PDA

View Full Version : Linking stuff to the parent node?

Joe_King
March 13th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I'm trying to export a biped with bluestreak, but I keep getting "there is no geometry to export" message, I've gathered that I need to link all the geometry to the parent node.
My question is, how do I do this?
Im using 3ds max 2010 btw.

t3h m00kz
March 13th, 2010, 10:09 PM
You have to use hierarchy, in other words you need to do parent/child stuff. Press H to see your hierarchy, and the link tool should be on the top left on the toolbar. I don't know which specific bone you have to link the model to, I haven't done too much biped stuff.

Joe_King
March 13th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I think I did it. When I try to export it now, I get a "MAXscript rollout handler exception --no "get" function for undefined"

t3h m00kz
March 13th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'm not familiar with that one, but I'm going to take a wild guess here.

Did you apply a multimaterial properly?

Joe_King
March 13th, 2010, 11:17 PM
When the message comes up, the script opens and this is highlighted "append face_shader_index ((findItem geom_materials geometry_objects[g].material[face_matID[f]]) - 1)"
And no... when I got the model, there was already a material assigned to it. But it isnt a multimaterial. How can I make a multimaterial?

t3h m00kz
March 14th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I'm no pro on them, but I'll help how I can. Press M to bring up materials, click where it says "Standard," then select multi/sub-object. This will turn it into a "Multi-material," which is basically multiple materials/textures in one, it's how the Halo handles textures and materials applied to models. Assuming you're only going to use one, just delete all but one sub-material and set the last remaining sub-material to the texture you're going to want to use. Apply the material to your model, then you need to select all of the faces of your model and assign them material number 1, 1 being the first (and only) submaterial in the multimaterial.

You're going to want to name the sub-material (Which will be "01 - Default" by default) the name of the shader you're going to want to use, assuming you've already run your bitmaps through Tool and made a shader out of them. If you haven't, you can just do it later, which is what I usually do.

Joe_King
March 14th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Uh, I think this will be my last question. I'm an absolute nub in 3ds max atm. How do I select all of the faces in the model? :/

Con
March 14th, 2010, 12:56 AM
If you're in face editing mode you can just go Ctrl+A to select them all.