PDA

View Full Version : New Blizzard game to be announced in three weeks

Agamemnon
April 29th, 2007, 09:09 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25594825

Blizzard prepping 'next-gen MMO,' Starcraft 2? (http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25594825)

Source: Several job listings on the official Blizzard Web site (http://www.blizzard.com/jobopp/) and a forum thread on Starcraft-centric Teamliquid.net (http://teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=52433).

What we heard: Barely a month goes by without some sort of speculation (http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25089572)--and the occasional prank (http://ahknight.net/archives/2006/04/02/another-april-fool-world-of-starcraft/)--raising the prospect of Blizzard Entertainment's next project. One of the most common rumors has the cash-flush Vivendi subsidiary working on a console version of World of Warcraft, its wildly popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game. That theory got a boost this week, when Blizzard posted job listings for a lead technical artist (http://www.blizzard.com/jobopp/art-lead-technical.shtml), lead tools programmer (http://www.blizzard.com/jobopp/programmer-lead-tools.shtml), and lead engine programmer (http://www.blizzard.com/jobopp/programmer-lead-engine.shtml) for a "next-gen MMO."

"Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an individual to lead an engine-programming team focused on next-generation massively multiplayer online games," read one of the job descriptions. "The ideal candidate will possess outstanding communication and coordination skills and be capable of...[helping in the] design and creation of a next-generation engine."

As if the mention of a new Blizzard MMOG wasn't enough, this week also saw rumors spread that the publisher-developer is resurrecting one of its classic real-time strategy series. According to a Korean newsletter partially translated by Teamliquid.net, "StarCraft 2 will be revealed for the first time to the world at Blizzard's World Wide Invitational (WWI)." According to the letter, Blizzard will also use the event, which takes place in Seoul, South Korea, on May 19 and 20, to show off the game, which reportedly has full 3D graphics, a revamped combat system, and a new race.

The official story: In an unusual turn of events, Blizzard freely admits that it will announce a new game at the WWI in Korea, where Starcraft's popularity is at near-fanatical levels. "We do intend to announce a new product at the Worldwide Invitational next month in Korea, and we appreciate the enthusiasm and interest in getting an advance look at what that will be," a rep told GameSpot.

Unsurprisingly, though, Blizzard's publicity minion became tight-lipped about the new game. "We can't give any further details regarding the product announcement at WWI," the rep said. "Everyone will have to wait until the event to find out the news."

The Blizzard rep was even less chatty when it came to the subject of the next-gen MMOG. "Blizzard has a number of unannounced projects in the works, but we're not prepared to make any announcements about them at this time," was all he would say.

Bogus or not bogus?: Not bogus that a new Blizzard game will be announced in just over three weeks. (Mark your calendars!) Bogus that it's been officially confirmed as Starcraft 2. "We have a very strong connection with the characters and settings of StarCraft, and we do plan to revisit that universe at some point in the future, but we don't have anything new to announce in that regard at present," said the Blizzard rep.

As for the next-gen MMOG, the job listings prove that it is not bogus. However, the fact that none of the listings mention any platform means that the game could be a "next-gen" PC MMORPG, not a next-gen console title. This seems the more likely scenario, given that Blizzard reassigned much of its console team to focus on PC projects (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraftexp1/news.html?sid=6155203) last August.
Revealing a new game at WWI, where their biggest Starcraft fan base is, is a definite nod to a Starcraft sequel. As far as that next-gen MMORPG is, I hope to God it isn't the Diablo sequel. After all, Diablo was all about hack-n'-slash good ol' free online play. Then again, as far as I'm concerned, Diablo left Blizzard a long time ago to go on to become Flagship Studios and develop HellGate: London.

Your take on things? Blizzard is, after all, notorious for taking decades to actually do something. I always found that funny, though, considering they're one of the richest gaming companies out there, especially when backed up by good ol' Vivendi.

Chewy Gumball
April 29th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Blizzard produces quality games and then supports them. I really don't care how long it takes them to make starcraft 2 because I know it will be worth the wait. As for another mmo, I hope its not just a rehash of wow.

Agamemnon
April 29th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Ten years for a sequel is ridiculous. Many people claim that they are "hard at work producing quality work," yet they are still hiring more people to work on "unannounced titles." Hell, we all know Starcraft: Ghost will never see the light of day.

Stealth
April 29th, 2007, 11:43 AM
If they are working on StarCraft 2, I hope they make it more like WarCraft.

Agamemnon
April 29th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Why, so there is no difference between the two games then?

Stealth
April 29th, 2007, 11:57 AM
what I mean is make it 3D.

Kornman00
April 29th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Using my remote viewing I can prove that its Star Craft 2. I can also prove that in 2012 I will take a really huge shit that will cause earth's rotation to shift, not over time, but an actual shift, causing eruptions and earth quakes all around the world. I however, being at the core of the cause will remain safe and continue to wipe my ass...

IPBJT!
April 29th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Using my remote viewing I can prove that its Star Craft 2. I can also prove that in 2012 I will take a really huge shit that will cause earth's rotation to shift, not over time, but an actual shift, causing eruptions and earth quakes all around the world. I however, being at the core of the cause will remain safe and continue to wipe my ass...
Saw that thread on gearbox i guess? :p

Anyway, i hope it's starcraft 2, the first one was awesome (though it's a shame i can't play anymore. Stupid broodwar cd got lost >.<) there's no reason not to make a sequel.

