PDA

View Full Version : H2V Why some people of Modacity hate Halo 2 Vista

CodeBrain
August 22nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
Note: This is a thread for telling a story to new Halo 2 Vista modders, as to why some of Modacity's members do not like Halo 2 Vista.

Well, it began around the year 2007. Halo 2 Vista was announced, and everyone who was in the Halo CE Section at Gearbox's forums was ecstatic. TheGhost decided on buying his own domain, h2vista.net, to "celebrate" the announcement. Almost everyone from the Halo CE section moved over here, except for a few, who took some time to move over. Video's and pictures of Halo 2 Vista were posted. People got even more hyped up. Several of the Halo 2 Vista staff members came over and signed up on to this forum. They were the ones who built even more hype by answering questions, posting more videos, and pictures as well. Videos also came up promising "a fully unlocked editing kit". These updates kept coming until around the day Halo 2 Vista was released. Everyone was so excited to see Halo 2 finally on the PC.

And then...we got left in the dark.

When we installed Halo 2 Vista, we found that the editing kit we were promised was no more, a mirage. All we could see was a locked as hell editing kit, that could only let us make custom bsp's, and nothing else. The tutorial was not correct at all, pointing to files that are non-existent in our tags directory. Halo 2 Vista still had the exact same bugs that Halo 2 Xbox had. The server browser could not function properly, it took quite a while for games to appear. Even the server browser menu would disappear from time to time.

We asked the H2V developers why this was happening. Very few responded. The most helpful staff member, however, was "bum has knife". He helped us as much as he could. Unfortunately, even he deserted us after a while. Apparently, Microsoft dumped Hired Gun, the developers who made the game, as well as Pi Studios, who made the editing kit.

With no one to turn to, we had to learn everything ourselves. Tutorials started coming out at a slow pace (I made a couple of terrible tutorials, don't watch them) and several people just quit right off the bat. The old Halo CE Modders tried to bring the game back to life again (Kornman's unlocked editing kit, H2Guerilla Radio, TheGhost's 3ds max plugins, etc) however they were lost after some time.

So, this is probably why some of us at Modacity don't like Halo 2 Vista, and burden anyone else who attempt to fix it. We were promised something, and we did not get it.

Now, this is my rendition on how the whole situation happened. I am certain this is not exactly how it happened, but I think I got it close enough. If anyone would like to chip in, it would be greatly appreciated.

InnerGoat
August 22nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
Yeah basically that :/

The_Peace_Keeper
August 22nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Yes i know that this is how this happened and i can understand how you all feel but that all happened in 2007, You shouldn't take your anger out on people who are still trying to help this game it just isn't right.

Yes i can understand that you are mad and that microsoft let you down but when haven't they. People like kornman, Theghost, jaharin(hope i spelt it right), E3po, Grimdommer, and more Have tried to help the game and that is awesome and if they would they should continue to because this game can achive great things if people would spend time on it. with what is doable now in H2v is probably things people never thought would happen.

I honestly think what this game needs is dedication from people who dont give up like Resinball or Kantanomo or Shock120 and others. They have done things that many people thought would never happen for this game. I also think everything/every one deserves a second chance.

Inferno
August 22nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Yes i know that this is how this happened and i can understand how you all feel but that all happened in 2007, You shouldn't take your anger out on people who are still trying to help this game it just isn't right.

Yes i can understand that you are mad and that microsoft let you down but when haven't they. People like kornman, Theghost, jaharin(hope i spelt it right), E3po, Grimdommer, and more Have tried to help the game and that is awesome and if they would they should continue to because this game can achive great things if people would spend time on it. with what is doable now in H2v is probably things people never thought would happen.

I honestly think what this game needs is dedication from people who dont give up like Resinball or Kantanomo or Shock120 and others. They have done things that many people thought would never happen for this game. I also think everything/every one deserves a second chance.

But why dedicate yourself to fix something when there are hundreds or MUCH better engines and editing kits out there. Hell, even CE is a better game for modding than H2V. In fact, even H2X has gone farther in modding than H2V.

Vicky
August 22nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
I think for many ppl the game was a turndown as well.. Although i enjoyed it for a while, looked pretty nice too, but compared to the high pace of Halo1 it was slow and slugish with an fps max of around 70 compared to Halo1 with a possible fps of 500+. And during that while more and more (speed)hackers turned up ingame. No fun no more.. and back to Halo1.

Kornman00
August 22nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
We asked the H2V developers why this was happening. Very few responded. The most helpful staff member, however, was "bum has knife". He helped us as much as he could. Unfortunately, even he deserted us after a while. Apparently, Microsoft dumped Hired Gun, the developers who made the game, as well as Pi Studios, who made the editing kit.
bum didn't desert, he moved on. Deserting would be if MS allowed HG to continue to stick around but he just stopped paying the community attention. MS didn't do that, so there was nothing for him to do but move on to his next game development shindig.

Pi Studios just helped with testing the editing kit that would come with the game, they didn't actually make it (Bungie would be the original makers).