PDA

View Full Version : My Worst Enemy of CE. ERRORs.

DarkHalo003
October 3rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I've about had it with ERRORs and Red Triangles. These types of things wreck every map that I model and those maps just end up being shelved because I run out of time to finish them on a consistent basis. I know there are tuts out there and fake-tools to not have errors, but considering most people here are above decent BSP modelers, how have y'all been able to cope with these ERRORs and Red Triangles? Is it a process that every mapper has to go through to get their map done? What are some tips ahead of time to make sure that Red Triangles and ERRORs are less common the first time the map is modeled?

ejburke
October 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM
It's been a while, but I recall having difficulties on my first map and not as many problems on subsequent maps. It is a methodical process of ironing out issues, but it never took me more than half a day to work through.

If you're having errors all over the place, it's probably the methods you are using to edit the geometry. Some modifiers and operations can leave degenerate triangles or nonmanifold geometry. It's been so long, though. Can't give any specific examples. If you find an error, figure out what you did to the geometry and try to find a different way of doing it that leaves a clean, error-free mesh.

Vicky
October 3rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
Although perhaps not the best thing around but you can check for some errors in 3DS already: STL check.

Siliconmaster
October 4th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Sticking with edit poly and extrude/inset/bevel, etc. prevents a lot of that. If more complex shapes are needed, just keeping the closed world rules in mind, using STL check (as Vicky pointed out), and converting the final model to edit mesh before export all help to fix those issues.

sleepy1212
October 4th, 2010, 07:35 AM
don't forget: vert select, ctrl-a, weld 0.01

Siliconmaster
October 4th, 2010, 08:18 AM
^Ah, very good point.

DarkHalo003
October 4th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I see what y'all mean. I Vert Model and use shortcuts like selecting the edge and using shift to create decent patterns for the wireframe (in other words, so I don't use unnecessary pollies). I also use Gmax, which lacks a few tools and the nicer interface that makes things a lot easier. Will get 3ds next year when I legally can though. The biggest problem is when I go to create a face and one of the verts isn't visible at the angle where the other 2-3 ones are.

sleepy1212
October 5th, 2010, 07:52 AM
yea that does suck, i don't know how to fix that...i wonder if backface cull works on verts too

Maniac
October 5th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Rightclik where it says perspective, there is a transparency none/simple/best
maybe that helps?

DarkHalo003
October 5th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Rightclik where it says perspective, there is a transparency none/simple/best
maybe that helps?
Thanks for the advice. I'll try next time I go in Gmax. What are these ERRORs necessarily though? What would they do to the BSP in-game?

Vicky
October 5th, 2010, 05:14 PM
If you'd get your map build you can expect glitches, most known i think is the one on Danger canyon between the 2 bases..

sleepy1212
October 6th, 2010, 07:32 AM
depends on which ones they are, red covers a few..

DarkHalo003
November 6th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I tried various methods and none of them seemed to work to fix my vertex problem. Oh well. Worst case, I'll just delay the release of some models and maps until I have the ability to Download 3ds for free via Student versions when I get to college next year. Thankfully Advantage's problems are just me merging Bungie's architecture (they model differently than I do) with my own stuff, which in the end makes things more difficult with fixing errors. Oh well. More practice for me I guess.

.Wolf™
November 8th, 2010, 11:56 AM
If you'd get your map build you can expect glitches, most known i think is the one on Danger canyon between the 2 bases..
Not really no. I highly doubt that the glitch in Danger canyon is caused by an error. But if you do want to check out what might happen, go play Helix canyon.