PDA

View Full Version : [APP] Halo Script Extractor

Skarma
September 3rd, 2010, 02:18 AM
Thread closed until further notice. -Skarma

Halo Script Extractor
By: Skarma

Description:
Extracts and formats script data from any Halo map file. From there, you can save the extracted scripts to a .hsc file that can be compiled.

Notes:
You may need to run as an administrator for this to work correctly.
If it says you are missing file(s), you need to download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 runtime components here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84&displaylang=en).

Credits:
Choking Victim
Kornman00
CrAsHOvErRide
theForger

Please report any bugs or formatting errors. I'm sure there are some minor things to fix, since my scripting knowledge is only a weeks worth. Project is open sourced and included with the download (http://www.mediafire.com/?cdkkt8o916wgwo7).

L0d3x
September 3rd, 2010, 04:09 AM
Cool, this should be very helpful to beginning scripters I think =)

ShadowSpartan
September 3rd, 2010, 08:03 AM
Way to go, you just ruined a way people use to protect their maps (as mentioned here (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?22194-Ripping-scripts&p=553684&viewfull=1#post553684)), as well as allowing people to use even more of a mapmaker's hard work without their permission. Why don't you go release another aimbot while you're at it?

In my opinion this is just you guys boosting your egos. If a person needs help with scripting they should either post on the forum or message the map maker directly. The only scripts the community needs are the campaign scripts, and those were released years ago.

Kornman00
September 3rd, 2010, 08:49 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

beginning begin statements are about to become a bannable offense!

Vicky
September 3rd, 2010, 08:58 AM
Don't you mean beginning begin statements with begin to begin with?

Choking Victim
September 3rd, 2010, 09:14 AM
Enjoy this guys, I had fun helping. Good job Skarma.

CrAsHOvErRide
September 3rd, 2010, 09:43 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

When I first saw those extracted scripts and saw 'begin' everywhere I thought of you :allears:

Had fun helping as wheel. Can you just change my name? Thanks :iamafag:

staticchanger
September 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
Some people use scripts in order to lock down a beta map, by either requiring a "password" or using clever scripting so that it can only be run on a server that has the correct setup. I know Inferno has done this for Yoyorast Island, and so has the new CMT.

So some kid rips a script that lets them lock down there own crappy map, no big deal. If your worried about people getting around it to play the maps on their own, its been figured out without the script extractor pretty easily. CE is dying of old age, we've got to have new content. If this helps someone who is scripting deficient complete a great map then I'm all for it. I don't see it ruining anything for anyone. Right now what the community needs is great tools, and great maps. Build it and they will come. Release your tools people, complete your unfinished maps!!!

Dwood
September 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Neat, even though i did have a feature to add that would have made shadows complaints invalid.

Limited
September 3rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

My bad I might have started that craze :O.

Hmm, this is the 3rd script extractor I know of thats in development lol. Hot topic :O

Skarma
September 3rd, 2010, 11:29 AM
Are the begin statements not necessary then?
Also I noticed I forgot to put quotations around strings.

ShadowSpartan
September 3rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
If your worried about people getting around it to play the maps on their own, its been figured out without the script extractor pretty easily.
I'm pretty sure certain implementations had not, but they have now for sure because of this release. There is also no way for people to protect their scripts, at least when the tag extractor was released you could protect your tags if you wanted too.

CE is dying of old age, we've got to have new content.
People have been saying that CE is dying for years now, yet it still continues to have a community focused around it. I'm getting rather tired of hearing that.

Right now what the community needs is great tools, and great maps. Build it and they will come. Release your tools people, complete your unfinished maps!!!
The community has gotten great tools over the years, but I don't see this doing as much good as you people think it will. Of course no one will listen and automatically disregard what I am saying because that is the typical response of this community.

Neat, even though i did have a feature to add that would have made shadows complaints invalid.
Even though it's too late now, what would that "feature" happen to be?

CrAsHOvErRide
September 3rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
SSpartan wants to fuel the fire. Just slash ignore.

Yes Silent, begin statements are redundant. After compilation Sapien/Tool adds them automatically.

Skarma
September 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks pat, I guess I should of just looked at some Tool disassembly or reversed some of it for it could only have helped.

ShadowSpartan
September 3rd, 2010, 11:57 AM
SSpartan wants to fuel the fire. Just slash ignore.
Hardly, I'm trying to get the point across, because obviously you guys did not understand it the first time around, or maybe you just don't care about my valid points. I used to have some respect for you, now I have none.

Even if a person wanted to protect their scripts, because it is their hard work after all, they could not do so like they could with the tag protector. This is one of the reasons I did not release an extractor, it does a lot more harm that it does good. You guys don't care about looking at the big picture, you just want the glory of releasing something even if it will have negative results.

