PDA

View Full Version : I want to end this with a bang.

PopeAK49
February 20th, 2010, 04:00 PM
A very long time ago I posted a thread called "adding horror to halo." It seemed as if this project never went underway since no updates were posted for months.
I needed to plan on ending my halo development carrer with a bang. I couldn't stand the thought of not producing something great and then quit. I must make something that people can somewhat remember me for. It's been about 4 years since I have started mapping for halo, but I was only able to produce a 5 maps because I never stayed with one project. I then decided that I should end my carrer by showing the community what skill I have with the HEK. So I looked back and saw my old horror thread for Halo and instantly wrote down a mission paper. That mission paper turned out to be produced into a 100+ page story. I read the story over and over again to see what I can use from halo to make everything connect well. I played all the halo games and looked at all the technology used by humans and the flood environments. I also played the dead space story one more time because the necromorphs almost seemed very simular to the flood (environments, using hosts, etc.).
I was able to produce a story with some dead space traits but not to the point of being over used to make it seem like a rip off. The thing that seems mostly the same in the story to dead space is the fact that you use a transporter to get to the next level.
After finalizing my story I produced the layouts for the levels and the encounters, after that I developed a script for cutscenes. Now I'm at the point of turning this story from words and concepts all the way to a 3d story.

Summary of the story
Before the human-covenant war began, humanity was spreading it's colonies throughout space. One ship called the UNSC Leviathan was Colony/Warship. Lot's of the colony ship at the time had mac cannons and weaponry because of the Eridanus Rebel always high jacking unarmed colony ships. Anyways, you play as Sgt.Keller who wakes up from cryosleep. He grabs his pistol and helmet and ventures out of his room. He notices that something doesn't seem right, the lights were constantly flickering and their were no crewmen in sight. He continues on and enters a room that is divided by a glass wall, for several quick seconds the lights flash and he thought to have seen marines behind the glass wall but they dissapeared. Later, he enters the mess hall and a quarantine is activated, he takes out his pistol and notices some human figures that are about to attack him so he opens fire. When the quarantine is lifted he notices that these humanoid creatures are his crew but something terrible has happened to them.
He later discovers that this alien life form is called the flood and that this ship was orbiting not just a planet but these creatures terraformed home world. He learns a lot about his enemy and notices that these aliens are a bigger threat to the universe than he could have imagine. He can't afford to let these creatures to take control of the ship, and discover the location of earth and all the colonies. He has to destroy the ship but at the same time survive. Besides learning about his enemy, he figures out how this whole thing happened in the first place and that this wasn't about collecting minerals and spreading out the colonies but a more complicated secret.

I don't want to get to far into the story otherwise I will spoil it all for you. I also don't want to see any dumbass posts about not showing pictures for this. I've been working on a story for several months, I think that's good enough. Don't worry though, it doesn't mean I won't show anything.

sleepy1212
February 20th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I love the horror idea.

cannibals, necromancy, gross genetic experiments, whatever...it's all great!

S3anyBoy
February 20th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Liking the idea, but have you actually done anything aside from story yet though?

PopeAK49
February 20th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Right now all I have are words and layouts. I'm trying to develop a concept for the UNSC ship used in this mod. It will probably will end up looking somewhere close to the spirit of fire but not as extremly detailed. Interiors are going to be a combination of the autumn and cairo. But the ship is going to be the first thing that I design and then I'll develop the sky with the flood planet and such.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/halo/images/7/79/UNSC_Spirit_of_Fire_(CFV-88).png

Higuy
February 20th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Unless the main character dies, this isn't very cannon at all and the story dosent fit well. ONI would of classified it. You can't just go off and wing a story like that. Its great you have a idea you want, but there should be more backround information to the story so it all makes sense and is cannon. You have a good horror fiction, add onto it, but make sure its good!

S3anyBoy
February 20th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Since when do mods have to be canon? It's obviously better if it does fit, but technically it can never really be canon unless Bungie (or 343 Industries) says so.

Higuy
February 20th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Since when do mods have to be canon? It's obviously better if it does fit, but technically it can never really be canon unless Bungie (or 343 Industries) says so.
It seriously doesn't take very long to think something like this out to make it cannon. It looks alot more professionally done, especially if your going for something in that universe. It may not be cannon becuase bungie didn't make it, but at least it fits correctly.

S3anyBoy
February 20th, 2010, 09:11 PM
It seriously doesn't take very long to think something like this out to make it cannon. It looks alot more professionally done, especially if your going for something in that universe. It may not be cannon becuase bungie didn't make it, but at least it fits correctly.

He did say it wasn't the whole story because he wanted to avoid spoilers; I'm sure he thought it out.
It's spelled canon btw :3

Pope, why not post the whole thing, that way people could provide feedback and such?

ThePlague
February 21st, 2010, 12:32 AM
I'll help model this meng. I'm good with human stuff.

Kalub
February 21st, 2010, 12:57 AM
Boats and Hoes up in HEEEEERRRR

PopeAK49
February 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
He did say it wasn't the whole story because he wanted to avoid spoilers; I'm sure he thought it out.
It's spelled canon btw :3

Pope, why not post the whole thing, that way people could provide feedback and such?

Atleast someone understands.

I don't want to post the whole thing. But this game can relate to the halo universe in several ways. At the begining of the story nothing makes since, but later you find a video log that discribes exactly what happened. That's all I can really say right now. I'm pretty sure that a ship in the halo universe at the time went into slipspace and discovered a forerunner world that was terraformed by the flood. I mean it could have happened, but this story will make sense. Right now I'm modeling the first level. Sorry for not being able to give off so much info but I just want people to learn the story from the mod if you know what I mean.

malolo420
February 23rd, 2010, 02:37 AM
Yeah I agree not to post the whole thing, it will ruin the suspense since you will know what happens.

Inferno
February 24th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Do you even know how to map. I've never seen any of your mods.

sleepy1212
February 24th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Do you even know how to map. I've never seen any of your mods.

lol you added ancient sanctuary to the map list.
?....we had a good time on it :v:
I was laughing alittle bit because that was my map. And I'm a terrible level designer.

:v:

Lateksi
February 25th, 2010, 03:19 AM
He's not a terrible level designer... Ancient Sanctuary is awesome and I wonder why it was never finished.

sevlag
February 25th, 2010, 09:47 AM
He's not a terrible level designer... Ancient Sanctuary is awesome and I wonder why it was never finished.
it'll be finished around the time DNF is done :3

sorry pope

PopeAK49
February 26th, 2010, 05:44 PM
You guys are right! Why did I even begin creating levels for Halo Custom Edition. A waste of my fucking life. Sticking some fireworks in my computer really helped with getting my life on track.

FUCK HALO AND THE COMMUNITY!!!

Dwood
February 26th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I certainly hope that was sarcasm.

Hunter
February 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Oi, boy. You will not be fucking the community. Because I will NOT be fucked by you. :) Dwood is good though, bring it :P