PDA

View Full Version : laghing_rabit's help thread

laghing_rabt
February 8th, 2010, 09:24 PM
when trying to build a structure on tool I got about 100 messages saying "error on edge #[insert # here] is open (red). I'm assuming thats an error from having faces or polygons overlapping, but I just pulled up the ground and never messed with the creating faces, and so forth, would this have any thing to do with using poly mesh instead of editble mesh? becuse I think this is the first map I used poly mesh with.

Maniac
February 8th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Using editible poly and mesh only matters if you use anything other than blitzkreig.
If you use anything else, then convert to mesh before exporting.
You dont have a "sealed world" mesh.
There are either obvious open edges or unobvious ones (where 2 verts are in almost or exactly the same place, but not connected as 1 vert).
To fix the unobvious ones, you should:
-select all verts in map/model
-weld at a very low threshold (start at 0.01)
-re-export and check to see if you fixed any of the errors
-repeat if needed at a higher threshold (depending on how small you made the model and how small some of the faces are) i wouldnt go higher than 0.1.
But thats just an averaged number, you may have to play with it a little.
A good way to do this would be to:
-find the smallest, most intricate part of the model and look close there while you move the threshold value, go as high as it takes to weld the part you are looking at, then decrease the threshold just a little. (because you dont want to weld across faces, just the hidden open edges)

laghing_rabt
February 9th, 2010, 10:38 AM
oh well I have gmax and use a jms converter I currently don't know the name of, but its not blitzkrieg.

teh lag
February 9th, 2010, 10:39 AM
When in doubt, always use editable mesh.

Have you imported the WRL that tool spits out?

laghing_rabt
February 9th, 2010, 10:44 AM
my models won't export, using tool++ I export my model and it says that can't read tool thing it always says, and then says process complete and nothing more. I'm not a scripter, I took a cadd class not a computer programing class, so I don't have any Idea why its being so fickle with me.

CodeBrain
February 9th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Why are you even using Tool++?

I thought we established that it was horrible because it wouldn't let you select shaders, and some other shit as well?

In any case, use tool or os_toolbeta. There would be no reason to use Tool++ because it is buggy. Even it's creator doesn't like it.

laghing_rabt
February 10th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Gmax wouldn't let me import it

New problem. I get a very similar response from tool when I tried to add water, the plane was labeled water!$ and so was the bitmap I used.

laghing_rabt
February 10th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I tried using normal tool and it did the same thing

laghing_rabt
February 10th, 2010, 07:39 PM
all my cov bipeds won't load up onto sapien, when I try to load them, I get an error message.

Debugtxt
02.10.10 08:33:39 reference function: _write_to_error_file
02.10.10 08:33:39 reference address: 42ca20
02.10.10 08:33:39 Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
02.10.10 08:33:39 file_open('tags\<zteam>.effect') error 0x0000007b 'The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. '
02.10.10 08:33:39 couldn't open effect tag '<zteam>.effect'.
02.10.10 08:33:39 file_open('tags\<zteam>.effect') error 0x0000007b 'The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. '
02.10.10 08:33:39 failed to load material_effects tag 'globals\elite'
02.10.10 08:33:39 failed to load biped tag 'characters\elite\elite special'
02.10.10 08:33:39 WARNING: effect h2\vehicles\creep\plasma_turret\effects\c_turret_a p_fire references particle effects\particles\energy\smoke white c generic with an alpha tint of zero, but that particle has nonlinear tinting and will never draw. (You should fix this, shikai.)
02.10.10 08:33:39 failed to load scenario tag 'levels\test\sidewinder\sidewinderV2'
02.10.10 08:33:39 failed to load material_effects tag 'globals\elite'
02.10.10 08:33:39 failed to load biped tag 'characters\elite\elite special'
02.10.10 08:33:39 failed to load scenario tag 'levels\test\sidewinder\sidewinderV2'
02.10.10 08:33:39 need to get the following tags:
02.10.10 08:33:39 <zteam>.effect
02.10.10 08:33:39
whats wrong with all my tags and I could't find anything wrong with them in gurrila.

ShadowSpartan
February 10th, 2010, 07:51 PM
You are trying to rip/use tags from a protected map. Maps are protected for a reason, you should respect that the map creator does not want the tags used without their permission. This kind of behavior is frowned upon on this forum, so please do not post stuff like this again.

chrisk123999
February 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
How did you rip the tag if it still has <zteam> as the tag name? You need to fix the tag reference.

Dwood
February 10th, 2010, 08:15 PM
you didnt ask for permission from Zteam.

laghing_rabt
February 10th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I deleted all of the bipeds tags off of my computer and then reloaded HEK so I have the original set, and it still didn't work. then I downloaded the originals from Halomaps.org and they still want to use these zteam tags that I can't find, and don't even know how I got them.

and wil some one please tell my how to get them off of my computer. I aint no programer I'm just a highschool student.

nevermind I gound the bad tag. alot of help you guys have been.

Dwood
February 11th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Id rather teach someone how to learn to do things on their own than tell them how to do it. At that level anyways. Getting, and adding tags is one of the easiest parts of making things for Halo CE so if you're getting stuck at a spot like that then you really need to rethink your mod.

