PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan assets worth up to $1 Trillion

=sw=warlord
June 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM
"A report by US Geologists confirms rich reserves of Iron, Copper, Cobalt, Lithium and Gold which could "lift" the country out of deep poverty and end its reliance on the opium trade.
The task-force charged with looking at Afghanistan's economy is helping the country to prepare for bids by major mining firms in the coming months."

click here for reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65D0OH20100614)
So let me get this straight, we're over there to deal with the drug trade and terrorism but in the mean time everyone's been groping Afghans ass looking for loose cash?

DarkHalo003
June 15th, 2010, 08:00 AM
To me, at first glance, it looks like we're preparing to turn them into our South American buddies (I'm being sarcastic about buddies). Basically, I think we're going to flood them with U.S. investment and trade when everything somehow blows over.

sleepy1212
June 15th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Too late, China already has a copper mine there.

rossmum
June 15th, 2010, 04:23 PM
This is good news for them in that they've now got something other than drugs to base their economy off of, but it's also bad news in that there's likely to be even more strife. The Taliban aren't dumb. They know how important this is, and they're not likely to just let them exploit it.

Warsaw
June 15th, 2010, 10:32 PM
If it makes them come out of hiding, it makes them easier to kill. On the flip side, they could lay low until they trick us into thinking we've won, then start causing trouble after we pack up and leave. However, I don't think they are that cunning. I could be wrong, though.

Kornman00
June 16th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Last I checked, the fight in Afghanistan is a UN fueled orgy of Armies, so it wouldn't just be America packing up and calling it a day, so I don't think it (Afghan) will blow over as quick as our combat troop presence in Iraq did (leaving many units who are combat support still over there). But I haven't really been keeping up with war plans since it doesn't concern me anymore, so I may be out of date.

Their foot soldiers may not be all that -smert-, but all it takes is one educated dipshit who has some extremest hardon to join their "cause" and coach them on the current political side of things and how to use it to their advantage. You just don't hear about them because they're not the ones running into crowds everyday with bombs strapped to their chest. They leave that to the brainwashed foot solders who jump when you say jump. Or detonate.

The Taliban obviously has some kind of brains if it's lasted this long and orchestrated such events (both the successful and the foiled ones). If not, they obviously have the money to buy the brains or the means to blackmail ("we kill yo family if you don't do our bidding") someone with the brains.

Or we could listen to the :tinfoil:ers and just throw our arms up in the air and say it has been an inside job all this time.

:tinfoil:

Warsaw
June 16th, 2010, 02:06 PM
For the record, when I said "we" I meant the coalition forces, not just US. I don't deny that they have access to brains, though I don't think even they'd wait for UN forces to leave before causing trouble. They want to hurt us as much as they want to retake the country, so they'll start impeding efforts to get an industry going as soon as they can. The brainwashed idiots who do the detonating jumping also have some sway with the brains since they can get antsy over what they feel is their obligation to do. To maintain control over zealots, you have to let them have some degree of freedom.

rossmum
June 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I hope some dippy fuckwit comes and posts in here about how the US knew all along and this is just further proof that it's a resource war :allears:

sleepy1212
June 16th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I hope some dippy fuckwit comes and posts in here about how the US knew all along and this is just further proof that it's a resource war :allears:
inb4 russia knew all along :allears:

MastaCheefa
June 16th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Well, they have known about this since 2007, when the geologist first reported about it.

rossmum
June 17th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Which was 6 years after the invasion :allears:

MastaCheefa
June 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Which was 6 years after the invasion :allears:

Definitely not saying thats why we went there in the first place. But I dont think most people know we've known about this information for so long. Is it a little odd we're just now learning about this?

rossmum
June 17th, 2010, 12:13 PM
No, not really.

MastaCheefa
June 17th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Ok, well I guess Im done here! :D

Phopojijo
June 18th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Definitely not saying thats why we went there in the first place. But I dont think most people know we've known about this information for so long. Is it a little odd we're just now learning about this?It's the Government, when was the last time that they did something in a timely manner... especially something as irrelevant to the common citizen (directly) as this. (Apart from capturing Saddam)

Would be crappy if Uranium was on that list though :p