PDA

View Full Version : Bad Maps for Bad Games

Inferno
April 10th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Is it possible to re-enable falling damage in halo 2? I kind of need to.

http://codebrainshideout.net/inferno/images/yoyorastisland.png

Resinball
April 11th, 2010, 01:44 AM
What about a death trigger plane just below the water?

Not 100% sure but I'd guess the fall damage is linked to the biped itself which cannot be edited, as far as I know, because it is in the shared.map file.

flibitijibibo
April 11th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Will the $20 go towards fixing the name of the map? :downs:

t3h m00kz
April 11th, 2010, 01:56 AM
oh DAAAAAAAAMN

EX12693
April 11th, 2010, 02:13 AM
You win my good sir. Now if only I could +rep...

Inferno
April 11th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I need to build the shader files but for the moment I need to get the falling damage re-enabled and then light the interiors.

After that she be ready for shading and testing. :D

ShadowSpartan
April 11th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I need to build the shader files but for the moment I need to get the falling damage re-enabled
I don't think you can enable it because the actual biped tag is inside the shared map. Every map that is compiled uses the shared map tags for the majority of it's tags in order to reduce map size.

flibitijibibo
April 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM
If my memory of H2X is correct, ShadowSpartan is correct. bipd was one of the tags you had to make independent in the editor (DotHalo I think? Oh Christ I feel olde) before any of the changes actually mattered.

If not that, I definitely know textures required independence from shared. That's probably the only thing I ever learned when I modded on the Xbox (other than like, UnleashX menus...).

Also! You didn't address my question. :3

ShadowSpartan
April 11th, 2010, 11:42 AM
If my memory of H2X is correct, ShadowSpartan is correct. IIrc, bipd was one of the tags you have to make independent in the editor (DotHalo I think? Oh Christ I feel olde) before any of the changes actually mattered.
In H2X, every tag was compiled into the map files, but the 'raw data' for like bitmap and sound tags were contained in one of the shared maps (shared, spshared, mainmenu). For H2V, they made the entire tag be in the shared map files. So you cannot edit, for instance, a biped tag in a particular H2V map like you could for H2X.

Inferno
April 11th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Can I not change the biped reference in the globals and then tell it to compile a custom biped instead of the standard ones?

ShadowSpartan
April 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Can I not change the biped reference in the globals and then tell it to compile a custom biped instead of the standard ones?
The globals tag is in the shared map too, so no.

Inferno
April 11th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Uguu~

What if I remove the biped tag from the shared.map. Will it compile it then.

ShadowSpartan
April 11th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Uguu~

What if I remove the biped tag from the shared.map. Will it compile it then.
If I recall correctly, tool doesn't check the shared map itself, it checks a file that is a 'database' of the tags contained in the shared map. If you remove the file, tool won't compile at all.

Inferno
April 11th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Fuck.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Is there any way to do this?

Siliconmaster
April 11th, 2010, 12:23 PM
God, no wonder nobody ever worked with this editor.

yoyorast
April 11th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Looking like a good start, nice idea... hope you can complete it. Good luck man.

Kornman00
April 11th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Eh, give it a few weeks. Answer may just fall into your lap ;3

Inferno
April 11th, 2010, 01:02 PM

What is this I don't even?
What black magic are you conjuring up for this game?

Siliconmaster
April 11th, 2010, 01:02 PM
http://www.dahmus.org/blogimg/fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

flibitijibibo
April 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Oh, Korn, you're such a tease... shed some light on it perhaps? :3

p0lar_bear
April 11th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Until said answer magically appears, you could get away with strategically placed death triggers for the time being; if you think about it, so many people are able to skirt the physics in CE and jump from the top of the island to the bottom with little to no damage.

Sever
April 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Hell, I was a pro at descending Yoyorast Island back in the day - I could get from Top Sniper to Sea Level in no time flat, taking any route I pleased, preforming slide jumps, wide-angle launches, skid landings, and just straight falling (taking red-bar damage on impact), consequences be damned. The only areas that would actually cause issues are directly under the upper spawns (not the lower ones, mind you, since an important impact-damage fall, which allowed players another path to assault the inside FRG, exists just under red side), and under the Mongoose Tower.

Also, on a completely different note, take out the secret room, but leave the sender node in (maybe just put it at the base of where the invisible ladder originally was), and just have it immediately teleport you to the top of the Mongoose Tower - that path was actually quite pivotal in ousting snipers and taking the tower.

