PDA

View Full Version : WIP DoD skins

rossmum
May 2nd, 2007, 08:11 AM
Copied from my post at Facepunch:

Based off a fictional unit which is actually my forum's informal gathering of weekend warriors:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8853/xbhskinspromolt1.jpg

I liked 82ndfrags's 101st AB skins, so I got to work editing them while using PR0PEN's American pack to get the different skins based on class and also most of the faces. All the various badges, patches, ranks, etc. are my own work, and my friend Dane actually skinned Ivan's face onto one of the soldiers - no mean feat since he doesn't have DoD and couldn't check it ingame. With a little tweaking on my part, it now fits almost perfectly :D

Not sure if I'm going to release them to the general public yet, but still have to update the unit badges on most of the skins, make minor adjustments, finish the faces with Dane, get custom normals done for each and then put them through final testing. My PC is 6 years old and the graphics aren't so crash hot, so all I can offer at the moment is this hastily-made pic from HLMV shots and a simple bevel job for lighting. Didn't edit it the way I would a Gmod screen because I didn't want to make too many changes to the skin's appearance.

Open for comments/crit/suggestions/gold stars.

Emmzee
May 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM
Pretty nice, but they look a bit lanky, too thin to be real soldiers.

BobtheGreatII
May 2nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
I'd download it.

rossmum
May 2nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
Pretty nice, but they look a bit lanky, too thin to be real soldiers.
Shot tags :downs:

I see what you mean, though - keep in mind a) that's Valve's fault; b) a lot of squad-level soldiers in WWII were in their late teens or 20s; c) they didn't get a whole lot to eat and d) you don't need to be a tank to be cannon fodder.

Limited
May 2nd, 2007, 10:37 AM
The wood part of the rocket launcher sticks out too much (looks weird). Does it really need that wood part?

rossmum
May 2nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
That's not my doing, that's Valve's. I only reskinned the soldiers. In any case, that's the stock and yes it does need it.

FireDragon04
May 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Yay Facepunch! Me goes there ;) GMOD!

Nice skins, lookin good! :)

Atty
May 2nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
Capt. Atty Ryan, Rifleman.

Add that and you're an Epic God.

thehoodedsmack
May 2nd, 2007, 09:26 PM

We could also go for a Pvt. Caesar Smack, infantry cook! Yaar! + rep for you!

rossmum
May 3rd, 2007, 02:52 AM

Well, once the MG is done (friend of mine reserved that spot), it's a full set.. though I'll gladly do you one anyway when I get a chance :)

We could also go for a Pvt. Caesar Smack, infantry cook! Yaar! + rep for you!
See above.