PDA

View Full Version : So what do you guys think of the trailer?

NitrousOxide
May 2nd, 2007, 07:26 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/games/halo2/exclusive/

That took a lot of time, money and effort to produce. I hope you like it!

Some juicy shots of me futzing around with the map editor in there :)

Zeph
May 2nd, 2007, 07:31 PM
<3 the elite getting hit point blank with a rocket, surviving, and being moved while in a 'null' animation position. Other than that, the intro was a great take on the broken transmission thing. It was long enough between the breaks, I thought it was a problem from buffering, but watching again ^_^.

edit: Oh, any word on the delay?

NitrousOxide
May 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah, that's a Major Elite, which takes more than a single rocket to kill. Try it on Xbox, it will repro.

Zeph
May 2nd, 2007, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I know it happens, I'm more pointing out the irony. Rocket propelled explosives are typically considered win buttons and advertised like so. I've never seen one advertised other than that. Especially showing a stasis period afterwards in a stun animation. If I hadn't played the game before, I probably would have believed the game to be broken after watching that. Otherwise, it was great.

NitrousOxide
May 2nd, 2007, 07:45 PM
Yeah, well, personally I felt a few areas were a little unpolished, as that one is, but I loved the map editor bit ;) [/toot_own_horn]

Zeph
May 2nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Are there abilities to change the gizmos? It might just be that I'm not used to it, but having slim line markers showing position and orientation seems a bit hard to clearly focus on.

leorimolo
May 2nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
that map editor looks awsome, I hope theres scripting suport, this should make it alot of fun. In halo 2 me and a friend were able to achieve so much with scripts(i.e vehicle teleporter in h2). I just hope we will get more in h2v:)
btw, if you helped develope that map editor congrats because it looks awsome

TheGhost
May 2nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
Nitrous! Great job with the trailer. Obviously we've all seen the campaign stuff before, so I was very pleased to see a good portion of the map editor in the trailer.

scenarios\multi\example\example.scenario anyone? :p

The game looks very crisp and detailed even at that resolution. The action looks fun and the new maps are looking great.

Any word on the release date situation though?

Snowy
May 2nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
I thought the "The battle for humanity has come to your PC" part was a little bit rough, but overall, I think it was a really nice trailer! Around the 55 second mark, what map is that? I don't think I've seen it before... part of District?

And the release date thing, incase you're not up to speed: A lot of sites are now reporting the release date as 5/22/07, instead of the 8th...

Anyway, I thought the trailer was very nice! Good job on it! :)

Zeph
May 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
It's a custom map.

Syuusuke
May 2nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Maybe Nitro will be playing a major role in the releasing of custom maps for H2V =)

leorimolo
May 2nd, 2007, 09:26 PM
Maybe Nitro will be playing a major role in the releasing of custom maps for H2V =)
He prolly has a stash ready to be released day 1.

bleach
May 2nd, 2007, 11:44 PM
the video was nice! It was good. But did anyone spot any fuel rod cannon explosions? OMG, its gonna pwn! That is the best weapon in halo 2 (without cheating, its in campaign), it is so powerful! I hope the map editor comes with tutorials.

Varmint260
May 2nd, 2007, 11:50 PM
I was about to complain that my Windows Media Player wouldn't play the trailer, but it was just being glitchy... anyhow, it looks absolutely fantastic. The only drag factor on me is that I have to wait another couple of months before I can get a computer with Vista, and no one else in my entire town is getting H2V because they're either anti-Halo or H2X-only fans. Too bad...

Anyways, the trailer looks orgasmic. The map editor looks very sexy, and the overall visual presentation is excellent. It only makes me sadder that I'm gonna have to wait several more months before I can experience it firsthand. In any case, very nice trailer NiTrOuS, well done :)

Kornman00
May 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
Told you the man wouldn't answer that question Ghost ;). Hes a man of his wor....errr pen15

Referring to his MS NDA here for you slow ppl

Oh, and I like very much :)

mR_r0b0to
May 3rd, 2007, 05:13 AM
<3

TheGhost
May 3rd, 2007, 06:13 AM
And the release date thing, incase you're not up to speed: A lot of sites are now reporting the release date as 5/22/07, instead of the 8th...

Yes I know... we're the ones who reported that. :p

DaneO'Roo
May 3rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
Video is sex, short but sex :)

Snowy
May 3rd, 2007, 07:22 AM
Yes I know... we're the ones who reported that. :p

I was referring that part of the post to NiTrOuSoXiDe (http://www.h2vista.net/forums/member.php?u=140) :o :p

NitrousOxide
May 3rd, 2007, 10:49 AM
I am not at liberty to comment on the release date situation...yet. I'll let you guys know when I can.