Inferno
April 11th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Lighting this map takes forever. But I'm tweaking the lighting to make it look Purrrrfect so I have to.

Inferno
April 11th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I added lighting and made a nice light shader. It contains ridiculous amounts of BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

Also fixed one of the jumps that wasn't working.

I'm also working on increasing the overall light quality of the map. It was kind of gross in the first version.

Inferno
April 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Hell, I was a pro at descending Yoyorast Island back in the day - I could get from Top Sniper to Sea Level in no time flat, taking any route I pleased, preforming slide jumps, wide-angle launches, skid landings, and just straight falling (taking red-bar damage on impact), consequences be damned. The only areas that would actually cause issues are directly under the upper spawns (not the lower ones, mind you, since an important impact-damage fall, which allowed players another path to assault the inside FRG, exists just under red side), and under the Mongoose Tower.

Also, on a completely different note, take out the secret room, but leave the sender node in (maybe just put it at the base of where the invisible ladder originally was), and just have it immediately teleport you to the top of the Mongoose Tower - that path was actually quite pivotal in ousting snipers and taking the tower.

Lol triple post. But IDC. I already removed the secret room because it's a game play killer. I think instead of leaving the teleport I'll just make the flag base teleports end up on top of the ATV tower.

Also the ATV tower now has a civi-warthog instead of a goose.

edit-

Expect updates tommarow. After 10 hour lightmaps complete :3. Why the fuck is h2tool.exe not multi-threaded and 64bit?

Sever
April 12th, 2010, 06:32 AM
No, you need three ways to assault the Mongoose Tower. Two just won't cut it at all, and it's imperative that the Flag Base teleporters send you to the interior - it puts you right behind anyone camping in the tower, and thus creates an interesting encounter scenario. Putting it on top would require for the exit to sit flat on the roof, and thus in front of where those who camp on top normally sit and above anyone inside the tower, breaking the encounter scenario entirely.

Also, hit me up for weapon and ammo location suggestions.

Kornman00
April 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I don't want to spill the beans just yet. Stuff is being tested though :)

Hope you don't mind an extra 8MB (for example) added to your map...or 20% longer build times (rough estimate)

StankBacon
April 12th, 2010, 02:06 PM
i remember i ported yoyo v1 for this game... never released it tho.

Inferno
April 12th, 2010, 03:21 PM
i remember i ported yoyo v1 for this game... never released it tho.

How did you get your lighting to work. Took me ages to get it right.

Inferno
April 12th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I need a water shader. No matter what I do vindication_water just crashes.

Resinball
April 12th, 2010, 09:18 PM
This may help you with water, its a quick tutorial with data+tags:

http://www.monstrmoose.com/repository/Halo_Tools/2_Vista/Tutorial/H2V_Water.zip

There is fall damage in H2, however it really does seem to vary in MP due to lag. One way around dying from falling is to melee the closest thing to you, such as a cliff side.

Inferno
April 12th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Uguu~

Still crashes. I know I'm doing something wrong with the water definitions. I'll have to work on it tomorrow.

Inferno
April 13th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Oddly. When I load the map in the editor with a water shader it crashes but if I compile the map and run it in H2V it displays the water fine.

The fuck?

ShadowSpartan
April 13th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Oddly. When I load the map in the editor with a water shader it crashes but if I compile the map and run it in H2V it displays the water fine.

The fuck?
H2EK is so awesome isn't it?

Inferno
April 13th, 2010, 07:35 PM
H2EK is so awesome isn't it?

Halo 3 Forge allows more customization than H2ek.

t3h m00kz
April 13th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Forge lets you import BSPs?

Inferno
April 13th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Forge lets you import BSPs?

Yeah. You have to get 20,000 headshots though. And they all have to be 720 no scopes.

Anyways. We tested the map today and it played well IMO. We need to do a big beta sooner or later though. Shaders and water are done. And I've tweaked the lighting and model too the way I want it.

Also the falling damage problem isn't that bad.

supersniper
April 14th, 2010, 01:14 AM
hit me up on LIVE i'll help test.
AsK Magic is my gamertag.

but how's the weapon layout? is it Halo 1 or halo 2 style?

Inferno
April 14th, 2010, 03:16 PM
A mix. I kept the core layout intact but changed things as I saw fit.

supersniper
April 14th, 2010, 09:03 PM
hmm there's one thing that won't work though... that's the race gametype (it was never incorporated in halo2)

Inferno
April 14th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Who cares?

