PDA

View Full Version : UK General election day

=sw=warlord
May 7th, 2010, 08:12 AM
So yesterday was the big day in politics for the United Kingdom.
Quote from wiki:
The United Kingdom general election of 2010 was held on 6 May to elect one Member of Parliament in each of the 650 constituencies to the House of Commons, the lower house of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. The election was more than five years after the previous election. Voting took place between 7:00 am and 10:00 pm. Local elections were also held in some areas on the same day.
So far the result seem like there will be a hung parliament which in laymen's terms means two political parties will share power.
click here for wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_2010)
I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been discussed here before now seeing as I know I'm not the only person from the UK here, but these thing's happen.
anyway, discuss.

Cojafoji
May 7th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Looks like the conservatives picked up 306 seats, Labour picked up 262 seats and the Lib Dems picked up 55 seats. It shouldn't take much to lure some of the others with candy, or promises of something in order to form a working government. This is good news for Britain, as part of the conservative ticket was to seriously lessen the police state attitude (remove cctv's etc).

CN3089
May 7th, 2010, 09:57 AM
The Lib Dems lost seats? Hahahaha, first past the post owns

Limited
May 7th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Really dont give a shit to be honest, they are all incompetent fools that spew out aload of bollocks.

I didnt vote, been too busy with my life, its been a manic past 2 weeks. As long as BNP or labor dont win I'll be happy :D

Warsaw
May 7th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Really dont give a shit to be honest, they are all incompetent fools that spew out aload of bollocks.

I didnt vote, been too busy with my life, its been a manic past 2 weeks. As long as BNP or labor dont win I'll be happy :D

That's a pretty universal attitude in most major republics/democracies/constitutional monarchies. We are all fed up with our respective legislative bodies.

Limited
May 7th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Well with all the expensive scandals that have happened in the UK politics last year, I don't know who to trust, I lost all faith in politicians.

Warsaw
May 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
You had faith in politicians to begin with? I applaud your willingness to trust. I wouldn't have even gone that far.

Malloy
May 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Conservatives can go die. Cameron already pissed Obama off with his fuckin stupid pro iraq war bumbandit attitude. They're all greedy bastards and anyone who justifies their policies is either deluded in the light of greater good... or a greedy self satisfying piece of shit who wants to widen the social class divide between the british public to feed their economic dominative ego and feel superior to others.

Also... scrapping inheritance tax. WTF greedy much, that tax goes to pay for public sectors (hospitals, cleaning services) but no... lets keep it in the family so our friggin relatives can continue their greedy exploitive lives for self profit. Sod it if you're gonna be that anal about it just keep the genes in the family like the old monarchs used to. That'd sum the conservatives up for a slogan... 'Vote conservative... we keep private companies rich and recycle genes'

Labour/LibDem coalition or the assassination of David Cameron... either of those and I am happy.

Cojafoji
May 7th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Labour/LibDem coalition or the assassination of David Cameron... either of those and I am happy.
Overthrow your government if you're that upset. No, really.

Malloy
May 8th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Create a new thread 'I think i'm really funny' if you're going to post a sarcastic response like that. No, really.

Cojafoji
May 8th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I, uh, was being serious. That's why I said no really. I mean, it's either that or hit the street corner every weekend with the trusty old soapbox, or you could run for office. If you're so sick of the situation, change it. That's all I was trying to say. If you want/need to change it, then you shouldn't have any problems taking it all the way.

Dwood
May 8th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Inheritance tax... Most people spend the money they get or put it into bank accounts which are taxed... I don't know what you're talking about Malloy but inheritance tax removal would actually bolster the economy because most people either spend it or bank it. Which, through either of those methods, it's still taxed one way or the other.

Edit: Also, I don't really know anything about British elections but 5 years for a person in Parliament is wayyy too long. Here in America, they run every 2 years, keeping them from doing too much damage.

Malloy
May 8th, 2010, 08:44 AM
@Dwood: Theres pros and cons what ever way you look at it, i'd rather public sectors get more support helping the people than boosting the banks which helps those more who have loads of money than those struggling in society.

@Cojafoji: Oh, you've -repped me on some trivial shit in the past so i thought you were just an arogant son of a bitch. My bad. Yeah well starting a new party and rallying new supporters takes too long in this shithole of a country. The mass population only vote from what they've skim read on a newspaper headline 'Down with Brown' (Gordon Brown, UK PM) is the typical 'Sun' (british newspaper for idiots) headline and you have all the stupid thick as shit people voting based on media representation which is mostly biased and organised by Rupert Murdock... whos been a propaganda player for years. He obviously wanted conservatives to win this year hence all the slander against the other parties. Only way to make instant change is lots and lots of explosives ha ha but no one will get away with a Guy Fawkes re enactment. :\

Warsaw
May 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Edit: Also, I don't really know anything about British elections but 5 years for a person in Parliament is wayyy too long. Here in America, they run every 2 years, keeping them from doing too much damage.

What a joke. They run every two years, sure, but the majority of them get reelected because nobody gives a shit. What they need is a cap on the number of consecutive terms they can have. Of course, they would never pass an amendment like that because it means putting themselves out of a job (like they need the money), but that's what needs to be done.

Dwood
May 9th, 2010, 09:14 AM
What a joke. They run every two years, sure, but the majority of them get reelected because nobody gives a shit. What they need is a cap on the number of consecutive terms they can have. Of course, they would never pass an amendment like that because it means putting themselves out of a job (like they need the money), but that's what needs to be done.

It wouldn't matter if they were still appointed by the States, and not 'the people'. There's a reason America's founding fathers wanted the appointment of senators by the State governments. It makes the congressmen accountable for what they do, and gives people better reason to vote in state congress + governor elections because of that. No congressman would have served half as long as they do today without that amendment.

That said there's no removing that or adding term limits.

Warsaw
May 9th, 2010, 07:21 PM
No, that would have been just as bad because it would eventually degenerate into a bunch of politicians partaking in an even bigger circle jerk than they already have going on.

CN3089
May 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM
So Gordon Brown is resigning, apparently "as part of [a] deal to keep [the] Labour party in power."

CNN might just be making that last part up though, since I haven't been able to find any more information on that supposed deal.

Cojafoji
May 10th, 2010, 05:52 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/election_2010/8672859.stm