PDA

View Full Version : [TAG] Halo 1 style HUD.

azjesse
July 29th, 2010, 09:38 PM
This is a test map where i added my halo 1 heads up display recreation for release in a .map file so as to make sure nothing was missing.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/101767335-4.jpg
http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/101767363-4.jpg

DOWNLOAD http://www.mediafire.com/?av1cc38v4arctgu DOWNLOAD

This includes a replacement for all default halo 1 weapons and a few halo 3 ones as well.
All bitmaps except the needler meter and most reticles were made and tagged by me.\

The level itself was a small version of tutorial and was used for testing the fade of multiple materials on a BSP.

To fully use this HUD, it is recommended you replace the the following items after full extraction:

GLOBALS
Under the "Grenades" Tab for the frag
hud interface, set it to

ce\hud\grenades\default

For plasma, set it to

ce\hud\grenades\plasma_flare

Under the "Interface bitmaps" tab set the

"Hud digits definition" to ce\hud\numbers

To add the health bars and shield meter open the following:

characters\cyborg_mp\cyborg_mp.biped

Under the "New HUD Interfaces" tab, set the "default\solo player hud" and "Multiplayer HUD" to

ce\hud\interfaces\cyborg

WEAPONS
To replace the weapon interface for the assault rifle (and other weapons) open the

tags\weapons\assault rifle\assault rifle.weapon file

Scroll down to "Interface" and set the "hud interface" box to

ce\hud\weapons\assault rifle 60

To replace the HUD for the rest of the weapons, follow the above instructions, but substitute the "assault rifle"
parts for the weapon you are using.

PICKUP ICAWNS

open your tags\ui\hud\default.hud_globals file and look at the "icon bitmap" box and paste this in without the ".

"bitmaps\halo_1\hud_msg_icons"

I have alternately included extra weapon hud variants for

Assault rifle (32 shot)
Mauler
Shotgun (6 shot)
SMG
Magnum (8 shot)
Battle Rifle (CMT with grenade hud support)
To make this compatible with the regular battle rifle, open the Battle rifle.weapon_hudInterface file
and where it says "Child HUD" at the very top, paste this in without the " and then it will work properly.

"ce\hud\weapons\master\master rounds"

Credits

Jesse for making almost the entire thing.
HDoan for his conduit numbers which i modified.
Advancebo for his reticles.
Bungie for some things.
DSalimander for the BSP
MattDratt for uploading.
If you do not like it, just don't download it.

Alternate Halomaps Link
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=33099

staticchanger
July 29th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Looks sweet, and very uuh original? No really good job the screenshots look nice; I'm downloading the map now.

staticchanger
July 29th, 2010, 09:54 PM
The only complaint I have is the fact that the AR's ammo depletes backwards, so does the rocket launcher's. It threw me off for a second. Fix that and it'll be perfect. I really love the grenade icons because there is a very noticeable difference even when your not looking straight at it.

azjesse
July 29th, 2010, 11:43 PM
The only complaint I have is the fact that the AR's ammo depletes backwards, so does the rocket launcher's. It threw me off for a second. Fix that and it'll be perfect. I really love the grenade icons because there is a very noticeable difference even when your not looking straight at it.

Yeah., I'm used to making meters drainer from left to right. I really didn't think anyone would notice (or care.)

As for the gametype icon Just use Polar bear's H2 HUD fix for that.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2479

This will also overwrite the tags that make the gametype icon, shown next to the shield meter on the default HUD, making them blank. Replace the following files with the ones provided.

tags\ui\shell\bitmaps\team_background.bitmap
tags\ui\shell\bitmaps\team_icon_ctf.bitmap
tags\ui\shell\bitmaps\team_icon_king.bitmap
tags\ui\shell\bitmaps\team_icon_oddball.bitmap
tags\ui\shell\bitmaps\team_icon_race.bitmap
tags\ui\shell\bitmaps\team_icon_slayer.bitmap

Heathen
July 31st, 2010, 01:15 AM
OKay. I'm confused. You recreated the halo 1 hud in halo 1?

ODX
July 31st, 2010, 01:45 AM
It's not exactly a 'recreation,' so much as it's styled (just like the title says :O) after the Halo 1 HUD.

Take a look at the pictures he posted.

Heathen
August 3rd, 2010, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I looked at them, but I still dont really understand. They look like bad versions of the original, in the original...

Lateksi
August 4th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Well the point of CE is that you can make pretty much anything you want. That HUD is the best looking custom one so far. But no one has made a better job than the H1 original yet. That's why I usually don't like custom ones... But still personally I like that one. Nice gradients and very simple.

Heathen
August 4th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Oh, so he added gradients? I'm not trying to be coy or condescending, as I'm sure its good because of other members reactions, but I really don't understand. Perhaps someone can pm me and explain?

Limited
August 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Title is misleading, shouldnt it just be "edited hud".

ODX
August 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM
But it's not edited, he kind of made the separate bitmaps by himself?...as well as added a few new ammo meters for some Halo 3 weapons?

Donut
August 4th, 2010, 04:01 PM
i dont see whats misleading here. the title is "halo 1 style HUD" and what he posted is indeed a halo 1 style hud. speaking of which, its pretty nice looking. im not fond of how you only have 5 blocks under the shield meter. i say stick with 8. i remember trying to make a meter for the health, but it would always decrease in the same increments. i dont know if thats just how the damage works out with the default tags, but sticking with 8 blocks under the shield meter would probably be better, if not just for consistency's sake.

p0lar_bear
August 10th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Personally I like the... bubbliness... of it? The elements seem too intrusive, though, and how well does it display when over bright colors (think blood gulch)? Remember, a HUD is supposed to give vital information to a player while not getting in the way, but still being visible to the player when they want to look at it.

At any rate, I hope you learned a thing or two about HUDs in this engine, and you can put that knowledge to good use later on.