PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft 2, campaign discussion (spoilers)

Bodzilla
August 2nd, 2010, 07:29 AM
so now that a heap of us have finished it...

Where the fuck was Duran. That sneaky fucker didnt put in a performance so i wonder whats happened to him, his hybrids are here and i suspected a zel naga (afterall duran said he's working for a higher power) but so little info on them D:!!)

Anyone else get goosebumps when raynor shot his mate and carried a very human, vulnerable kerrigan off char.
Who was that on the other end of tycus's suit? Was that mengsk?

Now as for the upcomiing protoss and zerg campaigns if it's anything like what the terran was we'll have to assume the role of one of the major story drivers of the races, and with kerrigan seemingly reduced and out of the picture.... Who is going to lead the zerg?
Will we play as the hybrid???

so many questions so little time.
Get your nerd on people, it's about to get serious

sdavis117
August 2nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
The Zerg campaign will take place before the Terran one. Also, I know the title has a spoiler warning, but it still wouldn't hurt to put in some spoiler tags for a spoiler that big.

Bodzilla
August 2nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
having threads where everything is in a spoiler is a pain in the ass.

Says campaign discussion, spoilers inside so i dont know how you could get a bigger warning.

The zerg campaign? that would make for a boing campaign man, remember that after brood wars kerrigan went under ground for four years while the zerg evolved.
no fighting :S

Siliconmaster
August 2nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
Loved the campaign, and I did get goosebumps at that last scene.

I had wondered at the zerg campaign too. If the Xel Naga plotline is the overarching trilogy plot, and Kerrigan's death allowed the Zerg to become the pawns of the Hybrid, then has turning Kerrigan human again freed the zerg to do whatever they actually want to do? Could this turn into a 3v1 epic fight against the Hybrid? SOmehow I don't see the Zerg becoming friendly, but at the same time that would be pretty badass.

Dwood
August 5th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Last I was aware, wasn't the Terran trying to control the zerg? I haven't even heard of the "Hybrid" till this campaign. Also, I can't help but feel like this plot line makes me unhappy.

Bodzilla
August 5th, 2010, 05:17 AM
See theres 2 terran though.

what happened was the terran in the korhal sector are the surviver of a bunch of prison ships that mal functioned and drifted off into space when they where orbitting earth.
In Broodwars the earth terrans (aka us) had been observing the korhal sector when the zerg and protoss first showed, so the world united behind a single front called the UED (united earth Directorate) and set off to the sector to dominate that part of the galaxy.

Through extensive study and testing they developed drugs to control the overmind, but later lost control when kerrigan allied herself with raynor and the protoss and assualted the overmind killing it.
After they lost control it was all kinda downhill from there and ended with kerrigan giving the UED a few days head start leaving char with the little they had left, before she sent the swarm after them and annihalated them, none made it back and as far as i remember, no messages made it back either.

Thats why we are back to Mengsk, who's an original terran of the sector and who overthrew the terran Confederacy (with the help of an uninfested kerrigan and Raynor) and formed the terran Dominion with himself as emperor.
He's corrupt as shit so Raynor broke off with him, stole his flagship the hyperion and started building a revolution to overthrow him.

All good?

Righto and as for the hybrid, it was actually a secret mission (games did this awesome shit in the 90's) and it unlocked when you beat this level that gave you 30 minutes to beat, when you did it in less then 10.
You take over control of zeratul and you explore this other world, where you find that Duran (the guy that betrayed teh UED, and worked with kerrigan... then mysteriously dissapeard.... has been doing.

Under direction of a higher power (who we now know is a left over xel naga) has been creating a hybrid of the zerg and protoss.
when i saw that when i first played.... i creamed myself.
(shame you dont get to play as a hybrid race though, would of fucking LOVED a 4th race in starcraft)

Amit
August 5th, 2010, 10:37 AM
(shame you dont get to play as a hybrid race though, would of fucking LOVED a 4th race in starcraft)

Maybe they'll come out with a surprise fourth game with the Hybrid campaign. It'll sell, so why not? Also, how will multiplayer work form now on? It came with WIngs of Liberty, but will anything be added to it in the others games? Or will it just be the same multiplayer game to make each game uniform for players who didn't buy the other ones?

Siliconmaster
August 5th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Blizzard has said that they didn't add a 4th race because they liked the balance between the three original races so well. Also, they will be adding units to the multiplayer, similar to Brood War's upgrades to the original Starcraft.

Phopojijo
August 5th, 2010, 05:29 PM
There's not 3 games... there's 1 game with 2 expansion packs.

Inferno
August 5th, 2010, 05:30 PM
3 races is nice and the balance is great.

