PDA

View Full Version : Joe Lieberman proposes an internet "kill-switch" for times of crisis.

Jean-Luc
June 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM
The proposed legislation [PDF format] (http://hsgac.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Files.View&FileStore_id=4ee63497-ca5b-4a4b-9bba-04b7f4cb0123) would compel any internet providers, search engines or software companies, at the discretion of the U.S. government, to "immediately comply with any emergency measure or action developed" by the Department of Homeland Security. Lieberman, the chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, said the measures would allow the government to "preserve those networks and assets and our country and protect our people." Any company that failed to follow orders would face presumably stiff fines.Full article here (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.202768-U-S-Government-Proposes-Internet-Kill-Switch?page=1)

What are your thoughts on this matter? Personally, I think it's fucking retarded on every level to A) give the government that kind of internet control and B) to cut off a major communication network at the time it's needed most.

Also,

"We cannot afford to wait for a cyber-9/11 before our government realizes the importance of protecting our cyber-resources," said bill co-sponsor Senator Susan Collins (http://collins.senate.gov/public/)."Cyber 9/11?" That makes me rage so hard that I...I....-head explodes-

Anyways, discuss.

=sw=warlord
June 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Wow..Just wow...
Since when was a cyber attack on the same table as a full scale physical attack on a large work office building which physically killed people?

thehoodedsmack
June 17th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I think you nailed it with your first post: in times of crisis, it's essential to have up-to-date news feeds from different sources across the world. Perhaps Joe is under the impression that the internet is just for email and games.

neuro
June 17th, 2010, 11:36 AM
rofl. american politicians.

Dwood
June 17th, 2010, 11:47 AM

Last I heard yours weren't too bright either.

rossmum
June 17th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Not only is that fucking retarded but I seriously hope they don't expect anyone else to go along with this. Also, there will be a lot of angry people in a lot of different places if this happens.

Not to mention that the very idea of a killswitch for the internet is sheer first-grade stupidity on every level.

sleepy1212
June 17th, 2010, 12:18 PM
jesus fucking christ...

attempt 1: gov vs supreme court: control of the internet > no
attempt 2: gov vs supreme court: control of the internet > no
attempt 3: Joe Leiberman's retarded idea > ?
attempt 4
attempt 5
attempt etc.....

I have an idea - let's put a killswitch on Joe Lieberman's brain so when he comes up with a stupid-ass idea like this we can just shut him off.

Phopojijo
June 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM
It's Joe Lieberman... you know -- Mortal Kombat is destroying our kids Joe. He normally is decent politically... but when it comes to politics over electronics and technology he needs a restraining order.

NullZero
June 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Great firewall of America time??????

Warsaw
June 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM

ftfy.

The sheer amount of stupid that comes out of the government never ceases to amaze.

paladin
June 18th, 2010, 12:01 PM
You guys are surprised by this..... hahahaha

Dwood
June 19th, 2010, 12:05 AM
This whole kill switch idea has been proposed for ages, btw. I also see no reason EVER that would require a TOTAL internet shutdown- there is no possibility of a "cyber" 911. They've been watching live free or die hard too many times to understand that it's relatively simple to just requilre that all companies block ip addresses from entire countries.