PDA

View Full Version : Design Help?

DarkHalo003
July 21st, 2010, 10:28 AM
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll266/DarkHalo003/Help%20Plox/helpdesign.jpg

Basically, I'm modding a level (it's not what you think and yes that is B30) and this section is one I'm really not confident about. It seems kind of half-assed (not the encounter, the layout of scenery) and I would just like some tips on some good ways of changing this up, like some new kinds of scenery or something to make it look convincing enough. It is supposed to be a Covenant blockade on the beach to keep land vehicles from continuing forward and attacking you with a group of crashed SIII's. Any help would be great.

Protip: I will not accept answers like "DON'T MOD MAPS YOU TERD AND MAKE YOUR OWN MAPS INSTEAD." This map will probably be my last premade BSP mod (not my last Project in HCE).

neuro
July 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM
try usng more than 2 items, all rotated EXACTLY the same way.

Higuy
July 21st, 2010, 10:46 AM
try usng more than 2 items, all rotated EXACTLY the same way.
Pretty much this.. lol.

Dwood
July 21st, 2010, 11:30 AM
Put some trees and rocks in there. You only need 2 or 3 covenant triple boxes.

DarkHalo003
July 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Well it's a beach. I'm not going to place pine trees on the cove, PLUS there's a Wraith, which trees would completely obstruct. The point is that the Covenant are blocking up the Route. Actually, I think I'm going to change that area up quite a bit, mainly because any warthog or tank could drive across the side of the beach and disregard that area.

Mainly, I'm trying to keep the area looking convincing without completely screwing the FPS with a ton of scenery and AI. IF there is anything I'm worried about, it's that. I was trying to make the Covenant Crates like those Blocks in Halo3, but that's not convincing at all I'm guessing. I'll try some other things and come back later.

higuy has no room to talk

sleepy1212
July 21st, 2010, 12:11 PM
First, mix up the covenant scenery, use singles etc... and try to think about how the encounter would go (which is probably why you should listen to Mrs. Guy)

also, tactically it makes no sense.
also also, if you don't want players to go around it then use the scenery/AI to guide the player in another direction.

DarkHalo003
July 21st, 2010, 12:33 PM
Okay, I see what you mean. I just took inventory on all of my Covy stuff, so I'm going to redo the layout and encounter of that area.

Does anyone know if the CMT Wraith causes severe lag? I want to use it, but I think it's causing an additional lag fest when one looks directly in its direction while there are other AI and scenery around it. If there's anything with the level that needs reworking on the outside it's the bad FPS (also due to the bigger encounters).

L0d3x
July 21st, 2010, 12:42 PM
Use some of the single crates as well, and mix it up a bit. You can tilt some of the single crates to create nice firing positions for covenant infantry. Also try using rocks and crates + shields to create a few covenant "infantry camps", so to speak. And it technically should go down all the way to the water, but I remember you can drive WAAAAAAAY down in the ocean, so you might want to consider a mix of Huge Rocks scenery + death barriers.

Keep it real

DarkHalo003
July 21st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Use some of the single crates as well, and mix it up a bit. You can tilt some of the single crates to create nice firing positions for covenant infantry. Also try using rocks and crates + shields to create a few covenant "infantry camps", so to speak. And it technically should go down all the way to the water, but I remember you can drive WAAAAAAAY down in the ocean, so you might want to consider a mix of Huge Rocks scenery + death barriers.

Keep it real
Thanks Lodex and Sleepy, I've got a good idea on what to do now. How would I go about Death Barriers? In ever really used them before.