Also who want territories on Yoyov2 lol.

Inferno
April 15th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I think I'm just going to go ahead and release this one.

Suggestions?

Resinball
April 15th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Did you test CTF team spawns and such? Those can be tricky.

Inferno
April 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Yeah uh.

For some reason they don't really work right. Occasionally it spawns you at a slayer point. The fuck is up with that?

p0lar_bear
April 15th, 2010, 07:33 PM
And you're gonna release it like that?

At least pass the tags off to someone who gives at least half a damn and is willing to fix it.

Inferno
April 15th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Lol. The map is finished. Scenario is done. Shaders done. Retextures done. Jump fixes and model fixes done. Lighting at the highest quality possible in H2.

I'll post pix later.

p0lar_bear
April 15th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Oh, you never really said that it was that far done. :v:

Inferno
April 15th, 2010, 09:09 PM
http://codebrainshideout.net/inferno/images/yoyo2.png
http://codebrainshideout.net/inferno/images/yoyo1.png

supersniper
April 15th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Yeah uh.

For some reason they don't really work right. Occasionally it spawns you at a slayer point. The fuck is up with that?idk it's a normal rare glitch, I have my server on CTF and it's instant spawn and i've spawned in a slayer spot in coag occasionally. (like in the caves area)

Resinball
April 16th, 2010, 03:55 AM
The following is the method I use:

*If you do not create all gametypes you may get errors when saving in Sapien.

For CTF to work you need:

1) The scenery that it sits upon; one for red team, one for blue and one for neutral.

2) The CTF Netgame Flags are set to one Spawn per red/blue base set to the correct team color, leave Identifier at 0. Check the first two flags (Multiple Flag and Single Flag). Then create one more spawn for the Neutral Flag at the Neutral location. Team Neutral. Identifier still 0. Check only the bottom flag (Neutral).

3) The CTF Netgame Flags are also set to one Return per red/blue base set to the correct team color, leave Identifier at 0. Check the all flags (Multiple Flag, Single Flag and Neutral).

4) Do the exact same thing for Assault.

http://www.monstrmoose.com/MMrepository/Halo_Tools/2_Vista/Tutorial/Halo_2V_Map_Editor/capturetheflag.html

Now for the spawns:

-Set Red and Blue spawns to CTF only

-Set Neutral spawns to All but CTF

-Do not put different types of spawns in the exact same area

-Each spawn (or group of similar spawns) needs a respawn or initial spawn set over it/them.

-Each respawn/initial spawn needs a weight, the higher the weight the more likely it will be used, (I recommend setting them all to 2)

Inferno
April 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Can I not have the spawns to be "Both" so they are initial and respawn points?

Resinball
April 16th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Its certainly possible...I'm just describing a way that works for sure.

Inferno
April 17th, 2010, 03:31 PM
:gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk: :gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::g onk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gon k::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

http://codebrainshideout.net/inferno/images/YOU%20SICK%20BASTARD.png

Halo 2 Vista has extremely advanced light mapping calculations...

CodeBrain
April 17th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Proof that Halo 2's Photon Lightmap Creation can suck testicles sometimes, just like Halo CE!

Inferno
April 17th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Map Games for Bad Bads

Re-Lighting then release.

n00b1n8R
April 17th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Why not do yoyo V2? Wouldn't h2 handle the doors and teleporters better than the (buggy) CE version?

Pyong Kawaguchi
April 17th, 2010, 07:47 PM
That stuff cant be done yet~

Sever
April 17th, 2010, 08:01 PM
And that stuff sucked ass.

The layout of V2 wasn't streamlined like the first one, and thus wasn't fun. Add in all the gimmicks, and it becomes rubbish.

Inferno
April 17th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Why not do yoyo V2? Wouldn't h2 handle the doors and teleporters better than the (buggy) CE version?

Can't. Halo 2 doesn't support custom models or custom animations and it doesn't support custom device machines and script either.

And that stuff sucked ass.

The layout of V2 wasn't streamlined like the first one, and thus wasn't fun. Add in all the gimmicks, and it becomes rubbish.

V2 was better in my opinion. V2 was harder to camp. In V1 I would just go to the mongoose tower and snipe everyone who came out to the beach and that pretty much covered half of the map.

