PDA

View Full Version : BLACK MESA: NOT DEAD!

n00b1n8R
August 31st, 2010, 06:36 AM
The game's more or less complete - albeit with lots of tweaking to go - right up to the Xen levels. We could have jumped into any part of the game, but really, you have to start at the classic starter level, Inbound.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Feature/230583,is-black-mesa-the-ultimate-half-life-2-mod.aspx

Biggest mod related hoax of 2010.

Siliconmaster
August 31st, 2010, 08:11 AM
Aaaand how do we know this is a hoax? They've sent builds to other gaming magazines before to let them play it through. Not surprised.

n00b1n8R
August 31st, 2010, 08:51 AM
FUCK YES 4CHAN, YOU ARE THE MOST UP-TO-DATE NEWS SOURCE EVER!
http://imgur.com/a/HYO2b/black_mesa_source_screns_part_13
http://imgur.com/a/NMd1o/black_mesa_source_screns_part_23
http://imgur.com/a/F09qT/black_mesa_source_screns_part_33

(leaked screenshots taken down from the original article)

Amit
August 31st, 2010, 11:30 AM
I don't understand why they needed to request pictures to be removed from that Atomic article. At least it's some proof for fans that this thing is still being worked on and that we should still support it.

BobtheGreatII
August 31st, 2010, 03:41 PM
Maybe it's going to be bundled with Episode 3 (or Half-Life 3) and Portal 2!

AAA
September 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
It was originally going to be a free mod. It still is,... isn't it?

Siliconmaster
September 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
It's still free, last time I heard.

343guiltymc
September 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Does the game require still require CSS?

Siliconmaster
September 2nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
Any source game will do.

Timo
September 2nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
Oh man, can't wait to play this.

n00b1n8R
September 2nd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Oh man, can't wait to play this.
I'm so sorry:smithparrot:

seanthelawn
July 24th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Sooo I guess this project still isn't dead? One of the texture artists posted new screenshots on his site:

http://www.oggyart.com/

Siliconmaster
July 24th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Nah, it's not dead- they've just adopted a valve-like system of no release dates and no updates, so that way they won't disappoint anyone after they missed the 2009 release date. I want to play it now though. So they should release it faster.

seanthelawn
August 15th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Saw this on Reddit; kinda happy they decided not to implement it. And again, more reason for me to continue hoping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XnCxFZ25E

E: And sorry if these shitty updates are continuous letdowns for people

Snowball
August 15th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Saw this on Reddit; kinda happy they decided not to implement it. And again, more reason for me to continue hoping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XnCxFZ25E

E: And sorry if these shitty updates are continuous letdowns for people
I could see that getting annoying

BobtheGreatII
January 31st, 2012, 09:58 PM
TAKE THIS AUGUST 15th 2011!

http://kotaku.com/5881112/new-tease-for-black-mesa-the-greatest-half+life-remake-that-never-was

(http://kotaku.com/5881112/new-tease-for-black-mesa-the-greatest-half+life-remake-that-never-was)Hopefully this actually goes somewhere.

It was said that once the soundtrack is released, one could expect the launch of black mesa two weeks after. I can now say that a new website will be launched with the soundtrack in preparation for the mod. Fuck if we care about the current website. Just take a good look at it because it will be gone soon enough.

Edit: Be scared, this might actually bring the end of the world CMT SPV3 is making a release and maybe Black Mesa too. This is madness.

n00b1n8R
February 1st, 2012, 03:08 AM
yeah nah

=sw=warlord
February 1st, 2012, 05:34 AM
It is 2012 after all.
Kim jong il is dead, CMT is releasing a SP mod and Black mesa are releasing something.

Pooky
February 1st, 2012, 09:57 PM
Optimism will remain at zero until I see a download link. Same goes for CMT.

Timo
February 1st, 2012, 10:05 PM
I'll believe it when I see it

Warsaw
February 2nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
I bet Valve is going to monetize it...

Pooky
February 2nd, 2012, 07:27 PM
I bet Valve is going to monetize it...

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

n00b1n8R
February 2nd, 2012, 09:07 PM
I would, since they put no work into it!

Pooky
February 3rd, 2012, 01:42 AM
I would, since they put no work into it!

Please explain.

Bodzilla
February 3rd, 2012, 02:36 AM
he means Valve put no work into a project thats taken years to create for these guys, and to have them take a cut from a mod is bullshit.

they should of supported them in some small way if they wanted to make money from it

Pooky
February 3rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
he means Valve put no work into a project thats taken years to create for these guys, and to have them take a cut from a mod is bullshit.

they should of supported them in some small way if they wanted to make money from it

I thought he was talking about the mod authors. I don't see where it's bullshit for them to take a cut from it if they're going to be the ones publishing it. That's how publishing works. Also if Valve decides to publish it through steam then the mod authors get paid for their hard work, where previously they would have gotten nothing.

n00b1n8R
February 3rd, 2012, 08:06 PM
So you're saying that the BMS team should monetize their mod and valve should get a cut for publishing it over steam? Obviously they should get a cut since it's a mod made on their engine but stil;

imagine trying to fairly distribute earnings to everyone who ever contributed to the mod over the last 3K years.
Also consider the fact that they've always advertised BMS as a "free" mod.