Dwood
February 11th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I have no idea what you're saying. Take a screenshot. Oh and stop whining please.

sevlag
February 11th, 2010, 06:35 AM
STOP! Do not rip

seriously if you need a MP elite that behaves like the SPARTAN i have a non mapping team one, so yeah

laghing_rabt
February 11th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I didn't rip them, I have no Idea where the zteam effect came from. I guess another set of biped tags I downloaded off halomaps had them. and I have been looking for an elite tag that has animations similar to a cyborg, not nessicarly the behavor.

laghing_rabt
February 11th, 2010, 01:57 PM
just cause you read it like I was whining doesn't mean I was whining. and it came up with something diffrent this time. and how do I put an image from my computer. I'm defenatly not a scripter so stop whining about me being a noob on the net

ShadowSpartan
February 11th, 2010, 02:21 PM
just cause you read it like I was whining doesn't mean I was whining.
That's how it came across, he is not the only one coming to that conclusion based on your posting behavior.

and it came up with something diffrent this time. and how do I put an image from my computer.
Google is your friend. If you don't even know how to take a screenshot, how are you ever going to do something with the HEK?

I'm defenatly not a scripter so stop whining about me being a noob on the net
Why do u keep referring to scripters? Scripters ARE NOT the same thing as programmers. That still doesn't change the fact that you do not need to be a programmer to use the HEK or export models.

One last thing, please try to improve your posts (punctuation, spelling,etc).

laghing_rabt
February 11th, 2010, 02:43 PM
one I can't spell. two I can take a screen shot I just don't know how to load it up onto the forum. and three, I can only model, not do anything like tool or any thing like that, becuase I don't know how a the halo PROGRAM works so when something goes wrong I don't know why, I can barley understand the debug txt. also you come off like a jerk. (with holding some more colorfull language). I'm a noob I admit it so stop pounding that into me and help me out so I won't be an annoying noob.

ShadowSpartan
February 11th, 2010, 04:18 PM
one I can't spell
That's no excuse. You can use a web browser, like Firefox, that automatically spell checks what you are typing.

two I can take a screen shot I just don't know how to load it up onto the forum
As I said before, Google is your friend (http://www.google.com/search?q=upload+picture+to+internet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a). (Hint: Click the link, first result)

and three, I can only model, not do anything like tool or any thing like that, becuase I don't know how a the halo PROGRAM works so when something goes wrong I don't know why, I can barley understand the debug txt.
As I said before, it does not take a programmer to learn how the HEK works so stop acting like it does. You have to post the exact error messages contained in debug.txt as well as clearly explain what you were trying to do. You are extremely vague and no one can help you. You see to be just jumping into using the HEK with no prior knowledge whatsoever. Have you even read the HEK tutorial contained in the Halo Custom Edition installation folder, because it doesn't seem like you have done anything at all.

also you come off like a jerk.(with holding some more colorfull language). I'm a noob I admit it so stop pounding that into me and help me out so I won't be an annoying noob
You come onto the forum asking vague questions ('<zteam> tags', 'model exporting'), clearly not knowing what you are doing, and cannot even do one of the simplest of Internet tasks (upload an image). You are coming off as either a troll, or a person who truly is clueless and should try to learn the basics before trying to jump in head first.

CodeBrain
February 11th, 2010, 06:27 PM
What Spartan is saying is true, and although it may sound like he is a jerk, he really is a very nice guy XD

In any case, you should try reading the HEK tutorial before doing anything, heck maybe an internet tutorial (Wonder if it exists...)

sevlag
February 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
well just replace those animations with something else using an animation editor...

kid908
February 11th, 2010, 08:18 PM
one I can't spell.
Spelling isn't the only thing...

two I can take a screen shot I just don't know how to load it up onto the forum.
Dude, a 3 year old knows how to post a link and I have friends that are pretty much tech impaired and they still know how to upload an image.

three, I can only model, not do anything like tool or any thing like that, becuase I don't know how a the halo PROGRAM works so when something goes wrong I don't know why, I can barley understand the debug txt. also you come off like a jerk. (with holding some more colorfull language). I'm a noob I admit it so stop pounding that into me and help me out so I won't be an annoying noob.
Try looking at tutorial before you make yourself look more like an ass. HEK comes with a folder full of instructions, help, clues, and EVEN a FULL LEVEL CREATION TUTORIAL! Halo requires no programing or scripting knowledge for beginners. Hell, it doesn't really need any modeling experience to get started, the tutorial it comes with will cover the basics. Noob or Pro, we're not going to stop pounding this into you, like my teacher pounds physic formulas into his students' heads, until you remember it.

=D This community is really nice to new members. Maybe it's because of all the spammers and noobs in the past that steered this community towards this treatment of new comers.

E: why doesn't ninja work anymore? :(

EE: It looks like you got your directory wrong. Try typing in a correct directory for the jms file.

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I got the sparrow howk from CMTs tag release and it flies kinda wierd, like a helacopter. it sorta makes sense if it didn't have wings. I can't figure out how to change how it flies, from the vehicle tag. do I change it in the physics tag or is it in the gbx model, I would much rather it fly like a banshee or atleast a pelican, instead you have to look down to move fast, and not touch any thing to move. can some one tell me how to change its flight behavoirs?

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I've read all the way through the official HEK tutorial, and whent through several tutorials specific for Gmax, many where for scenery which I was trying to make, so I'm not just jumpping in. when using tool to make the gbx model from the gmax model exported into JMS format I get message on tool that is not what I was looking for, it says I got the wrong directory but I typed it 5 diffrent times and checked my spelling, as I was saying I don't know why it still says I have the wrong directory, I'm no computer expert. I really hate command prompt. also I've uploaded images on forums before but this ones different.

