PDA

View Full Version : Would this make you play the game?

supersniper
June 10th, 2010, 01:07 AM
YO48C-rfU2w

Kantanomo is helping out :)
yes the quality is bad i just did this real quick let youtube process it for a bit, then you can all watch your precious HD videos :p
what I don't get is why the blue in the rank icon merges with the color of the background of your name. I'll figure that out later but it works :) I had to get the coords right because it looked like this before

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/5041/rank1.jpg

ThePlague
June 10th, 2010, 01:23 AM
So you made ranking icons like the xbox version, or were they already there?

Shock120
June 10th, 2010, 01:23 AM
omg, did you inject that? contact meh!
at most, you'll interest those H2X veteran players xD

supersniper
June 10th, 2010, 01:29 AM
in Halo 2 Vista they didn't include a ranking system. And well so the icons were in the memory and raw map data but never used. Kantanomo and I finally found out how to get it to show up and Noww!!! we can continue with the exact remake of bungie's halo 2 ranking system :)

Amit
June 10th, 2010, 01:34 AM
in Halo 2 Vista they didn't include a ranking system. And well so the icons were in the memory and raw map data but never used. Kantanomo and I finally found out how to get it to show up and Noww!!! we can continue with the exact remake of bungie's halo 2 ranking system :)

I don't understand, just the icons are in the memory? How does that translate to full functioning ranking system?

supersniper
June 10th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I don't want get into the details but all bungie did with the ranking was have an external anagram or algorithm that calculated the stats then it sent the info to the player's profile on Xbox LIVE and "memory edited" the addy's to show the correct corresponding rank bitmap that represented their rank. Program the anagram or algorithm is a somewhat tasky job but it's doable. Getting it to transfer well that's not my expertise but someone else on the team is very capable of doing that. MySQL is what they use. Now for getting the correct bitmap to show up in game well when hired gun ported the game the "somewhat" removed the rank icons but when comparing them with the halo2 xbox mainmenu.map we noticed that they weren't removed but just nulled. blah blah...

and well short story short we now can get them in game but right now because of the limited tools we can't Add bitmaps we can only replace so if we did do this we would have to replace something.

Shock120
June 10th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I don't understand, just the icons are in the memory? How does that translate to full functioning ranking system?in short, server can control what rank shows on you.
The server can control other things too, like your name, armour color, emblem, emblem color, shield handicap ,bungie.net user role, speed (which is always at 100%, this exists in CE too), team (horrible sync), biped (don't do this).

supersniper
June 10th, 2010, 03:08 AM
gun this is what me and you gotta work on. basically you help me the .ct like usual i'll make the app that helps regulate it.

Shock120
June 10th, 2010, 04:31 AM
gun this is what me and you gotta work on. basically you help me the .ct like usual i'll make the app that helps regulate it.gun :raise:
I will paste addresses, in the RMP section, and hope you incorporate into your servertool.
remember the server must have this mainmenu mod too.

supersniper
June 10th, 2010, 01:45 PM
oh yeah! forgot dedi uses different set of map files. So if this is serversided then do players need to patch their mainmenu.maps. And I will definitely incorperate it.

Limited
June 10th, 2010, 02:26 PM
So, right now it just displays a bitmap...Now you think you can recreate the whole ranking system? The rank was stored on the Xbox Live servers, the algorithm is non existent, therefore you'd have to code it. You'd have to store that somewhere else online.

Therefore you will be in control of all of the ranks, and I don't even know if you guys are capable of reading the rank off some web server, so it may work fine and dandy in the client, but when it comes to syncing it up well you may have a problem. Also, what stops you/someone else just editing rank before it gets uploaded, or just people abuse their number?

Also why exactly did the guy in the video press space a ton of times, and type Server: Rank 1. When we could clearly see it was him writing the rank and not the server.

supersniper
June 10th, 2010, 03:55 PM
So, right now it just displays a bitmap...Now you think you can recreate the whole ranking system? The rank was stored on the Xbox Live servers, the algorithm is non existent, therefore you'd have to code it. You'd have to store that somewhere else online.Yes I already understand this and we already have a way of uploading it to another website JohnnyBlaz20 is helping us with that. and like I said i was only working on getting the bitmap to show up in game first. Since Hired gun nulled it out. Also shock120 is in the midst of mapping out the player structure for the h2server (includes a bunch of info about th eplayer including their rank).
Also yes we are recreating the algorithm based of this info provided by bungie. All it boils down to is a simple average with some modifiers
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/content.aspx?link=h2statoverview

Therefore you will be in control of all of the ranks, and I don't even know if you guys are capable of reading the rank off some web server, so it may work fine and dandy in the client, but when it comes to syncing it up well you may have a problem. Also, what stops you/someone else just editing rank before it gets uploaded, or just people abuse their number?Like I said before it's going to be all serversided. so even if someone comes in with a "modified" rank icon it will not match up with the servers set rank (based on the info being sent to it by the application) and we'll have an autoboot process.

Also why exactly did the guy in the video press space a ton of times, and type Server: Rank 1. When we could clearly see it was him writing the rank and not the server.
that guy was me... and that has nothing to do with the server sayign rank one, that was just me doing the Halo 2 chat glitch to talk as the server :p

like I said this was just a test to see if you can get the bitmap to show up in game. and well you can. Wow i love the whole this won't work attitude :/

supersniper
June 12th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Pp_E3_IGZns

level 50 much?

