PDA

View Full Version : Higher Resolution in Halo?

TROOPER
March 1st, 2010, 09:20 AM
Hello everyone i have recently purchased a new 22 inch monitor with a native resolution of 1920x 1080. When i go into the settings in halo the highest resolution is 1600x1200 but it looks zoomed in. Is there any way to bump up the resolution without loosing quality? I have tried using The Fov app and Yelo battery but they dont work with halo version 1.09.

Any help is appreciated :iamafag:

other questions hopefully to be answered:

1. how do you install/use open sauce? found the dll.

2. does open sauce work for pc version as well?

3. So my CE executable is now 1.08 but when i try to change to 1.09 with version changer i cant connect to any servers. some servers show connection timed out.

jcap
March 1st, 2010, 09:30 AM
Add -vidmode 1920,1080,60 (width,height,refresh) to your Halo CE shortcut. If you're having FOV problems, you should revert to 1.08 and use OpenSauce to automatically adjust your FOV, regardless of your custom resolution.

StankBacon
March 1st, 2010, 09:32 AM
you have to edit your halo shortcut..

"D:\GAMES\Halo CE\haloce.exe" -vidmode 1920,1080,60

add the bold part after like so. (obviously your path will be different but you get the idea)

e: ninja'd by jscrap :/

t3h m00kz
March 1st, 2010, 09:33 AM
You're not gonna get widescreen support without yelo, so I highly suggest it. I can't help with the resolution since I'm a noob.

For widescreen support,
1. Backup the 1.09 haloce.EXE and strings.dll
2. Uninstall CE 1.09
3. Reinstall to 1.00
4. Upgrade to 1.07
5. Install Yelo Battery
6. Install Version Changer

This way you can switch between 1.09 and 1.07 with the version changer, and you have the required files for a 1.09 install, all you need to do is drag and drop your backed up files into the root directory. 1.07 has support for most of the cool apps anyway, and in my opinion is the best choice of a version to use

E: Or, as Jcap said, Open Sauce may work too. I've never really used it so I couldn't tell you.

TROOPER
March 1st, 2010, 09:51 AM
ah thanks for the help guys i will try this stuff out.

jcap
March 1st, 2010, 09:51 AM
OpenSauce (the released dll) is Yelo Battery + more. Also, instead of uninstalling CE, you can download just the haloce.exe and strings.dll files from Patrick's server. He posted the link in another thread, so I'm sure someone else can post it here unless I find it.

TROOPER
March 1st, 2010, 10:16 AM
i tried the version changer and yelo battery fix and it seams to work now. but now i have to have the cd in to run the game and there are less servers. oh well.

seanthelawn
March 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Do what Jcap said with Open Sauce and 1.08 instead of Yelo and 1.07, then you won't need the cd.

Con
March 1st, 2010, 12:50 PM
That's what I do. Use 1.08 so you can enjoy OS..

TROOPER
March 1st, 2010, 01:29 PM
1. how do you install open sauce...

2. does open sauce work for pc version as well?

3. wow thats just great now halo ce doesn't even startup all i get is the halo logo and the ui music... NVM fixed it lol.

Hunter
March 1st, 2010, 01:34 PM
Speaking of Higher Resolution Halo, what has happened with HRH? WoL?

Cagerrin
March 1st, 2010, 01:47 PM
Speaking of Higher Resolution Halo, what has happened with HRH? WoL?
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20064

Hunter
March 1st, 2010, 01:59 PM
Oh cheers :) I only check the Studio and Halo Custom Edition sections.

