAD classes would qualify for that, ask someone else or google it.

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 10:51 PM
my CADD class goes through alot of 3d software like rhino and solid works. I like rhino alot so far. I don't think we're go to get to do 3ds max though. but I think it might. its not just autocad

Corndogman
February 12th, 2010, 11:16 PM
OMG HIGUY YOU'RE THE NEW JONAS BROTHER OF THE CE COMMUNITY!!!

What the fuck I was literally just about to say that. Dammit Chains! I need to get to these threads earlier, I keep missing opportunities.

jcap
February 12th, 2010, 11:26 PM
You'll probably want to use the OpenSauce SDK over any older tools out there. "A_Hobo" and "Kornman00" (all versions) are from many, many years ago. The recently released OpenSauce tools offer the same unlocked capabilities and more. Even if you aren't writing any code yourself, you can still use the OpenSauce tools as a normal unlocked HEK.

For the most part, though, the stock tools should be fine if you are just learning or making simple multiplayer maps.

Horns
February 12th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I haven't heard of any one using sketchup but then again its kinda new. I don't think you can but you can use gmax, its freeware. http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

If you have sketchup pro you can export in the filetype for 3ds and open it in there to export. BC_Raceway was made in sketchup.

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 11:57 PM
oh really! didn't think they came out with a way to use it yet. is there a way to use blender?

Boba
February 13th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Halomaps' registration was broken, so i found this site. >_>

Hello! I am Amy, i am a Mac/PC user that is very familiar with halo. I have been modding for 3 years (macgamingmods.com) I have been using CE as well for a long time. I don't know very much about CE, but it beats making maps out of Scenery! I kind of want someone to teach me the basics and just how to like use the tools... So don't give me a bunch of tutorials.

My aim is Amy108123 , just incase anyone wants to message me to help.

Any comment is appreciated!

So yeah, i kind of need a mentor to guide me through CE.

Kay, thanks!

Coleman?

sevlag
February 13th, 2010, 06:25 AM
oh really! didn't think they came out with a way to use it yet. is there a way to use blender?blender is better for making like ragdolls for garrysmod, i don't know if it'll work on halo stuff

Amy
February 13th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys!

Anyways, i got this GREAT tutorial Yayap's beginners map creation. I was following it through until i got to the part with displacing. It said that the flat plane should look like your map you made in paint, but mine doesn't even change >_>

Higuy
February 13th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys!

Anyways, i got this GREAT tutorial Yayap's beginners map creation. I was following it through until i got to the part with displacing. It said that the flat plane should look like your map you made in paint, but mine doesn't even change >_>

Well that tutorial sucks.
NEVER EVER EVER use a displacment map. EVER.

This tutorial is good:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2299
The only hard part of it should really be making the bases, but if you pay attention, it should be too hard :downs:

sleepy1212
February 13th, 2010, 09:46 AM
my CADD class goes through alot of 3d software like rhino and solid works. I like rhino alot so far. I don't think we're go to get to do 3ds max though. but I think it might. its not just autocad

I'm not positive about cad files but 3ds max will open 3d files from Microstation (drafting program i use at work)

kid908
February 13th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I'm not positive about cad files but 3ds max will open 3d files from Microstation (drafting program i use at work)

Depending on the cad, 3ds max will open. I'm pretty sure AutoCAD and 3dsm are compatible atleast in atleast 1 import/export format.

Gmax honestly works just as well as max for beginners in halo ce, but once you get a bit more advance, the tools max have are just so convenient that you wouldn't want to go back afterwards.

3dsm and others free: http://students.autodesk.com/ (your school has to be part of the program for you to access this)

Maya Personal Edition: http://download.cnet.com/Autodesk-Maya-Personal-Learning-Edition/3000-6677_4-10721815.html (when you render image, I believe there's a watermark on it that you can only remove with the full version)

If you're going with free, I prefer Gmax over all others. sketchup free just doesn't cut it with it's limits on exports and blender for 1 hogs so much cpu and ram and the ui is horrible. It might be good, but it's not for me.

E: does newly purchase 3dsm licenses work on unlocking older versions such as max 8? For instance, I buy 3dsm 2011 (when it comes out and all) and want to use that license with max 8, would it work?

Hunter
February 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Don't use anything but Gmax/3ds max 8. Seriously, you will just make more work... Gmax is your best bet and has everything you need, although 3ds max is better. You don't have to pay for 3ds max... that is all I am saying, and I am not going to go into details, and I am not referencing any ways of getting it.

