PDA

View Full Version : Patch cable or Crossover cable?

FRain
April 28th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I've been planning to go to a friend's birthday party for a few weeks, and he asked me to bring my Xbox. He has his own and wanted to do a game of System Link.

However, I'm not entirely sure a simple Patch cable will work, and that's the ONLY thing I have.

My question is:

If it works for XBL, why wouldn't it work for SL?

dg
April 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM
They are different cables for a reason. A crossover cable allows you to link and send/receive data to another computer directly. This is good for 1v1 situations, but not for general connection to a router.

A patch cord (Cat 5e or whatever you have) is what connects to a router. The router then takes in the data and "funnels" it to another computer. In order for this to work 1v1 you need two patch cords and a router. Although if you had a bigger LAN, then the router is much better because you can connect a large amount than one.

~dg945~

FRain
April 28th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Ah, I see.

I cannot directly attach, but I can if I run it through a router first?

You have until 2:30 PST to answer this:

What is a router?

Arris TM402P

Airlink Mimo XR

Which should I bring?

TheGhost
April 28th, 2007, 05:07 PM
If you have a crossover cable, bring that. You can connect the crossover cable directly between the two XBoxes.

Otherwise, bring the Airlink Mimo XR and two ethernet cables (cat5, same thing as patch cables?). Plug the two cables into slots 1 and 2 in the router and the other ends into the two XBoxes. Turn on the router and you should be good to go.

dg
April 28th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Ghost has got you covered.

And just as a suggestion, you might not want to give people "deadlines" on when they respond by. They do it at their discretion and you can't help that. :-)

~dg945~

BobtheGreatII
April 28th, 2007, 05:13 PM
^Yea, but it sounded like he needed help by that time.