PDA

View Full Version : Oil spill in my gulf of mexico?

ICEE
April 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM
this is no time for silly memes (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/29/stopping.oil.leak/index.html?hpt=T1)

Its looking pretty catastrophic. They say it may become bigger than the exxon valdez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon_Valdez) incident. Looks like the environment takes another one for the team.

Cojafoji
April 29th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I heard that it's still hemmorahging at the ocean floor. something like 210,000 gallons a day. They say it's gonna take 3 weeks to develop and fabricate a cap that they can stuff over the leak.

details here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8650620.stm)

paladin
April 29th, 2010, 11:35 PM
yeah, at first they estimated 1000 barrels abday, now its up to 5000

EX12693
April 29th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Damn. That's a LOT of oil. And a LOT of money.

ICEE
April 30th, 2010, 12:16 AM
lets just hope no one in louisiana tosses a lit cigarette :)

EX12693
April 30th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Lol... why is the ocean on fire?

annihilation
April 30th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Lol... why is the ocean on fire?

Because there's oil in it.:downs:

=sw=warlord
April 30th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Big Shell.

sound's pretty nasty, bet this is going to cause one hell of a stink for few months...weeks.

Timo
April 30th, 2010, 06:31 PM
A bunch of photos of the oil rig/spill: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/oil_spill_approaches_louisiana.html

paladin
May 4th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Great photos, ty.
Now to the fuel argument....
I keep hearing about oil versus nuclear, solar is better than wind, tidal power versus all the worlds hamsters in a treadmill.
We never hear the most obvious answer to our worlds energy problems.
STOP BREEDING!

Most intelligent comment left on the article.... HA what a sorry sole

Zombie
May 19th, 2010, 05:59 PM
It reached the marsh land yesterday. The guy that was talking about it on t.v was pissed!

Kalub
May 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
So how exactly do you fix this problem

Cojafoji
May 20th, 2010, 05:34 PM
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/44000/44006/gulf_tmo_2010137_lrg.jpg

sleepy1212
May 21st, 2010, 07:13 AM
pretty cool pic huh i can almost see my house. could make a wallpaper from that.

TeeKup
June 5th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Holy living shit...is this STILL not fixed? What the hell man....

Jean-Luc
June 5th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Holy living shit...is this STILL not fixed? What the hell man....
It's a gigantic pain in the ass to work with a gushing pipe a mile below the surface. Gotta worry about ice forming, properly sealing it, etc.

Heathen
June 6th, 2010, 02:47 AM
http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/bp_2.jpg

InnerGoat
June 6th, 2010, 11:40 AM
It's a gigantic pain in the ass to work with a gushing pipe a mile below the surface. Gotta worry about ice forming, properly sealing it, etc.

Well they gotta be cost effective solutions too you know. Nothing overkill that would work the first time :ohdear:

n00b1n8R
June 6th, 2010, 08:18 PM
And the world burns through even more oil than that on a daily basis. :v:

Aerowyn
June 6th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I'm disgusted by the whole situation. And I'm disgusted by people that blame Obama for not properly acting on the situation, when I think he did the only appropriate thing by giving it to BP to pay for.

Everyone is now saying that Obama should've taken over and sent people in there to clean it up.... but had Obama put federal money into this cleanup, the republicans and tea party loonies would've been ALL OVER THAT, saying, "SEE? Obama is just bailing out the Big Oil companies with taxpayer money. He doesn't care about America. The spill is BP's problem--we should make them pay every penny and make them clean up their own mess."

Instead, what we have is Obama doing just that, putting all the responsibility on BP, and we have people saying, "The Obama Administration hasn't done anything to help with this spill. He really should send the National Guard down there, or we need to take over BP and do things our way."

We just can't have our cake and eat it too I guess.

Dwood
June 6th, 2010, 08:59 PM
'Bama should have instantly capped it with the most expensive solution. Then left it to BP to clean up the mess and basically fined the company to all get out. OFC investigation of the incident would be an afterthought.

Sel
June 6th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Shitty memes that have been around since well before I fucking joined this site, atleast 3 years ago still being posted?

more likely than you think, fuck

Palin blames oil spill on environmentalists (http://wonkette.com/415813/millionaire-idiot-sarah-palin-blames-bp-oil-spill-on-environmentalists)

Kalub
June 7th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I'm disgusted by the whole situation. And I'm disgusted by people that blame Obama for not properly acting on the situation, when I think he did the only appropriate thing by giving it to BP to pay for.

Everyone is now saying that Obama should've taken over and sent people in there to clean it up.... but had Obama put federal money into this cleanup, the republicans and tea party loonies would've been ALL OVER THAT, saying, "SEE? Obama is just bailing out the Big Oil companies with taxpayer money. He doesn't care about America. The spill is BP's problem--we should make them pay every penny and make them clean up their own mess."

Instead, what we have is Obama doing just that, putting all the responsibility on BP, and we have people saying, "The Obama Administration hasn't done anything to help with this spill. He really should send the National Guard down there, or we need to take over BP and do things our way."

We just can't have our cake and eat it too I guess.

This is why I've lost hope in society of today.

sdavis117
June 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM
'Bama should have instantly capped it with the most expensive solution. Then left it to BP to clean up the mess and basically fined the company to all get out. OFC investigation of the incident would be an afterthought.
The US government does not have the equipment or the capability to cap this well.

ICEE
June 7th, 2010, 04:12 PM
This is why I've lost hope in society of today.

It ain't just "society of today", Mmmmk. Throughout history people have been pessimistic and manipulatable fools in groups. This is not new, and yet we've persevered.

Limited
June 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I read somewhere that the government response to the oil spill was slower than hurricane Katrina.

Also Aero your argument is completely idiotic. Theres a big difference between paying for it, and fixing it. He shouldnt sit back and watch it happen, he needs to do something about it, and then make BP pay for the cost. It is destroying the ecosystem and environment, now is not a time to make a stand just because your stubborn.

Dwood
June 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Is it still spewing oil here or what?

Corndogman
June 9th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah, its getting pretty ridiculous. I live right by siesta key beach (which is ranked as the 3rd nicest beach in the US, and top 10 in the world) and I'm gonna be pissed if this shit destroys it. Hell, the tourism from it is like half of our local economy, same goes for most of the coastal cities.

paladin
June 11th, 2010, 10:01 PM
major lols THIS (http://www.ucbcomedy.com/videos/play/6472/bp-spills-coffee)

Mass
June 12th, 2010, 11:41 PM
The US government does not have the equipment or the capability to cap this well.
Precisely. Only BP actually has equipment to work on this; There's very little the government can actually do until aid is needed at the coast. Unless you want to nationalize BP and make it their sole priority, which I don't see being very likely.

Cojafoji
June 13th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Precisely. Only BP actually has equipment to work on this; There's very little the government can actually do until aid is needed at the coast. Unless you want to nationalize BP and make it their sole priority, which I don't see being very likely.
The army corps of engineers would like a word with you son...

sdavis117
June 13th, 2010, 09:34 AM
The army corps of engineers would like a word with you son...
The only physical equipment that the government owns that can operate at 5000ft underwater are nuclear subs. The Army Corp of Engineers does not have the ability to help either when it comes to capping the well.

sleepy1212
June 14th, 2010, 07:47 AM
anyone know why they turned down the Dutch?

Cojafoji
June 14th, 2010, 10:28 AM
The only physical equipment that the government owns that can operate at 5000ft underwater are nuclear subs. The Army Corp of Engineers does not have the ability to help either when it comes to capping the well.
What do engineers do: They fabricate things.

So, you're telling me that they couldn't whip something up that'd work? You're absolutely 100% positive? I doubt it.

sleepy1212
June 14th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I used to live on the Gulf (FL near Pensacola) and the ACE there, at least, has a small army of dredging boats and construction equipment. They'd be useful in the onshore/near shore cleanup but probably not much help on the rig. Also, the ACE is much like most private engineering firms, i work for one now...my old man, when he was in the AF, worked for the engineering corps on Eglin AFB. They pretty much design and manage infrastructure and buildings, acquire permits, and serve as an advisory on myriad subjects from projects on lands under their jurisdiction to environmental policy and licensing. If the spill was managed federally it's likely the ACE would play a management role in conjunction with the military, EPA, and various agencies. I don't really see them coming up with a solution on their own.

anyone know why they turned down the Dutch?

and....

30 miles of boom in Maine not being used?
millions of feet of boom material in two local companies still waiting for orders from the Fed/BP?
locals restricted from cleaning up the beach in Escambia Co., FL?

=sw=warlord
June 14th, 2010, 11:31 AM
What do engineers do: They fabricate things.

So, you're telling me that they couldn't whip something up that'd work? You're absolutely 100% positive? I doubt it.
It's not a simple matter of whether they could fabricate the equipment, it's a case of who is more experienced with these situations.
BP is a large oil based company, their engineers are experts on just this kind of scenario where as the A.C.E. jerry build the equipment for the particular cause needed.

Dwood
June 14th, 2010, 12:33 PM
It's not a simple matter of whether they could fabricate the equipment, it's a case of who is more experienced with these situations.
BP is a large oil based company, their engineers are experts on just this kind of scenario where as the A.C.E. jerry build the equipment for the particular cause needed.

Not are, but rather, should be experts on these kinds of situations.

SiriusTexra
June 14th, 2010, 05:33 PM
It wont get fixed.

InnerGoat
June 14th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Nah don't be so negative they'll get it done before the end of hurricane season :)

sdavis117
June 14th, 2010, 06:33 PM
If anything the relief well will fix it. I think the government knows that the only thing that's actually going to work is that relief well they are drilling, they just don't want to admit it.

Con
June 16th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Moved to TGD

Jean-Luc
July 2nd, 2010, 08:55 PM
Updating dis thread.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20100630/US.Gulf.Oil.Spill/

Christ that article pissed me off. :maddowns:

Cojafoji
July 6th, 2010, 02:16 AM
no, but seriously...

the refusal of dutch help only illustrates the federal governments inability to act in this current situation. The oil pollution act of 1990 is not only binding the hands of private corporations, but binding the hands of the federal government at home.

turbo edit: yikes.

Limited
July 6th, 2010, 01:07 PM
So has any thing happened to the ignorant American employees that broke protocol and instead of fixing the pipe shutdown valve simply just turned it off and ignored it, days before the accident.

rossmum
July 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Yeah that's exactly the questions my parents have been asking - ultimately BP is the parent company, but those were rigs crewed with American staff and as far as I know with American equipment, yet it's all the UK's fault apparently.

Anton
July 6th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Ross, where did you read everyone was blaming the UK? The only time I've heard the UK mentioned was during Obama's meetings with the English Prime Minister. I agree that BP is taking way too much blame, but it comes with the territory. If you hire sub-contractors to do your drilling you're taking on a liability. This isn't the first time trans-ocean has fucked up. Someone here posted a link to the news article about an oil spill in the gulf of mexico 30-some years ago. That oil spill was very similar to this one and was the same company (before a brand/name change anyway). Either way, BP will bounce back in a few years time. In the meantime, people will hold BP accountable. Countless people who live in the gulf states are being effected; it reaches further than that actually. If this would have been an American company who staffed Brits in British waters, then the same thing would have happened in opposite effect. Everyone is just going to have to sit tight and pace through this one day at a time.

Dwood
July 6th, 2010, 11:57 PM
We are placing the blame on the company not the country???

Limited
July 7th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Its funny, the start of the crisis it was known as BP. Then suddenly it turned ugly, and all the news outlets and all the chit chatter named it British Petroleum. It has been made clear that its British to try and pass the burden onto us, using Britain as a scapegoat.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nilegardiner/100040294/100040294/

Could the Obama administration’s bashing of BP (or British Petroleum) over the Gulf oil spill harm relations between the White House and the new Cameron administration? I think there is a good chance it could. After all, a major British corporation, which employs 29,000 Americans (http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=488&contentId=2000734), has been demonised by this administration with language that it would dare not use even against America’s worst enemies, such as Iran and North Korea. In addition, it is facing xenophobic calls from some Democrats on Capitol Hill to be banned altogether (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-luis-gutierrez/bp-should-stand-for-banne_b_580418.html)from operating in the United States, a petty form of protectionism which is fundamentally against the spirit of free trade which for centuries has helped drive the prosperity of both the United States and Great Britain.
The consequences for US-British relations should not be underestimated, and the White House should exercise caution before repeating its “boot on the throat” refrain, especially with new leadership in Downing Street that is more likely to respond forcefully than its predecessor.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/this_week/8747793.stm
"James Rubin, the former Clinton advisor, and Michael Portillo clash in a heated debate over perceived British-bashing in the USA over the BP oil spill. Mr Portillo claims President Obama has "completely lost it" but Mr Rubin was "surprised at the level of outrage" before they argue over terrorist attacks and previous oil-industry disasters. Andrew Neil and Oona King also join in."

Oh yea, info on the negligence of the workers.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/us_and_canada/10362139.stm

A Deepwater Horizon rig worker has told the BBC that he identified a leak in the oil rig's safety equipment weeks before the explosion.
Tyrone Benton said the leak was not fixed at the time, but that instead the faulty device was shut down and a second one relied on.
BP said rig owners Transocean were responsible for the operation and maintenance of that piece of equipment.
What nationality is the transocean company?...Oooh, American.

sleepy1212
July 7th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Can't speak for everyone but I don't think regular people are specifically blaming Britain as opposed to BP and TO, and don't forget about the federal inspectors who are supposed to be in charge of this shit.

However, Obama may want to. He did return the Churchill bust and his grandfather was tortured (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/deadlineusa/2008/dec/03/obama-grandfather-maumau-torture) by the British during their occupation of Kenya. Some people think he has a major beef with them because of that.

Cojafoji
July 7th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Subcontractors ultimately cede all control to the parent company. They receive money, directives, and project managers from the parent company. Not saying that this isn't Transocean's as well, but if BP hadn't of ignored the advice of engineers and experts and actually placed an order for a platform there, this wouldn't have happened.

It's like a general ordering the execution of POW's. The soldiers do the shooting, but the general is ultimately responsible.

edit: I don't care what the nationality of the parent company is. Also, funny point, majority stock holder is Wells Fargo, an American company.

Anton
July 7th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Limited, you're talking with pure emotion at this point. I'll get to your first few points in the latter section of my post. As for your 'negligence of the workers:' there was signs of equipment malfunction, of course. This is a known fact. These works reported the issues to their supervisors. Ultimately, it was in the hands of Trans-Ocean (A SUB CONTRACTOR WITH A TERRIBLE HISTORY). So as to your claim that the workers were negligent.. it falls apart. The workers cannot do anything without the direction of their superiors. If so, jobs would be lost. It was Transocean's call on whether to shut down the rig or not for repairs; and obviously they decided not too.

You and Ross are the only ones claiming 'British bashing.' Barely anyone cares if it's a British corporation. Trans-ocean is now a subsidiary of BP by the way. BP will still get the ultimate blame. You're claiming that they are going to use Britain as a scapegoat. You do realize that the Obama administration has to take a tough stance on the issue? This is an election year; this will be weighed out at the polls. The administration has to look tough, otherwise their base (which, by the way, stands for environmental cleanliness) would turn on them. As for the issue you quoted in the article; 'boot on the throat of BP.' That was a huge fiasco here in the states. It was covered for a few weeks. Ultimately, Salazar and Gibbs apologized for their statements. Again, that was purely political and emotional.

As I said before, just let this thing play out. Don't take anything that is said to heart. The dust will settle eventually.

=sw=warlord
July 7th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Subcontractors ultimately cede all control to the parent company. They receive money, directives, and project managers from the parent company. Not saying that this isn't Transocean's as well, but if BP hadn't of ignored the advice of engineers and experts and actually placed an order for a platform there, this wouldn't have happened.

It's like a general ordering the execution of POW's. The soldiers do the shooting, but the general is ultimately responsible.

edit: I don't care what the nationality of the parent company is. Also, funny point, majority stock holder is Wells Fargo, an American company.
Sub contractors also share a very large portion of responsibility.
BP maybe the parent company of the rig, but if the sub-contractors hadn't been cutting corners a lot of this wouldn't have happened.
BP has recently announced it has spent well over £1 Billion in trying to resolve the problem, their the ones who are bitched about and yet no one has said a single thing about the contractors themselves.

sleepy1212
July 7th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Sub contractors also share a very large portion of responsibility.
BP maybe the parent company of the rig, but if the sub-contractors hadn't been cutting corners a lot of this wouldn't have happened.

Phase to phase movement requires the approval of federal inspectors and management approval. Not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that there are a few guilty parties.

Limited
July 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Can't speak for everyone but I don't think regular people are specifically blaming Britain as opposed to BP and TO, and don't forget about the federal inspectors who are supposed to be in charge of this shit.

However, Obama may want to. He did return the Churchill bust and his grandfather was tortured (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/deadlineusa/2008/dec/03/obama-grandfather-maumau-torture) by the British during their occupation of Kenya. Some people think he has a major beef with them because of that.
I understand not every one is, however the problem is, the important people in the world, the people that have power do.

Yes, I know about Obama's grandfather, he was stationed 20 miles away from where I live.

Right now, we are hardly getting any information about the spill in the news, the only time we do it is very bad news.

=sw=warlord
July 8th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Phase to phase movement requires the approval of federal inspectors and management approval. Not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that there are a few guilty parties.

The workers are also required to perform a thorough risk assessment before every major job, if a full risk assessment had been done, the accident would have been foreseen and averted.
Trust me, Instrumentation was just one subject I had to study for my diploma in engineering.

sleepy1212
July 8th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I think the US administration is up for some fishy alliances and possibly discarding the traditional ones, like Britain and Israel, making this problem a good way to start the bashing. Right now, however, i think they're more focused on internal politics surrounding the oil spill. They already lost the [retarded] moratorium in the courts so we're really just waiting to see what's next.

I haven't seen much in the news lately either. ever since Desert Storm it seems like there's this unwritten rule of "don't report on anything for more than a week or viewers will get bored" plus, Lindsey Lohan is in court...who gives a fuck about oil!?

The workers are also required to perform a thorough risk assessment before every major job, if a full risk assessment had been done, the accident would have been foreseen and averted.
Trust me, Instrumentation was just one subject I had to study for my diploma in engineering.

Awesome, I work for an engineering firm. We can't sneeze without a signature from the state. Like I said, not disagreeing with you, I'm sure your right. But there is heavy bureaucracy involved in these things. For example, not only the designs for the cap have to be approved, but so does the final product, typically verified visually or by an as-built schematic. In other words, there is supposed to be redundancy in the quality inspection and there apparently wasn't or just full scale negligence on all parties.

Dwood
July 9th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Someone was handed money and that's all that ever matters in gvt.

Cojafoji
July 9th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Good news is: BP exec says best case scenario is full stoppage by the end of July.

*sniff sniff* Anyone else smell bullshit?

=sw=warlord
July 9th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Good news is: BP exec says best case scenario is full stoppage by the end of July.

*sniff sniff* Anyone else smell bullshit?

Not really, that is the best case, but we all know by now that won't happen so it won't be the best case.

Cojafoji
July 9th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Not really, that is the best case, but we all know by now that won't happen so it won't be the best case.
Are you out of high school yet? I mean, if you are, how did you make it? You seem to lack the ability of reading comprehension.

=sw=warlord
July 9th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Are you out of high school yet? I mean, if you are, how did you make it? You seem to lack the ability of reading comprehension.
I'm wondering the same thing about you actually.
you have the best case, something to aim towards and then you have worse case which is what is currently happening.
Best case scenario would be that the leakage would be halted by end of this month by which ever tools their currently working on along with all the other procedures they need to follow, but as we all know simply capping the leak won't solve the oil already floating in the ocean.

There's a company over here who have devised a piece of equipment which "soaks" up up surface oil but so far neither BP nor the US government has shown any sign of interest.
You seem to be thinking extremely black and white here, their "best case scenario" doe's not constitute that the oil will be swept up over night and you would be foolish to think so.

Cojafoji
July 9th, 2010, 01:31 PM
You're trying to imply that my statement had broader implications, rather than just accepting that it was geared towards a general stoppage of oil pouring into the gulf. Having the leak plugged is the best case scenario here. It had nothing to do with the oil cleanup effort. Nothing at all.

paladin
July 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Well, in May, they were saying mid-August would be whent he relief well would be finished. Last week they were only about 20ft horizontally from the well, but they can only drill about 1 ft a day be cause they have to repeatedly bring up the drill and send down location devices.

Bodzilla
July 11th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Yeah that's exactly the questions my parents have been asking - ultimately BP is the parent company, but those were rigs crewed with American staff and as far as I know with American equipment, yet it's all the UK's fault apparently.

as far as i know they had a meeting before it exploded and a BP representative went against the workers recommendations to shut off the oil supply to fix it.
It really is BP's fault.

SnaFuBAR
July 11th, 2010, 10:56 AM
BP refused saftey equipment. Like it was said, they control the way things go. Ultimately, BP's decisions are the cause of the spill. BP is also responsible for many more oil spills and worker deaths than just this disaster. Those numbers, afaik, have not been reported in the media.

sdavis117
July 11th, 2010, 12:18 PM
From safety violations alone BP's negligence has led to the death of at least 58 people.

sleepy1212
July 16th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Subsea operational update: The well integrity test on the MC252 well commenced today; full closure of the choke valve occurred at approximately 2:25pm. Currently the well remains shut-in with no oil flowing into the Gulf; any significant change to this operation will be announced via a press release

check it (http://www.bp.com/bodycopyarticle.do?categoryId=1&contentId=7052055&nicam=USCSBaselineCrisis&nisrc=Google&nigrp=Branded_Crisis_Management-_General&niadv=General&nipkw=bp_biofuels)

Jean-Luc
July 16th, 2010, 07:09 AM
check it (http://www.bp.com/bodycopyarticle.do?categoryId=1&contentId=7052055&nicam=USCSBaselineCrisis&nisrc=Google&nigrp=Branded_Crisis_Management-_General&niadv=General&nipkw=bp_biofuels)
I was thrilled when I heard this yesterday. They've been busting their asses to fix the problem so here's hoping the cap holds.

Dwood
July 16th, 2010, 04:50 PM
And BP comes through. Now, I just hope that all we do is increase the amount of inspections on when they start drilling, not stop all gulf drilling completely.

FRain
July 16th, 2010, 05:44 PM
^
As much as I am for all sorts of alternative fuel/energy, it's ridiculous to think they could do something as simple as that without having major, and I mean MAJOR economic and financial problems.
Obviously, it would be nice to have non-drill based forms of energy but we already rely so much on it, that we have to be more cautious than that.

paladin
July 16th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Quick, while its capped, Chernobyl its ass

sleepy1212
July 16th, 2010, 11:29 PM
it's ridiculous to think they could do something as simple as that without having major, and I mean MAJOR economic and financial problems.

6% of US GDP

Cojafoji
July 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Quick, while its capped, Chernobyl its ass
Just need 800,000, nameless, faceless volunteers! We'll need to think of an appropriate name for them as well. Something awesome, because we can't re-use "The Liquidators".