Pooky
February 3rd, 2012, 11:33 PM
imagine trying to fairly distribute earnings to everyone who ever contributed to the mod over the last 3K years.

There's no such thing. If you're part of a company and you contribute to something, but then you quit before it gets finished, you don't get paid for it.

Also consider the fact that they've always advertised BMS as a "free" mod.

The same thing happened with Final Doom, I don't see what the big issue is.

n00b1n8R
February 4th, 2012, 12:04 AM
There's no such thing. If you're part of a company and you contribute to something, but then you quit before it gets finished, you don't get paid for it.
You get payed while you work for the company. If suddenly they were to monetize their mod (and obviously have to pay valve royalties) then everyone who had ever worked on it suddenly contributed to a monetized product.

Warsaw
February 4th, 2012, 12:29 AM
I thought he was talking about the mod authors. I don't see where it's bullshit for them to take a cut from it if they're going to be the ones publishing it. That's how publishing works. Also if Valve decides to publish it through steam then the mod authors get paid for their hard work, where previously they would have gotten nothing.

Publishing usually works like this:

Studio wants to make a game. Studio needs money. Studio pitches idea to publisher. Publisher gives green light and provides financing. Financing pays salaries and covers production costs. Game is finished and goes to market, using the publisher's publishing/marketing expertise. Game sells. If the game sells well and turns profit (not break even), employees get a bonus.

That's how publishing works. At least, that's how one EA producer and one BioWare producer told me it works. .

If Valve monetized it without compensation to the modders, they essentially just got free labour. That would be bullshit. Of course, Valve can't do that. The modders are the ones with the assets here, and Valve would have to get its hands on them some way. The only way to do that currently is through the modders, and that would cost money.

Pooky
February 4th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Well, I should also point out that Valve put effort into this insofar as they made the entire original game which it's based on. As well as the Source engine. I'm not saying it'll be an easy thing to figure out who gets paid for all this (if it does infact happen), but I get the feeling that people are only really complaining about it because they don't want to spend money.

n00b1n8R
February 4th, 2012, 08:30 AM
And because the game has always been advertised as free.

If that weren't the case then I wouldn't mind so much (though I likely wouldn't buy it!) but it'd be a logistical nightmare from their end, co-ordinating with past team members and liscencing/publishing fees from Valve.

=sw=warlord
February 4th, 2012, 08:32 AM
DOTA2 was originally going to be a free mod.
Portal was originally based on a mod.

p0lar_bear
February 4th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Well, I should also point out that Valve put effort into this insofar as they made the entire original game which it's based on. As well as the Source engine. I'm not saying it'll be an easy thing to figure out who gets paid for all this (if it does infact happen), but I get the feeling that people are only really complaining about it because they don't want to spend money.

Pretty much this.

These folks are working with an engine that is not legally theirs, and IP that is not legally theirs. If Valve wanted to monetize it, they have every right to. Be glad they didn't pull the plug on it.

Warsaw
February 4th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Doesn't matter. Valve doesn't have access to the BM:S assets. If Valve wanted to monetize it and the mod team didn't want them to, they could simply destroy all of their assets. They are under no legal obligation to just hand them over.

Higuy
February 4th, 2012, 01:17 PM
They can't just hand the assets over or anything like that, but Valve has every right to the IP of the Half-life franchise, which is what BMS is based on. Keeping this in mind, Valve should have some input on it, considering that the story, engine, gameplay, and things alike are indeed their own (except all the new assets that the BMS team has created). The BMS team willingly recreated over the years all of this, which was, and still is, Valves own property, in a sense anyway. If BMS didn't hand the assets over or cooperate with Valve in a fashionably manner (however we all know they will which is why this debate is useless), Valve could essentially just send a C&D their way (but they never will).

As for the money ordeal, it would be nearly impossible to simply hand out the money out fairly (we had this issue on Lumoria when we just wanted a simple donate button on our website), considering the large amount of people over the past years have worked on it... If anything, it should be kept free, as it was advertised. However, I do not see the harm in a donate button, as we all know there a TON of people who would donate in appreciation of the BMS team's hard work.

