PDA

View Full Version : Ifafudafi sounds like a 14-year-old (campaign mod stuff)

Ifafudafi
June 9th, 2010, 12:16 AM
There's an official thread (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?21879) now, so you guys can ignore this one. All future updates will go there.

My approach to particle effects and a profile of a weapon.

6/23 - Particle overview/Plasma Pistol
D0jQjWzayBw
Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0jQjWzayBw)

---

6/16 - Arsenal overview
mYmc8cKCIUw
Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYmc8cKCIUw)

---

6/9 - Blood effects
NnHAjz_fgqQ
Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnHAjz_fgqQ)

Cortexian
June 9th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Was this for school or something? It's very explanatory, something I would expect in a Multimedia project.

Ifafudafi
June 9th, 2010, 12:49 AM
I teach school goddamnit, I knew this stupid thing would make me seem like a kid

No, I simply prefer explaining the things I do to people rather than just release videos and have everyone think "OOH MAGIC." I've always appreciated it when developers get into how they make their shit.

ThePlague
June 9th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I liked it. Very informative.

Timo
June 9th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I always imagined you sounding like the cool old guys in your avatars. I'm disappointed :[.

e: Cool stuff though, I always thought Bungie pushed the engine to its limits, but obviously not!

t3h m00kz
June 9th, 2010, 01:55 AM
cool shit.

Wish I had gotten into particle effects back when this game was at it's prime, but unfortunately didn't happen.

sevlag
June 9th, 2010, 06:21 AM
what about weapons such as the rocket launcher, how big would the decal (if any) would it leave behind, as you showed the sniper left behind a nice sized decal

anyways, looks good and it was informative

Kiwibird
June 9th, 2010, 08:31 AM
That's pretty cool. It's always the little details that make the whole thing that much better. I like how you narrated it, keeps it interesting. I think I'll have to start doing this for my videos (if I make any).

PenGuin1362
June 9th, 2010, 11:25 AM
hey its kiwi.

nice effects

DarkHalo003
June 11th, 2010, 09:18 PM
cool shit.

Wish I had gotten into particle effects back when this game was at it's prime, but unfortunately didn't happen.
Define prime. I think of now as the prime time for beginners. That or in 06.

Ifafudafi, I like how the blood splats against the wall, but I think there should be a bit more on the ground, considering your tearing through flesh with shredder bullets and blasting away skinning with sheering magnetic fire.

Higuy
June 11th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Define prime. I think of now as the prime time for beginners. That or in 06.

Ifafudafi, I like how the blood splats against the wall, but I think there should be a bit more on the ground, considering your tearing through flesh with shredder bullets and blasting away skinning with sheering magnetic fire.
halo ce's golden age = 07 - 08

Ifafudafi
June 11th, 2010, 11:22 PM
what about weapons such as the rocket launcher, how big would the decal (if any) would it leave behind, as you showed the sniper left behind a nice sized decal

The rocket falls under "explosions" and therefore uses the same shared AOE effect as melee attacks and splatters. I can make direct hits leave huge decals, but I'm still not sure whether I like that or not.

I like how the blood splats against the wall, but I think there should be a bit more on the ground, considering your tearing through flesh with shredder bullets and blasting away skinning with sheering magnetic fire.

Most of the splats on the ground come from the drops; the gravity ones are simply there to ensure you see something. Personally, I think there's already a ton of crap flying around.

Still, I added in something awesome yesterday: Dead corpses now leave blood pools. I'll have some screenshots later.

I'm also working on polishing enough content to release a video overviewing stuff with weapons; this'll just be a quick rundown, but I'll probably put out more detailed ones later on. It should be done by Wedenesday.

sevlag
June 11th, 2010, 11:26 PM
best to leave a medium to large decal for explosions then i guess

as for the golden age of CE, it ended after the sharp drop

Dontu
June 11th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I love the small squirts of blood and small splotches of blood left from the negative incident of the bullet impact, however i doubt we would be seeing such blood splotches unless the bullet would be traveling through the entire body of the target. Also the sniper looks exceptionally gratifying to use and kudos for blood pools, I can somewhat imagine how you would do it but I have a feeling its going to be awesome :) , too bad i can't run decals :( . btw nice little informative vid and keep it up!

n00b1n8R
June 12th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Is gibing possible in the halo engine for specific attacks? I know you can do it to flood but if you could somehow send a marine flying in 3 directions after a rocket, that'd be pretty awesome.

