PDA

View Full Version : Open Sauce and first person animations

Choking Victim
February 21st, 2010, 09:15 PM
I've recently been messing with Open Sauce and I decided to tackle first person animations.

One thing that's always annoyed me is the lack of permutation support, so I corrected this:
aF-cqo5VOr8

Another thing is the disabled animation states, such as light-on/light-off, I also corrected this:
1QZJ5KQpxbU

I'm looking to release once I correct a few things, just previewing what I have so far to see what you guys think.

Credits:
Choking Victim - Programming, Research, Execution
CtrlAltDestroy - first video and tags
ShadowSpartan - Programming tips/help/support
Kornman00 - for Open Sauce and helping debug <3
Firescythe - Answered my OS questions
Penguin1362 - Gets rid of my erections

PenGuin1362
February 21st, 2010, 09:25 PM
You forgot Penguin - for just being awesome. Great ideas. I love it.

Choking Victim
February 21st, 2010, 09:26 PM
Yea I forgot you, fixed ;p. <3

CodeBrain
February 21st, 2010, 09:55 PM
Well, I see Zteam has finally shown off some Open Sauce stuff XD

Very nice, would love to see this being released :-3

Dwood
February 21st, 2010, 10:50 PM
Nice, im very glad to see you guys doing stuff with os.

ODX
February 22nd, 2010, 04:12 PM
What do you name the melee animations? Are they like, melee-1 and melee-2, or can they been named anything as long as they're referenced by whatever it is that you did?

Edit: :O, this is my 666th post!...

Choking Victim
February 22nd, 2010, 04:23 PM
It's exactly like third person animation permutations. Name your source files with the '%number' naming convention, and compile. For instance, melee permutations are named 'first-person melee%0.jmm', 'first-person melee%1.jmm' etc... tool will compile them appropriately, and fill in the 'next animation' field, which is what this open sauce modification requires.

Kornman00
February 22nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Heh, guess I'll have to give the animation importer more priority now in figuring out why it still only does 256 animations

Donut
February 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
oh this is awesome. are you guys planning anything else like this?

Kornman00
February 23rd, 2010, 01:15 AM
I've targeted what I believe are the other fixups which need to be done on the importer's end for allowing more than 256 animations. I'll try to have it tested this weekend or next

Choking Victim
February 23rd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Awesome! Thanks alot korn.

FRain
February 23rd, 2010, 09:27 AM
Also, will you be able to rid the sliding grenade throwing?

Choking Victim
February 23rd, 2010, 09:30 AM
Also, will you be able to rid the sliding grenade throwing?
wut?

seanthelawn
February 23rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
I think he means when you throw a grenade while moving, your feet/legs stay frozen in a standing position even though you're moving around, so it makes it look like you're sliding.

Choking Victim
February 23rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Might be possible, I'll look around.

Kornman00
February 23rd, 2010, 10:10 AM
Wouldn't that be an issue with the grenade throw animation not being an overlay or something to that effect?

Choking Victim
February 23rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Wouldn't that be an issue with the grenade throw animation not being an overlay or something to that effect?
Basically, yea. iirc, the game won't use a grenade throw animation that's an overlay, but I can probably trick it into doing so.

Kornman00
February 23rd, 2010, 11:50 AM
Guess it's just time we all moved on to Halo 2 Vista/Xbox :ohdear:

Choking Victim
February 23rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
Only if you release Open Sauce for it. ;p

jcap
February 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Not like it would help anything with the god awful state the multiplayer is in... Nothing can fix the server lists or dedicated server problems.

Dwood
February 23rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
If someone made it possible to make SP maps effectively I'd consider purchasing tbqh. (h2v that is)

Someone, quick, make it possible to use any resolution of bitmaps for ui.

Limited
February 23rd, 2010, 05:30 PM
If someone made it possible to make SP maps effectively I'd consider purchasing tbqh. (h2v that is)

Someone, quick, make it possible to use any resolution of bitmaps for ui.
:shake: dear oh dear.

Fantastic work as always CV!

bobsam
February 23rd, 2010, 05:50 PM
Now you need to find out how to make it so when you look up your gun gets closer to your face, and when you look down it gets farther away from your face. Also when you zoom in the ammo counter moves down into the the left middle of the scope like in Halo 3. That's all I can think of, at the moment.

t3h m00kz
February 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM
How about seperate ready animations for when you first ready the gun, then ready it a second time so you're not chambering rounds over and over

Arlioz
February 25th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Hey, uh how do i get open sauce to work correctly? I'm really sorry for being a N00b, but someone help me get open sauce to work.

