PDA

View Full Version : Ultra-super-mega-uber-realistic blood effects (and a couple of needler things)

Ifafudafi
May 11th, 2010, 09:44 PM
ljWIj8qNfZo
(and here's a link in case the player doesn't show up) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljWIj8qNfZo)

ya

Anyway, now that the worst parts of the school year are finally dying down and I'm done grading all the essays, I've had time to resume work on Plasma Pack 3. I've got all the weapon concepts down. Here's what I've got so far:

Needler
Needles will not penetrate shields and will detonate on impact. It takes 8 needles to pop shields. If you can stick at least 7 needles in an unshielded target, they supercombine, resulting in instant death for the victim.

Effects have changed little since the last thread (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20387), but I've got a better post-explosion smoke sequence in.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6479/needler1.jpg
Which turns into:
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/86/needler2.jpg

Impaler
Mid/mid-long range weapon with 4X zoom. Launches hitscan speed needles in a very accurate spread (just a little more accurate than the pistol) at 2.5 rounds per second. You need 12 needles to finish a target; five to pop the shields and seven more to whittle down the health. However, it's a headshot weapon, meaning it's a 5sk for good shooters; or, if you can latch in 7 needles before any of them detonate, you'll get an insta-killing supercombine.

The muzzle flash was shown at the relevant blog entry, but since that's down, I've put it here. There's also a shot of the WIP supercombine. I'm still working on what will comprise the core of that one.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3576/impalerscreen.jpg
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/1049/impaler1.jpg

Eviscerator
Mid-range only weapon. Launches 15 fairly slow-moving needles in a very wide cone which then home in on a targer you're aiming at. 1 burst per second. If you're too close, the needles won't home in fast enough to the target and will go around it; if you're too far, they'll detonate before they reach. But if you can nail the range, it's lethal. It takes just under two burst (providing all the needles hit) to kill a guy. Needles will occasionally overpenetrate the target, and will bounce off walls and such.

I haven't made a dedicated effort at the visuals for this one, but the gameplay function is in place.

Yeah expect updates a little more frequently than last time, I want to get this thing done before the end of the month

Donut
May 11th, 2010, 10:08 PM
ooooo theyre so hi res. they kind of look out of place with the default ce stuff though.

holy jesus those particles look awesome though

Hotrod
May 12th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Wow, that's just so beautiful. Brought a tear to me eye ;)

annihilation
May 12th, 2010, 09:48 AM
That's a shitload of blood. Ha, I love it!

Also, nice song.

Llama Juice
May 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Or at least a scholar with bitchin particle effects.

n00b1n8R
May 12th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I almost died laughing at your video in the middle of a lecture. :lmao:

Ifafudafi
May 12th, 2010, 08:25 PM
update

The Needler is finished. Here's a demonstration of its new particles & behavior. The Impaler's also done, except for the fact that it needs a zoom mask (that shouldn't take long.) I'm beginning work on the last weapon's particles.

Make sure to watch in HQ and post if you don't like something about it so I can fix it.

8XsItRevyXQ
also link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XsItRevyXQ)

Cagerrin
May 12th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Needler supercombine explosion seems too fast. I half-blinked and missed it the first time.

jcap
May 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I agree that the explosions are a little too fast. They need to fizzle out more.

Hunter
May 12th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Sexy particle effects, I like the motion of the trail on the needles.

Con
May 12th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I like the particles, but the explosion is too fast. I also don't like the expanding ring in it and how the violent explosion leaves some rather boring and static puffs of smoke behind. They should be expanding out to follow the first phase.

n00b1n8R
May 12th, 2010, 11:33 PM
The smoke after the needler explosion is weird (see Con's post) and the ring blast isn't there long enough.
The second gun's lightning looks.. wrong. Like it's just flying off nowhere. Lightning doesn't work that way.

Ifafudafi
May 13th, 2010, 08:16 PM
needler update

bSS8fYGokg8
link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSS8fYGokg8)

This any better?

Inferno
May 13th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Much much better. Love that effect breham.

