PDA

View Full Version : 3ds Max closes on export.

Higuy
April 11th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I use to know the answer to this question; My 3ds max (8) closes when I export my bsp. It just says an error has occurred, and that it will close. I thought it may be becuase I used some different materials from another max file, so I changed them back to my regular ones. No luck. Also tried taking out the portals, tree filers, etc. Didn't work. Anyone know how to fix this?

teh lag
April 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Almost every time this has happened to me it's been something related to materials - either something is referencing an invalid material, or in the material editor there's some problem or another (I think there's certain types of maps - noise and such - it doesn't like to have if they're all alone, but that could have just been a coincidence when I noticed it) that blitz doesn't like.

I would try exporting with BlueStreak to see if any kind of error is thrown - if not, you've got a long journey ahead of you.

...And then there's the possibility it's not material-related at all. In the back of my mind there's something about a time when it was something else... regions maybe, but if you're doing bsp that wouldn't apply.

Higuy
April 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I got an error when exporting with bluestreak too.

format "%\n%\n" geom_materials[m].name "<none>" to:jms

Guess its a material error. What does it mean? Know how to fix it?

teh lag
April 11th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Sounds like there's a non-existent material being referenced.

Higuy
April 11th, 2010, 08:32 PM
so basically when I merged max files there was a material in there not refrenced before?

Inferno
April 11th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Set all your material ID's to 1 (DO NOT SAVE) and do a "Test Export" if that fixes it that means you have a material ID that references a non-existent material.

TheSilverFlame
April 11th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Every version of max I've worked with (8-2010) have exporting problems sometimes. Merge the models into a new blank .max file and this fixes most cases, I'm not sure about this particular one though.

XeBec
April 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I had that same error with 3ds max 9 and bluestreak What was happening was I had a object that didnt have a bitmap set to it. It had no material on it. Take and do this in 3ds max. click file, Reset now click Merge and find your 3ds max file with the level/weapon/scenery what ever it is you have. merge it into your reset scene now click material and find a bitmap you have and apply it to everything then export it. should work then.