Warsaw
February 4th, 2012, 04:43 PM
That's my point. If BM:S didn't want to be monetized, then there's no way Valve can force it to be. The mod would just cease to exist and never get released. I'm not debating who owns the IP, I'm just saying that if the mod team didn't want to co-operate with a hypothetical monetization, they wouldn't have to. They would just have to shut down the project.

n00b1n8R
February 4th, 2012, 06:00 PM
DOTA2 was originally going to be a free mod.
Portal was originally based on a mod.
When was DOTA2 ever advertised as being free? (honestly I think it still will be, ala TF2)
Portal was based on an indie game created by a team of students as their final piece for their game design degree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narbacular_Drop).

Any other factually wrong statements you'd like to make?

Pooky
February 5th, 2012, 08:56 AM
http://i.imgur.com/O9yf8.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Doom

It isn't unprecedented, just saying.

n00b1n8R
May 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM
http://www.blappeture.com/

Black Mesa easter egg inside the new portal DLC files.
Ofcourse if it means Valve is now running the mod, that will probably just make it take even longer to finish :lol:

Ki11a_FTW
May 8th, 2012, 09:45 PM
:ohdear: well, now it wont be for free, AND we'll be wating until 2024.
I just hope theyre focusing on hl3 before we see this imo. (if they actually do run the mod now)

Siliconmaster
May 8th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I highly doubt Valve bought Black Mesa, it's probably something of Valve's own doing, unrelated to the mod.

BobtheGreatII
May 9th, 2012, 12:35 AM
I highly doubt Valve bought Black Mesa, it's probably something of Valve's own doing, unrelated to the mod.

Eh... I wouldn't be so sure. Valve tends to love it's most dedicated community people. Heck, people who do incredible stuff tend to get hired by them. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Black Mesa got bought out by Valve for the release of HL3.

Either way. I wish there was a ton of Cave Johnson stuff. It makes me laugh.

Edit: Holy crap, lol. So apparently Cave Johnson had a ton of new lines for the new DLC. Awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Rvd2vcq0Jv4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuDfvbxT57c

Edit Edit: Skip to 8:47 in the second video. That's where this line is from. It's not an easter egg. It's simply a parallel universe Cave Johsnon. Rumor squashed.

Zeph
May 9th, 2012, 01:18 AM

well, considering all the alternate universes and dimensions going around the test chambers I'm just gonna take it as a joke. Remember the chart on how much funding black mesa got versus aperture?

n00b1n8R
May 10th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Yeah so I lost a lot if interest in the mod after reading this.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/10/what-happened-to-black-mesa-source-part-two/

(we're not making HL:HD, we're making HL:20XX edition)

Siliconmaster
May 10th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Uh, that's always been the idea. The areas are still comparable, they're just done completely from scratch. Reading that article honestly made me even more interested in it, not less.

If you want Half Life HD, go download the HD texture pack for the original.

Pooky
May 10th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I think he's talking about the part where they said they were completely redesigning the weapons and gameplay balance.

n00b1n8R
May 10th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Uh, that's always been the idea. The areas are still comparable, they're just done completely from scratch. Reading that article honestly made me even more interested in it, not less.

If you want Half Life HD, go download the HD texture pack for the original.
That was HD in 2003 and IIRC it doesn't update sound files (which sound horrible)

p0lar_bear
May 11th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Yeah so I lost a lot if interest in the mod after reading this.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/10/what-happened-to-black-mesa-source-part-two/

(we're not making HL:HD, we're making HL:20XX edition)

I think he's talking about the part where they said they were completely redesigning the weapons and gameplay balance.

Let's not get too hasty in judging things. This isn't a multiplayer game with a bunch of people complaining about how OP a certain weapon is or whether or not something is exploitable. I don't think they're gutting concepts and systems and replacing them with things that'll turn it into Call Of Half-Life: Modern Freeman 4. The way they sound and how they've presented things so far suggest that it's mild changes to make sure it all works together.

While I'm typing about this, I'm thinking of Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. To anyone unfamiliar, it was a Gamecube reboot of the first Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation. In a nutshell, it was basically MGS updated to run on MGS2's engine, which added features like hold-ups, hanging from railings, first-person aiming, body dragging, etc etc. Updated graphics, voice acting, and cinematics are a given. Sounds awesome on paper, but the developers didn't really do anything to the level design or boss fights to compensate. As a result, many of the boss fights became brokenly easy, some traps weren't as threatening, and a lot of the new gameplay features were often forgotten after that initial "hey look what I can do" phase where you screw with the guards at the dock and heliport, since the level design of the original never really called for the ability to hop over a railing on a catwalk or hide dead/sleeping/KO'd guards in lockers.

Point is, if you update one thing, something else is going to give.