Sever
April 17th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Heh, if you were to have ever to played with me, you'd have never even set foot in the Mongoose Tower. If by some nearly-impossible happenstance, you did make it up to the tower, I was armed to the teeth with options for taking you out of it. Back in my prime I was able to keep the whole map locked down, not allowing anyone to go anywhere I didn't want them to. And no, I didn't excessively, or even moderately camp - I used the top tower as a vantage point, then I came down and kicked your ass face-to-face (or rocket-to-face) with my boots landing squarely on your corpse. So many people rage-quit because of me having the literal drop on them.

On another note, some of my best times on V1 were with no more than four people - V2 was just too huge and needlessly complicated to ever allow that kind of intimate gameplay.

Inferno
April 17th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Heh, if you were to have ever to played with me, you'd have never even set foot in the Mongoose Tower. If by some nearly-impossible happenstance, you did make it up to the tower, I was armed to the teeth with options for taking you out of it. Back in my prime I was able to keep the whole map locked down, not allowing anyone to go anywhere I didn't want them to. And no, I didn't excessively, or even moderately camp - I used the top tower as a vantage point, then I came down and kicked your ass face-to-face (or rocket-to-face) with my boots landing squarely on your corpse. So many people rage-quit because of me having the literal drop on them.

On another note, some of my best times on V1 were with no more than four people - V2 was just too huge and needlessly complicated to ever allow that kind of intimate gameplay.

So basically lots of rocket whoring?

Sever
April 17th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Nah, my preferred weapons were Sniper and Shotgun, with Rockets being used against long-range moving targets (100+ meters away - I could kill someone from the Top Tower as they were ascending the Mongoose Tower with a body shot, and would sometimes kill someone else before the shot even connected, still confident that the kill was in the bag) and the Fuel Rod for indirect fire, which I was a badass at. You know how people would sometimes sit on the flag ladders, with their heads sitting just under the top rim of the glass, so not even a rocket could kill them? I killed those people with Fuel Rods easily. As I said, though, I usually engaged my targets by descending the mountain and attacking from above. I will admit I've used Rockets often while doing this, but some of my best kills were with the Shotgun (coming all the way from the top just to get right in your face and feed you some pellets) and with the Sniper (taking out two Warthogs at close range with noting but 4 rounds and a well placed pair of grenades. Ask Pooky - he was there spectating at the time).

Inferno
April 18th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Proboy.

:smug:

But anyways. From what little I managed to play in tests the gameplay is prety similar though there are key differences caused by the difference in range between the BR and Sniper. The map should be released soon.

Inferno
April 18th, 2010, 01:48 AM
The new light maps are so much sexier. But there is still a very... odd... problem. I already know what's causing it but the first person to figure it out gets some +rep. Here is a video of the "Ladders of Doom".

http://video.xfire.com/283e81-4.jpg (http://www.xfire.com/video/283e81/)

t3h m00kz
April 18th, 2010, 05:20 AM
... collision?

beele
April 18th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Could it be a problem with the shader?, I had a similar problem once with a plasma shader, if you shot at it, it would even crash the game! I fixed it by checking or unchecking a field in the tags, don't remember what is was though :(

Llama Juice
April 18th, 2010, 09:07 AM
The ladder thought you were

coming onto it.

:caruso:

Inferno
April 18th, 2010, 10:57 AM
... collision?

Close. The ladder was overlapping the face on the glass so it was "technically" outside the bsp so when you climbed on it Halo 2 decided you were outside the BSP and it LOLGUARDIAN'd you.

The ladder thought you were

coming onto it.

:caruso:

:lmao:

Pooky
April 19th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Proboy.

You wish you had that kind of skill :realsmug:

Actually I was there, sitting in a mongoose down in the trenches, using dev cam to tell Sever where people were going.

Inferno
April 20th, 2010, 10:30 PM
You wish you had that kind of skill :realsmug:

Actually I was there, sitting in a mongoose down in the trenches, using dev cam to tell Sever where people were going.

That's how a true wall hacker does it.

Inferno
April 22nd, 2010, 04:37 PM
So do you guys want me to just release it now? There's not much else to do to it. Unless sever wants to fuck with my weapon layout...

Sever
April 22nd, 2010, 05:00 PM
I probably do want to fuck with your weapon layout. I don't have H2V, though, so... yeah.

Inferno
April 22nd, 2010, 05:14 PM
uguuu~
Get on AIM and yell at me in like a hour and we can voice chat and I'll broadcast me playing the map so you can use your epic skills to help me improve the layout.