Kornman00
April 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Sure did, I still visit the off topic and tech sections on gbx on the weekends once or twice, as thats still a nice filter'd (usually, from a bunch of other junk) news system for me ;p. I just said I wasn't going to be an active member thar. Didn't say I wouldn't swing by every week to see whats up :P

Zeph
April 29th, 2007, 06:52 PM
:(
I never got around to finishing the third part of the campaign for starcraft. I think I had terrible trouble on one of the levels. I think I was supposed to keep some things alive, but I never could.

>_>
I think I might reinstall starcraft.

legionaire45
April 29th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Sure did, I still visit the off topic and tech sections on gbx on the weekends once or twice, as thats still a nice filter'd (usually, from a bunch of other junk) news system for me ;p. I just said I wasn't going to be an active member thar. Didn't say I wouldn't swing by every week to see whats up :P
Trust me, you aren't missing much. The CE section is still being noob friendly and encouraging new SVC's, the usual. I don't think I want to even look at that section anymore.

Starcraft 2 sounds like it will be cool, I just hope they don't screw it up =/

DaneO'Roo
April 29th, 2007, 07:09 PM
>_> Diablo 1 and 2 are the only Billzard games I like. The rest fail to me

Agamemnon
April 29th, 2007, 07:34 PM
>_> Diablo 1 and 2 are the only Billzard games I like. The rest fail to me
Then you must know that they aren't actually Blizzard games. When Diablo 1 was in its developing stages, Blizzard saw opportunity and bought the company that was developing it, combining it with their company and renaming it Blizzard North. So, after the Diablo series was a hit, they took all the credit simply because they bought a company. You can forget that now. Blizzard North disbanded a year and a half ago because Blizzard refused them to work on their own projects. The original creators moved on to form Flagship Studios and are developing the true sequel in soul of Diablo. It's called HellGate: London.

DaneO'Roo
April 29th, 2007, 07:40 PM
:O Wow thanks for the heads up on that *searches for moar info*

Stealth
April 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I liked StarCraft, it wasn't that bad of a game to start out with, I just wish I knew where to find my old map I made. >.<

legionaire45
April 29th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Hellgate looks like sex. I've been waiting for it for a while, when is it expected to be released? Any date yet?

Agamemnon
April 30th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Apparently Sep 2007 in EU, but they've yet to even release a release date for the US.

Emmzee
April 30th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Since I thought they would announce Starcraft 2 when they really announced WoW, I doubt this will be anything like people are expecting.

Zeph
April 30th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I liked StarCraft, it wasn't that bad of a game to start out with, I just wish I knew where to find my old map I made. >.<

only map anyone needs is fastest. it tests your true star craft skills. <3 pwning with terrans, but the carrier fleets and spider guys make me choose the alien guys. ( >__< cant remember their name, it's been soo long).

Kornman00
April 30th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Protos! I downloaded Star Craft the other day (I actually own it KTHX, just all my shit is back in the states) because I've been craving some good 'ol SP action since the Halo Wars trailer

Trust me, you aren't missing much. The CE section is still being noob friendly and encouraging new SVC's, the usual. I don't think I want to even look at that section anymore.

I'm still skeptical if I will plant my H2V roots here. I'm not sure if I like the crowd building up. Maybe I'll start my own elitist forum at my site that everyone will register at and forget exists and I'll just entertain myself with yellow things and such...

dg
April 30th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I'm loving the idea of StarCraft 2 or even a StarCraft MMO.

I'd cancel my WoW subscription for that. :-D

~dg945~

Kornman00
April 30th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I wish they'd cancel WoW in general. More bandwidth for SC and a much better waste of time IAT.

mR_r0b0to
April 30th, 2007, 05:34 PM
StarCraft <33333
3D Photon Cannons http://www.h2vista.net/forums/h2images/smilies/trillian/dance.gif

IPBJT!
April 30th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Anyone know where i could download broodwar? I can't seem to find my CD :(

Agamemnon
April 30th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I wish they'd cancel WoW in general. More bandwidth for SC and a much better waste of time IAT.
You, sir, deserve a medal.

thehoodedsmack
May 1st, 2007, 02:33 PM
Starcraft 2 you say? Spot-on! Sounds like a plan!

TheOneBread
May 2nd, 2007, 12:19 AM
I remember doing all nighters for Starcraft LAN games, good times. Starcraft 2 would definately be a step in the right direction for Blizzard. I don't think I would go for a Starcraft MMO though, keep it as the good ol' RTS in my opinion.

Con
May 2nd, 2007, 12:28 AM
World of Starcraft? :O

Emmzee
May 2nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
Anyone know where i could download broodwar? I can't seem to find my CD :(
That would be on a torrent site, also illegal.

Cortexian
May 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM
World of Starcraft? :O
Hahahahahahahahaha no.

StarCraft shalt always be an RTS.

Agamemnon
May 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha no.

StarCraft shalt always be an RTS.
It was almost a console FPS a few years ago.