PDA

View Full Version : WTF GBX?

supersniper
July 16th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Reach info (http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=107794)

Shock120
July 16th, 2010, 07:11 PM
:omfg:

I hope so.

Gearbox made a great Halo CE which everyone still loves till this day, I hope this is the same for this game (if it's true).

Dwood
July 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
That would be awesome.

Inferno
July 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM
FFS. I don't think he was being serious but I really want that to be true.

Kornman00
July 16th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Maybe I should stay in Texas so I be a play tester heh

Kornman00
July 16th, 2010, 09:32 PM
heh, now everyone will have to move back to gearbox from modacity :lmao:

rinse, repeat

annihilation
July 16th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I think he's just fucking with us. :smith:

Ifafudafi
July 16th, 2010, 10:04 PM
That's a terrible, terrible way to fuck with somebody, you know

Con
July 16th, 2010, 10:36 PM
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/customavatars/avatar43_6.gif

I don't trust those eyes.

i want to believe

Disaster
July 16th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Please let it be true :(

English Mobster
July 16th, 2010, 10:38 PM
AND THUS THE HUGE REVERSE EXODUS BEGINS.

Con
July 16th, 2010, 10:39 PM
AND THUS THE HUGE REVERSE EXODUS BEGINS.
oh no you dont

Siliconmaster
July 16th, 2010, 11:38 PM
He better not be fucking with us. I will be rather peeved. Lol. ANd either way, Modacity is a pretty nice community- I can't see everyone leaving and returning completely to gbx. Maybe a hybrid member group, but not a reverse exodus.

Inferno
July 16th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Get ghosty to register HaloReachPC.com/net

:iamafag:

Kornman00
July 16th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Maybe they'll let us be the official community forums :realsmug:

actually, no, bad idea, fuck that :nsmug:.

Heathen
July 17th, 2010, 12:57 AM
we'll end up with all the bnetards...

Inferno
July 17th, 2010, 01:01 AM
We could be the official support forum for the editing kit. We'd probably get half tards and half modders.

ejburke
July 17th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Even if they were going to do it -- which somehow seems beneath them at this point -- Microsoft would have had to decide somewhere along the lines not to be little bitches and allow an open editing kit. I mean, we had advocates on the H2V team and we saw that the functionality was there at one time, but they went absolutely out of their way to strip it out at the last minute and it had to be on MS's orders. So, if I see a giant plume of smoke coming out of Redmond, where MS has decided to torch all of their sundresses and pretty pink panties, then I'll be excited.

Why wouldn't Bungie handle this, though? Their Activision game will be on PC. They could use the practice. For that matter, why wouldn't 343 handle it? They need practice period.

Dwood
July 17th, 2010, 02:36 AM
QUICK THIS REQUIRES FAST ACTION

paladin
July 17th, 2010, 03:40 AM
It took me 7 tries to get my password at GBX.

But Reach: CE would be sweet

Lateksi
July 17th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Sounds too good to be true.

hry
July 17th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Ohh i wish this kid isn't playing with ours feelings;c

t3h m00kz
July 17th, 2010, 05:38 AM
not gonna get my hopes up based on something one dude says.

Shock120
July 17th, 2010, 06:28 AM
But seriously, are you hinting at something?
Yes. No. Maybe. What was the question?
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/customavatars/avatar43_6.gif

hmm...acting all suspicious are we? and to say Halo Reach PC without considering Halo 3 PC.
Could it be, 343i is porting Halo 3+ODST, and Gearbox is left with Reach, I wish them the best of luck.
(more speculation eh?)

Lateksi
July 17th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I doubt we'll ever see a Halo 3 port. It wouldn't play well on PC's as we've seen with H2V.

sevlag
July 17th, 2010, 09:11 AM
oh i hope GBX does do Reach

jcap
July 17th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Halo 3 PC won't come out because it's too old. While Reach is taking center stage, it just makes sense to release it on the PC shortly after its Xbox release.

arbiter901
July 17th, 2010, 09:55 AM
http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/InsideXbox/Corrinne-Yu-Principal-Engine-Architect-for-Halo-Team-Microsoft-Part-Two/

At around 18:00 she was asked about Halo 3 PC but, looks like she couldn't talk about it(figures).

Limited
July 17th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here (http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/sendmessage.php)
Lil help here guys?

InnerGoat
July 17th, 2010, 10:22 AM
hahaha you guys will believe anything

Shock120
July 17th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Lil help here guys?change mac address, and reboot modem.
If no Halo 3, then it leaves room for someone or a team to port it as campaign maps.

And yes we believe anything. :/

Limited
July 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Oh you mistake me Shock120, I am in no way in a hurry to go back to GBX. I just want to see what this one post says. Quote perhaps :D?