Pooky
May 11th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I wasn't complaining, just pointing that out. Personally, I'd be glad to finally see some changes to the same identical weapon set we've had through every Half-Life game so far.

n00b1n8R
August 7th, 2012, 07:06 AM
g-wfdgpCRXc

Been too long since I played this, how faithful is that level design?

BobtheGreatII
August 7th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Well I remember the tram part. Not sure if I recall a giant missile though.

chrisk123999
August 7th, 2012, 12:45 PM
That was in the original game.

Ki11a_FTW
August 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM
That looked pretty incredible.

Higuy
August 7th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Well I remember the tram part. Not sure if I recall a giant missile though.

The missile launch's a satellite into space for some reason I cant remember.

Bobblehob
August 7th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Damn, the video is down :( Anyone happen to have downloaded it or found a second version?

nuttyyayap
August 8th, 2012, 02:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tTO6kCcSZQ
Here ya go :p

Siliconmaster
August 8th, 2012, 03:23 AM
http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=9883

There have been too many posts for me to reply to individually, but I'll go over the basic points I've seen crop up a bunch of times. I'll try to address everything as transparently as I can, because there's a lot of misinformation floating around.

Is this a leak? Was it released intentionally?

We had always been planning to release gameplay video(s) as part of the social media campaign, and we'd always hinted as such. Unfortunately, we ran into some difficulties while we were wrapping up the build (including several severe FPS drops and crashes) that delayed our plans for the media campaign and any gameplay videos. Once we got those sorted, we started to try to figure out what we could show off; the video that was posted to YouTube was a rough first cut outlining some possible action.

Someone showed someone else something they shouldn't have, and that someone else decided to share that something with the internet. And here we are today. Bottom line is that sooner or later, you were going to see what you saw; that's why we haven't tried to cover everything up or get it taken down. There's no conspiracy, we don't have any ulterior motives.

How old is the build of the game?

The build featured in the video is between four and five weeks old. The art assets, level design, lighting, sound effects and music, voice acting, weapons, gameplay mechanics, etc. are all basically final. You won't be seeing very many changes between what's in the video and what's in the final product.

Is the music actually in-game?

The music in the second half in the video is the actual song from the level, it hasn't been overlaid afterwards. It syncs up well with the action because it's been designed to; the song was specifically written for this area. The audio quality of the YouTube video doesn't do it justice though, and it sounds like the game's music volume was turned up too high while the video was recorded.

Why are there iron-sights in the game?

You can look down the sights of the .357 for a slight zoom and increase in accuracy at the expense of your rate of fire. It was a mechanic that was present in Half-Life: Deathmatch, but we've brought it into the singleplayer to help solidify the weapon's role. We've added an option to the main menu to completely disable that functionality, as a result of the feedback we've received from the video.

The .357 and crossbow are the only weapons that you can use the sights on, and they're for decent gameplay reasons. We aren't casualising or consolifying the mod; you don't have regenerating health, there aren't chest-high walls, you won't get strawberry jam on the screen when you're hurt, etc.

Why does everything look like crap?

The compression YouTube applies has blurred and darkened everything, even at 720p settings. You lose a lot of stuff like the scanlines on the HUD, the stars twinkling in the sky, the moonlight illuminating the launch pad and the hologram illuminating the control bunker, any real texture detail, outdoor characters, etc. I've got the original video at 1080p, and everything looks fine.

Why is the voice acting so bad?

Everything is intentional; the soldiers are meant to sound like over-the-top movie bad guys. We're not interested in trying to get you to empathise with the enemies.

Will this affect the plans for further media or the release?

It has, we're actually going to be moving some things forward. Time has never been on our side.

Awesome.

nuttyyayap
August 8th, 2012, 03:27 AM
The only game I'm still looking forward too! :downs:

BobtheGreatII
August 8th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I like how they handled the situation.

rossmum
August 8th, 2012, 08:20 AM
you won't get strawberry jam on the screen when hurt but you'll sure as hell get chromatic aberration. lmao.

Pooky
August 8th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Just gonna throw out there that the .357 never had iron sights in HL:DM, it just had a simple screen zoom.

Warsaw
August 9th, 2012, 07:24 PM
HL HD pack for the win.

Donut
August 9th, 2012, 07:52 PM
see how they add an option in the menu to disable certain "controversial" features like iron sights on the 357? why the fuck cant other devs do that? thats the intelligent choice when it comes to stuff like this.

also, the bad guys voice acting reminds me of far cry 1's enemies. they were so over the top, it was brilliant.

rossmum
August 10th, 2012, 03:53 PM
i wonder if that option disables the chromatic aberration

Bodzilla
August 10th, 2012, 08:22 PM
in before the purple box
Half life 3 and Black mesa Bundle 35.99

nuttyyayap
September 2nd, 2012, 12:49 AM
Community Update
We're freaking out over here! It is so exciting to share this news with you!