I'm not normaly an ass but I'm really getting frustraited, and this is the only place that I can get good answers. btw, I do check my spelling all the time but I make somany mistakes that it doesn't help to much.

sleepy1212
February 12th, 2010, 07:24 AM
copy the debug text and paste it in your next post

Rob Oplawar
February 12th, 2010, 10:37 AM
The physics tag mostly affects the way the vehicle collides with objects, but to an extent it affects its flight behavior (weight, anti-gravity, etc). I messed with this for a while, but I didn't get very far, I just got it flyable (actually, I got it to fly pretty much exactly like a banshee, since I copied the banshee physics and vehicle tags). It looks like after I gave it back to CMT they tweaked it further.
You'll want to change both the physics tag and the vehicle tag to get it to work the way you want to. (Don't ask me for my tags because I cba to dig up the right versions).

The physics are very finicky. Half the time you'll get something like this for no apparent reason, and you'll just have to keep messing with it:
NzQIra5fW-Y

kid908
February 12th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Tool does not allow spaces. Here's a few examples:

Your directory is for example:
directory A:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\Data\Scenery\Test Scenery\Models\testscenery.jmsThis is what you would type into tool for directory A:

tool model scenery\test sceneryWhich is correct in tool, but you're directory is wrong. it should look like this:
directory B:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\Data\Scenery\Test_Scenery\Models\testscene ry.jmsFrom Data folder onward, don't use spaces, tool won't read them.
This is what you should type into tool:

tool model scenery\test_scenery
Set up your folders in your data like this:

[type of item in halo, ie. scenery, weapons, vehicles]\[name of your item]In that folder have the following folders:

*Models
*Physics
*Bitmaps
*Animations
*FP(if it's a weapon and inside FP, have a Models folder and an Animations folder)You don't have to stick to this format, but it's nice to have to organize your items.

Dwood
February 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM
He could type the directory inside quotes.

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 06:54 PM
lol! thats funny. what about the camra, can I get it closer, and tighter to the vehicle?

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I typed in tool models scenery\(scenery folder name) (scenery name) and my folders are set up like that

data
scenery
(scenery name)
models
physics
bitmaps
animations

sevlag
February 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM
oh look BCE, hows that coming BTW? x3

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I allready understand the basics of modeling in gmax but I wan't to get much better, I still have issues attaching caves and stuff to the models of maps, and making models as good looking as some of cmts stuff. some info on adding textures and making them too would be nice. I've found a few tuts on 3ds max but 3dsmax can do alot more than gmax. I've also found a few relly bad tutorials on gmax that either teach the bare basics or go through a thing on how to make a train or something, but don't go into depth about how gmax works. also It needs to be downloadable. the computer I've got internet on can't run gmax.

laghing_rabt
February 12th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Ok I got the sparrow hawk flying like I want it but Is there anyway to change the camra, it way to high and drives me nuts.

Rob Oplawar
February 12th, 2010, 11:22 PM
No idea how to fix the camera. Bug either rooster or scooby about it; I bet one of them knows.

Hunter
February 13th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I think the camera is set by a node in the model information isn't it? But I think you still might be able to adjust it in the tags. I dunno for sure.

Rob Oplawar
February 13th, 2010, 11:23 AM
iirc there's a camera tag that specifies all sorts of behaviors for the camera. I've tried messing with it once before, and I couldn't seem to get it to do anything I wanted, so I haven't touched it since.

Hunter
February 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Modelling is more or less the same with most programs. Especially gmax and 3ds max. You start with a plane/box and build of it, that all there is too it.

It is like clay, where you can pull arms or legs out of a clay ball, but in this case it is a box/plane.

The barrett tutorial is probably your best bet for getting used to modelling:
http://www.moddb.com/tutorials/23868/beretta-9000-video-tutorial

English Mobster
February 13th, 2010, 01:51 PM
You can't shift/drag edges in Gmax, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so that tutorial won't help.

SnaFuBAR
February 13th, 2010, 03:24 PM
It really doesn't matter, so long as you understand you need to extrude and are competent enough to do it. There are also official gmax tutorials. You just have to find them

Dwood
February 13th, 2010, 03:26 PM
You can shift/drag in gmax. if not it should be easy enough to set the shortcut, especially for editable poly.

laghing_rabt
February 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I tried and I can't shit drag. and downloadable tuts are very much appriciated.

laghing_rabt
February 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM
gahhh I got an error on edge thing in tool for my water! I thought that the game would ingore overlapping edges for water if it was put as "water!" can I get a run through on adding water so I can figure this out?

laghing_rabt
February 13th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Well I'd like to stay away from going into the model if I can, I don't want to mess up a texture or something.

chrisk123999
February 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Make a plane that covers the whole map and put the material as water!$

laghing_rabt
February 13th, 2010, 06:23 PM
thats exactly what I did

S3anyBoy
February 13th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Well I'd like to stay away from going into the model if I can, I don't want to mess up a texture or something.
Just open up the gbxmodel tag, if you don't mess with the shaders nothing will happen. Just go to the markers and find camera, under instances just mess around with the translation and rotation of the first instance.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8228/sphwkcam.jpg (http://img222.imageshack.us/i/sphwkcam.jpg/)
That's what it looks like with translation set to 0,0,0 and the default rotation, if you play around with it you should be able to get it how you want.