And usually CAD classes involve programs like AutoCAD or SolidWorks which all work around making real life objects. 3ds max and gmax are not like this, and you shouldn't really be looking for CAD tutorials. gmax and 3ds max are game modelling applications, which is completely different from SolidWorks which used millions of triangles and uses measurements ect..

Inferno
February 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Don't use anything but Gmax/3ds max 8. Seriously, you will just make more work... Gmax is your best bet and has everything you need, although 3ds max is better. You don't have to pay for 3ds max... that is all I am saying, and I am not going to go into details, and I am not referencing any ways of getting it.

And usually CAD classes involve programs like AutoCAD or SolidWorks which all work around making real life objects. 3ds max and gmax are not like this, and you shouldn't really be looking for CAD tutorials. gmax and 3ds max are game modelling applications, which is completely different from SolidWorks which used millions of triangles and uses measurements ect..

Pretty much this.

SnaFuBAR
February 13th, 2010, 01:49 PM
just a warning here guys, don't discuss piracy in any manner. depending on the moderator, what a lot of you have already said could be a 5 point infraction, so knock it off.

laghing_rabt
February 13th, 2010, 05:18 PM
all round consense on gmax as a good freeware program, and mapping is easy, its the bases and caves that get a little difficult, especially creating faces, I hate creating faces. though said earlier, rhino is good make very good looking objects more photo friendly, but solid works I know is very technical an percise and is made for more 3-D technical drawings. actully in my experience Rhino has similar end results to 3ds max and gmax dispite a much diffrent style of use.

Disaster
February 13th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Well that tutorial sucks.
NEVER EVER EVER use a displacment map. EVER.

As long as you know how to use a displacement map you are fine. Don't just paint black and white on a canvas and call it a displacement map. Thats not good enough.

http://mcmlinks.ocscottie.com/Tutorials/textures/texmap3.jpg

Thats a good example of one.
However, if your going to use displacment maps, your going to still have to model. When using a displacement map, you can not have overlapping or inverted slopes. So, use the displacement map as a starting point.

Hunter
February 14th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Depends what the map geometry is mainly made up of. If its mainly indoor then you may as well model the ground and organic objects without a displacement map.

But if there is more organic geometry, like ground and hills then you could use a displacement map to get the BASIC shape.

Alwin Roth
February 14th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Did I miss something here?

New person, asked for help, then banned, seem like an Ok person, what happened?

Higuy
February 14th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Did I miss something here?

New person, asked for help, then banned, seem like an Ok person, what happened?
Apparently it was a alt account but no ip matched up with another account. :|

kid908
February 14th, 2010, 11:52 AM
all round consense on gmax as a good freeware program, and mapping is easy, its the bases and caves that get a little difficult, especially creating faces, I hate creating faces. though said earlier, rhino is good make very good looking objects more photo friendly, but solid works I know is very technical an percise and is made for more 3-D technical drawings. actully in my experience Rhino has similar end results to 3ds max and gmax dispite a much diffrent style of use.

If you know what you're doing, ALL end results would LOOK the same, but may not be the same. I honestly HATE Rhino; It's annoying to me. If you work on advance techniques, not just gaming, you will have very photo friendly results. This is a famous render that's been spread around.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Render_sala.jpg
Actually, Rhino can be use for precise "technical drawing." In fact, Rhino uses nurbs, which is mathematical averaging of control points (vertices) to create a curved surface. All hard surface models can be nurbs, but the results may look bad if not done correctly.
Rhino 3d:
http://www.3dm3.com/forum/attachments/f48/6871d1153701912-lamborghini-countach-concept-2-testdrive.jpg

Laughing_rabbit, here's a max vs rhino vid on doing the same thing.
http://designreform.net/2009/05/3ds-max-and-rhino-3d-side-by-side/

CodeBrain
February 14th, 2010, 01:34 PM
you should post in amys thread
be like
"banning masters while he's posing as a girl on valentines day? Well that's just rude"There is your explanation.

Inferno
February 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Lol masterz is so cool. He asks to be banned and then makes alt's to make himself feel better.

Also he is apparently gender confused now.

sevlag
February 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM
There is your explanation.
masterz isnt very mature :| im sorry but he isnt

teh lag
February 14th, 2010, 01:40 PM
That's enough out of this thread then.

SnaFuBAR
February 14th, 2010, 02:24 PM
mental.