PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft and DRM (Take 2)

Kornman00
March 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
Not only are AC2 and Settler 7 getting this fancy new DRM that requires constant internet connection but the upcoming Splinter Cell will sport it too! http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62540

Oh what a joyou- FUCKING COCK CHIMNEYS BATMAN!

I just feel this needed to be brought to light and the other Ubisoft DRM thread was locked. I mean, if PS3 single player games need the internet to work properly (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62553), why not the PC?

Jean-Luc
March 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM
I'm sure this will be locked within a couple hours but this is exactly what I was afraid of. The biggest problem here (aside from the draconian DRM) is that Ubisoft makes ridiculously good games so there will be a ton of people who will give in to temptation and pick these titles up, thus encouraging this behavior. (See also: Modern Warfare 2)

We're in for some shit folks :saddowns:

Pooky
March 1st, 2010, 11:01 AM
This is just part of the reason why I only play new games on the Xbox :|

Still love using my PC for old games, but I've given up on modern PC gaming.

flibitijibibo
March 1st, 2010, 11:11 AM
Well, ain't that some shit. 5 years waiting for a new Splinter Cell game and this is what we get in return.

I guess Mario Galaxy 2 and Other M are the only new games I want to play this year. Both Wii games. Good job, PC industry.

At least Source engine games don't require me to upgrade...

paladin
March 1st, 2010, 01:22 PM
This is just part of the reason why I only play new games on the Xbox :|

Still love using my PC for old games, but I've given up on modern PC gaming.

Pretty much all Im gonna say.

jcap
March 1st, 2010, 01:53 PM
Seriously, just fuck 'em.

If they want to push this on their PC audience, the PC audience will push back. In reality, it's more of an inconvenience for Ubisoft than us, because we will be running the cracked version (even if you legally own it) without problems, while Ubisoft is forced to deal with developing it, a bad reputation, lost sales, and some harsh technical support scenarios.

In the end, the PC crowd will get what they want, and it won't come at our expense. Unfortunately, Ubisoft seems to have leads who are less intelligent than a 2 year old, so they don't understand this, but whatever makes them happy.......I guess........

Kornman00
March 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM
You know I think they'd see better results with actually paying off software crackers from cracking their crack.

I know, crazy right?

Limited
March 1st, 2010, 02:16 PM
Wow, this sucks. Like flibit said, people been waiting ages for Conviction, now they have hindered in with this horrific DRM.

If it was just, one game and they'd see how it works okay, but as they've got plans for alot of game, it seems to becoming the norm, even though a title has not shipped with it yet.

AC2 is out this week isnt it?

Cojafoji
March 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
This is gay. Super super gay.

jcap
March 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
Also, I just want to add another thing:

I don't know what the hell is going through the empty heads of Ubisoft. Their recent lineup of PC release titles is to help them reach their goal of gaining a bigger place in the PC marketshare. How the fucking hell do they think that this DRM is going to assist them? Hell, what bothers me most isn't even the DRM, since that is able to be circumvented even with a legal copy. What disturbs me most is the PRICING of their games. For example, Assassin's Creed 2 on the PC is retailing for $60. $60 for a fucking CRIPPLED and SINGLEPLAYER game on the PC!?

WHAT THE FUCK

Limited
March 1st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Your getting ripped off Jcap, its even $40 in UK.

Dwood
March 1st, 2010, 02:47 PM
Ubisoft's target crowd doesn't have 60 smackers to lay down on a crippled piece of gaming software.

Limited
March 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM
I'd like to note, that price is cut down, nearly 50%, but I have no idea why (its like it for nearly all shops).

=sw=warlord
March 1st, 2010, 02:54 PM
Your getting ripped off Jcap, its even $40 in UK.
your forgetting exchance rates, $60 = just over £40.

Limited
March 1st, 2010, 02:59 PM
your forgetting exchange rates, $60 = just over £40.
No, I used current up to date exchange rates. Its £29.99 in Game.co.uk

flibitijibibo
March 1st, 2010, 05:09 PM
The $60 tag has to be a copycat of MW2. It just has to be.

