PDA

View Full Version : Information about the history of Modding

Hyperion58
October 6th, 2010, 07:20 PM
So first, I apologize if this question has already been asked or if I am not on the right category. I want to learn more about the history of modding on Halo, which was the first modder, when the first community mapping was created, which are the most famous modders etc ...

So if you have some useful information about the early days of Halo Modding I will be happy to hear them :awesomesanta:.

=sw=warlord
October 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Well to start you off, the first modders used Hex editors and were mainly based on Xbox platform.
As far as I am aware, Iron forge, Grenadiac were among the first to mod Halo.
There used to be a site called Halomods.com which was previously owned by grenadiac and iron forge which has since deceased.

Siliconmaster
October 7th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I can fill in a little more, based on my experiences:

After Halo Custom Edition came out, a large number of people began working on maps and mods, and groups were formed to work on larger projects. H2CE is the one that first comes to mind. CMT appeared a little later. Primary forums that I am aware of included the gearbox forums, EP Gamers, and more that I'm sure I'm missing. When Halo 2 Vista was announced, this site was created by The Ghost and jcap, and then when that game failed, this site was renamed Modacity and remained a HCE centered modding/mapping site. It's technically multi-game, but *shrug*

STLRamsFan
October 8th, 2010, 09:45 AM
This might help a bit:

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=57822

Hyperion58
October 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Ok thanks all. This allowed me to learn more about it and was very helpful.

Siliconmaster
October 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks for posting that link Ram- I hadn't seen that before. So many people have contributed to CE and this community that it's hard to keep track of them all. That alone is a testament to how much work has been put into this game.

Shock120
October 9th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I am sad the veterans of halomods had left, there was so much more they could do.
The amount of contributors (who left,) listed in that GBX topic outweighs those who stayed. :smith: