PDA

View Full Version : 3d Bitmaps

malolo420
May 7th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Ok, you know in halo 3 how they have those 3d bitmaps on I think epitah? Like those holes in the walls with the 3d holographs.
Inferno simulated it with a bunch of layers of 1 texture on I think Circle Pit.

But when you open a bitmap file in guerrilla you have the choice of, 2d textures, 3d textures, cubemaps, sprites, interface bitmaps.
Does the option 3d textures do the same thing as in halo 3.

Sorry I guess I should have messed around with it myself but I gotta head to bed, and I don't want to forget.
I just got reminded of it now, and was wondering.

neuro
May 7th, 2010, 04:28 AM
what?

annihilation
May 7th, 2010, 05:04 AM
You mean bump maps?

I don't recall ever seeing 3D bitmaps.
E: Nevermind, yes I do. I don't know the answer though since I've never messed with those.

Mythril
May 7th, 2010, 05:39 AM
3D textures afaik is used only for the shield plasma bitmap.

Con
May 7th, 2010, 09:52 AM
The halo 3 holograms probably use some special shader to pull that off.

=sw=warlord
May 7th, 2010, 10:47 AM

I always thought those holograms were done with planes that had volumes so once entered they would change to a effect.

malolo420
May 7th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hey, does anyone know where I can get the version of tool that compiles anything no matter what or how many errors you have?

Con
May 7th, 2010, 08:17 PM
You should just fix the errors :-3

malolo420
May 8th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I think its because of too many polygons. I added the scenery straight into the BSP and its poly count is massive. can't remember how big it is, but I'll post next time I open max.

Edit: And its not apart of overdose, Its a little side project I started yesterday. DMT-Paintball, I made a little area with sandbox and ported it to CE, going to make realistic woodsball guns, like most of the tippmann guns for example.
I'm a paintball fan :)

Edit2: I wanted the scenery in the map so the paintball splatters would go on everything. And I'm, pretty sure if I use it, the error wont really affect it.
Its called toolio, its here on modacity but the download link doesn't have the file on the server anymore.

annihilation
May 8th, 2010, 01:54 AM
This is what you want.
http://www.krueger.webuda.com/TOOLIO/toolio.zip

Tbh you're better off fixing the errors. You're just increasing the possiblity of an exception.
Tool gives you erros for a reason etc.

jcap
May 8th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Everyone (except Con) is referring to something different in this thread. He means the flat, transparent pieces of geometry that look like they have depth. These can be seen in the ceiling and on the walls of Epitaph. The red and blue columns in Sandbox also have this effect. Another location to see this on The Covenant, RIGHT after you activate the light bridge and walk into the structure, BEFORE the cutscene triggers.

DEElekgolo
May 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM
This.
It uses a parallax method, it can be done in unreal as well.
You can simulate the effect in halo CE by having a bunch of planes with the same texture behind one another.

malolo420
May 8th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks, and yeah when I find time I'll fix the errors, this is just for a little side project that I'm rushing.

Edit: Ok it still wont compile my BSP.
The error says "couldn't allocate subclusters," and I'm guessing its because I have to many polygons and no portals.
The map is + 70, 000 polys, but that's only because I put a bunch of tree's into the bsp instead of adding them as scenery.

Guess I'll try adding portals in and if there's still to many polygons for a bsp I'll add them in as scenery.

neuro
May 9th, 2010, 03:20 AM
it's a parallax shader they use, with a few iterations to give the depth effect.

annihilation
May 9th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Oh, that's what he's talking about.
It's offset bump mapping.

It changes the shape made by normal maps by altering the UVs.

You can simulate the effect in halo CE by having a bunch of planes with the same texture behind one another.

malolo420
May 9th, 2010, 10:31 AM
3D textures afaik is used only for the shield plasma bitmap.

Alright thanks, what does is it actually used for though? Like I know shield plasma bitmap, but what does it do to it?

This.
It uses a parallax method, it can be done in unreal as well.

Yeah I know.

Inferno simulated it with a bunch of layers of 1 texture on I think Circle Pit.

SnaFuBAR
May 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM
malolo this is your help thread now. just cleaning up forum clutter. You have 3 threads on the first page (one which is a trailer so i left it seperate). please use this thread from now on for questions/help.

malolo420
May 10th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Ok cool, thank you snaf.