Also, interesting bit with the UK sales there... think there's a reason? (Other than what we'd like it to be)

Limited
March 1st, 2010, 05:18 PM
No idea, its the same in the big major stores so it wasnt just a one off:
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=22404
http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/assassins-creed-2/10042545.html
http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/games/platforms/pc/assassins-creed-2/10042545.html
http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games/Assassins-Creed-II/~r343257/ (http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games/Assassins-Creed-II/%7Er343257/)
http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/9606606/Assassin-Creed-II/Product.html

Whats funny, L4D2 is only £1 less...lol

I tell you what, alot of PC games coming out (Bad Company 2, Metro 2033, Supreme Commander 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, Just Cause 2, Dead Rising 2, Max Payne 3, Fallout New Vegas, Crysis 2) are around the £30 ($44) mark. Holy shit my bank balance is going to drop with all those cheap pre-orders.

Even Walmart (Asda) is selling it for $44, US its $60.

Varmint260
March 1st, 2010, 06:58 PM
if PS3 single player games need the internet to work properly, why not the PC?

Trust me, I'd be the first to defend my precious PS3 but this is absolutely ridiculous (and hilarious). I'm not entirely sure how they managed to do it. Not all my PS3 games are fucked for the moment; every single one of them normally works just fine without the internet connected but somehow they managed to fuck up the PSN so that it caused this problem the last time I tried to sign in. Caused the date/time to set to Dec 31st 1999 (I think it's scared of Y2K) and it forked up a couple of my games (though not every single one like the articles recently have said).

Here's one for y'all to laugh at; Sony says "We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system." Holy fucking hell, how'd they manage to screw up a fucking clock?

Anyhow, back to the subject at hand... I have an internet connection that already has a smaller bandwidth cap than I'd like and now I'll have to stay connected to the internet at all times to play games that shouldn't require it? Fuck Ubisoft.

sdavis117
March 1st, 2010, 07:01 PM
I bet the PS3 issue has to do with some games being programmed so that people can't just play them before the release date, and since I don't know of any games released before December 1999, well...

Donut
March 1st, 2010, 07:13 PM
ubisoft too? god damnit, i loved you ubisoft

Varmint260
March 1st, 2010, 07:15 PM
I think it had more to do with trophy-enabled games as many of my games would only say "couldn't install trophies; your game will not exit."

In other news, I actually bothered to go try it and PSN is back up and working normally, at least for me. Still hilarious that a small bug in the freakin' system clock managed to fuck up PSN for a couple days though!

EDIT: And here's another amusing bit; the internal clock reads April 27th, 2020 right now.

And how could the problem be leap years, anyways? Last time I checked, we're about two years away from one.

jcap
March 1st, 2010, 07:18 PM
Here's one for y'all to laugh at; Sony says "We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system." Holy fucking hell, how'd they manage to screw up a fucking clock?
I'm willing to bet anything the bug has to do with leap years. Microsoft had a problem with their Zune OS last year, but that was switching over to the new year because of some 365+1 problem. Sony's problem is probably something they broke in one of the more recent software updated by accident, which is preventing the roll over into March.

Warsaw
March 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM
Ironic that new 360 games are $50 and this new PC game is $60. lul, I say.

Limited
March 1st, 2010, 08:18 PM
The issue with PSN I feel, is combination of Heavy Rain + Fifa UT crashing service, then again could be some thing as hilarious as leap year issue :D

LinkandKvel
March 2nd, 2010, 07:53 AM
Ironic that new 360 games are $50 and this new PC game is $60. lul, I say.

uh no.

Amit
March 2nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
uh no.

Yeah. They're the same price now.

jcap
March 2nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah. They're the same price now.
Where the hell are you shopping?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Bad+Company+2&x=0&y=0
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=Bad+Company+2&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=0&Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=Bad%20Company%202

flibitijibibo
March 2nd, 2010, 03:17 PM
Old, but still makes sense:
pLC_zZ5fqFk
Hey, Ubi: watch this over and over again until it settles.

Warsaw
March 2nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Where the hell are you shopping?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Bad+Company+2&x=0&y=0
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=Bad+Company+2&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=0&Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=Bad%20Company%202

Microsoft sent out a mandate saying that new 360 games are supposed to be sold at $50 a piece. If games aren't being sold at that price, then you can trust that the retailer is making $10 more than has been normal. Article was on Tom's a couple weeks ago.