Siliconmaster
August 5th, 2010, 05:52 PM

Depends on how much Blizzard changes. If you count half the game as campaign, and half as multiplayer (that's all up to the player's opinion, I'm just saying that for this situation) then this first part has both. The next part has another campaign, so .5, and then new units, so that's .25. So I'd say it's like 1, .75, .75. And Blizzard has said that if the second two "thirds" have less stuff than the first did, since the first introduced the entire multiplayer base, then they'll price it less.

Inferno
August 5th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Depends on how much Blizzard changes. If you count half the game as campaign, and half as multiplayer (that's all up to the player's opinion, I'm just saying that for this situation) then this first part has both. The next part has another campaign, so .5, and then new units, so that's .25. So I'd say it's like 1, .75, .75. And Blizzard has said that if the second two "thirds" have less stuff than the first did, since the first introduced the entire multiplayer base, then they'll price it less.

Or maybe they will port maps from SC1 and sell them for 25 bucks as DLC.

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Games/images-2/bobby-kotick.jpg

*inspired by flibits burning hate towards activision*

Amit
August 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM

I realized once I thought about it. Makes more sense that way. At least now it shouldn't cost as much as a full priced game...

Or maybe they will port maps from SC1 and sell them for 25 bucks as DLC.

*inspired by flibits burning hate towards activision*

DOn't post that! They might take it seriously!

Dwood
August 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM
They already did that in Lost Temple heh.

Dwood
August 7th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Also, just finished campaign and crap. Hate the art style, it does not fit the story, however the gameplay and missions were fairly solid and kept me playing through the day (almost sun up to sun down today haha)

I wonder however, what's going to happen with the Zerg? Are the Hybrids or Xel' Naga remnant going to create a new "Overmind" as it were? I am disappointed in the lack of full-detail renderings of cutscenes that can't be avoided through separate paths. Another thing, I wonder how playing as protoss will work out in the 3rd "Expansion" as far as I can tell Blizzard could very well leave the story where it's at and not have to worry about much as there's only a few parts with loose ends. (Such as, will the Zerg be searching for Kerrigan or will they be under her control still (doubt that part but I still find it an interesting question....) or will there be more Terran attempts to kill her, as well as attempts to control the Zerg?

So many questions.

Siliconmaster
August 7th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I am disappointed in the lack of full-detail renderings of cutscenes that can't be avoided through separate paths.

Except for the very few ingame-ingame cutscenes (actually on the maps, instead of on the ingame engine), the ingame cutscenes looked pretty damned good, better than the first game's prerendered ones. I'm running it on Ultra- might look worse on lower settings. Is that what you're talking about?

Dwood
August 7th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Except for the very few ingame-ingame cutscenes (actually on the maps, instead of on the ingame engine), the ingame cutscenes looked pretty damned good, better than the first game's prerendered ones. I'm running it on Ultra- might look worse on lower settings. Is that what you're talking about?

Yeah... my graphics are horribad so all cutscenes that aren't fully rendered look like crap.

Siliconmaster
August 7th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Well thar be yer problem. :P I understand why Blizzard did it the way they did- they could plan the really important ones long before hand, and then keep working on the ingame ones right up until the end- much easier to make changes that way.

Amit
August 7th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah... my graphics are horribad so all cutscenes that aren't fully rendered look like crap.

I don't understand. You're using a Radeon HD 4850. The iMac I play on uses a HD 4670 and it looks spectacular.

Dwood
August 7th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I don't understand. You're using a Radeon HD 4850. The iMac I play on uses a HD 4670 and it looks spectacular.

I'm not using that computer, it's halfway across the country right now.

Amit
August 7th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I'm not using that computer, it's halfway across the country right now.

Shit, son.

Dwood
August 8th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Shit, son.

ye bro.

FireDragon04
August 11th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I just finished campaign yesterday, and it's up there as one of the best games I've played this year with Mass Effect 2. Engaging story, fantastic graphics (I'm using a 9800GT) and solid gameplay. The best RTS I've ever played - period. I'm a big Single player guy so, if the SP doesn't captivate me then I have no reason to play multiplayer (thats prob why I hate COD games - I'm a die hard Sci-fi fanatic aswell so).

The 'prophecy' missions were you play as the Protoss really caught me off guard and were a really good break in terran gameplay. Voice acting was great, loved that they used Tricia Helfer as Kerrigan in this one, she's great. Also the ingame cutscenes were THE best I've seen in an RTS and look better then most 'AAA' console games do now. (I was playing on either High or Ultra, I don't remember)

Hotrod
August 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Shit man, I just beat the campaign and wow...I really don't know what else to say. Best campaign I've beaten this year. The expansions cannot come soon enough.

kid908
August 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Was really great. Can't wait to follow up with Heart of Swarm. I have to say I was kinda disappointed at the end when Tychus died :(

Love the surprise Protoss mini mission, but wished they kept the ingame upgrade per mission instead of intermission upgrade.

