PDA

View Full Version : Help with command lists and AI driving vehicles

DarkHalo003
May 22nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Basically, I'm trying to use a command list to have a biped (ai driver) get into a warthog and drive the warthog flawlessly to the stop point. However, I'm having several issues with the second part. I can get the AI driver into the Warthog's driver seat, but he won't drive the hog, only turn its wheels. If anyone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it immensely and I'll try to +rep (if my rep is even any good). I have about 14 points total and they're all spaced fairly well across the area from the right side of one of the Deathisland bases all of the way to the other base. If pics are needed for the scale and length and crap, just say so.

And does anyone know the basic length/width/height or whatever of a World Unit in the Halo Custom Edition Engine? :v:

chrisk123999
May 22nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
There used to be a tutorial on the halomaps forums. As best as I can remember, you have to modify the warthog tag to make the marine think he is flying.

Higuy
May 22nd, 2010, 09:08 PM
There used to be a tutorial on the halomaps forums. As best as I can remember, you have to modify the warthog tag to make the marine think he is flying.
I think you need to set it to a ghost or whatever vehicle type, the marines were able to drive those in the original.

jcap
May 22nd, 2010, 09:20 PM
I think this might help you: http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2298

DarkHalo003
May 22nd, 2010, 09:24 PM
I think you need to set it to a ghost or whatever vehicle type, the marines were able to drive those in the original.
Well Marines have the animations to do so for the Warthog. I did get a marine to drive a ghost for my old, rugged ODST_SP mod (officially unreleased) and I'm wondering why it worked, but the warthog won't. I'll look at the tags from that vehicle from that one scenario with the warthog tags in the new scenario. See if that works.

laghing_rabt
May 22nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
yeah the warthog is simply not set up to be driven by an AI.

DarkHalo003
May 22nd, 2010, 10:52 PM
Good news everyone!

Well sort of, I got my AI driver to at least attempt to drive by the points I've assigned him and although I realize for an AI to understand and properly know not drive off the side of a cliff, I've reached a state to where my biggest issue involves my driver either driving off said cliff (moving in direction of the point) or moving past a point (go to point) and then deciding to turn back around to the previous point only to just drive off the cliff 3 meters away from the point. My points are set right, so I'm wondering if it's the steering bounds or turning elements of my Warthog tag. I think it might also be the way in which I'm telling it to reach my points. Either way, suggestions would help for this. (THIS IS WHERE KNOWING WHAT ON EARTH A WORLD UNIT IS IN HALO IS DELIBERATELY USEFUL!)

malolo420
May 23rd, 2010, 12:17 AM
I have an idea for it to go to the next point, put a trigger volume on the moving point and script it so when he drives onto that he gets switched to a different squad with the only moving position to be the next one you'd have in line, then continue.

DarkHalo003
May 23rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
I have an idea for it to go to the next point, put a trigger volume on the moving point and script it so when he drives onto that he gets switched to a different squad with the only moving position to be the next one you'd have in line, then continue.
Well that could work, but I'm mainly trying to get it done with command lists right now, for starters.

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!

I just figured out for fact that it is indeed the Warthog tag itself that cause my AI driver to be a terrible one. I replaced the warthog with a ghost and he performed the command nearly flawlessly. I'm going to attempt to work on a warthog-ghost mimic later and see how far I get, then work from there.

malolo420
May 23rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
So you got him to drive to exactly where you wanted him too, in a set order? Cool dude, I tried to do that once but when it didn't work first try I didn't bother to try again.

DarkHalo003
May 23rd, 2010, 05:05 PM
So you got him to drive to exactly where you wanted him too, in a set order? Cool dude, I tried to do that once but when it didn't work first try I didn't bother to try again.
Only with the Ghost, though. I tried the same with a modified Warthog, but no dice. I'm going to try it with a Spectre (since it's more like a Warthog) and I'll see how that goes.

DarkHalo003
May 23rd, 2010, 06:18 PM
Only with the Ghost, though. I tried the same with a modified Warthog, but no dice. I'm going to try it with a Spectre (since it's more like a Warthog) and I'll see how that goes.
This is more of an update than a bump. I'm also asking for a bit more help on part of my script too. Anyways, the Spectre works as well as the ghost does, so I'm wondering if AI just like Floating Vehicles in general. Either way, I'm presented with a few problems:

1.) How do I script it so that when I enter the gunner seat, the AI knows to drive on. In other words, what script would I use that would trigger (ai_command_list_advance_by_unit) only when I enter the gunner seat? I've tried the script (vehicle_test_seat_list warthogness "gunner" (players))10), but it ended up not working in the end.

2.) How can I make it to where the AI steers away from cliff walls and more towards a central path of the points I've given it? Can I make it so that the AI can break or slow down when it is reaching a turn for the next point?

Dwood
May 23rd, 2010, 10:18 PM
WU = 1 foot or 1 meter irl, can't remember.

FRain
May 24th, 2010, 12:12 AM
10 WU = 1 foot. MC = 7 feet tall. MC = 70 WU's

Oh wait, shit, that's MAX units. I believe 1 WU = 1 meter in Halo Units

DarkHalo003
May 26th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Okay, assuming you're correct and not sarcastic, thank you FRain and Dwood.

It seems that the warthog itself is simply the issue only with my Command List. The Ghost and Spectre both run it very well and I've decided that I'm putting releasing a working warthog for command lists by the top of my nearly Infinite To-Do list. Unless someone else has made one, I think having one out into the community will help create more flow and creativity with WTF moments causing discouragement. It may decrease the amount of work people do, but hey, it's one of those things you don't expect to get in the way now is it?

Donut
May 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM
i thought one world unit was the length of 4 warthogs back to back.

DarkHalo003
May 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
More Good News Everyone!

Thanks to Gamma, I now have a good base for a command list warthog to use. I'm going to tweak it some more and hopefully I can make it so that the driver doesn't look like Spongebob or half-drunk when driving. Heck, I might be able to get a video up if I can have enough RAM on my computer freed while filming.

DarkHalo003
May 29th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Happy Saturday Folks!

Here is a bit of an update with the quest of command list power:

-Warthog is officially done as far as basic functionality is concerned. The only thing that would really need tuning is it's ability to TURN AROUND, but I don't know if that is possible.

-I'm working on getting a C Dropship complete for command list use. IF anyone has used Dropships with command lists before, your wisdom would be very much useful. My Spirit Dropship is flying in circles (literally). The points it needs to reach are in the air, however, and I think I might have the remedy for it by simply changing the type of commands I give it.

-When I get back later, I'm going to work on a Banshee flyby and have those banshees break out of the command list and end up trying to remove your warthog from the top of the island of Deathisland (test BSP I'm using). You use a Rocket Warthog in an advanced path. I'm also trying to get it to loop around the top parts of the island, but so far it gets stuck with reaching certain points due to displacement of the wheels and its inability to turn around.

If you can help, it'd be very much appreciated.