PDA

View Full Version : Remove orange box section and merge it with source.

Rook
March 2nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
???

teh lag
March 2nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
do this and while you're at it merge odst with h3\

then you can use the open spaces (we all know how forum sections are evil and the fewer you have the better) to add in the debate and gaming general sections!!! or even halo general for discussion of halo reach and such!!!

flibitijibibo
March 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
If it were me:
- All Source threads get moved to a Source section. (Section as in "Halo Universe" for example)
- Source/GMod Merges with HL2:E2, makes "Source General/Garry's Mod". There's really no point in splitting all of the HL2 games up like they are now, even with the different engine versions (as if it's difficult to specify versions anyway).

Edit: Just thought of something for this: Maybe require thread tags for the separate games? (i.e. [L4D2], [HL2], [GMOD])

- TF2/Portal on front page, no need for Orange Box section at this point.

Crysis/Unreal can stay in gaming general, but they don't seem to have enough games/activity to warrant the above. (Even with things like CE3/UDK)

sdavis117
March 2nd, 2010, 03:58 PM
Modacity Oriented
-News
-Suggestions
-Podacity
-Community Discussion

General Discussion
-Off-Topic
--Serious Discussion
-Tech Talk
--General Game Discussion

Modding and Stuff
-The Studio
-Halo PC/CE
--H2Vista
-Unreal
-Source
-Other Game Engines
-Tutorials

flibitijibibo
March 2nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
That's... really cramped. Where are the Halo 3/ODST sections? TF2/Portal? Crysis would be nice when 2 comes out as well...
Game general is a bit much... I see serious discussion found its way in there... is H2Vista in the Halo PC section?
Tutorials outside of their specific sections is also a bit vague.

jcap
March 2nd, 2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I want to do this too. Thanks for reminding me again.

teh lag
March 2nd, 2010, 04:23 PM
for now let's just merge sections, worry about creating new ones after or it'll never get done.

p.s. MY LAYOUT IDEA

Modacity
-News
-Suggestions
-Podacity
-Community Discussion

General Discussion
-Off-Topic
-The Arena
-Tech Talk
-The Studio
--Studio Tutorials

Gaming Discussion
-Gaming General
-Halo General
-H1 PC/CE/Xbox Modding/Discussion
--Releases
-H2 Vista/Xbox Modding/Discussion
--Releases
-Source Modding/Discussion
--Releases
-Crysis Modding/Discussion [poss. move to general due to inactivity]
--Releases
-Unreal Modding/Discussion [poss. move to general due to inactivity]
--Releases

jcap
March 2nd, 2010, 04:49 PM
Well, this sucks.

I now remember why I didn't do this. I refuse to just merge the forums. If we do that, we create a mess of threads, especially with the Open Box section. I want to apply thread prefixes to ALL threads, then merge them. Sounds all good, except you can only do one thread at a time. Unless there is a plugin developed to fix this or we get some volunteers to go through this process for about 1000 threads, we can't do anything. :(

teh lag
March 2nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
I don't even see the option to add prefixes to threads anymore...?

We never even had prefixes properly working anyhow - we only had ones set up for CE releases IIRC. Even The Studio doesn't have real prefixes; just [something] in each thread title. It would take at MOST a few hours to go through all those sections just renaming threads, especially since there's only one prefix involved per section.

Roostervier
March 2nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
might as well ditch podacity on its own and merge it with community discussion

flibitijibibo
March 2nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
I'll volunteer. It's the week before spring break, I don't have shit to do.

Rook
March 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
Well, this sucks.

I now remember why I didn't do this. I refuse to just merge the forums. If we do that, we create a mess of threads, especially with the Open Box section. I want to apply thread prefixes to ALL threads, then merge them. Sounds all good, except you can only do one thread at a time. Unless there is a plugin developed to fix this or we get some volunteers to go through this process for about 1000 threads, we can't do anything. :(
Instead of ripping the threads out of Orange box just move them over as sub sections for now?

-Source section
-----HL2
-----TF2
-----Portal

and as for portal (Threads: 17) tag those manually and put them in the general source section?

e- looking at the hl2 section there is only 24 threads or so there too, shouldn't be hard to tag. You have several moderators--put them to work. :-3

Dwood
March 2nd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Let everyone take turns in tagging them when they can?

Timo
March 2nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
Pretty sure I suggested this twice while I was a mod :F

TheGhost
March 2nd, 2010, 10:08 PM
Let's merge every forum into one giant orgy forum.

E: Or we can just have "Off Topic" and "On Topic".

Con
March 3rd, 2010, 09:51 AM
I like the way you think.

Sel
March 3rd, 2010, 10:08 PM
suggested this like

fucking well over a year ago

fuck this site and it's shitty moderation

jcap
March 5th, 2010, 11:48 PM
:U