PDA

View Full Version : when did h2v get ads?

Rob Oplawar
May 5th, 2007, 03:06 AM
i hate ads. i understand if some revenue is needed to keep the site going, but still. i hate ads. why must there be ads? i mean, is anyone on these forums going to click on them enough to generate more than $3 anyway? well, i suppose we could help out theghost by clicking on those ads every once in a while, what is it, 2 cents per click? ugh. i think advertisement should be done away with. but that's just my two cents. lol PUN. god i'm tired, but i still don't go to bed. i should get some sleep. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

rossmum
May 5th, 2007, 03:32 AM
I agree. Ads are made of lose and fail :(

n00b1n8R
May 5th, 2007, 03:34 AM
i clicked them once.
THAT COUNTS AS A DONATION :cop:

but TBH, i don't think H2V needs a dedi. their are plenty of allright servers out their atm.

Pred1ator
May 5th, 2007, 03:36 AM
can't you just simple ignore them? its not that hard

Timo
May 5th, 2007, 03:37 AM
They're not that distracting, and the ones at the top are only seen at the index. The majority of the time spent of a forum is in threads, so they're not much of a nuisance.

Kornman00
May 5th, 2007, 07:58 AM
I agree with Timo

/hf timo12 _0/\o_

gandalf27
May 5th, 2007, 08:03 AM
i believe the website gets paid simply for having the ads up. there doing it so that theghost can pay for a dedicated server on H2V when it comes out, for all the members of this site.

Btd69
May 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Regardless of how much it gets in the way to you, to TheGhost it helps pay the bills. Now see, where else are you going to go to post your utter bullshit if H2Vista.net is closed down?

Click once a day, and you might be usefull for once.

Patrickssj6
May 5th, 2007, 09:18 AM
If you have Adblock please just block the top one and click OCCASIONALLY on the bottom one.

p0lar_bear
May 5th, 2007, 12:22 PM
People bitch about ads so much, but it's the backbone of the funding for any free site.

Be glad these are simple banner ads that aren't even intrusive. Would you rather Jcap or Ghost throw in pop-ups, pop-unders, or ads that make noise when they load? Or how about they pull a SomethingAwful and require that we all pay $10 up front to use the site and its resources?

Masterz1337
May 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Pay Ghost money if you want them removed.

Atty
May 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Yeah, donate to the site for the H2v server.

Zeph
May 5th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I motion for a 10 USD monthly membership fee to cover the fees gained from click-ads. All in favor?

Patrickssj6
May 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I motion for a 10 USD monthly membership fee to cover the fees gained from click-ads. All in favor?
Atty pays for us all.He has enough money after all.

bfett9
May 5th, 2007, 03:04 PM
those of you who want to help the site keep running for free you can simply click on the ad and then close it. every time one clicks on the ads theghost gets for $$$ for the site, and gets us a little closer to paying for the dedicated server.

mR_r0b0to
May 5th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I click the bottom one once a day, [almost] everyday :)

Patrickssj6
May 5th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I click the bottom one once a day, [almost] everyday :)
Same here.

Zeph
May 5th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I just click it when I see something that interests me. I try not to click regularly to keep the account safe.

Patrickssj6
May 5th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I just click it when I see something that interests me. I try not to click regularly to keep the account safe.
Ghostly paying everything?

TheGhost
May 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Yes, the domain (3 domains), hosting (tons of bandwidth), and vBulletin (yearly license) are all paid for. If you want to figure out how much that would total to, be my guest. Also, many people approached me about putting up a dedicated server. I figured if you wanted one, and on top of all of the other expenses of maintaining this site, I would put up another ad to help with the cost.

If you guys really don't like the ad I will honestly take it down. This site is supposed to be community-based, and if the community doesn't like something, I will do my best to remedy that. The reason sites like GBX don't need ads is because they are funded by companies, with profits. This site makes me absolutely no profit. I have it because I enjoy doing this and I know you guys enjoy being a part of this community.

Con
May 5th, 2007, 04:09 PM
ghost you can keep that 25$ you owe me for the yoyorace :p
and vbulletin has a yearly licence?

Atty
May 5th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Atty pays for us all.He has enough money after all.Uh, sure, Ok.

Ghost, put up a donate button

TheGhost
May 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Ghost, put up a donate button

There is one, and has been one, on the front page. ;)

Atty
May 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Oh, yeah, I don't venture out side of the forums, maybe I should...

Donated. :)

Con
May 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Arg, I keep thinking this hread says, "when did h2v get aids." -_-

n00b1n8R
May 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM
<3 ghost.

Sunray
May 5th, 2007, 05:09 PM
^ I second this. Thanks for all of your kindness to the community Ghost.

rossmum
May 5th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Oh, yeah, I don't venture out side of the forums, maybe I should...

Donated. :)
Neither do I (obvious reasons, post whoring and all that), but I don't have any money to donate because I don't have any money at all :saddowns:

<3 ghost.
rated agree

Emmzee
May 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I thought when I first read the topic title it said "when did h2v get aids?" and I freaked out.

Kornman00
May 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Arg, I keep thinking this hread says, "when did h2v get aids." -_-
since nuero registered. beastman aids.

n00b1n8R
May 5th, 2007, 05:40 PM
beastman aids.
http://carl.leksvin.se/images/manbearpig.jpg

Mr Buckshot
May 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Stop complaining about the ads. They're barely noticeable, and are limited to small and simple banners that no one has to click on. Now, if the root admins threw in pop-ups and other intrusive ads, I'd delete my account.

Snowy
May 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Personally, if the ad money is going to buy a H2V.net server, I gladly accept them. I really don't want to play on Microsoft's servers, with the Microsoft rotation (which is probably bad), and if they're anything like Halo's, they're probably laggy.

TheGhost
May 6th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Hah. I got great activity from the ads today. If it were like this every day, this wouldn't even be an issue!

By the way, multiple clicks do not register, some people don't realize that. I think only like 2 clicks per hour registers or something.

mR_r0b0to
May 6th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Hah. I got great activity from the ads today. If it were like this every day, this wouldn't even be an issue!

By the way, multiple clicks do not register, some people don't realize that. I think only like 2 clicks per hour registers or something.

multiple clicks don't register?

:o

Patrickssj6
May 6th, 2007, 12:51 PM

I'm gonna leave my Macro prog on for tonight.

Click 2 times each hour:D

p0lar_bear
May 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I'm gonna leave my Macro prog on for tonight.

Click 2 times each hour:D

Bad idea. If Google finds ad abuse like that, the account becomes invalid and Ghost won't get any more money for the site and bandwidth.