TeeKup
June 12th, 2010, 04:21 AM
halo ce's golden age = 05 - 07

There you go.

Higuy
June 12th, 2010, 07:37 AM
There you go.
err, ok yes 05, but definitely till like 08. A lot of really good stuff was still being produced till then.

TeeKup
June 12th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I'll accept that. Those were the days. :-3
/oldfag

DarkHalo003
June 12th, 2010, 08:49 AM
The rocket falls under "explosions" and therefore uses the same shared AOE effect as melee attacks and splatters. I can make direct hits leave huge decals, but I'm still not sure whether I like that or not.

Most of the splats on the ground come from the drops; the gravity ones are simply there to ensure you see something. Personally, I think there's already a ton of crap flying around.

Still, I added in something awesome yesterday: Dead corpses now leave blood pools. I'll have some screenshots later.

I'm also working on polishing enough content to release a video overviewing stuff with weapons; this'll just be a quick rundown, but I'll probably put out more detailed ones later on. It should be done by Wedenesday.
YES! This is what I was hoping for. Just make sure the final isn't like CMT's Brutes at first, when they would basically exfoliate blood and make an entire corridor Crimson Red.

Ifafudafi
June 12th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Okay the blood pools are much buggier than I'd hoped and their inclusion is now looking rather questionable.

What I did was go into each biped's .model_collision_geometry and attach a body depleted .effect which creates an animated decal after 2-3 seconds. For the most part, it works great, but the animated decal will not work no matter what I try, so I'll either have corpses simply create regular decals of increasing size at ~.3 second intervals or get rid of the system completely.

If I don't have this working before the end of the day I'll scrap it and get back to working on weapons.

Ifafudafi
June 16th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Blood pools are a no go. Too buggy and inconsistent. Sorry I jumped the gun on flaunting 'em.

Anyways, video update. Plan is to have another one out in a week.

Malloy
June 16th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Sweet video and awsome effects.

Couldn't help but feel I was about to recieve an axe to the face throughout your explanation though :3

qwicLgOGJOI

Spartin115
June 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Your videos look realy good Ifafudafi.

Ifafudafi
June 23rd, 2010, 01:37 AM
ANOTHER UPDATEEEEE. Check the first post.

I'm currently choosing between three candidates for a name, and might post a thread on Halomaps after that. Wish me luck.

ThePlague
June 23rd, 2010, 03:11 AM
Nice DMR and NeedleRifle remakes :) Overall though, the new particles for everything look awesome.

Ifafudafi
June 23rd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Nice DMR and NeedleRifle remakes :) Overall though, the new particles for everything look awesome.

I came up with the Needle Rifle thing way before I knew that Bungie did it; same with the DMR thing. They copied my ideas, not vice versa. :colbert:

Hotrod
June 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
This looks like it'll turn into something quite awesome to play, I'm really looking forward to it!

ThePlague
June 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Only thing I don't like is you can't tell what weapon you have, unless you shoot it. Are you going to get different models or something to show which weapon is which?

Ifafudafi
June 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Only thing I don't like is you can't tell what weapon you have, unless you shoot it. Are you going to get different models or something to show which weapon is which?

As I said in the video, I can't model or texture to save my life. I'll search around for things but unless somebody else does it (not likely) it'll probably just be the effects. If worst comes to worst I'll just use one of the thousands of H2/3 battle rifle models for my BR, and keep the different colors for all the Covenant weapons.

ThePlague
June 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM
I bet if you asked around people would be glad to give you stuff, because this mod looks really good.