There were three unreleased maps shown in that video; District, Uplift and an example map that I created that will be distributed with the Map Editor in TAG format, so you guys have something straight off the bat to play with. It's not a complex map, and not quite as lush and pretty as the Halo CE "Tutorial" map, but it was a time-pressured map that was basically like "Yeahhh.....I'm going to need you to come in this Sunday....Yeahhhh.....I need a quick Example map....Yeahhhhh.....Need it by Monday KTHXBYE!!1" *boss exit stage left* So yeah, it's not terribly awesome but it does provide some balanced yet chaotic gameplay and shows off a few cool features of the Map Editor as well.

As for day 1 map releases, I have some stuff you guys will appreciate that you will DEFINATELY recieve. I also have a few other things that you would go poopy in your panties for, but it's uncertain they be allowed to leave this office...

More info later.

As always, I post this information UNOFFICIALLY, so if anyone reposts my statements elsewhere and claims them as the "OMG LIEK OFFISHHEL WERD FORM BUNGEY", I will be forced to "OFFISHHELLY" kick your ass :)

Kornman00
May 3rd, 2007, 11:09 AM
It's not a complex map, and not quite as lush and pretty as the Halo CE "Tutorial" map, but it was a time-pressured map that was basically like "Yeahhh.....I'm going to need you to come in this Sunday....Yeahhhh.....I need a quick Example map....Yeahhhhh.....Need it by Monday KTHXBYE!!1" *boss exit stage left*
In one aspect, the sound of this fills me with joy because of conclusions I've magically drawn using my imaginary pen. But that description doesn't particularly fill me with hope in the success of the editor for the average user (not saying who I'm pointing the finger at when\if the time comes).

You should record JClo saying "kthxbye" and make it a door open\close sound in one of these things you will DFNTLY be releasing. kthxnow.

NitrousOxide
May 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
LOL

Let me put it this way:

If you could make maps for Halo CE, you can make AWESOME maps for Halo 2.

If you can map GOOD maps for Halo CE, you can make AMAZING maps for Halo 2.

If you are a Halo CE mapping God, you will be getting a call from Bungie.

If you are Sean Cooper, you might be able to make a map for Halo 2.

All in all, Halo 2 map making is 20x easier than Halo CE.

Kornman00
May 3rd, 2007, 11:29 AM
:|
/changes name to Sean Gaffney

also,

lets get some shoes

EDIT: and not to many people can rly, for real, make a actual HaloCE map tbqh ;p
sup box with extracted sp tags. sup cmt
Now go finish my Engine Room damnit >=(

NitrousOxide
May 3rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
:|
/changes name to Sean Gaffney

Dude....that's gay...

Kornman00
May 3rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
dude...you're gay...no gay backs :ohsnap:

Zeph
May 3rd, 2007, 12:20 PM

Owned (http://www.Kornie.justgotowned.com/).

And how serious are you about that call?

TheGhost
May 3rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
If you could make maps for Halo CE, you can make AWESOME maps for Halo 2.

If you can map GOOD maps for Halo CE, you can make AMAZING maps for Halo 2.

I haven't received my call from Bungie yet. :(

haha, in all seriousness, I'm looking forward to this so much and I'm also very :mad: that we have to wait an extra two weeks for it!

And I hope these extra two weeks will give some of you more reputable mappers some time to get your map models ready to get them in-game for the first week of launch. :)

Kornman00
May 3rd, 2007, 12:33 PM
To bad they can't release the EK on time so those said people can work on getting it into game ;p

Zeph
May 3rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
How about the documentation? I've been suggesting this since shortly after the title was announced. If you could get the 'h2ek tutorial' out beforehand, it'd be a great way to assure there are some great bsps as ready as they can be.

NitrousOxide
May 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
Just make your maps as you would Halo CE, and you'll be fine.

Day of launch, all you'll have to do is correctly name the materials and you can export it right into the game.

Dole
May 3rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Yay! No more disappearing textures!

Zeph
May 3rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Just make your maps as you would Halo CE, and you'll be fine.

Day of launch, all you'll have to do is correctly name the materials and you can export it right into the game.

:p, things like materials are what I meant. So does that mean multipurpose, bump, etc. are pretty much the same, but 'more prevalent'?

Elite Killa
May 3rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
I say it rocks! +rep

Roostervier
May 3rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
I am pretty sure multi has been removed and replaced with the specular map in the alpha channel. That is why there are color change maps now. I don't really know this for sure, but I am almost positive I am right... am I?

Snowy
May 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Dang, since H2V is "Un-officially" delayed, we're going to have about 10,000 crappy Halo 3 Beta maps for H2V since it will come after it. :mad:

Stealth
May 3rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
Oh, man, the intro really scard me... I thought my speekers died on me.
but I really liked it, the one words that I find that fits the video is "Shiny" I saw more shine to every thing, I liked how the video editor edited the video to look like the map went from in-game to map editor, and back to in-game, that part was real cool.