ODX
July 17th, 2010, 10:55 AM
A guy posts a thread wondering if anyone still plays Halo PC/CE, and a few people say no not really and all anyone plays is shitty coldsnap and no good maps have come out lately (*Ahem* MPG3 *Ahem*).

Then he asks about Halo 2 PC, someone just says the browser sucks shit.

Next post:

Botman

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/customavatars/avatar43_6.gif"So what about Halo: Reach PC? :downs:"

Dwood
July 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM
The following is probably the best post(s) of the thread:

Short answer: No.

Although maps are still being released, nobody plays anything released after 2007 or so. Most games these days are played on the standard built-in maps. The very, very few games played on custom maps are typically role-playing or young kids blowing the crap out of each other with nukes on hugeass.

CE had its golden age in 2004-2005. These days, I only play the campaign maps, which most certainly warrant a download.

If nobody is playing them then tell me why they are downloading over 300,000 maps each month and consuming over 15 terabytes of my data?

If they are not playing the maps in public servers I can only assume that there are a lot of people playing them on lan connections.

Kornman00
July 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Why wouldn't Bungie handle this, though? Their Activision game will be on PC. They could use the practice. For that matter, why wouldn't 343 handle it? They need practice period.
Bungie has been focused on getting Reach out the door and their new IP. I'm sure they have the base for playing the game on the PCs at the office, but they don't have the time to be developing a port that now has to run on a new Live platform, work on many machine configurations all the while the rest of their team moves on to their new IP. I'm pretty sure they'll all about just moving on right now, and they'll need their engineers and testers to do that. They only have roughly 150 full time employees.

343i can't do it because they've yet to get enough people (http://www.microsoft-careers.com/go/343-Industries-Jobs/190537/?&title=&location=&date=&sortby=7&sortdir=desc) to fully operate a game studio from the looks of it.

Handy Dandy Randy mentioned a while, while back about some kind of opportunity coming up that would be really big. People thought it was Halo related, but we never really heard back from it. He said the team was really small at the time...so who knows. This could very well just be a :botman: strip tease, without the big reveal.

Inferno
July 17th, 2010, 04:20 PM
So do you think there is any real truth to this?

=sw=warlord
July 17th, 2010, 04:33 PM
So do you think there is any real truth to this?
Do you really think news like this would simply pop up on the gearbox forum when bungie haven't even finished releasing all the info on the game for the console yet?
They've yet to tell us what this new game mode is as well as various other things.

Inferno
July 17th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Maybe MS is going to announce something soon. IDK.

Limited
July 17th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Oh, I thought you were going to say some one at GBX (employee) made a thread about it. If its Botman just teasing the name, then I doubt it will happen any time soon. Hes obviously said it to make everyone think this way, yet I doubt he'd have clearance to reveal such important info.

Sasc
July 17th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hes obviously said it to make everyone think this way, yet I doubt he'd have clearance to reveal such important info.
Also, if he didn't have clearance to reveal it, the thread would have been taken down by now.

ejburke
July 17th, 2010, 05:32 PM
That mystery project of Randy's doesn't quite fit the facts. That rumor surfaced a full 2 years ago and at the time, he said it was so big for the company that he was going to personally direct the project, which kind of rules out a port job. Especially a port job for a game that was 2 years from release and 1 year from being announced. People assumed it was Halo 4, but MS denied that Gearbox was doing anything Halo-related for them as recently as a year ago via the Halo Waypoint twitter, which has since muzzled the rumor. Nothing new has come up to resuscitate it in all that time.

Also, consider that several GBX staff were hired by 343. It may be that botman is hinting at the existence of a PC port, but not one that GBX is doing. Since he was bold enough to tease it on a message board, that makes me think it's not something he can get fired over. Just something he heard through the grapevine.

Now, if it turns out that GBX is doing it and we are getting a full editing kit, I will be the first to die of seizure-gasm. I would trust them to do it more than Bungie themselves, because of their modding heritage. I feel like Bungie would be too modest about exposing their tools and we'd get something closer to Forge than the original HEK. But like I said, I would love a return to Halo modding glory, but I think there is reason for skepticism.

ODX
July 17th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Doesn't Bungie have some 'editing kit' in Reach that's "So powerful we made some of the levels with it," or something like that? Or am I confusing that with some other game...

ICEE
July 17th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Reach CE would give me a reason to buy the game. And mod.

Heathen
July 17th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Also, if he didn't have clearance to reveal it, the thread would have been taken down by now.

That's a contradiction to limited's comment, so you wouldn't use the word also.

You would use "yet, but, however, etc."

Doesn't Bungie have some 'editing kit' in Reach that's "So powerful we made some of the levels with it," or something like that? Or am I confusing that with some other game...