Also, would you mind posting the vehicle/physics tag or whatever you modified to change the flight style since it seem like by default the thing seems damn near unflyable, and I (and probably a few other people) don't know much about vehicle physics.

chrisk123999
February 13th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I tried and I can't shit drag. and downloadable tuts are very much appriciated.

Does your arrows have the move things? Try pressing X once then shift + drag.

Disaster
February 13th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to set your hotkeys.

teh lag
February 13th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Sparrowhawk is a disaster of a vehicle. None of us could get it working in a half-decent manner. I'll stick its source files in the next CMT tag release so you all can have more to work with, but there's a reason you never saw much of it.

laghing_rabt
February 13th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I just changed the first part of the physics tag almost just like the banshee; it still kinda wants to fly like the pelican though, better than a retarded helecopter. I'd like to send an image, but I don't know how to get an image off my computer without first posting it in some wierd location onto the web. I got the hawk working ok, like I said, I just want ot fix the camera angle.

I just opened up the gbx model tag and it won't let me mess with the instances in gurilla

laghing_rabt
February 13th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I'm trying to make buildings and structures with several storys, like a three story base, and haven't the slightest Idea on how to build it perferbly with ramps. any tips on building buildings?

sleepy1212
February 13th, 2010, 10:02 PM
you can name the material anything you want as long as you add ! to the end, add $ if there is fog under it. name the plane geometry water!$ (or just water! for no fog). link to frame.

laghing_rabt
February 13th, 2010, 10:05 PM
thats what I did. tried it 3 times. maybe forths the charm, 3 never helped me anyway.

sleepy1212
February 14th, 2010, 08:54 AM
make sure your water plane is 1 poly (2 tris) and that all four vertices are outside the bsp. it should perfectly planer also.

sleepy1212
February 14th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Just try stuff out, there are lots of ways to do this but at some point you're going to have to experiment on your own to figure things like this out. Search for tutorials when you hit a dead end. when it's too messed up, delete it and start over. Try making the building in it's own file before adding it to your bsp that way you don't mess up what you've already modeled.

Suggestion: start your own help thread instead of all these single question threads.

kid908
February 14th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I'll start up gmax and make a quick tutorial. It'll be good for me to go back in gmax and see how I'll hold up. I'll introduce several stuff.

sevlag
February 14th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I'm trying to make buildings and structures with several storys, like a three story base, and haven't the slightest Idea on how to build it perferbly with ramps. any tips on building buildings?
best advice i can do is start with a box that has a ramp built into it, get that to work, then build the same box with a second floor, rinse and repeat...good luck

SnaFuBAR
February 14th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I'm going to merge all of your topics. You're beginning to clutter the board with multiple help topics. Once they're merged, stick to the one topic.

SnaFuBAR
February 14th, 2010, 12:34 PM
This is now your help topic. You don't need 7 different threads. Hope this also helps you keep all the info you're interested in easily accessible in one place.

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I never bothered to rip a protected map, I could take anything off of them even if I wanted to, I have absolutly no hacking ability whatsoever, I still haven't figured out where they came from. and besides, why would I want to use tags that only screw up my stuff? so would people for god sakes stop t hitting my rep.

and current issues:

sparrow hawk camera ange: gurrilla won't let me fiddle with the camera instances.

tool errors: tool is working against me. I tried to build a scenerio and got this

02.14.10 02:53:27 tool pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
02.14.10 02:53:27 reference function: _write_to_error_file
02.14.10 02:53:27 reference address: 42ca20
02.14.10 02:53:27 Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
02.14.10 02:53:27 file_open('data\levels\lakeside\models\.jms') error 0x00000002 'The system cannot find the file specified. '

modeling: I would like some tips on building buildings with crap like tables seprate rooms, inside, and with multiple levels.

sevlag
February 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I never bothered to rip a protected map, I could take anything off of them even if I wanted to, I have absolutly no hacking ability whatsoever, I still haven't figured out where they came from. and besides, why would I want to use tags that only screw up my stuff?
it only will screw it up if you have it set to "overwrite existing tags" just dont have that checked off

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I don't and I didn't rip any zteam stuff!!!!, stop saying I did!

Hunter
February 14th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Tool is saying otherwise.

Where did you get the tags?

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I have no flipping clue!, maybe I riped an unprotected map of somebody who hacked a zteam map. I don't know where they came from. and can we move on to the problems I'm having? instead of sticking to how I ended up with zteam tags that screwed me over.

Hunter
February 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hmm.. Your actually making me laugh at how insecure you are about this and the weird excuse. Lmao.

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I DIDN'T RIP ANYTHING FROM ZTEAM!, no can we move on to fixing other probelms, I have shit to get done! and I would very much appreciate it if we could just move on!

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I bet the energy sword lunge would work much better as the choppers boost, since you don't need to aim it, you just go.

Inferno
February 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I like the color green.

Wait. Why is this a thread?

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I was expecting others thought and opinoins on this topic of making a choppers boost. wether or not it could work or not, I never looked at the lunge effect or had any experence with the boosts of vehicles. so I only sorta know whats going on.

kid908
February 14th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Or someone could use the EXISTING banshee boost as a chopper boost? Seriously, why does this thread exists? Why don't you work with the basics first and look at other stuff later?

staticchanger
February 14th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Try it and tell us what happens.

