PDA

View Full Version : access denied for downloading maps?!

spicymchaggis
March 13th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I was playing halo CE on my windows xp a few months ago and it worked fine. Recently I got a Windows 7, and got Halo CE and it runs well too. But when I try to extract maps without confirmation into my maps folder it says that access is denied. I also noticed that the folder for CE is in program files (x86) instead of the normal program files folder. Any advice on what to do?

Dwood
March 13th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Are you running as administrator?

spicymchaggis
March 13th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Yeah i am actually.

sevlag
March 13th, 2010, 08:03 PM
the thing with Win 7 and vista is that even if you run as admin it sometimes picks folders where you CANNOT extract directly to them, instead what you can do is this, two options, one restores the ability to extract to the maps folder, the other is lengthy (only by an extra step or 2) but still allows you to drag drop the maps provided you are an admin :|

to be able to extract to the map folder in your Custom ED folder follow these steps (should)

*locate the maps folder in your custom edition folder and right click
*click "properites" and then hit the security tab
* locate your username (NOT THE ADMIN, YOU AS A USER) and click off the Read/write access permission if its not checked off
* or click "all access"
*apply changes
*enjoy being able to extract to the maps folder once again

Hunter
March 13th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I had that problem when I had Windows 7.. even though I was Admin. Extract them to desktop or something then drag them into the folder. (Pain in the ass I know).

spicymchaggis
March 13th, 2010, 10:40 PM
k ill give that a try

sleepy1212
March 13th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I had that problem when I had Windows 7.. even though I was Admin. Extract them to desktop or something then drag them into the folder. (Pain in the ass I know).
i do this all the time but i have a shortcut to it, and data + tags on my desktop so it's not so bad

sevlag
March 14th, 2010, 09:47 AM
i do this all the time but i have a shortcut to it, and data + tags on my desktop so it's not so bad

thats sorta a bad idea, i did that and for some reason my tags and maps i compile end up in a freaky alternate demension style folders so i had to make a shortcut to THOSE folders, well thank god for the stargate right?

sleepy1212
March 14th, 2010, 10:42 AM
thats sorta a bad idea, i did that and for some reason my tags and maps i compile end up in a freaky alternate demension style folders so i had to make a shortcut to THOSE folders, well thank god for the stargate right?
wow lol, never had that happen

spicymchaggis
March 14th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I got the map file into the folder but now CE is saying i need admin priviledges to download the required patch. How can I do that?

spicymchaggis
March 14th, 2010, 04:58 PM
ah i figured it out you just have to run it as administrator. thanks for the help guys my problems are solved.

Spartan094
March 14th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Um no. It's better if you have UAC off. It will do this. Better then running it as administrator.

chrisk123999
March 15th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Why would you turn UAC off? Just change the security settings of the maps folder.

ShadowSpartan
March 15th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Why would you turn UAC off? Just change the security settings of the maps folder.
Because UAC is a nuisance. One of the first things I do when I reinstall Vista/W7 is turn it off.

chrisk123999
March 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Didn't we go over this once before?

ShadowSpartan
March 15th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I don't recall, but even if we have, that doesn't change my statement. I stand by what I said about UAC.

chrisk123999
March 17th, 2010, 09:41 PM
ShadowSpartan, you -rep for the stupidest reasons.

bobsam
March 19th, 2010, 11:20 AM
That's simple run CE as Admin.
EDIT: I DIDN'T REALIZE THERE IS A SECOND PAGE!