Con
June 12th, 2010, 01:22 AM
In response to the title, this would not make me want to play since I don't really care about onlines ranks. However, I won't ignore the accomplishment and implications here. Surely many people will like it.

Shock120
June 12th, 2010, 02:22 AM
level 50 much?=O
omg i found a haxor!
I report u to bungiez.

o..wait, Bungie doesn't care.

Impressive work, supersniper.

Llama Juice
June 12th, 2010, 03:32 AM
The ranking system isn't exactly what made the whole Xbox Live interface work, it was the Matchmaking setup, where Halo 2 would setup a match for you and get you playing with random people really quickly and easily. that's what made Halo 2's online multiplayer system so successful.

That being said, nice work on getting this stuff going, or at least starting to get it going.

Everyone is going to have a negative look at this game because we all are still a bit sour over how the port turned out, and then how we were all shit on.... so it's not you that we are really upset with or negative with, it's hired gun and M$'s neglect.

Kantanomo
June 12th, 2010, 11:56 AM
he forgot to say i figured out how to get it to 50 ;)

supersniper
June 12th, 2010, 12:36 PM
yeah i did sorry.

jcap
June 12th, 2010, 12:37 PM
But you still need an external app that the client needs to run, right? That's the difficult part, because I don't think many care enough about a number that no one will ever see unless everyone runs the app.

But if you have a way of the server sending the rank to the client which can display it without anything else, I think it can go somewhere...

The algorithm for Truskill is actually semi-public, but I fucking despise it. It would be better if you just come up with your own. Of course, to do that, you would also need a way to generate reliable stats from the game server. If you can generate stats, it might stand a chance.

You might even just want to focus on generating stats, since everyone would be able to see those... >_>

Kantanomo
June 12th, 2010, 12:41 PM
no they dont :D

supersniper
June 12th, 2010, 02:41 PM
But you still need an external app that the client needs to run, right? That's the difficult part, because I don't think many care enough about a number that no one will ever see unless everyone runs the app. this I do not know yet, the way we are doing it now just a simple mainmenu.sppf patch is required

But if you have a way of the server sending the rank to the client which can display it without anything else, I think it can go somewhere...
I haven't tried patching the mainmenu.map the server uses yet i'll see how that goes

The algorithm for Truskill is actually semi-public, but I fucking despise it. It would be better if you just come up with your own. Of course, to do that, you would also need a way to generate reliable stats from the game server. If you can generate stats, it might stand a chance.
the whole stat system is public for halo2 here's the link http://www.bungie.net/Stats/content.aspx?link=h2statoverview

You might even just want to focus on generating stats, since everyone would be able to see those... >_>
The halo2 dedi already has the option to track stats, it spits it out after each game in the specified folder in .xml format. very usable too.

Syuusuke
June 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I thought the stats were inaccurate, at east the last time I checked on them they were...

jcap
June 12th, 2010, 03:29 PM
this I do not know yet, the way we are doing it now just a simple mainmenu.sppf patch is required
So you are just replacing the bitmap in the mainmenu with a patch? Unless you can actually mess with the netcode and packets and other crap, you won't be able to do this without an external app.

I haven't tried patching the mainmenu.map the server uses yet i'll see how that goes
The server's mainmenu.map has no relevance to the client. Patching something on the server won't be reflected on the client. That's like saying that because one person has a custom mainmenu.map in their map folder, when they host a game everyone will get it.

the whole stat system is public for halo2 here's the link http://www.bungie.net/Stats/content.aspx?link=h2statoverview
There's some newer calculations that Microsoft uses as a standard for all games. I don't even think the Halo 2 system is called Truskill, since it doesn't mention it anywhere.

The halo2 dedi already has the option to track stats, it spits it out after each game in the specified folder in .xml format. very usable too.
We were the first to attempt a stats system for Halo 2 Vista, but we found out the stats were largely unreliable. There's a complaint about this in Buyer's Remorse. They are not usable at all.

You are really best off making some app that can log accurate stats, since you would need that to proceed anyway. Or try generating your own stats for CE, which can then calculate a level that can be displayed using OS.

Shock120
June 12th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I don't think we'll be needing to replace anything in the mainmenu.map, I looked and saw nothing had been taken out, tag swapping is unnessesary.
The ranking icons are just "disabled". kinda like the "bungie user role" thing I found last year.

I'm not even sure how it gets enabled, sometimes when there's extreme lag between host and client on the mainmenu lobby, it just shows up, and goes away.
If I can find this on the h2server.exe memory, and map it out for all 16 players, I should be able to change it to what I wish, I can apply a "Bungie" logo too xD.

but for now, the ranking stuff falls into a tough to find category just like the "downloading" and "mics on/off" stuff.

Limited
June 12th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I'd like to see the rank physically change in-game. That'd be nice so we know it can be done on the fly, which it would need to be.

supersniper
June 12th, 2010, 05:25 PM
well jcap everything you said actually is correct. Thanks for informing me :)
and well yeah limited that's what we are trying to accomplish.

Kantanomo
June 12th, 2010, 06:17 PM
what i mainly did activating it is see how it was changed :P