You should get into unreal. Do a effects pack for that game : )

Ifafudafi
May 13th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I looked at the UEK, its particle editor makes no sense and its material editor is even worse

I'll stick to engines that don't actively try to make things difficult; mabye when CE3 comes out I can start modding for an engine that isn't dead

Inferno
May 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I looked at the UEK, its particle editor makes no sense and its material editor is even worse

I'll stick to engines that don't actively try to make things difficult; mabye when CE3 comes out I can start modding for an engine that isn't dead

I've never used the particle editor but the material editor is the most fluent shader builder I've ever used. Crysis and Halo shaders don't got shit on unreal shaders.

t3h m00kz
May 14th, 2010, 12:17 AM

I thought the same thing about CE when I made the move from PC. It just takes experience.

As for this stuff, I like the impaler, but the explosion bitmap seems to just pop in and disappear. I'd suggest having a bit of a fade-out.

Needler is fucking sexy

n00b1n8R
May 14th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Still not a fan of the random pink smoke that just hovers there but otherwise it's much better. :)

Phlakes
May 14th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I see no credit for my crosshairs. Or any credit in any threads for the other crosshairs/textures/zoom masks. Oh that reminds me, zoom mask for Impaler coming soon.

Roostervier
May 14th, 2010, 07:55 PM
he isn't releasing the crosshairs and he isn't claiming they're his? ...i don't see your point.

Ifafudafi
May 14th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I thought the same thing about CE when I made the move from PC. It just takes experience.

I moved to CE without a hitch. Save a couple of fields (and fucking around with tool) it's easy to understand. Same with CE2's particle editor. Not so much with UEK. It's just too complicated for my pathetic mind

As for this stuff, I like the impaler, but the explosion bitmap seems to just pop in and disappear. I'd suggest having a bit of a fade-out.

tbqh I wasn't very satisfied with it either, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. Still trying to figure out what to do about that, but in the mean time, I've got the third weapon pretty much done (unless anyone thinks it sucks):

JmwD088p4vY
link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmwD088p4vY)

I can't figure out how to get the fucking needles that are part of the FP model to stop thinking that the gun has 20 rounds in the clip; I'm pretty sure it's attached to the .model_animations and I can't change it through tag fields, but if anyone knows otherwise, tell me

Mythril
May 15th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Looks great, love the concept behind it.

p0lar_bear
May 15th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I can't figure out how to get the fucking needles that are part of the FP model to stop thinking that the gun has 20 rounds in the clip; I'm pretty sure it's attached to the .model_animations and I can't change it through tag fields, but if anyone knows otherwise, tell me

That is part of the model animations, so you would need a fresh batch of needler FP anims to get that to work right.

I see no credit for my crosshairs. Or any credit in any threads for the other crosshairs/textures/zoom masks. Oh that reminds me, zoom mask for Impaler coming soon.

Credit would be nice if it's due, but it's been established numerous times already that this ain't much more than a hobby and trying to establish yourself as the "owner" of assets is a lost cause.

Hunter
May 15th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I like that above concept (Post 21), but it should be on like a covy sniper so people can be shot at a distance and once the needles get close to each other they should speed up, so that it is more of a sniper.

Ifafudafi
May 17th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I like that above concept (Post 21), but it should be on like a covy sniper so people can be shot at a distance and once the needles get close to each other they should speed up, so that it is more of a sniper.

The role of long-range weapon is already taken by the Impaler; I wanted a more short-range variant, but you can do whatever you want with the tags upon release

Which should be in a day or less. I'm done. I've done all I can with this shit short of going insane from the mundanity. The Imapler's not quite where I wanted it to be effect-wise, but it's still close. The other two other weapons are sex, so I'm cleaning & packing tags right now. Expect a formal trailer and a release tomorrow.

Pooky
May 19th, 2010, 12:09 AM

I may be talking out of my ass, but couldn't you make it so the weapon does have a 20 round mag, but also make the weapon use more than 1 round per shot? Perhaps 4 rounds per shot for 5 shots total?

Cagerrin
May 19th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I may be talking out of my ass, but couldn't you make it so the weapon does have a 20 round mag, but also make the weapon use more than 1 round per shot? Perhaps 4 rounds per shot for 5 shots total?
This makes a lot of sense, especially as it allows for standardized needle ammo. What'd be really sweet is different models for each gun, but idk if Ifafudafi models at all.

ICEE
May 19th, 2010, 12:21 AM
If you get models for these, I promise you I will put aside some time to animate them for you.

Ifafudafi
May 22nd, 2010, 12:10 AM
If you get models for these, I promise you I will put aside some time to animate them for you.

Can't model. At all. I don't think anyone who can still mods for HCE but w/e

It's done and uploaded. When a mod approves it'll be in the release section.