PDA

View Full Version : HCE A new HUD that I made

The_Lurker
June 26th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Hello Modacity! I thought it was about time I got off my lazy ass and showed some of my work to the HCE community again. This HUD is my first so its nothing spectacular.

The goal here was to condense and consolidate as much information as possible to a single area on the HUD in a way seamless enough as to not make it appear like a jumble and to make it somewhat aesthetically pleasing. It's fully functional with no bugs as far as I can tell, though it is lacking a flashlight meter. I might make some new damage indicators, but I haven't been able to produce anything satisfactory. The HUD text was resized, but I haven't yet resized the weapon icons. This HUD still uses the default font.

Pics:
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2652/hud1.png
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6397/hud2.png
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4833/hud3.png

Possibly the biggest problem lies in multiplayer chat; as it stands, messages obscure the shield and health meters, but I don't think that would be a game-breaking problem by any means, just an annoyance.

Also, does anyone know how to get rid of the gametype indicator? I seriously can't find the tags for it anywhere. I welcome all comments and criticism.

teh lag
June 26th, 2010, 11:19 AM
The coloration looks a bit inconsistent (compare: bullet icons vs. radar), and I'd say you should move it a bit more into the corner if possible. Very nice for a first HUD though. Was the shield meter perchance inspired by that one from early H2 development? There's one that looks very similar in some of the old dev Vidocs floating around.

Welcome to the team.

Oh yes, as for multiplayer icons: they're.... somewhere. Definitely somewhere, though where that somewhere is I can't remember. You'll find them eventually.

sevlag
June 26th, 2010, 11:37 AM
i suggest maybe flipping the HUD so chat is unobstructed

the shields and health do remind me of early builds of the Halo 2 HUD and Im a sucker for pre-public build stuff

great job on the HUD

FRain
June 26th, 2010, 11:44 AM
You can't delete the multiplayer indicators, you need to replace them with a blank bitmap. They're in there somewhere.

Con
June 26th, 2010, 11:48 AM
That's a really creative layout, nice job. Welcome to the site too

Syuusuke
June 26th, 2010, 11:55 AM
If you're interested, you can check out Con's chatbox he made for CMT and check how he edited the files so that they were moved.

Pretty cool HUD layout though.

The_Lurker
June 26th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I know that while I was making the HUD I wasn't thinking of the Halo 2 pre-beta HUD, but looking at it again the resemblance is somewhat uncanny. Very interesting.

Yeah, I'll work on making the coloration more consistent but I've been quite tasked to capacity lately with class registration and whatnot. Eventually I'll get around to that.

Thanks for the information FRain, I'll keep looking for those tags.

And I do now remember that CMT chatbox from long ago. I'll have to track it down and examine it so I can make my own modifications.

t3h m00kz
June 26th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I really like the layout. Everything in one spot.

Also noticed "Hold "A" to pick up Sniper Rifle." ESDF player?

The_Lurker
June 26th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I really like the layout. Everything in one spot.

Also noticed "Hold "A" to pick up Sniper Rifle." ESDF player?

Precisely. :iamafag:

Basically my old keyboard's W key was borked so I chose to change key commands instead of getting a new keyboard. Since then I've gotten a new one, but I'm too used to my control scheme to switch back.

Arteen
June 26th, 2010, 08:04 PM
ui/shell/bitmaps/team_*.bitmap

I think these are the gametype indicators.

Con
June 26th, 2010, 08:34 PM
The chat box is pretty easy to move. Just open up Halo Custom Edition\content\<game resolution height>log.ksml

<ksml>
<head/>
<body>
<listbox left="5" top="260" width="640" height="130" id="oListbox"
textbackground="#00000000" outerborder="#00000000"
innerborder="#00000000" shadow="#00000000" highlight="#00000000"
textcolor="#ffffffff" font="Arial Narrow-8-bold"
/>
</body>
</ksml>
Just make that "top" value lower to move the chat box up. The best thing is it gets updated in real time, so just maximize Halo again to see the effects.

azjesse
June 26th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I really like your Hud. I can only copy ideas that are already there, and i get terrible results when i try to make one off the top of my head.

I can copy well, but my creativity is quite limited when it comes to this.

(sorry, i forgot which button to use for posting large images so bear with me.)

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/99677714-4.jpg

TeeKup
June 27th, 2010, 05:33 AM
It looks very similar to the HUD from Robotech: Battlecry, despite being under the wretched Robotech moniker, it was a fun game.

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2002/xbox/robotech/xrobo_screen003.jpg

sevlag
June 27th, 2010, 01:24 PM
It looks very similar to the HUD from Robotech: Battlecry, despite being under the wretched Robotech moniker, it was a fun game.

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2002/xbox/robotech/xrobo_screen003.jpg
battlecry was a fun game

anyways its nice to see a original hud and not a halo 3 imitation (because lets be honest do we really need as many H3 huds as we have BG mods?)

anyways im going back to beat MMX4 as megaman X so im off

Donut
July 8th, 2010, 08:37 AM
You can't delete the multiplayer indicators, you need to replace them with a blank bitmap. They're in there somewhere.
i deleted mine...

t3h m00kz
July 9th, 2010, 01:53 AM
If there's anything I'd have to suggest for that layout, it's to swap the Grenades and Reserve Ammo. The edges would look much nicer.

Cortexian
July 9th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I'd rotated the shield bar and health 90 degrees to be horizontal, then place all the ammo/grenades stuff under it. Would look more compact imo. Great HUD otherwise.

Hr3shy
July 10th, 2010, 05:40 AM
i love your hud man, it saves alot of space. keep it up!