PDA

View Full Version : British Teen Banned from United States

Dwood
September 13th, 2010, 01:54 PM
For sending an abusive letter to a white house email address aimed to Obama.

What is going on here? (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Luke-Angel-Teenager-Banned-from-America-For-Life-For-Sending-Abusive-Email-To-Barack-Obama/Article/201009215726177?lpos=UK_News_First_Home_Article_Te aser_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_15726177_Luke_Angel:_Teenager_Banned_f rom_America_For_Life_For_Sending_Abusive_Email_To_ Barack_Obama_)

Honestly I think this is completely ridiculous that a person could be banned FROM THE WHOLE U.S. for a stupid email... Given this actually happened, what on earth was in the email to get him banned?

Cagerrin
September 13th, 2010, 02:35 PM
So, he was banned for calling the President a dick? That's going far too far, and for a country that seems to like the whole "free speech" thing.

I can only surmise that his insult touched a nerve.

paladin
September 13th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Lol. I bet the Obama administration wishes they could do that to any individual that speaks out against it. Cough, the GOP.

DarkHalo003
September 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM
So, he was banned for calling the President a dick? That's going far too far, and for a country that seems to like the whole "free speech" thing.

I can only surmise that his insult touched a nerve.
Basically. The only problem is that our leadership obviously doesn't feel like portraying this right, even to non-citizens in other countries, which makes our country look bad. But sending a letter to any country's leadership with language that is not of an intellectual manor is probably going to give you the same results. Is some cases, it might get you threatened, or worse.

paladin
September 13th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I think we all agree what he did was wrong. Its the consequences that baffle me.

CN3089
September 13th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Sending a letter to the President of the United States with threatening language in it gets you in trouble?? I am truly shocked and appalled that this could happen in are country! :maddowns:

Hunter
September 13th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Wow, wtf... also, read the comment:
'To all who has posted comments in favour of this youth consider yourselves banned from America as the FBI have intercepted your comments and have notified your internet providers to identify you'

Kornman00
September 14th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Too bad the XBL ban hammer isn't this powerful :ugh:

sleepy1212
September 14th, 2010, 08:06 AM
what kind of idiot does that? Doesn't matter if you like him or not you shouldn't send threatening email to world leaders.

Now look what you have done Obama is sulking and thrown all his toys out

:lmao:

Dwood
September 14th, 2010, 03:29 PM
what kind of idiot does that? Doesn't matter if you like him or not you shouldn't send threatening email to world leaders.

There were no threats, it was an abusive letter full of name-calling etc etc.

sleepy1212
September 15th, 2010, 07:42 AM
not quite what i meant there but ok, abusive it is...despite this semantics it doesn't change that he shouldn't have sent it.

Cojafoji
September 16th, 2010, 11:45 AM
This is what you get when you publicly insult a foreign head of state.

TVTyrant
September 17th, 2010, 03:00 AM
LOL. The guys not in America, so why would we defend his right to speech. And I think many are forgetting the threatening part of the story....

Phopojijo
September 17th, 2010, 01:53 PM

A Bedfordshire Police (http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/) spokesman said: "The individual sent an email to the White House full of abusive and threatening language.

Yeah... the admin definitely overreacted unless there were specific threats against the president... which I doubt (though just ask Leo Laporte for teens saying things like, in Leo's case, a teen threatening to rape and kill his daughter... and after police involvement turns out to just be a lashing-out teen whose trolling went way over the line)

That said... right-wingers using this as an example of a "fascist administration" to encourage people to vote right-winged in November (which isn't even a presidential election) is demented.

The Republican administration back in 2004 detained three of my friends for 2 weeks under the patriot act when their flight had to pass through New York to get to Halifax. There's a lot of cases of complete overreaction (they were Muslim on a plane flight back from Egypt to visit family... apparently that was enough) of Government.

It's the fucking vultures using it to push their political agenda that aggravate me.