LinkandKvel
March 2nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Microsoft sent out a mandate saying that new 360 games are supposed to be sold at $50 a piece. If games aren't being sold at that price, then you can trust that the retailer is making $10 more than has been normal. Article was on Tom's a couple weeks ago.

ummm new 360 games has been sold at a $60 price point since console launch. If that article was legit I'm pretty sure microsoft could sue for the company not abiding by their contract.

n00b1n8R
March 2nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
Assassin's Creed 2 on the PC is retailing for $60. $60 for a fucking CRIPPLED and SINGLEPLAYER game on the PC!?

WHAT THE FUCK
Look at you, look how mad you're getting over a game which is priced the same as 2 year olds over here.

flibitijibibo
March 2nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
At least when you buy a 2 year old, you can actually make use of it on your own terms. :downs:

Edit: WHY IS AC2 FUCKING FOURTH ON THE TOP STEAM SELLERS?

LinkandKvel
March 2nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
At least when you buy a 2 year old, you can actually make use of it on your own terms. :downs:

Edit: WHY IS AC2 FUCKING FOURTH ON THE TOP STEAM SELLERS?

.........cuz most people who have steam has a internet connection i think.

Bodzilla
March 2nd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Old, but still makes sense:
pLC_zZ5fqFk
Hey, Ubi: watch this over and over again until it settles.
i'm pretty sure gabe is a god.

rossmum
March 2nd, 2010, 07:50 PM
.........cuz most people who have steam has a internet connection i think.
Yeah, except some of us have really bad connections which drop out all the time! :ugh:

LinkandKvel
March 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Yeah, except some of us have really bad connections which drop out all the time! :ugh:

well get a new connection

Warsaw
March 2nd, 2010, 08:00 PM
That is quite possibly one of the worst responses I've seen...I'm not even going to elaborate because anybody with a brain can see why.

Also, Steam games can typically run in Offline mode...but not AC2! Nope, gotta be connected. So even though Steam users have a connection, they are also usually pretty sure of being able to play offline when that connection fails.

flibitijibibo
March 2nd, 2010, 08:24 PM
Oh, my, god.

:frogout2:

LinkandKvel
March 2nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Oh, my, god.

:frogout2:

personally I see if your paying for a connection that constantly drops out why even have the service? Im pretty sure your paying the bill for full time use not part-time. and if it doesn't drop out THAT much then stop exaggerating.

flibitijibibo
March 2nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
I... I...
http://img.club.pchome.net/upload/club/other/2009/12/18/pics_zitengchen_1261140293.jpg
Please, someone explain this to him.

paladin
March 2nd, 2010, 08:53 PM
personally I see if your paying for a connection that constantly drops out why even have the service? Im pretty sure your paying the bill for full time use not part-time. and if it doesn't drop out THAT much then stop exaggerating.

teh lag
March 2nd, 2010, 09:14 PM
Guys, promise me that I won't have a mess waiting for me in this thread when I wake up tomorrow morning.

rossmum
March 2nd, 2010, 09:22 PM
get a new brain holy fuck you're an idiot

i live in australia, i fucking can't get a better connection you retard

Guys, promise me that I won't have a mess waiting for me in this thread when I wake up tomorrow morning.
welp sorry

Warsaw
March 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM

Because someone asked me to...

Better connections are not always available. Take me, for example. I can either pay $30/mo. for a 7Mb/s connection that occasionally drops out or I can pay $65/mo. for a connection that is intangibly faster but can get clogged by other users' data streams and may still drop out (read: cable). Now, I have it good compared to some people (read: Australia). Some people have only one option for high speed internet and because those ISPs know it, they are disinclined to provide more reliable service for lack of competition. Dial-up and satellite internet are alternatives, but the operative words in the last sentence were "high speed internet"; if, as you said, the connection is shitty and you are paying for a full-time connection, why pay for it at all? Thus, one option available.

Fake E: Ninja'd by Ross.

rossmum
March 2nd, 2010, 09:24 PM
this is literally the only isp in the area so forgive me if i don't fork out a few thousand to move somewhere else just so i can get a connection that only drops out two times a day instead of five

Warsaw
March 2nd, 2010, 09:30 PM
Good connections are still hard to come by, even here. They always drop at the least convenient time.