I believe you mentioned that in a thread, which got me really excited, but it was quickly dismissed by someone. For some reason I think it was either Inferno, ICEE, Con, or most likely Kornman.

Kornman00
July 17th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Yeah, that would be them talking about Forge 2.0 lol

It was in a non-Bungie posted article so the quote may have been taken out of context somewhat, but they were talking about MP maps specifically, not in general.

ODX
July 17th, 2010, 07:30 PM
It was in a non-Bungie posted article so the quote may have been taken out of context somewhat, but they were talking about MP maps specifically, not in general.Ah yes, now I remember.

But I don't believe I had posted that..

Dwood
July 17th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Forge will never be able to replace a full-on 3-D creation Program.

Heathen
July 17th, 2010, 07:54 PM
It isn't trying to.

t3h m00kz
July 17th, 2010, 08:27 PM
the two aren't even remotely comparable.

Dwood
July 17th, 2010, 08:38 PM
If he's that bold in saying it, then either it was a joke to spread around a rumor OR it's nearing a confident press release.

Edit: That "Forge will never replace a 3d modeling platform bit" was at the statement of them "making whole levels with forge".

Amit
July 17th, 2010, 09:01 PM
This guy is just a big cock tease. There will be no H3PC and fucking hell should freeze over if a version of it should come out in the next 2 years. I can't even begin to imagine how one could think that Reach would be a possibility on the PC.

ejburke
July 17th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Lest we all forget that even Gearbox got screwed by Microsoft with regards to the HEK. They were showing it off all summer prior to the release of HPC, only to have it nowhere to be found on the CD that they managed to squeeze Halo onto. We tend to forget how fucking weird of a solution Halo Custom Edition was -- here we were expecting these features to be patched into HPC proper. That didn't happen. It turned out that Microsoft was scurred even back then and we wound up getting a standalone, unsupported build of Halo 1 multiplayer that we had to download along with the editing kit. I can't think of another game that doubled-down like that. It was almost surreal. It just proves how dedicated Gearbox was to even attempt such a compromise and how soulless an entity Microsoft is to try to withhold "inconvenient" features at the last goddamn minute TWICE now.

So, we don't know if Gearbox would be involved -- that last experience left quite a sour taste in their mouth -- but we know for sure that Microsoft would be. That's enough to dash any hopes I may have.

If he's that bold in saying it, then either it was a joke to spread around a rumor OR it's nearing a confident press release.Or, Reach PC is happening, but Gearbox has nothing to do with it. He just heard it around the office, because 343 employs several ex-GBX employees.

arbiter901
July 17th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Didn't sawnose explain why Halo PC didn't come with a editing kit?
He alaso explained that it has some minor engine differances preventing custom maps?
Korn should be able to clear that up

Kornman00
July 17th, 2010, 09:43 PM
The only "differences" I can figure are no campaign map/data (ie, in bitmaps) and the added ability to have custom maps appear in the map selection UI (plus calculating the map's checksum for validation). Besides that, and probably a few extra dedicated server features (HPC didn't have logging IIRC) I don't know of anything, especially core related, that was actually changed compared to PC.

I think the whole reasoning behind CE was so they could put it out as unsupported but continue to label PC as supported, instead of patching the existing game and having to technically support it (or MGS having to anyway).

In the end, it could all have just been a pack of lies[/colins] and :words:

ejburke
July 17th, 2010, 10:33 PM
We were blindsided by Custom Edition. There wasn't a hint that we were getting anything other than a patch until 4-5 months after HPC came out. In fact, their forum posts before that made it sound like they only had a couple of guys intermittently working on the editing kit. It just sounded like they were waiting for something to happen. Maybe for Microsoft to change their mind, maybe for further support, who knows. I just think that the editing kit could have and should have been included at launch and supported by HPC, but it wasn't. For whatever reason.

There are a lot of parallels between the development of HPC and H2V with the editing kit features being touted prior to release and then mysteriously being cut out or neutered at the last second. The big difference was that one company found a way to keep a promise that was broken at release and the other company was dissolved. We are just lucky we got CE at all. Such a weird solution to such a niche problem. I don't think most companies would have bothered. If it had never happened, we might have been greatful for the H2EK.

Okay, no we wouldn't.

AAA
July 18th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I'm still upset over HPC's original shaders being cut out for low-standard PCs and the fact that they're still being held onto... :( ... or maybe they've been deleted?

PopeAK49
July 18th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I was thinking about moving to cryengine 3 but looks like i'll have to mess with Halo Reach: CE before moving on....

Dwood
July 18th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I'm still upset over HPC's original shaders being cut out for low-standard PCs and the fact that they're still being held onto... :( ... or maybe they've been deleted?