You can now Download the Black Mesa Soundtrack, courtesy of our very own Joel Nielsen, at the very generous price of whatever you want! Enjoy and share!
In the near future you'll see our Website, Wiki and Forums all taken down temporarily for renovations.
On September 14th you will see the first release of Black Mesa! This will include our re-envisioning of Half-Life all the way up to Lambda Core. We believe this is a great way to provide a complete-feeling 8-10 hour experience with a solid ending, make our fans happy and help us make the best overall game possible.

We are still working hard on Xen and BMDM, but instead of making you wait we are giving you Black Mesa as soon as it's ready! We're doing our best to help bring the immense vision of this project into reality, and we are very excited for what the future brings!

High-Fives Yo,
Carlos Montero - Project Leader

:woop::neckbeard::downs::iamafag::golfclap::realsm ug::-3:haw::smugsome:

Siliconmaster
September 2nd, 2012, 12:55 AM
DUDE. DUDE.

JackalStomper
September 2nd, 2012, 12:56 AM
holy shit

BobtheGreatII
September 2nd, 2012, 01:38 AM
Awesome.

n00b1n8R
September 2nd, 2012, 04:12 AM
ATTN POOKY: time to cut your nuts off

Pooky
September 2nd, 2012, 11:22 AM
i wonder if that option disables the chromatic aberration

I'm sure it'll be possible to disable it through console.

ATTN POOKY: time to cut your nuts off

No Xen.

Lateksi
September 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
September's fools.

Ki11a_FTW
September 2nd, 2012, 01:19 PM
Well its about fucking time. I will be playing through the game atleast 10 times.

Higuy
September 2nd, 2012, 02:01 PM
http://www.vaportalk.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

Emmzee
September 2nd, 2012, 02:47 PM
it took them 8 fucking years to make 2/3 of a game where the plot, gameplay, and level design was already made for them from the start

Siliconmaster
September 2nd, 2012, 02:59 PM
Uh, they made ten hours​ of gameplay from total scratch, and overhauled a lot of that level design along the way. The amount of work they've put into that is stunning, and I do not at all blame them for taking so long.

Emmzee
September 2nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
Uh, they made ten hours​ of gameplay from total scratch, and overhauled a lot of that level design along the way. The amount of work they've put into that is stunning, and I do not at all blame them for taking so long.
hahaha

n00b1n8R
September 2nd, 2012, 06:58 PM
You're right emmzee, after having made so much content for Halo you obviously know a lot about what it takes for a small team of modders to make content :downs:

p0lar_bear
September 3rd, 2012, 12:32 AM
it took them 8 fucking years to make 2/3 of a game where the plot, gameplay, and level design was already made for them from the start

what I want my money back

...oh wait...

Zeph
September 3rd, 2012, 01:57 AM

Still waiting on Jahrain to finish Zelda mod. He even had the plot, gameplay, and level design already made for him from the start.

Emmzee
September 3rd, 2012, 08:32 AM
man that mod would have ruled but the gameplay wasnt already made for him beforehand

what I want my money back

...oh wait...
"people arent allowed to complain about free things"

You're right emmzee, after having made so much content for Halo you obviously know a lot about what it takes for a small team of modders to make content http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/smilies/extra/downs.gif
nice i love this argument because its literally the stupidest argument ever

EX12693
September 3rd, 2012, 09:09 AM
nice i love this argument because its literally the stupidest argument ever

nice i love how well that response addresses his point because actually it doesnt

Emmzee
September 3rd, 2012, 09:25 AM
hes literally saying "you arent a mod creator/designer so you arent allowed to criticize mods" which is beyond retarded

its the same argument as "you arent a musician so you cant say this music sucks" or "you cant draw well so you cant criticize this art"

its 4th grade level bullshit and i cant believe someone who is allegedly an adult would make that argument

Emmzee
September 3rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
i guarantee if the black mesa designers werent so obsessed with padding their resumes instead of actually making a game they could have released this mod IN FULL by 2010 at the absolute latest

if youve paid attention to the life cycle of the mod like i have you would realize this

i win; any further arguments just mean you're mad (and owned)

Donut
September 3rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
hes literally saying "you arent a mod creator/designer so you arent allowed to criticize mods" which is beyond retarded

its the same argument as "you arent a musician so you cant say this music sucks" or "you cant draw well so you cant criticize this art"
youd be absolutely right if you were criticizing the mod itself, but youre criticizing the time its taking the modders to complete the mod. noob is saying that if you dont actually have experience as a modder, you dont really know the amount of time and work that goes into a mod of this scale.

just thought id point that out.

p0lar_bear
September 3rd, 2012, 09:54 AM
It's more along the lines of, "you aren't a mod creator/designer so bitching about the development time makes you look like an entitled brat. Plus, it's on our minds already, thanks for telling us shit everyone knows already."