ShadowSpartan
February 25th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Hey, uh how do i get open sauce to work correctly? I'm really sorry for being a N00b, but someone help me get open sauce to work.
Don't clutter up this thread with posts asking for help with OS. Post in this thread (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17758) instead. Though, something tells me that you don't have enough experience to develop something using OS.

Choking Victim
February 26th, 2010, 07:51 AM
How about seperate ready animations for when you first ready the gun, then ready it a second time so you're not chambering rounds over and over
This isn't a suggestion thread. diy.

t3h m00kz
February 26th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Too lazy; busy with overtime; lacking programming skills.

DarkHalo003
March 2nd, 2010, 08:30 PM
Didn't Ifafudafi have permutations with his Plasma Rifle? I could have sworn his melee was two different kinds.

Choking Victim
March 2nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Didn't Ifafudafi have permutations with his Plasma Rifle? I could have sworn his melee was two different kinds.
Not possible unless he edited the memory.

Ifafudafi
March 2nd, 2010, 11:15 PM

Nope (not sure where you got this idea tbqh)

Dwood
March 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Nope (not sure where you got this idea tbqh)

Yeah ifaf can't even make his own animations.

Ifafudafi
March 3rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Actually, back before I got my new computer I reanimated and tweaked the Plasma Rifle's model for Plasma Pack 1, but I haven't been able to get anything to work since that.

DarkHalo003
March 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Actually, back before I got my new computer I reanimated and tweaked the Plasma Rifle's model for Plasma Pack 1, but I haven't been able to get anything to work since that.
Hmmm, this is very odd. Perhaps my eyes were playing tricks on me. I'll load a map and see what happens again. Unless CLS Grunt tweaked some crap for his Captus level (which has your alleged Plasma Rifle), I'll come back with hopefully a short video of what I mean.

Choking Victim
April 16th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Update:

And God said, let there be multiple permutations. And there were...multiple permutations. :-3

I've scrapped my old build of OS (which was mainly me just fucking around and learning the in's and out's of the SDK) and started a more serious implementation. I do plan on redoing what' I've shown for first person animations, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Something else peaked my interests:
IDMuR-iyTeI

I've added support for multiple damage permutations, as seen in halo 2 and halo 3.

How it works: The user simply compiles his model and collision with whatever names you'd like, then define the permutation parameters in a custom tag (zteam_globals). The model permutes based on a damage threshold value in that custom tag. When a region reaches that threshold of damage, the model permutes. I'll show a more complete demonstration later on, I whipped this box up in 5 minutes since someone was too busy to make me a vehicle with these properties...I'm looking at you cad :toughguy:. (it's alright buddy ;P)

Ohh btw, you're not restricted to 4 permutations, you can define as many as you'd like and they'll permute as long as there's a damage threshold value to test for. Plus, this fixes a problem where any region over the eighth (the original block limit which is bypassed in OS) wouldn't permute.

ThePlague
April 16th, 2010, 11:22 AM
You sir are full of win.

Siliconmaster
April 16th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Wow, nice work! +Rep

Con
April 16th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Good stuff, this has a lot of potential.

Dwood
April 16th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I cant see the vid, and pardon if i missed something but is this for vehicles only or bipeds too?

Edit: hopped on compy, saw video, pretty nice. It'd be awesome if you found a way to make flood infection forms morph into pure forms etc etc. :P

Choking Victim
April 16th, 2010, 02:02 PM
It works on any object, but the problem with bipeds is that they don't play their corresponding ping animations. It's fixable, but I'm frankly not interested in pursuing it simply because there aren't any halo 2 or 3 bipeds that have more than one damage permutation...that I'm aware of.

Warsaw
April 16th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Who said anything about following Halo 2 and 3's stuff specifically though? It's about having the ability to go above and beyond Halo 2 and 3, not just riffing on it.

ODX
April 16th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Pretty cool, I can see a lot of uses for this in Single Player maps.

Also, that's a pretty wonky firing animation.

Higuy
April 16th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Could you do FP cutscenes with this?
( I mean the animations, not the destructible, but thats cool too!)

Choking Victim
April 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Who said anything about following Halo 2 and 3's stuff specifically though? It's about having the ability to go above and beyond Halo 2 and 3, not just riffing on it.
Look around. Do you see anyone making custom bipeds, let alone bipeds with damage permutations? I don't want to make it a priority when no one will use it. If I find an easy way to implement it, maybe I will, but if not I see no reason to.