I like watching the UNN news :) and the parody commercial iPistol. haha.

thehoodedsmack
August 13th, 2010, 02:14 PM
They didn't show the severity of Tychus' killing wound, so I'm thinking he might get brought back from the dead via some Zerg voodoo. Essentially taking over Kerrigan's role of Human/Zerg villain.

If that happened, you can probably bet that he'd team up with Mengsk to trade control over the Zerg for his freedom, plus a cure from whatever Zerg nastiness is up in his body.

Just a thought.

Inferno
August 13th, 2010, 02:27 PM
They didn't show the severity of Tychus' killing wound, so I'm thinking he might get brought back from the dead via some Zerg voodoo. Essentially taking over Kerrigan's role of Human/Zerg villain.

If that happened, you can probably bet that he'd team up with Mengsk to trade control over the Zerg for his freedom, plus a cure from whatever Zerg nastiness is up in his body.

Just a thought.

It was a headshot. I don't think he made it bro.

thehoodedsmack
August 13th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Like I said, just a thought. There are other problems with the idea anyways.

Zerg wouldn't want much to do with him anyways, since he's got no psychic powers, but it'd be neat to see him make a comeback.

Phopojijo
August 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM
You don't see him get shot let alone in the head, you don't see a body, you don't see anything.

Also -- I think this pretty clearly places Mengsk in (at least partial) responsibility for the Hybrids.

Dominion/Xel'Naga alliance? Maybe more?

Inferno
August 13th, 2010, 02:55 PM
You don't see him get shot let alone in the head, you don't see a body, you don't see anything.

Also -- I think this pretty clearly places Mengsk in (at least partial) responsibility for the Hybrids.

Dominion/Xel'Naga alliance? Maybe more?

The only opening in his armor is the head. That's where Raynor would shoot.

Amit
August 13th, 2010, 03:48 PM
The only opening in his armor is the head. That's where Raynor would shoot.

This. Think about all the bullets that have come in contact with that suit. Raynor knows that the round wouldn't stop Tychus. He would have to aim for the head. I just don't understand why he didn't give some of his raiders orders to restrain Tychus prior to retrieving Kerrigan. He knew that Tychus would kill Kerrigan is he had the chance. That would have prevented him from having to kill Tychus.

Siliconmaster
August 13th, 2010, 03:54 PM
This. Think about all the bullets that have come in contact with that suit. Raynor knows that the round wouldn't stop Tychus. He would have to aim for the head. I just don't understand why he didn't give some of his raiders orders to restrain Tychus prior to retrieving Kerrigan. He knew that Tychus would kill Kerrigan is he had the chance. That would have prevented him from having to kill Tychus.

I don't think Raynar was thinking about much else at that point other than "where's Kerrigan, where's Kerrigan, is she ok? etc."

Amit
August 13th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Tychus would have succeeded in killing Kerrigan if Raynor didn't kill him. How will a single bullet stop a mighty hulking piece of armour without killing its operator. It can't.

However, that part cuts off. Raynor could have just randomly fired somewhere on the armour just to make Tychus flinch or something. At that point Tychus could have been restrained.

Phopojijo
August 13th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Or he did it to make Mengsk think Tychus died... since Raynor knows all about Tychus' suit because of the scan on it.

Just because the only way that would kill Tychus would be shot in the face... doesn't mean he did it.

kid908
August 13th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Or he did it to make Mengsk think Tychus died... since Raynor knows all about Tychus' suit because of the scan on it.

Just because the only way that would kill Tychus would be shot in the face... doesn't mean he did it.

and Mengsk could have activated the organ failure in Tychus and he ends up dead. So, unless they actually disabled that, Tychus is dead whether Raynor shot him or Mengsk fail safe did.

Phopojijo
August 14th, 2010, 01:50 PM
and Mengsk could have activated the organ failure in Tychus and he ends up dead. So, unless they actually disabled that, Tychus is dead whether Raynor shot him or Mengsk fail safe did.I know about the "Gun to his Head"... but that could have been what he shot... etc.

There's many ways Tychus could have lived... and they deliberately didn't show you that he died. It could have been for effect, but don't rule it out.

Terin
August 16th, 2010, 03:52 PM
The zerg invasion has been stopped, and the Queen of Blades has been restored to her original human form of Sarah Kerrigan. But the victory has come at a heavy cost: Tychus Findlay is dead, and Arcturus Mengsk remains secure on his throne.

Discover Kerrigan's fate and the fate of the zerg in the Heart of the Swarm, the next chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy.So yeah.

Amit
August 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM
So yeah.

What's the source?

Terin
August 16th, 2010, 11:00 PM
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1787/asdfdu.png

Amit
August 17th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Snap, can't believe I never saw that.

Bodzilla
August 17th, 2010, 03:00 AM
what? taht his names terin?

Terin
August 17th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Yep. Now ALL OF MODACITY knows of this critical information.

