PDA

View Full Version : Segway boss dies after riding a segway off a cliff.

Timo
September 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10676560

LONDON - A wealthy British businessman who owns the company that makes the two-wheeled Segway people transporter has been found dead in a river in northern England after apparently falling off a cliff on one of the vehicles, police said.

The body of 62-year-old James Heselden and a Segway personal transporter were found in the River Wharfe and he was pronounced dead at the scene, West Yorkshire police said.

Police said a witness had reported seeing a man fall Sunday over a nine-metre drop into the river near the village of Boston Spa, 225 kilometres north of London.

"The incident is not believed to be suspicious," police said, indicating they do not believe anyone else was involved.

Police have not revealed further details about the incident. A dozen members of Heselden's family asked for privacy after placing flowers at the heavily wooded accident site, which is popular with hikers and nature lovers.

Heselden made his fortune through his firm Hesco Bastion, which developed the "Hesco" blast wall system that replaced the sand bags used to protect troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. He bought control of the Bedford, New Hampshire-based Segway in December.

Hesco Bastion is based in Leeds, near the tough Halton Moor area where Heselden grew up. He left school at 15 and first worked as a coal miner before becoming a businessman and later a well known philanthropist.

Hesco Bastion said Heselden recently gave US$15.9 million to the Leeds Community Foundation, raising his total charitable giving to 23 million pounds.

"Jimi was an amazing man who, apart from being a wonderful success story for Leeds due to his business acumen, was also remarkably selfless and generous, giving millions to local charities to help people in his home city," said Tom Riordan, the chief executive of Leeds City Council.

He described Heselden as a quiet, good-natured man who was tremendously proud of being from Leeds and who often said those who had prospered had an obligation to help others.

"There are people out there who are making money and when times are good I honestly believe people have a moral obligation to use their wealth to help others," Heselden told the Yorkshire Post earlier this year.

"Life turned out pretty well for me, but I still work in the same area where I grew up and everyday I see people who for whatever reason are down on their luck."

The battery-powered Segway, which is stabilised by gyroscopes, was invented by Dean Kamen, who founded the company in 1999.
what.

BobtheGreatII
September 27th, 2010, 06:46 PM
That's almost a Darwin Award.

ICEE
September 27th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Probably an accident. Perhaps a steep slope that led to this cliff, and he couldn't stop, or see the edge before it was too late.

Or suicide, who knows.

Maniac
September 27th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Segwacide?

CrAsHOvErRide
September 27th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I lol'd as well when I read this.

ThePlague
September 27th, 2010, 09:33 PM
We really Segway'd from this conversation, guys.

Rob Oplawar
September 27th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Lol, wut? Really?
Well, that's what he gets for trying to take over a company whose powers he does not understand. The Segway demands sacrifice.
e: shit, I really should be more respectful of the deceased. It is rather tragic.

Timo
September 27th, 2010, 11:13 PM
He probably had a gun pointed to the back of his head as he leaned forward to his doom.

Bodzilla
September 28th, 2010, 02:00 AM
He probably had a gun pointed to the back of his head as he leaned forward to his doom.
omfg :shocked:
:XD:

Limited
September 28th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Nice one guys...=/

He was a great man, did some fantastic things, much respect. RIP.

CrAsHOvErRide
September 28th, 2010, 08:19 AM
If you have so much respect then go to his funeral. Online "RIP"? He won't care shit. Just like those people that pretend helping the world by donating $5 annually for Aids.

He had a fortunate life now he had to pay for it. Many more people that die each second deserve a RIP more than him.

=sw=warlord
September 28th, 2010, 08:26 AM
If you have so much respect then go to his funeral. Online "RIP"? He won't care shit. Just like those people that pretend helping the world by donating $5 annually for Aids.

He had a fortunate life now he had to pay for it. Many more people that die each second deserve a RIP more than him.

I'd like to see you pay nearly $16 million to charity out of your own pocket.
Without disrespecting the dead, an RIP in person or online make no difference, in neither case are they going to consciously know either way.

CrAsHOvErRide
September 28th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I'd like to see you pay nearly $16 million to charity out of your own pocket.

Obviously you did not understand my point. So here it is again for you: If you want to help, go help actively. Not send some $5 bills to Haiti because there was an earthquake because 2 weeks later the obvious happened: Political groups murdered people and grabbed the money and fled. Nice helping there.

All hypocrisy and empty words.

=sw=warlord
September 28th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Your cynicism will be your undoing.
The guy donated to a group he knew was credible, had lived in that city his entire life and wanted to give something back which paid off.
Not every charity or communal organization are greedy bastards, I live not too far away from Leeds and have seen some of the work done around the place by the community fund scheme there.