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM
yeah, but the choppers does damage to the thing it hit when it boosts into something, the banshee doesn't do that.

flibitijibibo
February 14th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Keep ideas in your help thread. Make threads for ideas that are actually created.

kid908
February 14th, 2010, 03:53 PM
yeah, but the choppers does damage to the thing it hit when it boosts into something, the banshee doesn't do that.
4 words: Vehicle Collision Damage Tag

and yes, all vehicle collision does damage. Have you even played halo pc or ce? I've killed so many ppl by running them over with banshees, warthogs, not really ghost since i tend to hover over them b/c of the damn hills, scorpions, etc.

Also what hunter said.

teh lag
February 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Keep ideas in your help thread. Make threads for ideas that are actually created.

Please do this. Not every thought deserves a thread.

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 04:23 PM
does the banshee boost do damage to other vehicles without hurting the banshee, I've played halo pc, and ce but I don't think you could kill a driver by ramming your vehicle into theirs, I thing with the energy sword lunge, it would make it a short boost like its suppose to and the collision would count as weapon damage, so it would kill the driver of the vehicle you hit.

aslo I'd like to bring up problems I have had allready but nobody as offferd help on yet

sparrowhawk camera: gurrilla won't let my change the instances for the camera in the gbxmodel tag.

tool: when I tried to build a scenerio structure, I got this

02.14.10 02:53:27 tool pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
02.14.10 02:53:27 file_open('data\levels\lakeside\models\.jms') error 0x00000002 'The system cannot find the file specified. '

and also I would like some tips on makeing complex building sturctures, things with rooms and rampways etc. some more complex designs than the one room bunker I made.

Inferno
February 14th, 2010, 04:30 PM

For the love of god. Are you dense?

'The system cannot find the file specified. '

Figure it out.

Hunter
February 14th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Tryed reading the error?

Here's a hint: 'The system cannot find the file specified. '

Edit: Dammit, Inferno. post like 2 seconds later next time please?

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM
well I know for a fact its there. I re exported 3 times and I still get the same thing. the JMS and Gmax model files are both in the models folder in the lakeside folder in the levels folder in the data folder.

Inferno
February 14th, 2010, 04:42 PM
well I know for a fact its there. I re exported 3 times and I still get the same thing. the JMS and Gmax model files are both in the models folder in the lakeside folder in the levels folder in the data folder.

If it were in the right place it would work.

Derp.

kid908
February 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
does the banshee boost do damage to other vehicles without hurting the banshee, I've played halo pc, and ce but I don't think you could kill a driver by ramming your vehicle into theirs, I thing with the energy sword lunge, it would make it a short boost like its suppose to and the collision would count as weapon damage, so it would kill the driver of the vehicle you hit.

Like I said, just stick to the basics first. seeing how your error is, you're not anywhere close to understanding what you're proposing.

aslo I'd like to bring up problems I have had allready but nobody as offferd help on yet

sparrowhawk camera: gurrilla won't let my change the instances for the camera in the gbxmodel tag.

and also I would like some tips on makeing complex building sturctures, things with rooms and rampways etc. some more complex designs than the one room bunker I made.

Try naming the file... ".jms" Name the .jms file "lakeside.jms" and type this command in.

tool structure levels\test\lakeside lakeside

I'm working on the building tutorial, I might have it done by tomorrow.

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM
it is! 3 time over! I think tool just hates me. :(

kid908
February 14th, 2010, 04:55 PM
get a skype and let me see what the hell you're doing...

Hunter
February 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM
it is! 3 time over! I think tool just hates me. :(

My name is Hunter not Tool.

kid908
February 14th, 2010, 05:03 PM
My name is Hunter not Tool.
But you are a Tool. ;)
But seriously, if you done it correctly, it should be working. I checked it before I posted, it should work.

Hunter
February 14th, 2010, 05:24 PM
:realsmug:

(Why doesn't the rep thingy come up when I try to rep someone but it says I need to spread rep...) Dammit.

ShadowSpartan
February 14th, 2010, 06:04 PM
:realsmug:

(Why doesn't the rep thingy come up when I try to rep someone but it says I need to spread rep...) Dammit.
If you click it a second time, it will show up. Yet another bug in VB4.

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 07:02 PM
forth time is once again the charm, it worked, thid time but I got a new problem.
Debug

02.14.10 05:50:03 tool pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
02.14.10 05:50:03 reference function: _write_to_error_file
02.14.10 05:50:03 reference address: 42ca20
02.14.10 05:50:03 Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
02.14.10 05:50:03 EAX: 0x00000000
02.14.10 05:50:03 EBX: 0x01557901
02.14.10 05:50:03 ECX: 0x00000000
02.14.10 05:50:03 EDX: 0x00000000
02.14.10 05:50:03 EDI: 0x0018F298
02.14.10 05:50:03 ESI: 0x00000000
02.14.10 05:50:03 EBP: 0x0018F170
02.14.10 05:50:03 ESP: 0x0018F160
02.14.10 05:50:03 EIP: 0x77530BE2, 83 C4 04 C2 ?????
02.14.10 05:50:03 EXCEPTION halt in .\intermediate_geometry.c,#444: triangle->material_index>=0 && triangle->material_index<old_material_count

kid908
February 14th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Give all faces a material ID.

Inferno
February 14th, 2010, 07:30 PM
You probably didn't assign a material.

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 08:05 PM
oh, I guess I didn't give my water an ID. thanks.

current problems:

sparrow hawk camera angle: gurrilla won't let me change the instances for the camera in the gbx model.

want tips for building complex buildings, with complex intiorios in gmax.

kid908
February 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM
oh, I guess I didn't give my water an ID. thanks.

current problems:

sparrow hawk camera angle: gurrilla won't let me change the instances for the camera in the gbx model.

want tips for building complex buildings, with complex intiorios in gmax.