I just noticed the new addition to your sig...nice.

rossmum
March 2nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
it's been there since before the olympics bro

Warsaw
March 2nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
:saddowns:

LinkandKvel
March 3rd, 2010, 12:42 AM
get a new brain holy fuck you're an idiot

i live in australia, i fucking can't get a better connection you retard

welp sorry

Boo fucking whoo. You bitch about your connection so much the whole forum knows yours is shitty. If you can't do anything about it stop complaining as if something'll change, jesus thats ALL you do. Now to no longer sway from the subject im done arguing. Continue on.

You guys knew this was gonna happen. Not sure why there's a new thread for it.

Timo
March 3rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
Boo fucking whoo. You bitch about your connection so much the whole forum knows yours is shitty. If you can't do anything about it stop complaining as if something'll change, jesus thats ALL you do. Now to no longer sway from the subject im done arguing. Continue on.

His post was completely relevant to the topic at hand, calm the fuck down.

e: I wish the PC gaming community was about to stand up against something like this. Instead they're just going to work ridiculously hard at cracking it. How can they not realise that they're fueling their own demise?

Bodzilla
March 3rd, 2010, 01:00 AM
oh god the urge to flame you into oblivion is just... i...

omfg.

could you please just quit to forums again, it was better when it was just paladins stupid that we had to combat, but your like him v2

just please go away,

>_____<

paladin
March 3rd, 2010, 01:23 AM
oh god the urge to flame you into oblivion is just... i...

omfg.

could you please just quit to forums again, it was better when it was just paladins stupid that we had to combat, but your like him v2

just please go away,

>_____<

FUCK YOU

rossmum
March 3rd, 2010, 01:38 AM

ok keep crying please it's really funny

for the benefit of the other members, drama queen here just shot me a pm saying how 'nobody cares' that i think he's a shitposter. am i the only one who sees the irony in sending someone a pm to tell them you don't care about something?

His post was completely relevant to the topic at hand, calm the fuck down.

e: I wish the PC gaming community was about to stand up against something like this. Instead they're just going to work ridiculously hard at cracking it. How can they not realise that they're fueling their own demise?
the pc gaming community deserves everything it gets. as much as they fancy themselves as superior, the overwhelming majority are in fact worse than the contards and the only times they do actually get up and object to something, they'll do one of three things:

a) object to something good, because we all know progress is the devil
b) object to the wrong person: see bitching at iw when they were forced to cater to activision's (the new spawn of satan) every whim
c) start massively retarded raids. pyong kawaguchi, you're a fucking moron.

so basically fuck everybody

also timo your sig right now is the two pommy kids wearing what i can only assume is their dad's/brother's kit, it kinda owns

LinkandKvel
March 3rd, 2010, 01:55 AM
ok keep crying please it's really funny

for the benefit of the other members, drama queen here just shot me a pm saying how 'nobody cares' that i think he's a shitposter. am i the only one who sees the irony in sending someone a pm to tell them you don't care about something?

It's apparent you want the thread locked after this post. I already got neg. rep oh well. Take it to PM'S

the pc gaming community deserves everything it gets. as much as they fancy themselves as superior, the overwhelming majority are in fact worse than the contards and the only times they do actually get up and object to something, they'll do one of three things:

a) object to something good, because we all know progress is the devil
b) object to the wrong person: see bitching at iw when they were forced to cater to activision's (the new spawn of satan) every whim
c) start massively retarded raids. pyong kawaguchi, you're a fucking moron.

so basically fuck everybody

also timo your sig right now is the two pommy kids wearing what i can only assume is their dad's/brother's kit, it kinda ownsCan there ever be a discussion without insults? We're sorry your the most smartest person on the forums and anybody who disagrees with you is either stupid or idiotic. MAN, what were we thinking stating our own opinion in a discussion. Crazy talk.

rossmum
March 3rd, 2010, 03:29 AM
there could be one if you didn't make such incredibly stupid statements and then get all whiny and defensive (as usual) when this gets pointed out

paladin
March 3rd, 2010, 03:30 AM
Can there ever be a discussion without insults? We're sorry your the most smartest person on the forums and anybody who disagrees with you is either stupid or idiotic. MAN, what were we thinking stating our own opinion in a discussion. Crazy talk.

