PDA

View Full Version : Armor Abilities: Possible?

April 27th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I was thinking, would it be possible to make armor abilities work via some scripting and tag editing?

So far I have come to the conclusion it may be, but my knowledge on some things is limited, so I figured I would ask here and see if anyone else had some ideas before I bother trying to pursue it. What I have decided I would like to do, is either randomize the armor ability somehow, and have a script detect it, and then have the flashlight used as the "armor ability" button. What I don't quite have figured out is how I would make different effects happen; making one person do armor lock or active camouflage is one thing, but that would likely be for one biped only and that would be the end of the variety there. What I am mainly wondering is if it is possible to have it use more than one armor ability in a biped, kinda like permutations in a sense. (Question is, could the script detect the armor ability being used, as well as having multiple variations of armor abilities, and knowing which variant was equipped?)

annihilation
April 27th, 2010, 01:20 AM
As far as I know having selectable loadouts when you start is possible.
eg. one person spawns with a bubble sheild. The other spawns with camo.

I'm not a scripter so I don't know how you would do it. Sorry.

Llama Juice
April 27th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I'm waiting for Flibit to find this thread.

Anyhow, best of luck with the idea, it'd be neat to see it implemented in HCE haha.

April 27th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Yeah, I have a basic idea of how to make armor lock work at the moment, though I just thought of the fact that to perfect it I need it to use an animation to slam the fist into the ground and stuff... (Figuring I can use a model permutation to imitate the shields popping up over the player.)

laghing_rabt
April 30th, 2010, 11:43 PM
hmmm, I'm not to sure on how I feel about armor abilities, I think sprinting and rolling might be a better update. jet pack and invisibility are cool, but I would't want to stray to far from the original game-play of halo, that I fell in love with.

Cortexian
May 3rd, 2010, 02:16 AM
Rolling would be useless, much rather have prone but these are completely unrelated features for the OP.

Inferno
May 3rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Rolling would be useless, much rather have prone but these are completely unrelated features for the OP.

Because prone in a Halo game would be so useful!

Hunter
May 4th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I want to know if the jetpack is possible without being buggy. If anyone finds out tell me :)

annihilation
May 4th, 2010, 07:59 AM
If you made it into a vehicle like Hydrolosis.

supersniper
May 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM
exactly, i was thinking hydrolisis as well.

DarkHalo003
May 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Well, lets see what I can guess about making it work decently:

-Use that kind of permutation/whatever from Gamma's Portent HUD to select different abilities. This would allow the Jetpack armor ability to look legit.
-Replace the jump feature of the permutation (if that's possible) to use the Jetpack when you select the jetpack.
-Armor Lock could be a replacement for the flashlight function (brainstorming).
-Have the permutation for the camo use the camo flashlight scripting to allow active camoflauge.
-Replace the flashlight function with Sprinting abilities for the Sprinting permutation.

I'm just throwing out stuff and I don't really know if it is possible, but i thought I'd try to contribute in some way or another. Who knows, it could work to an extent.
-

DarkHalo003
May 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Nvm. Extra post on accident.

laghing_rabt
May 14th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I haven't played the reach beta yet and I'm a little concerned how the armor abilities would effect game-play. though evade and sprint would be two abilities that could make infantry combat a bit more complex, like star wars battlefront with more epic in your face game-play. haul ass across an open space, roll out of the way of a rocket, charge an opponent for an epic melee. also, I really didn't like that jet-pack vehicle.

Kalub
May 14th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Possible yes; worth it no

annihilation
May 14th, 2010, 11:17 PM
The only thing you wouldn't be able to do is weapons. afaik

laghing_rabt
May 15th, 2010, 03:44 PM
can ya'll tell me how to do that, I still think it could work out well, and instead of a jet pack, try jump-packs, double tap space to shoot up, like using the super-jump cheat with regular jumps enabled.