Going to do the voice over tomorrow and render it.. Try Kornman00 for the cameral instances.

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I can't open kornman00, a prompt comes up saying that vorbisfile.dll is missing form my computer, but its sitting in my customedition directory, so where should this file be?

once again I run into an error in tool. still trying to build that scenerio structure

debug
02.14.10 09:32:24 tool pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
02.14.10 09:32:24 reference function: _write_to_error_file
02.14.10 09:32:24 reference address: 42ca20
02.14.10 09:32:24 Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'

also tool said "ERROR couldn't update edge #<insert some number here> (red)"
it was ther about ten times.

Inferno
February 14th, 2010, 09:06 PM
That error means you suck at modeling. Literally.

Your model has faces that are flipped the wrong way or edges that have more than 2 faces attached to them.

It also means you should clean up your geometry.

laghing_rabt
February 14th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I've gotten that error before, and I didn't mess with any faces then. but that map also had water in it so I think I'm doing the water wrong. the plane and the material in the material editor are labeled water!$. did I miss label, I'll try it without the $.

E: I get the damn Triangle thing again, why can't tool just fucking work for me for once! son of bitch! why the fuck would it go back to that, I though I cleared that up?

Hunter
February 15th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I don't think you should be going to complex until you can do basic :S

Inferno
February 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I've gotten that error before, and I didn't mess with any faces then. but that map also had water in it so I think I'm doing the water wrong. the plane and the material in the material editor are labeled water!$. did I miss label, I'll try it without the $.

E: I get the damn Triangle thing again, why can't tool just fucking work for me for once! son of bitch! why the fuck would it go back to that, I though I cleared that up?

It has nothing to do with tool. In fact tool is a excellent program.
You just need to get a fucking tutorial and follow it instead of just "winging it".

kid908
February 15th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Here's the indoor, 3-story building tutorial. Only cover doors and room. I fucked up a bit at the beginning b/c I wasn't used to the interface. I skipped cleaning up the mesh b/c I thought you would know how to do something like that. Just basic box rooms, if you want more, learn techniques, but this is just basics down seeing how you have trouble with EVERYTHING! About 14 min, I sounded sleepy b/c I was. Volume of voice is low so turn up yours. Sorry if you can't understand.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2GT6KWEH

laghing_rabt
February 16th, 2010, 10:30 PM
ok, I'm not winging it, I've looked at several tutorials, each several times, and I've come to the conclusion that I messed up modeling one of the bunkers on the map, but its fixed now. and thanks teh kid for the building tut.

E: any tutorials on making textures and uv mapping? I don't like sticking with simple repeated textures.

E: also can I get pointed out to a good cov carbine tag; I can't find any on halomaps.org.

laghing_rabt
February 28th, 2010, 01:54 AM
man my post took a drop back and my issues with shit doesn't.

I tried to purge all the zteam effects that have been fucking with me by riping an original map that came with the game, and turining the overite thing on in my settings, but now I can't open any thing in sapien any more I get this in my debug

2.28.10 00:39:41 sapien pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
02.28.10 00:39:41 reference function: _write_to_error_file
02.28.10 00:39:41 reference address: 401b13
02.28.10 00:39:41 Couldn't read map file './sapienbeta.map'
02.28.10 00:39:41 CreateDevice succeeded with refresh rate = 0
02.28.10 00:39:42 Sound card doesn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Disabling hardware option.
02.28.10 00:39:42 Increasing sound decompression buffer size to 1048576 bytes
02.28.10 00:39:43 the meter definition ui\hud\cyborg shield does not specify a stencil bitmap group.
02.28.10 00:39:43 the meter definition ui\hud\cyborg body does not specify a stencil bitmap group.
02.28.10 00:39:43 EAX: 0x00000000
02.28.10 00:39:43 EBX: 0x00000101
02.28.10 00:39:43 ECX: 0x00000000
02.28.10 00:39:43 EDX: 0x00000000
02.28.10 00:39:43 EDI: 0x0018E3D0
02.28.10 00:39:43 ESI: 0x00000000
02.28.10 00:39:43 EBP: 0x0018E2A8
02.28.10 00:39:43 ESP: 0x0018E298
02.28.10 00:39:43 EIP: 0x773F0BE2, 83 C4 04 C2 ?????
02.28.10 00:39:43 EXCEPTION halt in \halopc\haloce\source\tag_files\tag_groups.c,#3157 : #-1 is not a valid object_function_block index in [#0,#4)

don't worry about the sound card issues, I always get that, and it hasn't caused any problems before. andI can't find the stencils its talking about.

help would be very much appreciated. I know you guys perfer to flame me instead, but I put up with it becuase this is the only place where people have the slightest clue of what they're talking about.

ghk
February 28th, 2010, 02:18 AM
its the last error thats messing you up "02.28.10 00:39:43 EXCEPTION halt in \halopc\haloce\source\tag_files\tag_groups.c,#3157 : #-1 is not a valid object_function_block index in [#0,#4)"
get a new scorpion folder and your problem will be solved

laghing_rabt
February 28th, 2010, 02:42 PM
how the hell could you tell what it was? thanks. now any one got any tips on modeling weapons in gmax, the tutorial I found that delt with modeling it said to use a profile image of the gun being modeled, but I don't have that luxury, and I'd rather box model than use planes. also is it possible to create bipeds solely using gmax? and I don't know how to skin, or do practically any thing with textures besides repeating the same one over and over again. and how do you make leaves for trees? I exported a model of a tree to see how they make it, but the leaves seem a little complicated.

