PDA

View Full Version : Bungie day 2010

=sw=warlord
July 6th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Looks like the cats out the bag for this years bungie day.
http://sterlingdavisphoto.squarespace.com/photo-gallery/biscuit-filmworkshalo/

Amit
July 6th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I would fucking love to have a set of that "armour."

thehoodedsmack
July 6th, 2010, 04:45 PM
A live short for Reach, eh? Sounds cool in principle, but then again, all we see is one character on a green-screen set, so it might not be that impressive.

Llama Juice
July 6th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I dunno, they haven't released a bad live action short yet.

Hotrod
July 6th, 2010, 08:58 PM
The link seems to be broken...

ShadowSpartan
July 6th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Good thing I saved the pictures in case they were taken down.
http://shadow.modacity.net/HaloReachShortPics/

Kornman00
July 6th, 2010, 09:10 PM
They must have taken it down heh

e: fucking ShadowSnipped

Spartan094
July 6th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I would fucking love to have a set of that "armour."
Who wouldn't?

Seeing the person without the helmet on and it's to far away to tell, I think its a guy in the suit and not a girl.

Con
July 6th, 2010, 10:43 PM
That's a nice looking suit. I can't wait to see this.

t3h m00kz
July 6th, 2010, 11:21 PM
that's a pretty cool suit

=sw=warlord
July 7th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Blood gulch in reach confirmed. (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=27228)

Anton
July 7th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Looks great too! I'm looking forward to this.

thehoodedsmack
July 7th, 2010, 08:51 AM
That looks sick. What a wonderful addition to Reach.

Arteen
July 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Soooo, Blood Gulch. I'm not quite as excited as everyone else, simply because dear god I am still so sick of this goddamn overplayed map and if I ever play it again it will be too soon. Looks fun though! I like how Bungie has gone back to color-coding each base. Also worth noting, Sarge was carrying the flag while using use jetpack and holding a shotgun, so it looks like we will have the option to use weapons while holding the flag. A bad thing I spotted, though, is that the game still resets your direction when you go through a teleporter. Lame.

I wonder how this map fits in Campaign, because that is another Halo. I guess that bland Forerunner wall in the back blocks off how you get into the area during Campaign.

Higuy
July 7th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I would hope forerunner is making a return in the campaign =)

Otherwise, it really just wouldn't be Halo.

Spartan094
July 7th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Yay. Looks amazing. It's good anyways to bring back a almost h1 blood gulch to Reach.

And yes in the beta I saw stuff called Forerunner. Don't worry, it should be back.

Kornman00
July 7th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Reach was touched by the Forerunner so of course it will have a [redacted] that is a couple miles deep which the Covies are investigating for [redacted]

ThePlague
July 7th, 2010, 10:11 AM
New Bg should be sick. Seems like you'll be needing that jetpack more though...

sevlag
July 7th, 2010, 10:15 AM
BLOOD GULCH IS BACK

http://redvsblue.com/archive/?sid=rvb&season=8

watch this through

=sw=warlord
July 7th, 2010, 10:30 AM
BLOOD GULCH IS BACK

http://redvsblue.com/archive/?sid=rvb&season=8

watch this through
Someones late to the party.

ODX
July 7th, 2010, 10:36 AM
So the multiplayer maps are incorporated into the single player... (or the other way around), that means Blood Gulch is in the campaign?

I can't wait to see the battle the [hopefully] takes place there...

jcap
July 7th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Well, now that the cat's out of the bag...

http://jcap.h2vista.net/files/halo/reach_forge_background.jpg

Kornman00
July 7th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Someones late to the party.

Someone's*

And you call yourself an Englishmen :snafubar:

Teltaur
July 7th, 2010, 11:46 AM
So the multiplayer maps are incorporated into the single player... (or the other way around), that means Blood Gulch is in the campaign?

I can't wait to see the battle the [hopefully] takes place there...

Well, I'd doubt it. Bungie said in one of their earlier updates that the whole "every map is from campaign" statement is not entirely true, and unless we're going back to a Halo ring for Reach, I'd doubt Blood Gulch is making an appearance outside of multiplayer.