Mission accomplished.

Cojafoji
August 17th, 2010, 10:45 PM
FUUUUUUU NO TYCHUS NOOOOOOO.

Phopojijo
August 18th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah because Blizzard claiming people are dead totally means they're dead... and not coming back as a Dragoon or something... then promptly dying again and rumoured to come back again in a Starcraft 2 expansion.

Inferno
August 18th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Fuck fuck fuck. I only have too beat 1 mission to get normal and hard completionist achievable but it won't let me go back and do it. Stupid 4th protoss mission.

:saddowns:

Phopojijo
August 18th, 2010, 11:55 PM
4th protoss mission isn't that hard... just proton cannon plug the 3 entrances -- have a massive army of colossus, stalkers, etc. Have a probe replace the dead photons... pump out some more units... leave a few hanging around to deal with the Nydus worms before they release their shit.

Inferno
August 19th, 2010, 01:30 AM
4th protoss mission isn't that hard... just proton cannon plug the 3 entrances -- have a massive army of colossus, stalkers, etc. Have a probe replace the dead photons... pump out some more units... leave a few hanging around to deal with the Nydus worms before they release their shit.

I know how to beat it but it's not showing up in my archives.

kid908
August 19th, 2010, 10:50 AM
go to unsave and load the one before char :)

Syuusuke
August 19th, 2010, 06:11 PM
The campaign is pretty brutal on brutal.

Inferno
August 19th, 2010, 06:49 PM
The campaign is pretty brutal on brutal.
I've gotten the first 5 missions on brutal but the rest I've only beaten on hard or normal.

Syuusuke
August 19th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I fiinished it on brutal, my god I don't want to play the expansions on that difficulty.

Inferno
August 19th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I fiinished it on brutal, my god I don't want to play the expansions on that difficulty.

How did you beat the last mission on brutal?

kid908
August 19th, 2010, 10:26 PM
How did you beat the last mission on brutal?
:gonk: Seriously.

well i guess the previous mission would have alot of difference on your personal experience. I took out the ground units and have to deal with air alot. so my massive 6 thor doors held that off.

Syuusuke
August 20th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I got rid of the air units, I should've gotten rid of ground maybe...

You gotta get the nydus worms as soon as they pop up, I got lucky at some of the positions that they popped up at, I used a lot of tanks to defend and some thors, spammed marines, firebats and marauders. (Was actually a bad idea because of kerrigan's aoe attack thingy), but i wasn't going to spam air units on her. The air unit that attacks only ground with straight missiles was pretty useful (i forget the name... phoenix?) But I didn't use too much air because it hits the 200 limit quickly.

About 10 tries and you'll get through it.

Dwood
August 20th, 2010, 12:18 PM
You're talking about Banshees btw.

Syuusuke
August 20th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Oh, I'm not into terran units as much as Protoss, sorry! I pumped out units based on the description "Attacks ground units..."

Cojafoji
August 20th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Finished on brutal a couple nights ago. Not that hard.
Make sure you purchase the missile tower upgrades, missile pods for battle cruiser, and stuff your fortified bunkers with attached guns full of war pigs and engineering bay leveled marines. Then proceed to pump out goliaths at an insane rate. also, fuck banshees. also, get that zerg dampener that slows them down. works WONDERS.

Ifafudafi
August 20th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Played through the campaign again, noticed something: The head scientist dude of Moebius is named Dr. Narud.

Narud spelled backwards is Duran.

COINCIDENCE? :tinfoil:

Siliconmaster
August 20th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Played through the campaign again, noticed something: The head scientist dude of Moebius is named Dr. Narud.

There is no such thing as coincidence.

Phopojijo
August 21st, 2010, 02:45 AM
Especially not with both SC1 and SC2's secret missions... and Findley's boss' hard-on for killing Kerrigan.

Bodzilla
August 21st, 2010, 08:36 AM

bravo sir, bravo.

Syuusuke
August 21st, 2010, 10:14 AM
He buys your protoss/zerg crystals things!

Hotrod
August 21st, 2010, 08:00 PM

Shit man, I never made the connection there! Daaaamn...looks like some serious shit is going to get fucked up. But all for the better :)

Inferno
August 31st, 2010, 11:07 PM
Woop, just finished my speed run of SC2 campaign. Wings of Liberty on normal completed in 6 hours 43 minutes. (exactly 24234 seconds)

Got myself a nice shiny achievable.

http://inferno.codebrainshideout.net/Images/sup.png

t3h m00kz
September 3rd, 2010, 06:34 AM
just finished the campaign on normal. Freaking crazy shit man. last mission had me grinding my eyes out with sandpaper the first few failures

I'm surprised the game was rated Teen with all the gore in some of those cutscenes... INSIDE OF A HYDRALISK SKULL ANYONE?