PDA

View Full Version : The best way to unwrap cliffs?

Hydrogen32
July 26th, 2010, 03:47 PM
whats the best way? because i go unwrap box map because ill unwrap 4 faces at a time because it looks horrible if i do it one face at a time. (note my cliffs are b40 style)

Siliconmaster
July 26th, 2010, 07:24 PM
For relatively vertical cliffs, I typically do two box uv maps- one for the cliff faces going on the x axis, and then one for the ones going on the y axis. If absolutely necessary, one more at an angle right at the curve between the two. Then I stitch them together in unwrap uvw, and fix the stretched faces right where the curve meets. That gives a fairly accurate flattened image of the cliffs, all the way around the curves. When it comes to tunnels in the cliffs, or really twisty uneven cliffs, I have no clue.

Higuy
July 26th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I select my cliffs in parts, box map them, switch to unwrap modifier, flatten map it, and then stitch them back together and adjust to fit the cliff texture.

Siliconmaster
July 26th, 2010, 08:04 PM
^This, basically.

LlamaMaster
July 26th, 2010, 10:39 PM
The best way to unwrap cliffs is to use an auto-unwrapper (like Unfold 3D). This isn't just *my opinion*, it really is the best way. Max's UV tools are horrific for organic surfaces (and arguably just horrific).

Siliconmaster
July 26th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Heh- never even heard of it. Might have to check that out.

Llama Juice
July 26th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Box map it.

Done.

It's perfect.

Nah, I haven't used Max's UV tools in much detail... so I'm useless. Maya I'd just auto map (box map) it and then select the shells and merge them together as they need to be and then relax it a bit... I dunno what tools to use to do that in max, but... yar.

Inferno
July 27th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Open it up in UVW Unwrap and seem it all together manually. Best results require hard work~

neuro
July 27th, 2010, 01:08 AM
flatten your UVs, stitch it all together, then relax the thing, so you've got minumal distortion.

LlamaMaster
July 27th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Best results require hard work~

Ugh, that is so far from the truth it hurts. If there are ways to bypass hard and tedious processes, then there is no reason to waste your time. Something isn't necessarily going to look better just because you spent a lot of time on it. Zbrush has been following that philosophy for years, and they have come up with some incredible tools.

DEElekgolo
July 27th, 2010, 02:35 PM
flatten your UVs, stitch it all together, then relax the thing, so you've got minumal distortion.
This.

Stop trying to avoid effort guys!

sleepy1212
July 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I've tried unfold and unwrella on cliffs and couldn't get good results, although i'm sure i did it wrong i still gave up on a fun map due to the UV's

DEElekgolo
July 27th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Headus is pretty good at unwrapping cliffs too, but you shouldn't rely on external tools too much.

LlamaMaster
July 27th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I've tried unfold and unwrella on cliffs and couldn't get good results, although i'm sure i did it wrong i still gave up on a fun map due to the UV's
Unfold works extremely well is you know what you are doing, but you already admitted you didn't, soo...

The best way to go about doing it is to systematically detach areas of your cliff and export them to obj. They should be as large as possible to minimize seams, but avoid stretching over large awkward protrusions in the cliff face (although considering what typical Halo cliffs look like this isn't usually a problem). The point of exporting chunks of the cliff into Unfold3D rather than the whole thing is twofold: the camera system sucks ass, and the seams will have already been made. At that point you unwrap, relax, export the newly UV'ed model, and import it back into max. Reattach the chunk to your BSP, and then weld it back on.

If all that sounds really complicated, it's not. The whole process can literally take a few minutes if you know what you are doing, and it comes out with barely any stretching.

you shouldn't rely on external tools too much.

Why.

FRain
July 31st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Headus is pretty good at unwrapping cliffs too, but you shouldn't rely on external tools too much.

coming from the person who does not know how to unwrap a symmetrical object

Con
July 31st, 2010, 12:57 PM
I just unwrap it one section at a time and stitch the UVs. You should be able to end up with something seamless.

samm5506
July 31st, 2010, 02:53 PM
What about pelt mapping?

DEElekgolo
July 31st, 2010, 02:56 PM
What about pelt mapping?
That works but you still still need to go section per section.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?

Hydrogen32
July 31st, 2010, 10:51 PM
thanks still working on it :D i did it the hard way
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac295/hcehydrogen/2-5.jpg

samm5506
August 1st, 2010, 08:18 PM
thanks still working on it :D i did it the hard way
<image>
Fantastic job! Looks to be turning out great, although I think I see a problem in the bottom left corner of the picture which should probably be fixed (the one offset triangle).

Con
August 2nd, 2010, 02:25 AM
Some parts of the cliff look stretched while others look compressed. You should try to even that out a bit.

neuro
August 2nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
dang, relax your UVs.