Yeah, 8 years is a long time for something like that, and I agree that it seems silly when you look at it that way, especially considering that the original Half-Life only took two years to make and most of the Quake engine was rewritten to make GoldSrc. The timespan is frustrating and it just seems like maybe this is happening now that it's no longer relevant.

However, this mod isn't like some cut-rate Halo mod where you make models, change tag values, plop it in, and feed it to the giddy Mexican pirates and 12-year-old fanboys and hope that they don't care about all the glaring problems caused by trying to make the game do things it wasn't meant to do in the first place. They're doing something pretty risky, since the Half-Life fandom sees the original game as some sort of holy grail or sacred cow - they can't please everyone but they're going to at least mitigate potential bitching about stupid shit.

Warsaw
September 3rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
And with any luck, it'll feel more like a professional, shipped product than some slap-happy mod where absolutely nothing jives together.

Rook
September 9th, 2012, 08:34 PM
i win; any further arguments just mean you're mad (and owned)
nice white entitlement

rossmum
September 14th, 2012, 09:49 AM
FUCKING

LOL

Emmzee
September 14th, 2012, 09:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/S45RN.jpg

Siliconmaster
September 14th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Hahahaha I'm really not surprised, every single person who was looking at that countdown timer redirected to the same page at the same time.

chrisk123999
September 14th, 2012, 11:14 AM
The torrent didn't even work for me, I just ended up waiting for the download page to work right. The tracker on the torrent wasn't working.

BobtheGreatII
September 14th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I'm downloading the torrent right now. 6.5% done. ha ha. 2 hours to go.

CabooseJr
September 15th, 2012, 01:08 PM
This mod is bananas.

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
September 15th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I like bananas.

CabooseJr
September 15th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Then you'll probably like the mod.

Pooky
September 15th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Game is awesome but the optimization is really bad. I'm getting bad fps drops in places when my system should have no trouble whatsoever running this game. From the forum posts I read it seems to be an issue with the game not properly supporting multi core processors. I think I'll just wait a few days and see if anything happens before I keep playing.

nuttyyayap
September 15th, 2012, 09:48 PM
^^
I only got drops in places with aLOT of light or particles though. My major problem is due to the noise shader near radiation NEVER turning off.
Other than that, it's fucking amazing! I'm on my third run right now. :golfclap:

Ki11a_FTW
September 15th, 2012, 10:23 PM
No FPS problems here :o. The game has been quite an experience for me so far.

Zeph
September 16th, 2012, 01:55 AM
it downloadable on steam yet?

Pooky
September 16th, 2012, 08:37 AM
No FPS problems here :o. The game has been quite an experience for me so far.

What system specs?

Higuy
September 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Dear god, this mod is fucking awesome. Been playing it for a good 5 hours now. Really feels like Half Life 1 all over again, except better.

arbiter901
September 16th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Yeah I'm getting those random frame drops aswell. I also noticed the Multicore Rendering option dropbox is empty.

itszutak
September 16th, 2012, 02:01 PM
it downloadable on steam yet?Probably not until they finish Xen. So...Another year? Maybe two?

chrisk123999
September 16th, 2012, 02:13 PM
It's already been accepted through Steam greenlight. It'll be on there soon.

Higuy
September 16th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I'm starting to get some serious FPS issues at Lambada Core, not sure why. I was completley fine up until now. It will be very smooth and then drop suddenly for a second or 2 (literally goes down to like 5 FPS from 60), and then straight back up.

JackalStomper
September 16th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I only had an issue with frame rates once, when everything dropped to 1 fps and stayed there until I restarted my computer.
Other than that (and the 12 dozen crashes I encountered along the way) it's been smooth sailing.

Pooky
September 16th, 2012, 06:26 PM
So far the only time i've taken a serious framerate hit was on those goddamn turrets, but it was a big one. Down to 30 fps from 60. I figured maybe that was because of vsync, but turning it off only increased the FPS to ~40 in those parts.

EX12693
September 16th, 2012, 06:42 PM
No framerate drops on a laptop on full settings bitchezzzzzz

Pooky
September 16th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Wow, you must be cool. I wish I was cool like you.

EX12693
September 16th, 2012, 11:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Vgnth.png

Rainbow Dash
September 17th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Not having any issues either, but for those that are try playing around with the mat_queue_mode setting (pretty sure that option is available in that version of source), the console should explain what each setting does. That's a wild guess, but who knows, might work.