Also higuy, I made a script function allowing you to play a first person animation by name, so yeah, fp cutscenes are possible.

Dwood
April 16th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I think that you would find that if the features are there people will use them. also, are you looking into the infection to pure form thing?

Choking Victim
April 17th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I think that you would find that if the features are there people will use them. also, are you looking into the infection to pure form thing?
What about the existing awesome features of OS that nobody seems to use? And no, the pure to infection form thing isn't on my list of things to do, but we'll see if it peaks my interests later on.

Sasc
April 17th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Does this fully sync online? If one client in a server damages an object, would another client see the changes? or is all of the work done client side?

jcap
April 17th, 2010, 11:36 AM
My guess is that it's all client-side. The OS code for client syncing was never completed.

Choking Victim
April 17th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Does this fully sync online? If one client in a server damages an object, would another client see the changes? or is all of the work done client side?
Basically what jcap said. Regular damage permutations don't sync, so neither will this. Since I'm hooking the existing function that permutes an objects model when it takes a certain threshold of damage.

Malloy
April 17th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I'm curious... how did CAD's backpack mod work... cos then you could apply seperate armour segments to bipeds (the armour segments being the 'weapons' in this case) and have shoulder pads and chest plates with varying destructive permutations. If any of that makes sense.

Dwood
April 17th, 2010, 11:02 PM
There is a number of roadblocks in the adoption of current os features such as a 15 limit on new globals in compiling the scripts as well as the lack of custom script functions while compiling, and there is no one using the ex cache method because halomaps wont accept them, as they dennis only uses 1.09.

jcap
April 17th, 2010, 11:21 PM
We really need a download manager...

It has always been a dream of mine to have a well-organized library of maps, tags, and tutorials on this site. Everything would be subject to approval, so there would be no crap, and it would have the best maps of the past and the future.

Unfortunately, there's like no good ones available for vB. I would love something that has categories, allows each item to have a picture, allows user star ratings, allows user comments (HUGE PLUS!), allows users to post any pictures (both of action in games and vistas), and I don't want it to be a separate forum. I haven't found anything to do all of that.

With this and the H2V stuff, the demand is greater than ever.

ShadowSpartan
April 17th, 2010, 11:44 PM
There is a number of roadblocks in the adoption of current os features such as a 15 limit on new globals in compiling the scripts as well as the lack of custom script functions while compiling, and there is no one using the ex cache method because halomaps wont accept them, as they dennis only uses 1.09.
And why did you post this? Nobody asked about it. The limit of 15 new globals and not being able to compile script functions does not even apply to him, because I wrote a tool that will do it, which he is using.

As for halomaps thing, who cares? A map doesn't have to be on halomaps in order to be released or be considered 'popular'.

It has always been a dream of mine to have a well-organized library of maps, tags, and tutorials on this site. Everything would be subject to approval, so there would be no crap, and it would have the best maps of the past and the future.
I think having something like that would be good actually. You could always try to write something yourself if you can't find anything. :p

stilts
April 18th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I've recently been messing with Open Sauce and I decided to tackle first person animations.

One thing that's always annoyed me is the lack of permutation support, so I corrected this:
aF-cqo5VOr8

Another thing is the disabled animation states, such as light-on/light-off, I also corrected this:
1QZJ5KQpxbU

I'm looking to release once I correct a few things, just previewing what I have so far to see what you guys think.

Credits:
Choking Victim - Programming, Research, Execution
CtrlAltDestroy - first video and tags
ShadowSpartan - Programming tips/help/support
Kornman00 - for Open Sauce and helping debug <3
Firescythe - Answered my OS questions
Penguin1362 - Gets rid of my erections

Cool stuff man

Kornman00
April 19th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Was it really required to quote that entire post just to provide that single (yet complemetory) comment :\?

Hunter
April 19th, 2010, 11:28 AM
We really need a download manager...

Unfortunately, there's like no good ones available for vB. I would love something that has categories, allows each item to have a picture, allows user star ratings, allows user comments (HUGE PLUS!), allows users to post any pictures (both of action in games and vistas), and I don't want it to be a separate forum. I haven't found anything to do all of that.

With this and the H2V stuff, the demand is greater than ever.

Tbqh that could be coded in pretty easy with PHP, AJAX ect... I could do that :P

But does the host have the space and bandwidth? And rival of haloripsmaps ? :P

Choking Victim
April 19th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Cool. Take it to pm's.

Rentafence
April 19th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Late to the party~

This is awesome. I'm really tempted to go back and finish this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7WX3rUBOoA) now that I can have multiple melee animations for it.