You can replace them if someone writes better ones.

t3h m00kz
July 19th, 2010, 12:50 AM
this thread has 6 pages

that thread has 4 pages

for some reason that doesn't make sense to me

Kornman00
July 19th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Some people here are banned there :giggle:

Shock120
July 19th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Some people here are banned there :giggle:I assume they were banned for being awesome. (why were they banned?)

Siliconmaster
July 19th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Imagine our wonderfully mature community minus three or four years of maturity :downs:

Futzy
July 19th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Tried logging in, but can't post because i tried to change my email but the confirmation never arrived and my account was deactivated. Last visited 2006

Dwood
July 19th, 2010, 12:44 PM
"Congratulations 9-mm man you've just been perma banned" 9-mm man is Limited. <Well, that's Ghost from when he got bant. It was p. Funny, too bad I wasn't there for it. :(

SnaFuBAR
July 19th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I was thinking about moving to cryengine 3 but looks like i'll have to mess with Halo Reach: CE before moving on....
there's not going to be a reach CE.

Siliconmaster
July 19th, 2010, 03:48 PM
^Posted twice, for seriousness.

Edit: lol, fine.

I do think it's unlikely, but it would be nice.

Kornman00
July 19th, 2010, 03:51 PM
there's not going to be a reach CE.
But I want my Halo: Reach: Custom Evolved :saddowns:

Shock120
July 19th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Everyone that worked so hard on Halo CE, deserves a better game to compliment their ability/abilities.
I wouldn't mind if some modding teams came back to make Campaign maps, at least this time round they will be online co-op.
Maybe GBX can bump up that ol'16 player limit.

paladin
July 19th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Some people here are banned there :giggle:

I was banned 3 times ;)

Once, because of our lovely Ghost

English Mobster
July 19th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Surprisingly, I haven't been banned there.

Although it helps that I've made MAYBE at most 100 posts.

Heathen
July 19th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Never been. Just made my account.

DarkHalo003
July 19th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Just to let everyone know, I guessed it first! :tinfoil:

If Halo Reach does get ported, I hope it's basically everything that Halo CE (as far as basic usability) and more. You know what I mean? :eng101:

Amit
July 19th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Just to let everyone know, I guessed it first! :tinfoil:

If Halo Reach does get ported, I hope it's basically everything that Halo CE (as far as basic usability) and more. You know what I mean? :eng101:

You guessed randomly and a GBX moderator says something vague to get everyone riled up over nothing. Don't hype it, you'll just end up getting heartbroken.

Dwood
July 19th, 2010, 10:47 PM
You guessed randomly and a GBX moderator says something vague to get everyone riled up over nothing. Don't hype it, you'll just end up getting heartbroken.

Complete buzzkill. :(

ICEE
July 20th, 2010, 01:35 AM
We could be the official support forum for the editing kit. We'd probably get half tards and half modders.

Better than the present's all tards eh?

Amit
July 20th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Complete buzzkill. :(

It's for your own good.

Inferno
July 20th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Better than the present's all tards eh?

If you left it might be about half and half.

:downs:

DarkHalo003
July 21st, 2010, 09:31 AM
It's for your own good.
Aw, can't I just dream for 5 more minutes. :saddowns:

Dwood
July 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Doogie Howser / Dr. Horrible bonus edition:

http://www.botman2.com/images/StarshipTroopers.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfaXt1rC2G0)

I still don't trust those eyes.

Hunter
July 27th, 2010, 06:22 PM
GBX Forums suck, I joined, don't even think I posted. And then went back one day to find i was banned :S Don't even know why...

FRain
July 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Gearbox is classic.

I've was there when they were using the old school PHPBB theme.

samm5506
July 31st, 2010, 02:33 PM
Oh man, I completely forgot about this username.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/SPARTAN04/2010-07-31_1515.png
I had to request my login info from my old e-mail address.

jcap
August 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM
Gearbox is classic.

I've was there when they were using the old school PHPBB theme.
Just FYI, they never used PHPBB. Their forums were powered by UBB before switching to vBulletin.

FRain
August 1st, 2010, 03:05 PM
Er, that's what I meant. That was 5 years ago so I didn't quite remember, it was a type of BB forum.

oh shit i forgot everyone whining about how bright the colors were when we switched to vbulletin.

supersniper
August 1st, 2010, 04:49 PM
omg i remember that, with the crappy light blue oh wait... it's still here :O

Heathen
August 3rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Er, that's what I meant. That was 5 years ago so I didn't quite remember, it was a type of BB forum.

oh shit i forgot everyone whining about how bright the colors were when we switched to vbulletin.

Just like they bitched about EVERYTHING when modacity changed.