CrAsHOvErRide
September 3rd, 2010, 12:10 PM
You try to get this point across for the past 100 years and we have respected it. It has been 7 years and only Yoyorast and Tiamat have compiled extract-worthy scripts. Yoyorast is long gone and Tiamat is probably feeding his children right now and neither of them care anymore if someone rips their scripts.

You think Silent wants attention? I can argument the same way about you having a god complex self holding the script extractor in your hands above the community. Have you noticed something? Releasing a script extractor now barely gives any attention. Few years back there would have been a hype on all the major forums which are long gone just as the major modding community is.

If some individuals want to create maps and add scripts but don't have the possibility to ask on forums anymore because no one knows anything about scripting anymore then this is a great tool for them.

staticchanger
September 3rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Everyone just :downs:. This isn't a glory game. I understand and respect your view shadow. You probably know better than me the true implications of this release, I was just stating my two cents.

We all need to stop arguing over these things and continue to work towards building great maps. The app has been released, regardless of the feelings surrounding it. So lets use it to make maps that people will play. Just be considerate of others work and give credit if you use their stuff.

L0d3x
September 3rd, 2010, 12:15 PM
ShadowSpartan, I don't understand why you're so against this. Who cares is people want to protect their maps or not, who cares if they can no longer "protect" their scripts.
You have an odd obsession with this kind of stuff, yet this stuff has no direct influence to your real life.
Anyone with a functional brain and an understanding of how scripts work could theoretically achieve anything they want anyways.

This also reminds me of one of the fundementals of object-oriented coding, why re-invent the wheel if someone has already done it? Especially in the world of Halo CE scripting, it's not like your coding something on which you can take a pattent.

ShadowSpartan
September 3rd, 2010, 12:31 PM
It has been 7 years and only Yoyorast and Tiamat have compiled extract-worthy scripts. Yoyorast is long gone and Tiamat is probably feeding his children right now and neither of them care anymore if someone rips their scripts.
If you believe those are the only extract-worthy scripts, then why not release just those then? Oh yeah, it's because you want the glory of releasing the application.

You think Silent wants attention?
I know he doesn't care about the game, as evidenced by him releasing aimbots. As for you, I believe you do want the attention, showing off applications like that "advanced" aimbot you created.

I can argument the same way about you having a god complex self holding the script extractor in your hands above the community.
I did not rub it in people's faces that I had an extractor, and that extractor benefited the community by giving them campaign scripts.

ShadowSpartan, I don't understand why you're so against this. Who cares is people want to protect their maps or not, who cares if they can no longer "protect" their scripts.
Obviously you don't care about people wanting to protect their work. Even if it is "just a game", people put countless hours into the work, and they should have an option to share their work with others or not. I have already voiced my opinion about why I am against it, if you are too dense to understand it then that is your problem.

L0d3x
September 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Jesus Christ ShadowSpartan, get off your high horse.
That is all I have to say regarding you anymore, you've became so stuck-up.
/conversation

Limited
September 3rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
I can argument the same way about you having a god complex self holding the script extractor in your hands above the community.
I'm pretty sure, less than 6 people knew about Shadows extractor, your saying he tried to impress the people who already had it? Wow bizarre mentality.

You have an odd obsession with this kind of stuff, yet this stuff has no direct influence to your real life.
Dont assume anything.

Anyone with a functional brain and an understanding of how scripts work could theoretically achieve anything they want anyways.
Wow, what a ridiculous mentality. "In theory", in theory does not cut it in development. Things never go how you plan, you always underestimate the time things take. Its easy to understand something, its a completely different ballgame to become an expert at doing it, to follow your "achieve anything they want" line.

Kornman00
September 3rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
This also reminds me of one of the fundementals of object-oriented coding, why re-invent the wheel if someone has already done it? Especially in the world of Halo CE scripting, it's not like your coding something on which you can take a pattent.
1) What you just described is not a fundamental of OOP. 2) You're contradicting yourself.

1) Part of what OOP is, is centered around objects which provide certain functionality that's also reusable. If you already have a List class, it allows you to add and remove items. Thus, you wouldn't go and make a ListTwo class since you already have something which adds and removes items. Unless it's implementation is different. Either way, how the objects provide that functionality is hidden from the user programmer.
2) OOP doesn't teach stealing other people's implementations, which is what you've basically just associated to it. Stuff is open sourced for a reason. Stuff stays closed source for a reason.

Not everything can be patented but it can still fall under intellectual property. So don't be an asshole and inconsiderate of others by saying "who cares?". It works both ways, because if the original maker cared enough, then they would have released their source to begin with. You can't speak for anyone besides your self, so don't act like you can say if the original makers of something cared or didn't.