Also, if you watch, the wall you see behind red base at the beginning is gone in a later clip. I'm guessing Blood Gulch Classic vs. expanded version (possibly for larger gametypes like Invasion)?
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/3396/vlcsnap2010070716h40m48.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8832/vlcsnap2010070716h43m19.png

Bossniak
July 7th, 2010, 11:57 AM
This has to come to PC now. Right?...right??

Spartan094
July 7th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I still want the ability to add AI like in TimeSplitters :(

Kornman00
July 7th, 2010, 01:04 PM
It'll be nice if the MP maps also support Fire Fight instead...

ThePlague
July 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM
It'll be nice if the MP maps also support Fire Fight instead...
Omg yes, that would be so win.

Hotrod
July 7th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I just watched the video once again, and I noticed something. If you watch carefully at the end of the video, right after it shows Sarge with the flag (when it shows the very nice view), there's a tank shot coming from very far away at the bottom right. Seeing as how that tank shell travels a huge distance, it's safe to assume that the map is MUCH bigger than we have imagined. I assume that it will only be that big in Invasion (like many others have said).

ODX
July 7th, 2010, 02:52 PM
You guys are completely missing the point of Bungie Day! New Blood Gulch? Pah!

Check this shit out omg!:

Special Bonus Update! As an additional token of awesomeness for Bungie Day, today and today only, everyone who is playing Halo 3 has access to the coveted FLAMING HELMET. Equip the Bungie chest piece for your character and have fun! Hurry though, the flames will be extinguished tomorrow. Get it while it's HOT.

How nice of them :downs:. I wonder what other kinds of things they'll do in Halo 3 for its last 2 months?

sevlag
July 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM
You guys are completely missing the point of Bungie Day! New Blood Gulch? Pah!

Check this shit out omg!:
<gay bungie quote>
How nice of them :downs:. I wonder what other kinds of things they'll do in Halo 3 for its last 2 months?

to be honest halo 3 was a wreck and its nice to see BG again so BG overrides flaming parts

Spartan094
July 7th, 2010, 03:18 PM
But you know the drill with flaming helmet.

Bungie flaming helmet + recon armor = little kids screaming in joy and making them think they are even more mlg pro and will attempt to make shit machinima's just for today.

Halo 3 is full of little kids, really it is.

Champ
July 7th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure what to think of this new army ability. But Blood Gulch was a nice surprise.:woop:

TeeKup
July 7th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I would hope forerunner is making a return in the campaign =)

Otherwise, it really just wouldn't be Halo.

It would be a canon travesty to not have the Forerunners involved in some way shape or form. I mean really.

Also the new BG looks really good. Can't wait to see more.

Also if that was a scorpion then it must be Sheila.

teh lag
July 7th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I'm a bit interested in which helmet Caboose was using - as of yet we've seen no indication that the classic Mk. V helmet is in, and I couldn't get a good look at Caboose's head. It kinda looked like Mk. V, but it also could be the one from the beta with that ridiculous fin on the chin.

I also find the idea of Sarge using a jetpack to be unreasonably funny... However, something looks very, very wrong with the gun-lowered pose. It's like, clipping the arm beyond reason.

And one last set of thoughts: that environment just screams A30 to me. I'll also miss the additions they made for Coagulation... and I also can't help but feel that the transition from the terrain to the bases looks a little haphazard. I would hope that this is a build from before Bungie's oft-mentioned "zero-bug-release" crunch. It looks to be post-Beta at least, since the assassination animation finally syncs up with when the target dies.

paladin
July 7th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I would cool to see it like 3 or 4x bigger. Also, I think a Timberland style map would be awesome now with the available graphics

Cagerrin
July 7th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Is it just me, or do the base ramps slope upwards rather than down like the originals? Could mean that the bases are a Forge brush, since the ramps wouldn't clip into the ground.

Also I bet Blood Gulch is just a single configuration of the map.

leorimolo
July 7th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Is it just me, or do the base ramps slope upwards rather than down like the originals? Could mean that the bases are a Forge brush, since the ramps wouldn't clip into the ground.

Also I bet Blood Gulch is just a single configuration of the map.