Limited
March 1st, 2010, 02:18 PM
OpenSauce (the released dll) is Yelo Battery + more. Also, instead of uninstalling CE, you can download just the haloce.exe and strings.dll files from Patrick's server. He posted the link in another thread, so I'm sure someone else can post it here unless I find it.
http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/downloads/HaloVersions/
:D

Sean Aero
March 12th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Bumping this a bit since I just recently acquired my beast :)

Question, does any of know how I would be able let the FPS go above 60 as in no vsync, when I force the resolution through -vidmode 1920, 1080?
Version 1.09 exe solutions only please :)

Cortexian
March 12th, 2011, 05:27 PM
-vidmode 1920,1080,60
Start Halo
Change graphics settings to no vsync
Restart Halo (because it's probably going to set it to the resolution selected in the settings menu as well)

Sean Aero
March 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Change graphics settings to no vsync
Restart Halo (because it's probably going to set it to the resolution selected in the settings menu as well)

I tried the above mentioned method.
When I check the ingame FPS bar (ctrl+f12) both numbers stays at 60.
I ran a -timedemo just to see what the output would be. I'm kinda surprised that it says no vsync is selected but however in game the FPS meter stays at 60.

Date / Time: 13-3-2011 0:46:05 (5313690ms)
3400MHz, 1024MB, 768M ATI Unknown (DeviceID=0x6898) Driver=8.17.10.1065 Shader=3.0
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\haloce.exe -console -vidmode 1920, 1080, 60 -timedemo (Version=1.0.9.620)
Frames=4700
Total Time=3.61s
Average frame rate=1300.86fps
Below 5fps= 0% (time) 0% (frames) (0.000s spent in 0 frames)
Below 10fps= 3% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 15fps= 3% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 20fps= 4% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 25fps= 4% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 30fps= 4% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 40fps= 5% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 50fps= 5% (time) 0% (frames)
Below 60fps= 5% (time) 0% (frames)
###Sound Options###
Hardware Acceleration= No
Sound Quality= Low
Environmental Sound= No
Sound Variety= Medium
###Video Options###
Resolution= 1920 x 1080
Refresh rate= 60 Hz
Framerate throttle= No Vsync
Specular= Yes
Shadows= Yes
Decals= Yes
Particles= Off ( <- I don't know why this is off? )
Texture Quality= High

For further information, please visit the timedemo FAQ at: http://halo.bungie.net/site/halo/features/hpcperformancefaq.html

Cortexian
March 12th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Oh yeah you're right, looks like you can't surpass the value set in the vidmode parameter. I'm pretty sure if you don't use the vidmode parameter and run the game at a standard resolution you can achieve higher frames.

Oh well, it doesn't matter at all since the game wasn't designed to function at anything over 30 FPS.

Sean Aero
March 13th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I'm pretty sure if you don't use the vidmode parameter and run the game at a standard resolution you can achieve higher frames.

Yes true, at any standard resolution the FPS are very high 500+. I was just hoping I would be able to do the same with a custom resolution since it feels like -vidmode forces vsycn, which is not really a great game experience.

=sw=warlord
March 13th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Yes true, at any standard resolution the FPS are very high 500+. I was just hoping I would be able to do the same with a custom resolution since it feels like -vidmode forces vsycn, which is not really a great game experience.
Even if your monitor had a refresh of 120Hz you still wouldn't be getting the full use out of 500FPS+ because the monitor simply won't be accounting for the extra frames.

Lateksi
March 13th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Warlord, on lower fps you can feel the latency even if you don't see it. But if you don't, that's fine.

Sean, I forced vsync off on nvidia control panel but even then it goes back to 60fps (my refresh rate) after some time. Sometimes alt-tabbing helps and it goes back to no vsync. There's no simple solution to this problem, I remember many people asking about this and never having been satisfied at the end...

Sean Aero
March 14th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Shame in that case I'll continue to play on the standard settings. Thanks for the reply guys, good to know it's not just me.
If there is anyone that read this topic and thinks easy peacy app creation solution only takes me 5 minutes to either update or create a v1.09 app.
Feel free to do so, since it's actually quite a common problem as can be read from other posts. Cheers!

Cortexian
March 14th, 2011, 03:51 AM
App would probably come out for 1.07 or 1.08 as not to break compatibility with other applications. Version changer is out there so you can use all your old applications that work on an older executable with the latest version of the game.

Sean Aero
March 14th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Uploaded a few clip test samples to youtube to test the quality I'm very satisfied

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XmE5FKanZ0 - 1080p (1920x1080)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar0SPAswE1k - 960p (1440x960) ( which youtube does not support :/ )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyleq_tG6qU - 720p (1280x720)

Sorry about the sound of the shotsfired on 1080p and 960p didn't realize that my sound settings had such an impact at that time. Discovered it after uploading.
Fixed this in the 720p clip which was recorded later.