Its impossible for arrogance to argue without insulting its opposition, so I dont think so.

there could be one if you didn't make such incredibly stupid statements and then get all whiny and defensive (as usual) when this gets pointed out

I could say the same thing about everyone of these thread. Only to put it in context for you: The stupid statement (your arguments against DMR) and how you get all whining and defensive when we point out how 'stupid' it (arguments against DMR) is.

Also, you just proved my first statement to the letter; even punctuation.

LinkandKvel
March 3rd, 2010, 03:34 AM

I guess a suggestion to get a new connection is stupid eh? LOL IM THE WHINY ONE??? lol im definitely done. This argument is stupid which you seem to want to carry on.

Timo
March 3rd, 2010, 03:37 AM
I guess a suggestion to get a new connection is stupid eh? LOL IM THE WHINY ONE??? lol im definitely done. This argument is stupid which you seem to want to carry on.

Saying "get a new connection is one thing", but then after being told he can't, you go on to say that everybody already knows it so stop bitching about it. Why are you trying to start shit?

paladin
March 3rd, 2010, 03:38 AM
let's see how many more days he makes it before he finally ragequits (again) in spectacular fashion (again)

alternately, just ban him for being a horrible shitposting faggot

Look how cool this kid is!

Infact, lets ban you for being and even bigger horrible shitposting faggot!

rossmum
March 3rd, 2010, 03:39 AM
because he needs to feel like a man since he looks like he's twelve years old

i love red cars woooo

e/f;b how's that glass house working out for you there paladin?

p0lar_bear
March 3rd, 2010, 03:40 AM
You two three, knock it off. I'm not in the mood for horseshit.

@ Link: he, n00bin8r, and Bodzilla have full right to bitch about their internet due in part to shitty, uneducated politicians trying to "protect the children" from the "horrors" of the internets, ESPECIALLY when someone (you) tells them to just "get a better connection." And by your logic, since "everyone" knows that their internet sucks and that they should stop bitching about it, shouldn't you have known this and not have taken a potshot at them with your first remark?

paladin
March 3rd, 2010, 03:41 AM
You two, knock it off. I'm not in the mood for horseshit.

@ Link: he, n00bin8r, and Bodzilla have full right to bitch about their internet due in part to shitty, uneducated politicians trying to "protect the children" from the "horrors" of the internets, ESPECIALLY when someone (you) tells them to just "get a better connection." And by your logic, since "everyone" knows that their internet sucks and that they should stop bitching about it, shouldn't you have known this and not have taken a potshot at them with your first remark?

If they have full right to bitch about their connection, why cant him or me have full right to bitch about their bitching?

LinkandKvel
Saying "get a new connection is one thing", but then after being told he can't, you go on to say that everybody already knows it so stop bitching about it. Why are you trying to start shit?Im the one trying to start shit when he clearly called me a idiot and retard before I even said anything insulting? Ok. Lol this forum is such a popularity contest.

As if i'm supposed to know his internet situation over there. He could have answered it without the meaningless flame/insults. I always see him complaining about that internet. Seriously complaining doesn't help anybody so why KEEP letting us know your situation? What is that going to solve? Nobody likes a "consistent bitcher"

rossmum
Look how cool this kid is!

Infact, lets ban you for being and even bigger horrible shitposting faggot!
how's the glass house working out for you

paladin
March 3rd, 2010, 03:42 AM
how's the glass house working out for you

Just took a shit, you should have taken a picture.

rossmum
March 3rd, 2010, 03:43 AM
linkandkvel maybe if you're that sensitive about internet arguments you should shut the fuck up and stop propagating them

on the other hand i love this shit, which is exactly why i keep stirring you kids up. it's so easy it's not even funny

paladin
March 3rd, 2010, 03:45 AM
http://mindfulmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/470px-japanese_road_sign_two-way_trafficsvg.png

rossmum
March 3rd, 2010, 03:47 AM
i, too, wish i was witty enough to post images alone

Timo
I would close this thread, but

paladin
I guess you dont get the metaphor, V:iamafag:V your loss

p0lar_bear
March 3rd, 2010, 03:51 AM
All of you shut the hell up, goddamn.

Handing out the red shortly. All of you can QQ about it together over some maxi pads.

EDIT: Expect this trend from now on: if a thread ends in a shitfest, EVERYBODY who took part in fueling it will receive infractions instead of just locking the thread with words of disgust and hanging my head in disappointment.