Bungie said that everything you see in campaign will be walkable. So it gets me thinking about forge 2.0. I saw big pointless walls everywhere in BG, forge could have new capabilities to enclose smaller parts of the map, with giant walls or maybe even "allowable areas" like in the beta, where you run out and are greeted by a get back into battle.

ejburke
July 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Definitely Forge Gulch. The lack of proper lightmaps is a dead giveaway that everything, including the bases, can be moved around.

I'm a bit interested in which helmet Caboose was using - as of yet we've seen no indication that the classic Mk. V helmet is in, and I couldn't get a good look at Caboose's head. It kinda looked like Mk. V, but it also could be the one from the beta with that ridiculous fin on the chin.
Looked like this (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/halo/images/e/e0/Gallery_6889_853_280617.jpg), which I guess is supposed to be their re-imagined Mk V, but not exactly a faithful re-imagining.

Arteen
July 7th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I wonder if that Halo ring in the background is only for the multiplayer version of the map. Bungie did say that multiplayer and firefight maps will look different from their Campaign counterparts. That way, we could easily get a 'Forge_Sanctuary' with delta ruins themed scenery objects, without actually going to Delta Halo. I don't think that Bungie wants to pull another Halo 2, where they heavily advertise a desperate defense of Earth/Reach, only to be whisked away to another part of the galaxy halfway through the campaign. They received a lot of backlash for that.

But from what we know of the story, it could fit. There are a few missions on Reach, then you take the Falcons into space combat, then board a covenant cruiser. The cruiser could easily jump to a new Halo with you on it, or something like that.

Cagerrin
July 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM
"The cruiser could easily jump to a new Halo with you on it"

This would be great.

Best surprise would be a Covie campaign on a different section of 04.

English Mobster
July 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Jcap:
Where did you get that picture from? Beta files?

jcap
July 7th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Jcap:
Where did you get that picture from? Beta files?
:iiam:

yes

PenGuin1362
July 7th, 2010, 09:12 PM
the dude in the suit has pretty damn small arms for a war machine >_>

Higuy
July 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM
the dude in the suit has pretty damn small arms for a war machine >_>
Pretty sure that spartan is a women.. but yeah, small arms.

Kornman00
July 8th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I'm pretty sure the game will just be about Reach...and how it falls. They called it a prequel after all and how it wouldn't feature the Chief, even as a cameo. So I think it is really unlikely that they'll jump off to another Halo while Reach is still going down.

However, they could be recreating the Halo 1 campaign to be DLC later :-3. But in all seriousness, this just has to be the "forge_gulch" that was seen in the public beta game data. Like ej said, the lack of lightmaps around the bases and how the transition from the grass into the base make it a pretty dead give away that those aren't there by default. What better way to make Reach forge maps than by making their stock layout be that of that of old fan favorites?

paladin
July 8th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Maybe large bases are forge items

Rob Oplawar
July 8th, 2010, 10:10 AM
However, they could be recreating the Halo 1 campaign to be DLC later :-3.
I know that's about as likely as Valve releasing a game on time, but it still sounds fucking awesome. :P

teh lag
July 8th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I'm slightly irritated by the lack of proper lighting that'll come with it being a Forge-based map.The rocks didn't seem to have shadows either, so it seems like a LOT of the map is made of Forge objects.

...Though, shouldn't scenery objects still get some sort of shadow-casting on the terrain? Or have I just not noticed that?

Con
July 8th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I'll bet there's a tunnel there like this:
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2064/capturehxv.png

jcap
July 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I'm slightly irritated by the lack of proper lighting that'll come with it being a Forge-based map.The rocks didn't seem to have shadows either, so it seems like a LOT of the map is made of Forge objects.

...Though, shouldn't scenery objects still get some sort of shadow-casting on the terrain? Or have I just not noticed that?

This is bothering me too much. Honestly, if you were to take out the sky and high poly terrain, it looks worse than a Halo CE map with a quick radiosity on it. The lighting is what makes maps shine. They should at least invest some time in real-time shadows for certain objects.

It would actually be cool (and suicide for your console) if they let you run lightmaps (not high quality ones) for forge maps.

Additionally, they could just make it so there's multiple lightmaps - one for the stock map, and one for the empty forge map.

