PDA

View Full Version : Information sharing: Evil. Y/n?

ICEE
May 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I'm getting pretty sick of the way facebook and google and youtube treat my information.

I noticed that when my FB profile "interests" is set to women and "relationship" is set to single I get all kinds of bullshit "MEET HOT BABES IN WALNUT CREEK" ads, and when I null those areas I do not get those ads. This means that facebook is tailoring the ads to who they apply to, which I consider to be an abuse of my information. Furthermore, I keep getting friend suggestions for seemingly random people who I have never met and have no friends in common (most of them are from venezuela.. which is wierd). I'm sure this means that I am showing up on random people's suggestion shit too. It is probably because they have some profile factor in common with me. this pisses me off, info that I put into my profile should not be saved as a variable and used. Fuck.

Youtube has this suggestion shit that it comes up with, showing me who has an account with the site that I have emailed previously on the email address that I registered my youtube account with. (NOTE: I have not synced this gmail account to youtube, despite its attempts to force me to) This means that Google is sharing my email information with youtube, and comparing. I don't give a flying fuck if its for my convenience, it is pissing me off.

Anyone else have similar grievances?

Futzy
May 24th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Google's ads are text sensitive, that's not facebook. Use adblock.

Timo
May 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM
meh, credit card companies do the same. Brings up stuff that is generally relevant to my interests, but then again i've never clicked a google ad.

DEElekgolo
May 24th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Last time I saw an ad on the internet was 2008. Back when I didn't have adblockplus.

Futzy
May 24th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Last time I saw an ad on the internet was 2008. Back when I didn't have adblockplus.

Cojafoji
May 25th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Information sharing is fine, as long as you're upfront about it. Bait 'n switch's are not cool as well, as with FB, just keep getting rid of privacy bit by bit.

rossmum
May 25th, 2010, 05:08 AM
fuck anyone who distributes my information without asking my permission first

especially you facebook. don't think i don't see what you're doing with your... 'upgrades' :mad:

Dwood
May 25th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Just keep your phone #s and addresses as your info. get rid of the rest. :P

sleepy1212
May 25th, 2010, 07:40 AM
create spam emails. most of mine are afaik and registered under bob dole etc...

Cojafoji
May 25th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I agree with sleepy. I use about 5 gmail accounts for filtering. May sound paranoid, but the less I trust something, the more likely I am to give it a spam account.

Donut
May 29th, 2010, 01:30 AM
its because youre on facebook and youtube, the two biggest self-troll websites ever.

seriously though, dont put your info online like that. fucking facebook... also will download adblocker

n00b1n8R
May 31st, 2010, 12:40 AM
Paranoia about shit like this and what I've seen anon's do with seemingly innocent FB details is why I don't have one.

That am I'm too non-conformist to even consider it~

Cojafoji
May 31st, 2010, 01:38 AM
http://www.reclaimprivacy.org/