PDA

View Full Version : A Comprehensive Look at Hard Surface Modeling and Texturing for Video Games:

Rooster
April 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM
A Comprehensive Look at Hard Surface Modeling for Video Games (by roosterMAP):

This video is aimed for people who are already familiar with basic modeling in 3DS Max and are looking to learn about the pipeline environment artists use in the industry. We will go through high/low poly modeling, unwrapping, and baking. This tutorial could also be helpful to advanced 3D Artists seeking to further there skills by observing another artists work structure. By the end of this tutorial, users should be familiar with the Environment Art pipeline and should be ready to tackle more advanced modeling jobs.

link can be found here(modeling): http://vimeo.com/11052708
link can be found here(texturing): http://vimeo.com/11100774

length: about 2hrs
level required: intermediate

next tut will cover several texturing techniques.

Limited
April 19th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I'm assuming you were the one who made it, cool accent :D

Great work thanks :D (gonna watch it tomorrow probably).

Is it possible to download vimeo videos, so I can watch it in stages?

Saggy
April 19th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Is it possible to download vimeo videos, so I can watch it in stages?Yes, but you need to make an account on Vimeo.

teh lag
April 19th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Moved to tutorials,

Thanks for sharing this here. I'll definitely watch it, and I'm looking forward to seeing stuff about texturing. I never really got a good grasp on that.

Limited
April 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Yes, but you need to make an account on Vimeo.
Ah, I used Orbit and it grabbed the mp4 being played.

I have a few questions, how do you nudge the vertices, WITHOUT using the mouse/gizmo?

You use like different objects to build up parts of model, like you just added that bit that isnt in the concept but you just did it for looks, this is like at 9:40. You have the like end of poly sticking through the other polygon. Is that good practice? Doesnt that break like the guides within the game engine?

Disaster
April 19th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Ah, I used Orbit and it grabbed the mp4 being played.

You use like different objects to build up parts of model, like you just added that bit that isnt in the concept but you just did it for looks, this is like at 9:40. You have the like end of poly sticking through the other polygon. Is that good practice? Doesnt that break like the guides within the game engine?
No because the object he is modeling is not collision geometry. When making collision geometry for an object, you would want to avoid that. The only reason that halo bitches at you for problems like this on BSP is because the engine builds the collision and render geometry from the same geometry. (If that makes sense) Most modern game engines can generate collision automatically based on the general shape of the render geometry. Its not exact but most of the time it will get the job done. However, sometimes it does require the use of unique collision models.

Limited
April 19th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Oh okay, makes sense. Makes modeling a ton easier then.

Adding support edges, it stops the turbosmooth messing up the edges. You put at least 2 edges, (one either side) of the edge. How do you know if you need at add more? Some parts had a TON of supporting edges.

Rooster
April 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM
for every main edge, you should have one support edge on either side. THis is something that takes a lot of practise to get used to. here is a tut that WILL help you: http://vimeo.com/10941211

Roostervier
April 19th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I think you could've acted a bit more like it was a tutorial. To me, it just seemed like you were going through your workflow. What if someone doesn't know anything about supporting edges? It seemed like a great time to explain it once you started doing it--the boring comment and whistling should've been replaced with an explanation. Also, I wouldn't recommend eating while making a tutorial.

Rooster
April 19th, 2010, 11:57 PM
u make some good points. however, covering the very basics of subdivision was something i expected users to know. However, I am taking your crit, and am working hard to make the next tutorial seem more professional.

*me eating shouldnt bother you
*i shouldnt have whistles or said the "boring" comment.
*this is my first tut. next one will be better.

Hunter
April 20th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Really nice tutorial and really nice outcome :) I actually never knew that you modelled.

You have actually encouraged me to start to model again. About time to learn sub'd modelling and texture baking, if I am going to model Halo shit I might as well do it with some skill instead of stupid low poly remakes that can be done by a monkey...

You should post this on Haloripsmaps, maybe they will actually learn something ;)

Rooster
April 20th, 2010, 11:23 AM
how did you not know? how do you think i made narrows?

Hunter
April 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I havn't really paid attention to what has been made and by who recently tbh, or previously as well. So I didn't know it was you who made it lmfao. My bad :)

Rooster
April 21st, 2010, 11:41 AM
I finished the texture tut. should i make a new thread for it?

teh lag
April 21st, 2010, 12:13 PM
That's up to you - it might be easier for people to find if it's separate. But, if this is part of a large series, you may want to post it here + edit it into the op + have the thread renamed to note that it's a series. Your call mister other Rooster.

Rooster
April 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM
Though the final result isnt as flashy as the last one, I consider this one way better than the last. Rather than just watching me model and make random comment, I have actually organized this into more of a class style lecture. THIS IS AN EXCELLENT TUTORIAL, and nearly as good as any you would find on gnomon.

http://vimeo.com/11100774

In this tutorial, we will go over the theory behind the interactions between materials in the natural world, how to make a metal base texture, adding realistic paint layers, the photoshop pattern tool, and making specular maps.

Limited
April 21st, 2010, 04:25 PM
Great stuff, briefing skipped through bits, will watch it in full at a later date but yeah great work.

Disaster
April 21st, 2010, 04:32 PM
Good Tutorial. Will help a lot of people hopefully. I do suggest adding more contrast to the specular for the metal. I tend to leave the diffuse with little contrast but up the contrast for the specular quite alot.

Higuy
April 23rd, 2010, 09:44 PM
Finally a decent tutorial that might enable me to actually try to texture something!

Roostervier
April 27th, 2010, 04:20 PM
merged threads and stickied.

Rooster
May 1st, 2010, 09:52 PM
thx man! hope everyone watches!