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
September 17th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Not having any issues either, but for those that are try playing around with the mat_queue_mode setting (pretty sure that option is available in that version of source), the console should explain what each setting does. That's a wild guess, but who knows, might work.The setting that works best, mat_queue_mode 2, crashes the game.

arbiter901
September 17th, 2012, 01:23 PM
These commands seemed to have improved my performance somewhat.

r_threaded_particles "1"
r_threaded_renderables "1"
snd_mix_async "1"
This game just doesn't seem to like mat_queue_mode

Siliconmaster
September 17th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Only lagging I had was at the very end, at the portal into Xen. Really guys, this is a 12 year old game. Probably too many particles going on.

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
September 17th, 2012, 03:00 PM
This game just doesn't seem to like mat_queue_modeI guess it's because of an old Source version. I remember reading about how the mat_queue_mode command was experimental back in Source 2007 and caused crashes until Source was updated to a later version.

p0lar_bear
September 17th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I have a PC between the minimum and recommended spec, and anywhere there's dust, dirt, or fog particles the framerate chokes.

Pooky
September 17th, 2012, 06:10 PM
My PC is far in excess of the system requirements and I still got slowdowns on those sentry turrets.

e: not my picture, but illustrates the issue I was having

http://i.imgur.com/b03Mf.jpg

The problem seems to be badly optimized effects

Siliconmaster
September 17th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Heh, well, that's why they have a bug and problem part of their forums, at least they are aware there might be issues and are asking people to report them so it can be improved.

Edit: Though I must ask, why are you standing in front of a bunch of angry turrets? Lol. I was under the impression the best way to beat turrets in that game was to avoid letting them see you in the first place.

Pooky
September 17th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Again, that's not my picture. When I was playing I got slowdowns anytime a sentry opened up, regardless of whether I was looking at them. I imagine the person in question put on godmode and stood in front of the turrets to get the best picture.

Siliconmaster
September 17th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Ah, right, sorry. Well, hopefully they can get stuff ironed out. If that portal is lagging heavily on my system at the end of the game, it must be destroying people on lower end systems.

Pooky
September 17th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Unforeseen Consequences:

Th3STX3gKX0

nuttyyayap
September 17th, 2012, 10:15 PM
What.

EX12693
September 17th, 2012, 11:54 PM
So who else hass sent Willy Wonka's hat to Xen?

jcap
September 18th, 2012, 12:21 AM
This game is unbelievable. I can't even begin to express my amazement and respect for the small team that made all of this possible. The quality of the game - the bitmaps, the level design, the sounds, the voice acting, the music, the animating, the scripting - is top notch. I was blown away. I refuse to even call it a "mod" since Black Mesa is way above and beyond that.

I was actually shocked that I experienced no major experience-impacting bugs at all. There was the occasional physics bug (pretty much expected in any game today) and I noticed a missing triangle in the BSP at the dam...but otherwise, I thought it was pretty damn near perfect. Screwy physics killed me a few times due to random flying scenery and at the part with the reactor's rotating platforms, but the developers are not to blame for that...it's just Source. As for performance, the portal part is the only thing that hit my framerate hard.

I just can't believe Valve didn't hire these guys and re-release the game with CS:GO.

Ki11a_FTW
September 18th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Yeah, i just played through the game. and pooky, I have an intel quad 2.6, 8 gigs of ram and a nvidia GTX 260 core 216 overclocked video card. Not the best, but still pretty good.

I'm totally surprised that Valve didn't hire these guys. This game would have been even more :O with even the left 4 dead 2 source build or higher.

I got one crash where a message came up that said something like "too many vertices, tell the programmer to upgrade the vertice buffer count" or some thing along the lines of that. Everything was top notch, pretty much all custom props (excluding a few), I was blown away.

The only real problem I had with the game was at the warehouse with all the satchels, there is a lone head crab in there that just blew the whole place up every time I loaded my save.

Also, where is the vorts epic fighting stance from hl2 :[ they just walk with their arms down.

Pooky
September 18th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Yeah, i just played through the game. and pooky, I have an intel quad 2.6, 8 gigs of ram and a nvidia GTX 260 core 216 overclocked video card. Not the best, but still pretty good.

Core i7 2600 3.4 Ghz, 16 gigs RAM and Nvidia GTX 570 here. Seems more like a problem with the game to me.

Anyway, as far as the presentation of this game I think it's almost perfect. The gameplay needs a lot of work though. All the enemies seem too accurate and too fast to react to your presence, to the point where the marines feel like going up against CS players. There's virtually no way to get out of any combat situation with them without taking a hit, which makes BMS a game of managing health more than anything else. Some of the weapons feel too weak and innacurate too. I've hardly touched the MP5 because the glock has the same damage with way more accuracy. Also the weapon sounds are really, truly godawful. Guns go BOOM, not pew pew.