CodeBrain
February 28th, 2010, 02:49 PM
how the hell could you tell what it was?

That error is old as dirt man

everyone and their friends friends had that error and fixed it

laghing_rabt
February 28th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I'm a noob leave me alone. also can I get any tutorials on making devices? I want to make a really big door, like the one on high ground.

CodeBrain
February 28th, 2010, 08:12 PM
also can I get any tutorials on making devices? I want to make a really big door, like the one on high ground.

I went on hce.halomaps.org, searched "device tutorial" and it was the first item in the list. It took at the most 10 seconds to do.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1209

Please search before you ask, because most of the time a tutorial/solution has been already made to help you do something.

laghing_rabt
March 1st, 2010, 05:59 AM
I serched for a device tutorial and got 3 pages of weapon tutorials, then 2 pages of stupid maps and vehicle tutorials. can I get any tips for making complex textures for vehicles, and weapons? I'm kinda only in the basics for texturing and uving. thanks for the help so far though.

kid908
March 1st, 2010, 09:17 PM
http://tinyurl.com/ykb65sm

Third link down.

http://waylon-art.com/uvw_tutorial/uvwtut_01.html

laghing_rabt
March 2nd, 2010, 04:55 PM
by the way, whats wrong with the scorpion folder that gives that error? also I'm making trees and don't know how to go about making the leaves, I exported a model but was lost by how they did the leaves. and is it possible to make a biped using only gmax, or do I need some other program that hopefully is free?

DarkHalo003
March 4th, 2010, 09:53 PM
by the way, whats wrong with the scorpion folder that gives that error? also I'm making trees and don't know how to go about making the leaves, I exported a model but was lost by how they did the leaves. and is it possible to make a biped using only gmax, or do I need some other program that hopefully is free?
When extracting or having tags for a certain amount of time and application, they files may go corrupt or unusable. That's why you received the error.

I'd simply make a plane and shape it like a leave (by vert modeling it would be very fast, but don't focus on detail, just general shape).

You can animate and rig bipeds using 3ds Max, however, you are at the mercy of no render and some tools that make it easier to animate and model in 3ds Max. There are several tutorials I suggest looking up on Halomaps.org that feature Gmax being used as a rigging program for bipeds in Halo.

sleepy1212
March 4th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I'd simply make a plane and shape it like a leave (by vert modeling it would be very fast, but don't focus on detail, just general shape).

better to paint twigs and leaves and alpha out the rest and apply that texture to much simpler geometry.

ShadowSpartan
March 5th, 2010, 08:44 AM
When extracting or having tags for a certain amount of time and application, they files may go corrupt or unusable.
If you don't know what you are talking about, don't try to act like you do. The only reason the scorpion tags extracted with HEK+ have errors is because HEK+ has a bug in the way it parses the tag data. If I recall correctly, it had to do with the animation tag.

laghing_rabt
March 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM
to bad my corel photopaint program is outdated as hell and doesn't always work. is there a good freeware program for this?

sleepy1212
March 5th, 2010, 03:40 PM
GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) : free

PSPX2 (http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1184951547051#tabview=tab0) : free trial - $99.99 for full version
(i personally prefer this program and it's not that expensive compared to some of the other software i use)

laghing_rabt
March 5th, 2010, 03:49 PM
ok creating some complex textures for maps, and stuff doesn't seem that complicated, what about creating textures and shaders for something like a vehicle? a jet perhaps. also can i add more than 2 types of grenades? have frag, plasma, and flashbang?

ShadowSpartan
March 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM
also can i add more than 2 types of grenades? have frag, plasma, and flashbang?
No, you cannot do it unless you make the grenade an actual weapon.

laghing_rabt
March 5th, 2010, 07:36 PM
well what about making some good textures and stuff for more complex models like vehicles and weapons? does any body got advice or tips or whatever on the subject?

doompig444
March 5th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I use GIMP. Seems to work fine for me. Search up some GIMP tutorials and get used to it, then you can texture stuff :)

laghing_rabt
March 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM
cI found a map that had turrets set up as Iould I replace the flashlight with the nightvision from the sniper rifle? also I found a map that had turrets set up as Item collections, how do I do that, and can I do it with other vehicles?

kid908
March 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
1. I could not understand that last post at all.
2. most of what you're asking can be fixed with google search.

laghing_rabt
March 6th, 2010, 10:16 PM
wow, I didn't read that, I blame a choppy internet connection. can I replace the flashlight function with the nightvision from the sniper rifle and it still work the same. also, I found a map that had turrets set up as item-collections, how do I do that, does it effect the number of vehicles alloud on the map, and can I do it with other vehicles?

doompig444
March 7th, 2010, 01:10 AM
For the flashlight thing, I don't get what you mean by "work the same", but yeah, it's in the HUD tag. Just study how it's done on the sniper rifle .weapon_hud_interface and do that with all of the weapons.

laghing_rabt
March 8th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I found the nightvision thing in the sniper weapon_hud_interface, and found out I cant use it in a unit_hud_interface tag. I tried unchecking the use for zoom only box on it before adding it to all the other weapon huds, but that didn't work. also, I found a map that had turrets set up as item-collections, how do I do that, does it effect the number of vehicles allowed on the map, and can I do it with other vehicles? also can I get a tutorial on modeling bipeds on gmax I'd perfere a video? and I'd like to get some tutorials on making textures for thing like vehicles, and then doing the shader.

laghing_rabt
March 16th, 2010, 10:14 PM
read above post, and a few new questions. one, can I make a biped invisible, instead of the actor varient so I can use it in game. second how do I add things like grass without making scenery, I don't know what their called; and can I make some thick grass with it.

sleepy1212
March 17th, 2010, 08:04 AM
sprites?

paladin
March 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM
read above post, and a few new questions. one, can I make a biped invisible, instead of the actor varient so I can use it in game. second how do I add things like grass without making scenery, I don't know what their called; and can I make some thick grass with it.

