PDA

View Full Version : [WIP-maybe] Symmetrical map idea

Rob Oplawar
April 29th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Hey guys, I was messing around with deform modifiers on Hangar, and the bend modifier gave me an idea for a symmetrical map. So I threw together a layout test and video'd it- here we go:

2P9YUSESfnE

It's very basic geometry, but it gets the idea across. I think I like it, so I'm gonna go ahead and make a slightly more complex and gameplay friendly version so I can get some pre-alpha testing going to see if I should give it any serious consideration.

The layout is basically 3 rings, one inside the other, and 7 doorways in each ring to the center, with a pit in the middle, and 4 bases arranged in a diamond aroun the outermost ring. The rough testing of the layout seems to work to me, but we'll see when i get to the pre-alpha matches.

What do you guys think?

{MMT} Pope
April 29th, 2007, 11:40 PM
looks fun and i understand the only one texture thing because its a beta, but it looks fun

Btd69
April 30th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Needs more detail, particularly around the middle. But seems like a decent concept.

Rob Oplawar
April 30th, 2007, 10:33 AM
no, you can't access the higher levels, although i'm considering giving it a lower level accesible through ramps, but come to think of it, i think that would make it too big. i'm going to scale down the whole thing too, to make it just a little quicker to get from base to base. and of course it needs more detail; i just booleaned several cylinders to thest the overall layout. when i get around to it i'm going to add some pillars as cover in the middle- is that what you mean? also i'm going to add a dip in the middle of the outermost cylinder, and add a bit more area and cover to the bases, and some nooks here and there.

Bodzilla
May 2nd, 2007, 03:58 AM
i'm going to scale down the whole thing too, to make it just a little quicker to get from base to base.
Good stuff. that was Probebly the main Problem i saw in it. at present size it would be to big to allow decent Confrontation. It'd just be boring. looking good, Nice idea

SnaFuBAR
May 2nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
too simple for my tastes. seems kinda boring.

Rob Oplawar
May 3rd, 2007, 01:25 AM
k, hopefully adding those changes to the outer ring, bases, and center ring will make it more complex, but the idea is for it to be somewhat like a big foundation or warlock, and as it is it's about as complex as those maps (although the split-level effect is missing- come to think of it i should make the outer ring higher than the inner rings).

edit: place that one next to it, only put it up higher so we get a split-level effect with a little path running down the middle.

A path! With a path! A path!

thehoodedsmack
May 3rd, 2007, 06:20 AM
Is that a gigantic hole, I see? THIS....IS....HALO!!!

DaneO'Roo
May 3rd, 2007, 06:31 AM
Lol, yeah, just fuck with it some more and get some more interest happenign in it. Seems like a hearty start :)