JackalStomper
September 18th, 2012, 07:12 AM
The only complaint I have from a sound standpoint is that the marine voices are completely over the top. Not complaining much though, it helps lighten the mood for me.
But seriously something like 'radio check' really shouldn't sound like a death threat.

jcap
September 18th, 2012, 12:06 PM
The only complaint I have from a sound standpoint is that the marine voices are completely over the top. Not complaining much though, it helps lighten the mood for me.
But seriously something like 'radio check' really shouldn't sound like a death threat.
Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that. Those voices sounds SO '90s and unpolished.

Siliconmaster
September 18th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hah I didn't mind the over the top 90s voices, kept it entertaining for me.

chrisk123999
September 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM
That was on purpose according to the devs.

Pooky
September 18th, 2012, 06:07 PM

I don't know how people can stand the sound of the MP5. It sounds more like white noise than a gun to me.

Higuy
September 19th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I never had a problem with the gun sounds, they sounded fine to me. The only issues I had was with some of the marines + aliens accurary like Pooky said, they had awesome level design that was true to Half Life 1 ofc but alot of the enemys became difficult due to accurarcy.

Emmzee
September 19th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Until I played this, I had forgotten how far we've come since 1998. The gameplay of HL1 just does not stand up.

annihilation
September 19th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I don't know how people can stand the sound of the MP5. It sounds more like white noise than a gun to me.

Glad I'm not the only one who hates it.

It sounds like glass breaking over gunshots.

I also just finished the cliff area with 4 health and nothing but a glock, felt like James Bond

Pooky
September 19th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Maybe you need a decent sound system to really appreciate how bad the gun sounds are. When I fire the SPAS-12, my sub doesn't even twitch. There's something wrong with that.

e: for any one else who hates the weapon sounds, I found a mod here you may be interested in

http://gamebanana.com/blackmesa/sounds/17868

I was only interested in the firing sounds, so I just separated that part and used it. A huge improvement over the default sounds. I was thinking of doing something like that myself using CS:GO sounds or whatever.

rossmum
September 21st, 2012, 02:08 AM
Art and level design blew my mind; this shit rules.

I have had a deep-seated existential fear of deep, murky water and drainage grates in pools since I was a little kid (I saw another kid's foot get stuck in a cracked grate and he nearly drowned); coupled with my fear of monsters that lurk in such places, I was pretty much shitting myself when I fell into the water in the icthyosaur room.

I fucking Jesus'd that shit right over to a barnacle and made a DYNAMIC EXIT via its tongue, escaped the room without the fucker seeing me once. Eat shit, asshole.

p0lar_bear
September 21st, 2012, 11:48 PM
...I was pretty much shitting myself when I fell into the water in the icthyosaur room.

pooky: OH BOY MURKY WATER
pooky: CAUSE THAT NEVER CREEPED ME THE FUCK OUT IN THE ORIGINAL GAME
Registered Democrit: hey
Registered Democrit: hey
Registered Democrit: eyes forward
Registered Democrit: ICTHYOSAUR
pooky: asdvlkjabsldkvjasdlkjha;dlsvja;asdv

I haven't gotten there yet (just did blast pit), but I get a feeling I'm going to feel the same way.

Siliconmaster
September 21st, 2012, 11:56 PM
Oh man the icthyosaurs are awesomely terrifying. Not terribly hard to kill (if you see them before they see you), but still scary as hell.

Lateksi
September 23rd, 2012, 08:28 AM
Damn this game is awesome! The gameplay is so fun and art is stunning. Huge kudos to the mod team. I never completed HL and now it's about time to do it... with style. B)

Warsaw
September 23rd, 2012, 08:07 PM
The mod doesn't have the whole game yet.

:ohdear:

t3h m00kz
September 24th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I've seen people playing this on steam.

Man....

I should probably pick it up...

BobtheGreatII
September 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM
So. Got done with it yesterday. Held up really well all the way through. Had a lot of fun. Looking forward to play the rest in about 10 years.

itszutak
September 27th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I've seen people playing this on steam.

Man....

I should probably pick it up...do it it's pretty good for a free game, I've paid for worse

MXC
November 4th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Better than anything we've made in the past few years.

EX12693
December 9th, 2012, 11:54 PM
What the fuck....

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=13735
(http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=13735)http://thepizzacodemystery.blogspot.co.uk/
http://thepizzaisalie.wikia.com/wiki/The_Pizza_Code_Mystery_ARG_Wiki (http://thepizzacodemystery.blogspot.co.uk/)

BobtheGreatII
December 10th, 2012, 12:03 AM
So this is why Black Mesa was delayed so much?

EX12693
December 10th, 2012, 01:17 AM
The reward better be worth it...

Zeph
December 10th, 2012, 01:43 AM
this thing uploaded to steam yet?

arbiter901
December 10th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Nope.

The new SDK update broke it last time I checked.