I think I'll stick to 720p (1280x720) for ingame /recording, works best for Youtube.
Until someone finds a solutions for 1080p :eng101:

Sean Aero
October 21st, 2011, 02:32 PM
So I did some digging on this and did find there is a memory address for forcing 30FPS and switching between Vsync/No Vsync
It switches between the Vsync setting you had set on start up and the 30FPS.
However if you start up with 30FPS it will switch to Vsync by default.

Byte
Halo PC 1.09 address: 006894BA
Halo CE 1.09 address: 00624A9E

0 = Vsync/NoVsync
1 = 30FPS

Hopefully someone could help me dig a bit further to find the address that switches between Vsync and NoVsync. (if there is one)

EDIT: While I just recently suggested to use RadeonPro to set AA on Halo without affecting other apps, the same can be done for forcing No Vsync. So currently running Halo on 1080p with No Vsync thanks to RadeonPro.

{XG}Gijs007
October 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM
So I did some digging on this and did find there is a memory address for forcing 30FPS and switching between Vsync/No Vsync
It switches between the Vsync setting you had set on start up and the 30FPS.
However if you start up with 30FPS it will switch to Vsync by default.

Byte
Halo PC 1.09 address: 006894BA
Halo CE 1.09 address: 00624A9E

0 = Vsync/NoVsync
1 = 30FPS

Hopefully someone could help me dig a bit further to find the address that switches between Vsync and NoVsync. (if there is one)

EDIT: While I just recently suggested to use RadeonPro to set AA on Halo without affecting other apps, the same can be done for forcing No Vsync. So currently running Halo on 1080p with No Vsync thanks to RadeonPro.
I was about to post that about RadeonPro, all you need to do is create a profile for halo and disable vsynch in the visual and tweaks tab.

Sean Aero
October 21st, 2011, 10:55 PM
Did a test, still need to play around with the encoder for best video size/quality. However my upload speed is totally borked atm, so I can't play around too much, hope to have it resolved soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpbfWX6XL3s
(the embed is 360p, switch to 1080p for best result)

PS. Who said custom maps are dead?

Warsaw
October 22nd, 2011, 12:09 AM
Lol, those guys got fucked hardcore.

Also, H2_ZANZIBAR FTW!

t3h m00kz
October 22nd, 2011, 02:18 AM
I miss that map. So fucking much.

I'm sad two versions of it are out there and constantly causing me to get mismatches..

Sean Aero
October 24th, 2011, 05:52 AM
So here I used 2 different recording programs first being Camtasia Studio which seemed to skip some frames as demonstrated in the video it did register the MLAA and does not affect the FPS of Halo while recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lpou_mK1Bg

The other being MSI afterburner which imo looks the best so far, however no MLAA recording.
It seems a bit heavy on the videocard, but no problem for any modern high end video card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjo21vNQdqw

Again all on custom maps, it's not hard to get some games going in EU.

E: Youtube is still processing 1080p so might have to check back in a few minutes if it doesn't show up.

Amit
October 24th, 2011, 06:28 AM
The second video definitely plays smoother, but the contrast seems pretty high. Maybe it's just the map's lighting. Oh, and you should fix your FoV. That close up view is just killing me lol.

Sean Aero
October 24th, 2011, 06:39 AM
The second video definitely plays smoother, but the contrast seems pretty high. Maybe it's just the map's lighting. Oh, and you should fix your FoV. That close up view is just killing me lol.

The contrast is due to the encoding of the video, I kinda liked it that way.
I dropped OS FoV fix and HUD fix since RadeonPro would not work with OS.
I guess I could use an app like STL2.0 to compensate but preferred would be some fix that is applied from the moment you start halo 1.09 like OS does.

Amit
October 24th, 2011, 03:58 PM
So OS is the reason my Halo started launching to a black screen from Steam :(

Sean Aero
October 24th, 2011, 11:56 PM
So OS is the reason my Halo started launching to a black screen from Steam :(
Indeed!