Lightning
May 3rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
I haven't received my call from Bungie yet. :(

D: Same, lol.

Awesome trailer, Nitrous, as usual :P Loved the transitions in there. LOVED the explosion before the "Halo 2" logo popped up. Please tell me that's how it looks ingame. :D

So, example.scenario is now the new tutorial.map, eh?

Prepare for 500 permutations of it, =x.

Digikid
May 3rd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Hey Nitor....so thi is where you have been hiding from us. :P

I look forward to this....I look every MORE FORWARD to the new Map Editor since I still have no idea in hell how to do the old HEK.

Good to hear from you again dude.

NitrousOxide
May 3rd, 2007, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I'm prepared.

By the way, I hope you guys aren't under the impression that I made this trailer...

A studio at Microsoft made the trailer. I, along with several other Hired Gunners were simply actors.

Digikid
May 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
and I bet that you pwned every single one of them. :p

TheGhost
May 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
But you made example.scenario, right? It'll be interesting to see 500 versions of your map floating around, won't it? haha.

Patrickssj6
May 3rd, 2007, 07:18 PM
<3 you

p0lar_bear
May 3rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
I am very looking forward to this, despite the fact that my computer will not run Vista.

:saddowns:

Syuusuke
May 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Or even ME.

samnwck
May 3rd, 2007, 08:12 PM
Nitrous uhh i was wondering, any idea on a poly count?

MasterChief2829
May 3rd, 2007, 09:00 PM
I'm hyped up like a little fan-girl right now. Problem is, I don't got a pretty powerful computer or windows vista to run it on. :(

Map-Editor seems freaking awesome! :lol:

Amit
May 3rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
I'm hyped up like a little fan-girl right now. Problem is, I don't got a pretty powerful computer or windows vista to run it on. :(

Map-Editor seems freaking awesome! :lol:

Ouch, that sucks, look at my PC specs. I bought my PC November 2005 and Vista is amazingly fast on my PC, outperforms XP in every way. The only I have upgraded on my PC is my video card. I got an X1600 PRO last April and a X1950 PRo this april, although i will be getting one of the DX10 ATI cards when they come out.

Remember everyone, Halo 2 Vista is not a DX10 game, it's DirectX 9 looking spectacular with support for DX10 hardware.:XD:

BobtheGreatII
May 3rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
I'm not sure I understand the map editor. It seems like it could be something that would be in a Tony Hawk game where you could make your maps with preset models. I wonder how much you will make in 3ds Max and how much will be part of the editor. Also, I wonder how they got the camera to go to wire frame and crap in the new Sapien (If that's what it is called in H2Vista). Then they freezed the spartans in the Warthog in Districts. Looks cool, I like the change to his visor.

p0lar_bear
May 3rd, 2007, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure I understand the map editor. It seems like it could be something that would be in a Tony Hawk game where you could make your maps with preset models.

That's how Sapien in Halo 1's HEK worked...

You create the content, and then populate the map. AFAIK, I think you still need an external 3D editor to make a BSP.

Then again, I'm behind on the times, I don't check a lot of this stuff often.

bleach
May 4th, 2007, 12:28 AM
that map editor looks pretty easy to use, even I can use it, probably. I hope a
V-ATI R X1550 PCI 256 will run it.

Kornman00
May 4th, 2007, 10:26 AM
How is it any different and thus easier from its predecessor :raise:

Love De Lux
May 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Question :

I'm pretty sure the game will be translated in other languages (like on xbox).

But what about the HEK ? Are we going to get docs/apps translated in others languages ?

The trailer is awesome btw. :iia:

Kornman00
May 4th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Question :

I'm pretty sure the game will be translated in other languages (like on xbox).

But what about the HEK ? Are we going to get docs/apps translated in others languages ?

The trailer is aweseome btw. :iia:
This I highly doubt tbqh. I mean, Nitro can barely use english ffs!

Sakievich
May 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM
If the learning curve on the tech end is just a fraction smoother, I'll be lovin' it.

Digikid
May 4th, 2007, 11:37 AM
The you can remake Abyss!!!!!! :D

soccerbummer1104
May 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM
jw, is their gonna be a completly different exporter? and if so, do yall have a script or mb (PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE!!!) a pluggin or .dll file so us gmax users can export our maps?

Kornman00
May 10th, 2007, 04:20 PM
The intermediate format that tool uses to build the model data will be "documented" so people can make exporters for other apps.

DTS 7.1
May 10th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Nitro, I think this is absolutely AWESOME that you are posting around in this community.Let me assure you my friend, on the 26th, I will be a drinkin' and smearing your pansy-ass all over your custom maps!!

(At least until the wife comes home from work... :D )

And how bad ass is it to NOT have to go out and find all the damn new maps!!!

(Remembers how Gearbox's mutiliated abortion of a port wasted very much of my time and bandwidth trying to find random maps....shudder)