Kornman00
July 8th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Such operations wouldn't jive well with their current resource model without some hefty changes and which quite frankly really should just be in a full toolkit, not a scenario (not map) editor like Forge.

Rob Oplawar
July 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Wait a minute. I got the impression from this presentation (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=Siggraph_09) that Bungie was using entirely dynamic lighting for Reach. What I've seen so far does rather point towards lightmaps, though. That's disappointing.
Well, I guess we'll see it in whatever this super-secret-project is they're working on.

PlasbianX
July 8th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Did nobody else catch the new armor ability? :O

Kornman00
July 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Wait a minute. I got the impression from this presentation (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=Siggraph_09) that Bungie was using entirely dynamic lighting for Reach.
Maybe if the Xbox was running a "modern GPU" and had the memory capacity to support such things. Also, it could very well be that, just like the visor in Halo 3, MP has reduced rendering quality for some things or that RT lighting is only during cinematic quality sequences when things are executed in a specific and deterministic manner.

Rob Oplawar
July 8th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Yeah, that makes sense.
Actually, didn't they say the lighting didn't make it into the Beta? Maybe that video came from an older build without the real time lighting.
/me is still holding onto that hope. I'm a big fan of lighting. :P

Ifafudafi
July 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM
If I remember correctly, there was an old campaign vidoc which showed some dynamic shadows on the first-person gun. Not sure if that means every single light is dynamic, but it's a good sign.

ODST used dynamic lighting in cutscenses but Bungie said that the announcement trailer was rendered entirely in-game, and things can only have gone up from there, so I'm guessing that at least the campaign has it by this point. Bungie did say a lot of new rendereing awesomeness (like SSAO) didn't make it into the beta, so maybe (hopefully) you're right about that Korn.

Limited
July 11th, 2010, 05:52 PM
The new BG looks pants, like Jcap said its the lighting and possible lame textures. Right now we dont know the layout of the map, so we cant really assume that.

I don't like the fact you can use jetpack with the flag.

I dont believe thats a new armor ability, Bungie wouldnt just fade the player at the end of the effect, they'd make it more hologram like, give it those scan lights and it would flicker off. Fading is done becase its easier in video effects, I think RT faked it.

Kornman00
July 11th, 2010, 06:47 PM

...I think RT faked it.
There is also strong evidance that says they faked the moon landing jetpack w/ flag combo. Either way, Bungie would make such things customizable via the game variant so it's nothing to get your knickers in a bunch over.

Arteen
July 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Bungie has said many times, you can't use AAs while carrying the flag in matchmaking, but it's an option in custom games.

TeeKup
July 12th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Halo's multiplayer has grown significantly since Halo 2 and 3. I wonder what exactly Reach's experience will be. Just how much is bungie giving us multiplayer wise? And will the campaign stand up to it as well?

Heathen
July 12th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Soooo, Blood Gulch. I'm not quite as excited as everyone else, simply because dear god I am still so sick of this goddamn overplayed map and if I ever play it again it will be too soon. Looks fun though! I like how Bungie has gone back to color-coding each base. Also worth noting, Sarge was carrying the flag while using use jetpack and holding a shotgun, so it looks like we will have the option to use weapons while holding the flag. A bad thing I spotted, though, is that the game still resets your direction when you go through a teleporter. Lame.

I wonder how this map fits in Campaign, because that is another Halo. I guess that bland Forerunner wall in the back blocks off how you get into the area during Campaign.
Idk man, that was a pretty ugly animation when he was flying. He was holding the flag like a shotgun and his stance was the stance you are in when you are standing idle. It was a glitch or something.

Arteen
July 13th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Idk man, that was a pretty ugly animation when he was flying. He was holding the flag like a shotgun and his stance was the stance you are in when you are standing idle. It was a glitch or something.
I'm guessing that 'use weapons while carrying the flag' is a new custom game option, but Bungie just hasn't polished the anims. They're going to get it working a long time before they're going to get it pretty, and it's not like Bungie hasn't shown unfinished/unpolished stuff before. It seems like a bizarre thing to fake, since RvB didn't even use it for a joke or call attention to it. The last time we see Sarge, he's holding a flag like normal, too.