Sprites, or small planes connected to the bsp that export with the level geometry. I did this a few times, but if you have too big of an area, your poly count goes through the roof. Then, you'd want to consider sprites.

laghing_rabt
March 17th, 2010, 07:16 PM
so I just make planes on the map when modeling it and it should work like the grass or whatever on any other level and oddly rotate to fit the angle your looking at them? so do they increase the poly count significantly, becuase I the map I'm working on allready has alot more polygons on it than I usally use. also can I get a tutorial or somehting on how to use gimp to its full extent?

paladin
March 18th, 2010, 03:17 PM
youd end up with something like this

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4024/14747662.jpg

chrisk123999
March 18th, 2010, 04:34 PM
You would want to use detail object collections in sapien.

laghing_rabt
March 20th, 2010, 03:16 PM
can I get a tutorial on using gimp to its full extent?

SnaFuBAR
March 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

daerp :downs:

laghing_rabt
April 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
this came up again
04.16.10 20:10:06 sapien pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
04.16.10 20:10:06 reference function: _write_to_error_file
04.16.10 20:10:06 reference address: 401b13
04.16.10 20:10:06 Couldn't read map file './sapienbeta.map'
04.16.10 20:10:06 CreateDevice succeeded with refresh rate = 0
04.16.10 20:10:07 Sound card doesn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Disabling hardware option.
04.16.10 20:10:07 Increasing sound decompression buffer size to 1048576 bytes
04.16.10 20:10:09 the meter definition ui\hud\cyborg shield does not specify a stencil bitmap group.
04.16.10 20:10:09 the meter definition ui\hud\cyborg body does not specify a stencil bitmap group.
04.16.10 20:10:09 EAX: 0x00000000
04.16.10 20:10:09 EBX: 0x00000101
04.16.10 20:10:09 ECX: 0x00000000
04.16.10 20:10:09 EDX: 0x00000000
04.16.10 20:10:09 EDI: 0x0018E3D0
04.16.10 20:10:09 ESI: 0x00000000
04.16.10 20:10:09 EBP: 0x0018E2A8
04.16.10 20:10:09 ESP: 0x0018E298
04.16.10 20:10:09 EIP: 0x775E0BE2, 83 C4 04 C2 ?????
04.16.10 20:10:09 EXCEPTION halt in \halopc\haloce\source\tag_files\tag_groups.c,#3157 : #-1 is not a valid object_function_block index in [#0,#4)
Ya'll told me it was a the scorpion folder last time, so I replaced it and for a while all was well, but it came up again and no amount of replacing the folder seems to help. I can't open anything.

teh lag
April 16th, 2010, 07:21 PM
The Monitor is also known to cause problems like that, I think.

Roostervier
April 16th, 2010, 07:55 PM
also check if there's something in the main tag directory called ".weapon" with no name for it, just .weapon. if there is, delete it. that's happened to me before after ripping some sp maps.

laghing_rabt
April 16th, 2010, 09:43 PM
no that wasn't the case.

Inferno
April 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Stop ripping tags and you won't get that problem. Ripping with HEK+ has a tendency to corrupt tags, specifically, animation graphs and functions.

laghing_rabt
April 17th, 2010, 06:48 PM
well can I get some help on solving the problem? and I do try to avoid ripping tags, but usually the best tags aren't released by themselves.

Roostervier
April 17th, 2010, 09:05 PM
we gave you help. to my knowledge those are the only known explanations. you could always reinstall ce or replace your current tag set with a clean one.

laghing_rabt
April 17th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I got another question, how come, when a marine has a shield he becomes almost invincible? is there a way to fix this?

laghing_rabt
April 30th, 2010, 09:53 PM
can I get some modeling tips for Gmax? I'm modeling a UNSC cityscape, and I'd like to add some custom bipeds to, but I have little modeling experience, especially with bipeds. Also I'd like to know how to make more complex and better looking shaders.

t3h m00kz
May 11th, 2010, 08:32 PM
google low poly character modeling

laghing_rabt
May 15th, 2010, 03:56 PM
What about making shaders? and I'm still having issues with making bitmaps for things like weapons and stuff. also when did my rep go down and why? I'd like to think I stopped making an ass out of myself quite a while ago.

laghing_rabt
May 28th, 2010, 05:18 PM
can any one help me out with shaders and skinning?

Maniac
May 28th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Ask specific questions, and ill try to answer them.

laghing_rabt
June 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM
how to make shaders and how to skin models. I got some vehicle models but I don't know how to make them pretty with pictures of nuts and bolts.

laghing_rabt
July 27th, 2010, 04:26 PM
uhhh, ignored. I don't know how to make images for models, and adding them so they line up right. can I get some help, or at least directed towards a good tutorial on it.