CrAsHOvErRide
September 28th, 2010, 10:05 AM
You should try to understand what I am writing because no where I wrote about HIS charity. I was talking about charity in general and how people are hypocritical about it just like the R.I.P "fad".

I also never said that every donation made will land in the pocket of other people. But don't think your $5 you donated to Haiti will turn into 4 water bottles.

ICEE
September 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
He had money so he must have been bad, glory to the people's republik

This is what you sound like. Was this guy notorious for being a dick? Is it necessary to belittle his death? Sure, people die all the time, and because they are not famous we don't make threads about them, but that is in no way intended to elevate this man above others.

Also, way to get schooled by warlord.

"charity is bad. Hurrr thats not what I meant... THIS charity is bad.. yeah. Your dumb because you didn't FIGURE THAT OUT"

CrAsHOvErRide
September 28th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I cannot believe the amount of stupidity..maybe you shouldn't join the bandwagon and read first.

Did I ever write something about him being a dick? The only time I referred to him was when I replied to Limited's post about "RIP" comments online. The topic title already inclines laughable irony. Was it important what brand he was riding when he went off that cliff? No, you stupid twat and this has nothing to do with him and his charity which I never talked about.

Learn to fucking read. 2 people schooled by me and if any one of your stupid friends want to join in go ahead.

Actually, just fuck this. Talking to people with an IQ below room temperature makes no sense.

Donut
September 28th, 2010, 03:11 PM

who got on your bad side? limited is just saying RIP for fucks sake.

Limited
September 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I cannot believe the amount of stupidity..maybe you shouldn't join the bandwagon and read first.

Did I ever write something about him being a dick? The only time I referred to him was when I replied to Limited's post about "RIP" comments online. The topic title already inclines laughable irony. Was it important what brand he was riding when he went off that cliff? No, you stupid twat and this has nothing to do with him and his charity which I never talked about.

Learn to fucking read. 2 people schooled by me and if any one of your stupid friends want to join in go ahead.

Actually, just fuck this. Talking to people with an IQ below room temperature makes no sense.
Wow.

He developed kit that helps save soldiers lives, hes given money to charities, not for the fame or the glory, but out of the goodness of his heart to help make a difference to peoples lives. He supported Help for Heroes which is a charity that helps soldiers once they return from war zones, when the government doesnt give a shit, his money does tremendous help to the people. I say all this so you get an idea of what kind of person he was, he isnt just "a funny headline". Hes a person, he is a father.

His death was tragic, if you knew what he was like as a man, you'd understand and respect him. You wouldnt laugh at his misfortune.

As for the RIP, its a kind gesture. It shows my respect for him. His funeral is a private function, I live the otherside of the country, so I cant go and lay flowers or cards at the place where he died.

Llama Juice
September 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I hate when people say rest in peace to those who have died.

It makes me angry and makes me want to steal from charities because they don't deserve the money.

DarkHalo003
September 28th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Obviously you did not understand my point. So here it is again for you: If you want to help, go help actively. Not send some $5 bills to Haiti because there was an earthquake because 2 weeks later the obvious happened: Political groups murdered people and grabbed the money and fled. Nice helping there.

All hypocrisy and empty words.
Wow. I know what you mean and I'm glad you think physically helping is better than financially helping, but put it in a better way that doesn't sound like this is all that every person does. Because it's not. Your idea sounds raw in this way and a tad bit too emotional. The man had a business to run and probably doesn't have five hours out of every day (hell a freaking week) to help local charities physically. He did what he could. You know some of those people who pay $5 for those relief funds? Well their intentions are usually good and maybe that's all they can help with considering God knows what financial problems they undergo. There are too many variables to make such assertions.

RIP matters if the person saying it means it. Who the hell are you to say what it means to people otherwise?

ICEE
September 28th, 2010, 09:54 PM
RIP crash's 'cool guy' status.

Aerowyn
September 29th, 2010, 12:38 AM
When I heard that he died on a Segway, not knowing that it was off a cliff, I was like... "What was it? A low speed collision?"

I think the next model of the Segway will come with an emergency break and air bags.

=sw=warlord
September 29th, 2010, 10:24 AM

Coming from the person who has the same body temperature as the average potato that's though talk.
I would have to take a guess and say what I said hit a nerve and drove home how ironic your comments were.
The only laughable irony in this thread were your own comments, but that seems to have been dealt with now, sometimes the bitch just needs a muzzle to stop them from uncontrollably biting random people.
You seem to have the callousness and disrespect to laugh at the death of someone who quite possibly had many friends, family and co workers, I hope Karma works out for you when it's your turn.