PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With My Weapons

Ganryu666
March 3rd, 2010, 11:47 PM
Hey guys, new to the forums, but not new to modding and mapping. I need a bit of help, I am trying to make a variant of the Halo 1 assault rifle so that the ammo meter on it changes colors depending on the ammo count (like the one on that Snow Grove map by CMT). Problem is, I have tried several things, and I either get nothing happening, or I get an error when compiling the map or when testing the map. I am not releasing any maps atm because I still need to edit some things with my computer (that, and Vista is a pain with actually showing my maps after creation >.> ). So, if anyone has a few helpful tips, or has a tag I can use for my weapon, that would be much appreciated.:haw:

kid908
March 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM
change the bitmap colour for the numbers.

DarkHalo003
March 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM
change the bitmap colour for the numbers.
If you are curious on how to do this, then open Guerilla (assuming you have HEK) and go to where the Assault Rifle Weapon tag is located. Find the GBX model and FP model slots in the weapon tag. In each of these tags:

1.) Go down to the bottom where there is a drop down box with different titles of shaders. Find Numbers.

2.) Open the Numbers shader and find the point where it says "numeric counter limit."

3.) Change the number in the box to whatever number you want your AR to be.

t3h m00kz
March 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
The tags have been released, I'm sure you can just look through them and figure out how they did it.

Ganryu666
March 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM
@t3h m00kz:
umm...I already tried looking for the tags, and I can't find them on halomaps.org at all (and trust me, I have literally done a complete search of the weapon tags there), but thanks for assuring me that they are released outside of maps (I think)

@kid908:
thanks for telling me, but that isn't too specific for me since I don't know how to mod the bitmaps properly (first attempt didn't go so well >.> )

@DarkHalo003:
I don't think that's what I meant...what I meant was that I want the ammo meter to CHANGE COLORS. If anyone has played the Snow Grove map by CMT, then you should know what I mean by a color-changing ammo meter for the assault rifle. Thanks for the tip, though, helped me out a lot for fixing the numbers!

P.S. to all:
what I meant was the ENTIRE meter, not just the numbers, check the Snow Grove map by CMT for a better reference ^_^

t3h m00kz
March 6th, 2010, 12:56 AM
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=30628

Also, google HaloCEripper.

Hunter
March 6th, 2010, 07:42 AM
NO, don't good HaloCEripper. Scum bags website, needs hacking or something and bringing down.

t3h m00kz
March 6th, 2010, 02:50 PM
How about we let OP decide that instead of promoting an illegal action against somebody who doesn't share your opinion?

teh lag
March 6th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hey guys, new to the forums, but not new to modding and mapping. I need a bit of help, I am trying to make a variant of the Halo 1 assault rifle so that the ammo meter on it changes colors depending on the ammo count (like the one on that Snow Grove map by CMT). Problem is, I have tried several things, and I either get nothing happening, or I get an error when compiling the map or when testing the map. I am not releasing any maps atm because I still need to edit some things with my computer (that, and Vista is a pain with actually showing my maps after creation >.> ). So, if anyone has a few helpful tips, or has a tag I can use for my weapon, that would be much appreciated.:haw:

It's actually quite easy to do.

1) Clone the ammo counter geometry once for every color you want it to change to.
2) Apply a different set of shaders to each set of geometry referencing the differently-colored bitmaps.
3) Give each set of geometry its own node (frame display-red, frame display-blue, etc)
4) Make a first-person ammunition.jmo animation for the weapon's FP.
-Ammunition animations are 1+(mag size) frames long - for a weapon that holds 60 rounds, you make it 61 rounds long.
-Frame 0 is the "default" position - i.e. how your model looks when it is exported.
-Each subsequent frame represents (# of loaded rounds)-1. Frame 1 is empty, frame 2 is 1 round, frame 3 is 2 rounds, etc.

It's a bit more complicated in 3p since you have to set up functions for it.
1) Set up nodes/geometry/shaders for 3p as in FP.
2) Set one of the export-to functions in the weapon tag to read from weapon ammunition loaded. (It helps to understand how CE functions work - look at the AR for reference but if you don't know what you're doing you'll need to figure that out on your own first).
3) Create an overlay animation (name doesn't matter) for the weapon's 3p. Like the FP overlay, it should count UP from the number of rounds loaded (though I'm not sure if it would start counting from frame 0 or 1).
4) In the function-controlled animations section of the 3p animation tag, add that overlay animation to be frame-controlled by the ammunition function in the weapon.

Ganryu666
March 8th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I've used HaloCEripper before out of curiousity, didn't like it when I first tried it (mind you, this was a few years ago, before I was really into modding) and I will never use it again.

As for teh lag, thanks for the info, but that sounds like a 3d modeling program is needed for the 3p model/animations, and sadly my comp is a bit retarded and won't let me use any 3d model programs, so I'm SOL on that.

In any case, a link to the tag is also welcome (since I can't do any 3d things >.> ), so if anyone has that, or a simpler way of doing the ammo meter's color-change, that would be more helpful.

OK, someone sent me an email a few minutes prior to this edit-post, and they gave me a link to a map full of their tags, and now I can continue my work on my weapons. It is also sad to hear that CMT quit making maps (I liked their maps -_- ). So, thanks for the help everyone, but my slowness to knowing of CMT's demise and release of their tags has solved my problem (and made me a little sad). Thank you all for the help, and I will see if these tags help me out. I also have other weapon ideas that I am working on, so I won't delete this thread. I will, however, keep it up in case I need help with any other weapons. In the meantime, feel free to post some ideas in here that I MIGHT be able to help with. I may not be able to model (damn computer >.> ), but I can make a pretty good weapon tag with my resources!

t3h m00kz
March 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM
HaloCEripper isn't a program, it's a person who runs a website where you can download CMT's tags.

I've also linked you to a Halomaps post where you can download the tags.

Ganryu666
March 9th, 2010, 09:28 PM
about HaloCEripper: huh...then I guess that was someone trying to hack my comp with a faulty program then...damn nerds at school....
about the tags: I know, that's why I said I found my desired tags. I set it up for this thread so that if I got any updates in here, I would get a response in my email. So thanks for those tags.